AuthorTopic: US Economy 2018 - The Great Boom  (Read 153 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
US Economy 2018 - The Great Boom
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
Here is a chart of one very important aspect of our great economic Boom.

In my opinion is also a great graph showing the power of propaganda and the utter Bull Shit emanating from the MSM and their disgusting business channels  CNBC, FBN, and Bloomberg.         GO

The only demographic whose labor participation rate has gone up since 2000 is the 55 & older crowd. :icon_scratch:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2018/08/07/long-term-trends-in-employment-by-age-group  :icon_study: :icon_study:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: US Economy 2018 - The Great Boom
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:19:49 AM »
The 20th century custom of an easy and early retirement has run its course, and most people will try to work, in order to maintain some kind of decent life. Only the best savers and and most prudent investors have enough to retire comfortably, and a goodly number of them got wiped out in 2000 and/or 2008.

Because the financial advice they got was to ride out down markets, and that wasn't necessarily great advice, imho.

My belief is that many of them started into these big downturns intending to stand pat, but then, at the very worst moment when things looked black, just sold off their stocks at the bottom, like people do sometimes.

Those who did stand pat did better than those people, but the smart people got out early and were buyers at the bottom instead of sellers.

Human nature always works against financial prudence.

And then we have the masses, who never do anything for their own old age. Some of these people never had the means, it's true, but many more just let life carry them along and expected somebody or something to save them.  Grasshoppers. Lots of grasshoppers. Americans tend to be grasshoppers.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Economists: Second-longest economic boom in US history ends in 2020 … with a recession.

• August 6, 2018
by BRANDON A. WEBER
Article Image
NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 17: Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange September 17, 2008 in New York City. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed down 449 points today despite American International Group, Inc. (AIG) $85 billion government ba

60 private-sector economists were recently surveyed by the Wall Street Journal, and their prediction is somewhat dire. 59% of them say the economic expansion that began in 2009 after the Great Recession of 2008took the wind out of the world’s economic sails will end in 2020. Another 22% pegged the year 2021. What lies beyond that is probably another recession, the depths of which will likely become apparent as things progress — or, rather, regress. 

“The current economic expansion is getting long in the tooth by historical standards, and more late-cycle signs are emerging,” said Scott Anderson, chief economist at Bank of the West, who was among those economists predicting a 2020 recession.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/economists-think-the-next-u-s-recession-could-begin-in-2020-1525961127

Source and credit.

62% of the survey respondents indicated an overheating economy tied with the tightening of the Federal Reserve interest rates as reasons things will get worse. 

It’s worth noting that these kinds of things are very hard to predict, so a grain of salt is warranted. However, with a total of 81% of economists surveyed by the WSJ predicting that things will hit the fan by 2021, it seems likely that it’s coming. 

The current “boom” is second only to the 1990 information technology economic bubble that lasted nearly 10 years and coincided almost exactly with the years Bill Clinton was President.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/economists-think-the-next-u-s-recession-could-begin-in-2020-1525961127Interestingly, the same survey revealed that those same economists do not think the "tax breaks passed by Congress have anything to do with the current economic expansion.

That same expansion has left many people underemployed and earning less than before the Great Recession of 2008, as well as losing health insuranceand retirement savings, which could mean when the next bust happens, poor and working-class people will be in much worse shape than ever. And that, coupled with the elimination of some social safety nets across many states in the U. S., means the future might be pretty bleak, indeed. 

At least, for those without a pile of money to rely on.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »
I would consider 2020 quite a stretch from my observation post. :icon_scratch:

Who knows?  :dontknow:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 06:48:54 AM »

If you had to make a call, would it be sooner or later?

Not a trap;I don't really know. We ALL know the folly of trying to time a collapse. Just wondering what you meant by a stretch.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »

If you had to make a call, would it be sooner or later?

Not a trap;I don't really know. We ALL know the folly of trying to time a collapse. Just wondering what you meant by a stretch.

First quarter of 2019 would be my guess.

My honest feeling is this so called Trump Boom is one of the biggest fantasies I've ever witnessed.

The economic data is so maligned and twisted by lies and deceitful adjustments however, we could well be in one already.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:06:29 AM by Surly1 »

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: US Economy 2018 -
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 05:52:38 AM »
In March of 2018, the U.S. national debt topped $21 trillion dollars, and now the average debt liability for an individual taxpayer is projected to be $161,022 by 2019. This means that every American taxpayer pretty much owes the government a house, when you consider that the median house price is around $200,000.

That’s right, even your happy, bubbly one-year-old future taxpayer, who is too new to the planet to have any idea what any of this means, will owe someone else a house by the time she’s old enough to get a job.

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2018/08/14/u-s-national-debt-now-equivalent-to-the-amount-of-money-missing-from-the-treasury/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: US Economy 2018 -
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
In March of 2018, the U.S. national debt topped $21 trillion dollars, and now the average debt liability for an individual taxpayer is projected to be $161,022 by 2019. This means that every American taxpayer pretty much owes the government a house, when you consider that the median house price is around $200,000.

That’s right, even your happy, bubbly one-year-old future taxpayer, who is too new to the planet to have any idea what any of this means, will owe someone else a house by the time she’s old enough to get a job.

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2018/08/14/u-s-national-debt-now-equivalent-to-the-amount-of-money-missing-from-the-treasury/

Likely to become even more of a problem now that Turkey, along with Russia and China, has stopped sopping up this debt.

A reminder that the dollar is not backed by US Treasuries so much as by the US thermonuclear arsenal.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
US Economy 2018 - The Great Boom/Soros makes stock move on FB Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
After Calling Social Media ‘Menace to Society’ George Soros Now Buying Up Facebook & Twitter Shares

After George Soros referred to social media as a “menace to society” the controversial billionaire had a change of heart and began buying it up.
By

The Free Thought Project

August 16, 2018

RT) Months after denouncing social media as a “menace to society,” controversial billionaire George Soros is again investing into Facebook, Twitter and streaming services Spotify and Pandora, while scaling back his Google holdings.

With hedge funds filing their second-quarter statements with regulators this week, it has emerged that Soros Fund Management LLC is once again investing in Facebook. The fund has also bought shares in Twitter and the two streaming platforms, while selling off some stock in Google’s parent company Alphabet Inc. and Amazon.com.

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/author/tftp/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind