AuthorTopic: Gaming’s toxic men  (Read 112 times)

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Gaming’s toxic men
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:49:47 AM »
This story is not another attempt to chronicle the activities of racist and misogynist men who harass women and people of color on social media and in multiplayer games.

Nor is it an existential inquiry into their particular niche in the video game community. Rather, this story asks: Where do they come from? Why they are here? And what allows them to stay?

What follows are interviews — under a variety of rubrics — with 11 writers and academics who have studied and published useful work on the problem of misogyny and racism in gaming and in popular entertainment. Most have experienced harassment and abuse from toxic gamers.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/25/17593516/video-game-culture-toxic-men-explained
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Gaming’s toxic men
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »
This story is not another attempt to chronicle the activities of racist and misogynist men who harass women and people of color on social media and in multiplayer games.

Nor is it an existential inquiry into their particular niche in the video game community. Rather, this story asks: Where do they come from? Why they are here? And what allows them to stay?

What follows are interviews — under a variety of rubrics — with 11 writers and academics who have studied and published useful work on the problem of misogyny and racism in gaming and in popular entertainment. Most have experienced harassment and abuse from toxic gamers.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/25/17593516/video-game-culture-toxic-men-explained

It starts out virtue signaling because the truth is you found a femi-Nazi load of crap.  The virtual signaling is sugar to make the medicine go down.

I’m a feminist media scholar, and as such, I don’t believe in gender essentialism. While sex is biological, gender is a social construct. We are trained from childhood to behave in certain gendered ways.

A bevy of man hating bitches who want to redefine reality to suit their tastes.  No science. Seems to me she fully embraces her gender and has merely decided that since she wants power like she thinks all men do, she justifies it by redefining reality.  If she does not think gender is real she needs to take all her pictures advertising her feminine wiles (such as her above smile) off the net.  She shows gender in spades, and is using her social construct to her best advantage.  I suppose if you worship power gender differences become inconsequential and you can say it is all a social construct.

https://katemiltner.com/

My research examines the intersection of technology, identity, and power.

Assuming her smile advertises a 'so happy to see and meet you' attitude could be a big mistake.  I wonder if it would come as news to her that power is not such a big deal to some of us.  Some of us just want to be happy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:09:36 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »
ok, thanks.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:30:20 PM »
ok, thanks.

Seriously, this load of crap from a PHD candidate?

With the first computers, hardware design was considered to be the big challenge, and therefore was considered to be in the male domain. Programming was seen to be menial labor, like secretarial work. It was boring and repetitive, so they decided it was work for the women to do.

Show zero understanding of how it happened and shows high school intellectual development, no more.  Hardware made big money but was risky and it took a lot of ambition, drive, and resources in something that would succeed and pay back six times cost, or fail miserably.  The software industry emerged later. It is an apples and oranges situation that can't be recast to serves someone's particular sexist bias.  In the early days computers were built to serve specific needs and software was shipped along with the machine to get particular jobs done.  There was no separate software industry.  Code and machine were joined at the hip. and there could not be a software industry until computers became a consumer item or near to it enough so that a stand alone software market could be supported by users.  To  program old machines a person needed deep understanding of the machines that ran the software.  Memory was at a premium and just knowing a programming language did not make one a programmer as is alleged to do so now.  Early software also came out of university connections, which were generally male.  In the earliest of days women were important contributors because men were off fighting a war.  The big one.

If Kate thinks history was planned by evil overlords she needs to be baking cookies.  Early software was controlled by hardware manufactures, which because women had been involved were more tolerant of womens' equality than average for industry in general at the time.  These companies were out to make money.  If women could fill the small niche software market in a land where computers still only numbered in the thousands; they'd not let bias get in the way of making money.

Fact is it is a mixed bag.  In any time and place there are good and bad people.

When software actually became an industry, it was an industry controlled by men.  That's a different time place and story.  Apples and oranges.  There have also been women nurds all along.  Just not so many of them.  Which means, talent is not ignored or there would not be any.

PHD Candidates, particularly those in the social sciences should be aware of the implications of overlapping bell curves.  The implications being that things often are not what they seem.

If a line of 200 random women line up and a man taller than 6 feet tall stands behind them chances are he will be able to see over all of them.  I'm tall enough so that if I encounter a woman taller than me it freaks me out.  Tingles my spine, oh yeah.

How this relates to the social justice warrior is that what may look like oppression can be the result of a filtering process, even a benign filtering process where everyone is complicit, interacting with the bell curves of life.  Venture capital constituted a huge filter.  Men had the money to gamble with and were willing to take the chance.  Programming skill I'd not reduce to an easy quantifiable ability but for sure it follows a bell curve and does not distribute equally among the population be they men or women. 

History is a;so not always about winners and losers.  Sometimes perceived winners are those who showed up first and took the chance and that is all there is too it.  Kate Miltner erred in assuming the ascent of the computer industry was a zero sum game.  It was a dynamic phenomena where those who took advantage of new opportunities succeeded.  It was and is a competitive industry because of the need to be first.  There was low hanging fruit which at the time few could see.  Those who could see it did well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:11:19 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.