AuthorTopic: EXTRA! EXTRA! ALERT! TESLA TO GO PRIVATE AT 420 A SHARE SAY'S MUSK  (Read 240 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: EXTRA! EXTRA! ALERT! TESLA TO GO PRIVATE AT 420 A SHARE SAY'S MUSK
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 04:30:04 AM »
I'm wondering where all this money is going to head if this comes to fruition.

Any ideas on where the 70 billion would go to seek a new home? Shareholders in this company are an extremely optimistic group, tech lovers, and see a great future for EV's as obvious clues.  :cwmddd:

I just wonder if this a gambit to screw the shorts?

That's always the main reason these days to go private. To keep out the corporate raiders who want to feast on your corpse.

A short seller is someone who merely is betting on a fall in the stock price. They usually have no other interest than cashing in their bet if correct in my experience.

Perhaps you are correct Eddie, but from my perch a bankrupt EV company would have little to offer a raider who would prefer and asset rich corporation fallen on bad times to a debt laden auto manufacturer.

Again, from my perch nothing about this story adds up. We need some factual data.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 04:44:36 AM »
All three major business stations are now being polluted by talking heads confusing and blabbing bull shit that has turned the entire episode in to a menagerie of mindless conjecture.

The SEC should be requiring Musk to come forward with facts and leave the stock halted in trading until he does so. He is playing with all sorts of legal quagmires here if this is some sort of smart ass joke to run the shorts as Surly and I think is a possibility.

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 11:42:00 PM »
I dont know much about these thngs, but I think Muskrat must be an amazing con artist with the bigwigs who can fund him for outrageous fortune. 4 years ago a Tesla  S looked like a supercar for much less than a 911 or R35 GTR, but the same car now is old and doesnt look like 90k, plus too many have caught fire. Model X is nowhere and the model 3 is well named because it looks like a Mazda 3. You wouldnt buy one instead of a Volt, Leaf or iMiev because the Tesla customer service has a terrible reputation. So if he found some deep pocket to bail him out again, its no surprise. With all the German makers working on some very sexy EVs near completion, you wouldn't buy a Tesla now, or its shares i think.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:46:07 PM by Agent Graves »
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 03:16:02 AM »
Tesla down around twenty bucks total so far since the high reached on the going private Tweet.

Nothing of substance reported yet on the suppose financing that is in place while Musk is starting to come under some suspicion. Don't know what to think anymore about this affair except to say it has a foul odor to it so far from my perch. Just a hunch based on nothing but the weirdness of it all.   :dontknow:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »
Tesla stock has now given up the gains since the Musk tweet and the controversy still continues.

Supposedly the SEC is asking questions, a very mild response IMO.

No sense commenting further until something concrete, if ever, appears.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
I thought about what you said n regards to Tesla not having enough assets to appeal to corporate raiders.

I'm not sure that's right, although they mostly do seem to burn cash like there's no tomorrow. Still they have done what no one else has done, and  it seems to me that it is the intellectual property that might be worth quite a lot, although I have no way to value such things.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »
I thought about what you said n regards to Tesla not having enough assets to appeal to corporate raiders.

I'm not sure that's right, although they mostly do seem to burn cash like there's no tomorrow. Still they have done what no one else has done, and  it seems to me that it is the intellectual property that might be worth quite a lot, although I have no way to value such things.

I'm lost Eddie, electric vehicles are as common as truck models both before and after Elon.

What he did as Jim Chanos explains in the videos I have posted, is make a sexy stylish one, rather that a pregnant go cart with a batter in it. The pregnant go cart is my label not Jim's.

Of course if you wish to argue his name Both Tesla and Musk have value, sure their worth something but seriously would you pay 70 billion for them???  :icon_scratch:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »
I've been looking at electric vehicles fairly closely for the last few years, and I'd say you're underselling Tesla. Even the cars GM and Ford built as sacrifices to the California emissions requirements are nowhere nearly as sophisticated and yes, functional as a Tesla. They all had less than 50 mile range. The small Ford and Chevy pick-ups were the best, but the batteries were their weak point.

In Neil Young's recent autobiography of a couple of years back he talks about how his dream was to build an American car that had the size and range and luxury to be a car people would embrace. His team has never really gotten there.....but Tesla actually got it done.

This town is full of Teslas. My wife's old school chum is a very successful MD and she has one and just absolutely loves it. Tesla owners tend to be rich, smart and successful. And loyal.

Chevy has good alternatives with the Volt. (best all time hybrid for my money) and now the Bolt ( a poor man's Tesla, as long as the poor man can pony up 40K.) Nearly the range of a Tesla, but without any of the  sweet accoutrements.

I expect the household battery pack idea will eventually catch on too. It makes sense, especially  if electricity gets expensive. Not sure that's part of Tesla Motors or if it's completely separate.

Just idle curiosity on my part. I don't see an arbitrage opportunity.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »
Interesting Eddie but little to do with it's apparent extreme valuation.

Of course that's what makes markets, different opinions on value and my expertise in the topic forces me to never be dogmatic about my views as to prices that others view as valid. Flexibility and constant re evaluation are also a must.