PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Rich Are Not Like You And Me

AuthorTopic: The Rich Are Not Like You And Me  (Read 626 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Rich Are Not Like You And Me
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »
Nonsense. You have completely twisted and contorted your original posting on Madam Devos, which was a failed attempt to try and plead your case that you are not rich because she is much richer than you.

I get that you think that, but you're wrong. Which just makes my point. It's fucking hopeless. End of message.

Look at it from my point of view Edward. You know I'm a cheap prick and always looking for a bargain or deal. How can I be a smart shopper with that game you gum slashers are playing??

You guys are sending us smart shopper cheap pricks down to Mexico like RE. GO wants to say here for his dental work. I saw a movie once and Mexico never appealed to me for a second after viewing it.

And then your telling everyone to raise my taxes and lower yours cause your really poor.  ::)

You had to just know your pal GO would find that just a tad upsetting.  :'(

Goldfinger
Goldfinger

I Like my Money as Much as You Like Yours Edward 

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
But that is how it works.  You pay for a visit because a dentist should look in your mouth for free why?  At the end of the visit you get a estimate, in writing if you wish.  There isn't anything more complicated than that so if you do what the consumer is supposed to do and shop around you could get a better deal if you wish.  The choice is yours. 
No, you get a written estimate AT THE BEGINNING, which is a BINDING CONTRACT.  That is THE LAW.  The fact that 99% ignore it does not make it less so.  If the dentist wants to charge for the exam, s/he is allowed.  But the price must be stated upfront, and it must be irrespective of whether or not the patient has insurance.  And of course, things will come up that change the situation, e.g. what the dentist initially thought he could handle with a filling he realizes requires a root canal, but the patient must agree to the changes before being charged for them.

Auto repair shops used to pull the same crap that medical providers do now, and made the same arguments doctors do, but once the law was enforced on them, they managed to adjust their business practices so that they could survive.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
But that is how it works.  You pay for a visit because a dentist should look in your mouth for free why?  At the end of the visit you get a estimate, in writing if you wish.  There isn't anything more complicated than that so if you do what the consumer is supposed to do and shop around you could get a better deal if you wish.  The choice is yours. 
No, you get a written estimate AT THE BEGINNING, which is a BINDING CONTRACT.  That is THE LAW.  The fact that 99% ignore it does not make it less so.  If the dentist wants to charge for the exam, s/he is allowed.  But the price must be stated upfront, and it must be irrespective of whether or not the patient has insurance.  And of course, things will come up that change the situation, e.g. what the dentist initially thought he could handle with a filling he realizes requires a root canal, but the patient must agree to the changes before being charged for them.

Auto repair shops used to pull the same crap that medical providers do now, and made the same arguments doctors do, but once the law was enforced on them, they managed to adjust their business practices so that they could survive.

You can't get a "written estimate" from a Medical Criminal Racketeer.  Believe me I have tried this with every last procedure and test I have taken over the last 3 years, and it is simply impossible.  They tell you they can't forsee all the possibilities for complications.  They also negotiate different prices with different insurance carriers.  The carrier won't tell you what the "customary" charges are they will pay and what they won't.  On top of all that,  if you don't sign a blanket release promising to pay whatever they charge that the insurance doesn't pay, they simply will refuse to do the procedure, so you have to sign on the dotted line.

It amounts to a contract under duress, and is a violation of tort law.  One of these days I may take one of these racketeers to court over it.  Up till now, I have got away very cheap, the one time I did receive some healthy bills unpaid by insurance I simply did not pay them and let them go to collections.  The dunners were after me for a few years, but eventually they faded away.  That was from my first operation, the roto-rooter of my femoral arteries back in 2011.

RE
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:59:31 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »

You can't get a "written estimate" from a Medical Criminal Racketeer.  Believe me I have tried this with every last procedure and test I have taken over the last 3 years, and it is simply impossible.  They tell you they can't forsee all the possibilities for complications.  They also negotiate different prices with different insurance carriers.  The carrier won't tell you what the "customary" charges are they will pay and what they won't.  On top of all that,  if you don't sign a blanket release promising to pay whatever they charge that the insurance doesn't pay, they simply will refuse to do the procedure, so you have to sign on the dotted line.

It amounts to a contract under duress, and is a violation of tort law.  One of these days I may take one of these racketeers to court over it.  Up till now, I have got away very cheap, the one time I did receive some healthy bills unpaid by insurance I simply did not pay them and let them go to collections.  The dunners were after me for a few years, but eventually they faded away.  That was from my first operation, the roto-rooter of my femoral arteries back in 2011.

RE

Will homeopathic practitioners provide this info ?
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »

RE

You shouldn't have to take them to court. Our bought and paid for government should require them to
post an accurate price list for their services or revoke their license to practice, or better still show them a jail cell for price fixing and extortion. Simple, and believe you me, you will know what a filling or tooth yanking will cost PRONTO!

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »

RE

You shouldn't have to take them to court. Our bought and paid for government should require them to
post an accurate price list for their services or revoke their license to practice, or better still show them a jail cell for price fixing and extortion. Simple, and believe you me, you will know what a filling or tooth yanking will cost PRONTO!

I thought you were in favor of smaller Goobermint and less interference with Bizness?  ???   :icon_scratch:  Isn't that the Libertarian Mantra?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »

RE

I thought you were in favor of smaller Goobermint and less interference with Bizness?  ???   :icon_scratch:  Isn't that the Libertarian Mantra?

RE

I have an estimate for work I'm having done at the end of the month (the 27th) and if I wanted to find a new dentist to do the work nothing could stop me.  It may be different other places but where I am it seems to be no different than getting a car fixed or getting a new roof.  You get estimates and pick the best one and the state consumer laws say that is the way it is.  Dental cost is uniformly high because of the insurance industry, and because I'm insured through my employer why would I shop around?  My employer would even think it would be a waste of time, effort expended (another examination) would not return sufficient savings.  All you could do is get a non-binding estimate unless you went through another examination.  But most likely a new initial-walk in estimate would be in good faith because you would know exactly what you need.  I'd be within my rights to find a new dentist if I wished.

And insurance would pay for a new set of X-Rays and a new examination.  The new examination would be legit.  Sorry about the X-Rays.

Insurance eliminates the variability a market creates and forces things high.  Getting multiple estimates for car repairs and roofs is essential but prices for dentists are uniformly high because of insurance.  The insurance industry does not fuck up car repairs quite as badly as car repair work can actually look and be different to different eyes and skill levels.  You could get a car repair deal if a shop owner has easy access to a totaled car with the exact parts you need.  That sort of thing is not going to happen in a dentist chair.  A filling is a filling.  Trouble you may have is finding a dentist that will take your insurance or treat you without any insurance at all. 

Eddy can respond by saying some insurances don't pay enough.  He would be right, there is a war on out there.  A war that has dentists asking for the moon because they have to, and insurance companies pushing back in a churn that the consumer pays for.  Many dollars going to people who don't even look in your mouth.

Adam Smith would not like what is going on at all.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:57:30 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.