AuthorTopic: EXTRA! EXTRA! ALERT! TESLA TO GO PRIVATE AT 420 A SHARE SAY'S MUSK  (Read 239 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
 :o :o :o :o :o ::)

Tesla reopens 10% higher after Elon Musk lays out thoughts on going private
  ::) ::)

CEO Elon Musk said in a blog post that he wants to take the company private, in what would be the largest deal of its kind, but a final decision has not been made.

The move seemed to come out of nowhere, but Tesla has been under a great deal of pressure to meet its ambitious and expensive goals. The electric car maker is burning through billions and has faced numerous questions about its ability to profitably and reliably produce electric cars for the masses and solar power products. Taking the company private would remove much of that scrutiny.

"First, a final decision has not yet been made, but the reason for doing this is all about creating the environment for Tesla to operate best," Musk said in the post.

"As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla, all of whom are shareholders," he added.

Being public also requires Tesla to publicly report quarterly earnings, and puts "enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term," he said.

Musk also cited Tesla's status as the most shorted publicly traded company, giving large numbers of short sellers incentive to attack the company.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/08/07/tesla-says-no-final-decision-has-been-made-to-take-company-private.html  :o ::)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:44:48 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: EXTRA! EXTRA! ALERT! TESLA TO GO PRIVATE AT 420 A SHARE SAY'S MUSK
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »
TBTF

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:34:10 PM »
I don't blame him for taking the company private. But leaking the supposed $420 buy out price smacks of manipulation. Aren't there rules against that sort of thing?

To Big To Fail? Not these days.

Tesla Model S has reached (or almost reached) the 200K production threshold and so no tax rebate for buyers after this year. Not that losing a $7500 rebate on a $100K car is a deal breaker for Tesla owners, who tend to have more money than most people.

Very nice cars. I always wanted the company to make it, but my understanding is that they've never come close to profitability.

Robert Kyosaki used to tell a joke about when he was a T-Shirt entrepreneur. He would smile and say they were losing 10 cents a shirt, but they were making it up on volume. They sold a LOT of shirts. LOL. That's Tesla in a nutshell.

I'll stick with my Volt.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:26:07 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
TBTF

Probably not.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »
I don't blame him for taking the company private. But leaking the supposed $420 buy out price smacks of manipulation. Aren't there rules against that sort of thing?

To Big To Fail? Not these days.

Tesla Model S has reached (or almost reached) the 200K production threshold and so no tax rebate for buyers after this year. Not that losing a $7500 rebate on a $100K car is a deal breaker for Tesla owners, who tend to have more money than most people.

Very nice cars. I always wanted the company to make it, but my understanding is that they've never come close to profitability.

Robert Kyosaki used to tell a joke about when he was a T-Shirt entrepreneur. He would smile and say they were losing 10 cents a shirt, but they were making it up on volume. They sold a LOT of shirts. LOL. That's Tesla in a nutshell.

I'll stick with my Volt.

I would like to know whee he comes up with 70 billion to take it private or at least a large portion of that amount since he own 20% of it.  :icon_scratch:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »
NPR hinted Saudi money. I'm sure you probably heard that already. I had to go to the farm after work and I heard that in the car. Arab oil money anyway...

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
TBTF

Probably not.

Having my doubts about this. Something very fishy about all this at least at first glance.

Elon loses almost a billion in the last quarter, and tuns around and takes this thing private 100 dollars a share above it's current price.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :Thinkingof_:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
NPR hinted Saudi money. I'm sure you probably heard that already. I had to go to the farm after work and I heard that in the car. Arab oil money anyway...

Yes I did Eddie, and thought it would be a good fit for them since they are paranoid of a world without oil needed.

Then however I thought about the price. As you mentioned your Volt, I thought of it as well. They could buy all of GM for 1/3 the price and GM has invested billions in their new EV models about to come out. This just doesn't add up, but stranger things have happened.  :dontknow:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:23:29 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
I'm wondering where all this money is going to head if this comes to fruition.

Any ideas on where the 70 billion would go to seek a new home? Shareholders in this company are an extremely optimistic group, tech lovers, and see a great future for EV's as obvious clues.  :cwmddd:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »

Yes I did Eddie, and thought it would be a good fit for them since they are paranoid of a world without oil needed.

Then however I thought about the price. As you mentioned your Volt, I thought of it as well. They could buy all of GM for 1/3 the price and GM has invested billions in their new EV models about to come out. This just doesn't add up, but stranger things have happened.  :dontknow:

New Teslas for all the thousands of Saudi women who just got their right to drive. Charged by PV's. No need for oil.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
My thoughts are drifting towards a group of deep pockets involved here. The Japanese giant Panasonic that makes and owns the batteries and battery technology for this car. Perhaps Google might appear with it's interest in AI and even Apple could be involved, long rumored to be going the Auto route. Who knows.

Hitting the hay, it's been a long and very hot day. Weather is totally off the wall crazy in Beantown as well as most everywhere else.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »

Any ideas on where the 70 billion would go to seek a new home? Shareholders in this company are an extremely optimistic group, tech lovers, and see a great future for EV's as obvious clues.  :cwmddd:

A Chevy Bolt, which goes 238 miles on a charge, goes for around $40K loaded (not a lot of frills offered, interior looks almost exactly like the Volt). It is selling well, and would be selling more if they could make them faster. I expect it's an excellent car. They are selling well in Korea and Canada too.

The Nissan Leaf is the other eV that looks great to me.

My tastes are obviously not for 100K autos. But I do love not pumping gas. The Volt is a better car for me, because I do still make a few road trips, and I want a gas capable car for that. But the Bolt would come close. Maybe my wife's next car.

On where the money might go....last night my daughter showed me a report she got by sending her (previously done) DNA test results to some PhD who is able to give you insight into your diet, your body's ability to digest various foods, your metabolism, and susceptibility to various medical conditions. Paid ten bucks, did it all online.

I think this is an interesting new area. Not sure you can invest in it yet.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 03:52:32 AM »

I just wonder if this a gambit to screw the shorts?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 04:08:19 AM »
That is my current assessment Surly due to lack of any follow up of substance.

Mere conjecture however, on our part. Hopefully we will get some concrete evidence today of what is really going on. It makes no sense at all to me, but as you well know the markets and it's participants have become totally crazed and irrational of late.

Elon will no doubt be hounded until explaining, and if the SEC wasn't a disgrace they would halt all trading in this security until Musk came clean with something concrete. 

Will alert the Diner if I see something of substance.  It is an important item for the entire bubble market, anything like this turning out to be a fraud could prick it.   :dontknow:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 04:21:11 AM »

I just wonder if this a gambit to screw the shorts?

That's always the main reason these days to go private. To keep out the corporate raiders who want to feast on your corpse.