AuthorTopic: The Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure 1: Of Talismans and Shrines  (Read 821 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on August 12, 2018

Discuss this article at the Spirituality & Mysticism Table inside the Diner

From Google

tal·is·man

ˈtaləsmən,ˈtalizmən/

noun

noun: talisman; plural noun: talismans

an object, typically an inscribed ring or stone, that is thought to have magic powers and to bring good luck.

synonyms:     lucky charm, charm, fetish, amulet, mascot, totem, juju  

"this talisman has been in our family for more than twelve generations

From Merriam Webster

Definition of talisman

plural talismans

1 : an object held to act as a charm to avert evil and bring good fortune

2 : something producing apparently magical or miraculous effects

talismanic

play \ˌta-ləs-ˈma-nik, -ləz-\ adjective

talismanically

play \ˌta-ləs-ˈma-ni-k(ə-)lē, -ləz-\ adverb

_____________________________________________________________________________________

From Google

shrine

SHrīn/

noun

noun: shrine; plural noun: shrines

a place regarded as holy because of its associations with a divinity or a sacred person or relic, typically marked by a building or other construction.

synonyms:     holy place, temple, church, chapel, tabernacle, sanctuary, sanctum

"the shrine of St. James"

a place associated with or containing memorabilia of a particular revered person or thing.

"her grave has become a shrine for fans from all over the world"

a casket containing sacred relics; a reliquary.

a niche or enclosure containing a religious statue or other object.

synonyms:     memorial, monumen

"a shrine to the Beatles

verb

literary

verb: shrine; 3rd person present: shrines; past tense: shrined; past participle: shrined; gerund or present participle: shrining

enshrine    

From Merriam-Webster

Definition of shrine

a : a case, box, or receptacle; especially : one in which sacred relics (such as the bones of a saint) are deposited

b : a place in which devotion is paid to a saint or deity : sanctuary

c : a niche containing a religious image

2 : a receptacle (such as a tomb) for the dead

3 : a place or object hallowed by its associations

As regular readers of the Diner (do we still have any?) know, the time has arrived for myself and my Cohort in Collapse Eddie to embark on the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  Now, there is no guarantee this will be the LAST "Last Adventure" I take, if you remember back a year ago at around this same time I took my first Last Adventure, down to Rexburg,ID to see the Total Eclipse of the SUN camped out in the Path of Totality.

Getting down to that one was touch-and-go right up to the last minute, and the only way I made it down there was with thehelp of my friend Brian, who flew up to accompany me and help me get my crippled ass in and out of chairs and into the planez and carz we needed to burn oil in in order to get there.  At the time I didn't think I could feel worse and still be above ground level, but I was wrong.  I am worse off now.  But still alive.  Like a Broken Clock that is right Twice a Day though, one of these "Last Adventures" will in fact be my last.  So I try to make each one special in some way, to help with the recollections as the memories grow dim and the energy level fades.

So what's with the "Talismans & Shrines" RE?  Have you gone full Matt Savinar into Astrology as a refuge from writing about and pondering on the problems of Collapse?  It might seem that way, but the reality is a little more palatable, I think.  I have always been a pretty Spiritual person, even going back to my youth as an Atheist.  In those days the Spirituality was based on beliefs in Science and Progress I no longer hold, but it was a form of Spirituality nonetheless.  None of it was provable, which is your main criteria of deciding if something is Spiritual or not. lol.

Anyhow, on metamorphosing into a Panentheist here in my later years, I found there were no modern Religions that really reflected my Spiritual philosophy, and Ancient Religions I read up on didn't appeal to me that much either.  So independent sort of guy that I am, I started to organize my own"Religion" for myself.  It's not a religion I proseletize or think anyone else should believe in, but I will answer questions about it if you ask me.  To my way of thinking, the world woud be a much nicer place if everybody had their own religion.  If you are interested, you can go back and read "On the Existence of God", an essay I wrote in response to an ongoing discussion on The Burning Platform, where I used to contribute as an Author and Commenter.

A couple of things my religion has not had to this point are any Talismans or Shrines.  You have these things in about all religions, the Christians have their Cross and the Shroud of Turin and other objects and places they worship as Holy, the Muslims have Mecca and the Buddhists have shrines all over the place. lol.

So, part of this latest Last Great Adventure was to find a Talisman and build a Shrine where I can worship the Existence of Life and the Force or Forces that direct it through the passage of Time.  I wanted it to reflect the values imbued in the SUN☼ Project as well, and visually remind you of that.  There was a lot of serendipity in terms of how I came across the objects in the Shrine, it was almost as if this was all being directed by the Finger of God.  The Shrine (or part of it) is pictured in the Header Photo at the top of this page.

Also in that pic is my Primary Talisman, but not visible as it is contained in the Black Box inside the Glass Receptacle.  This Talisman has Magical Powers, as all Talisman's do, but they are not visible to other people and don't work for other people under normal states of consciousness.  During the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure, I will hold Ceremonies to attempt to make these powers visible to my friends coming on this adventure with me.  It may or may not work, but even if it doesn't it sets this trip apart from a typical camping trip! lol.

I hope to have more on the upcoming Adventure here on these pages, though it becomes harder all the time to motivate myself to write.  I'll try to shoot pics and vids also, but the energy for editing those things is not in large supply either.  Meanwhile, don't stop following Collapse here on the Diner, though most of the good discussion is taking place Inside the Diner, so you have to go there for it not out here on the Blog.  Collapse hasn't gone away.  It's here, it's now for many already, and it's Coming Soon to a Theater Near You soon as well.

Image result for coming soon to a theater near you

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A week from now at this time, Eddie and I will be cruising in Resurrection Bay looking for Whales and other creatures of land air and sea, if there are any left to spot.

I think I will use my Authority as Keeper of the Scepter to consecrate Resurrection Bay as a Holy Place.

RE
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:59:29 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
I'd bet somebody beat you to claiming this shrine a long time ago. But I'm very excited to be able to make this trip, and as you know, I was really eager to get our asses onboard a tour vessel to see this part of Alaska from the water.

I had a sudden oh shit moment. I just realized I'm working tomorrow instead of going to market with a load of piggies. I really need to get my bags packed today.

I bought bear spray, ponying up for a two-pack of the the big cans, and then learned belatedly that the Department of Homeland Security only allows a single 4 ounce can in your check bag. Looks like I'll be saving those two 7.9 oz cans I bought at Cabelas for future defense against zombies.

Someone "misplaced" the two pairs of decent binoculars I thought I owned, and I did buy a very nice pair of Vortex Diamondback compact 8x35's that are some of the best cheap glasses I've ever used  (cheap being a relative term, which in binocular-speak means under a $1000.)
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'd bet somebody beat you to claiming this shrine a long time ago. But I'm very excited to be able to make this trip, and as you know, I was really eager to get our asses onboard a tour vessel to see this part of Alaska from the water.

I had a sudden oh shit moment. I just realized I'm working tomorrow instead of going to market with a load of piggies. I really need to get my bags packed today.

I bought bear spray, ponying up for a two-pack of the the big cans, and then learned belatedly that the Department of Homeland Security only allows a single 4 ounce can in your check bag. Looks like I'll be saving those two 7.9 oz cans I bought at Cabelas for future defense against zombies.

Someone "misplaced" the two pairs of decent binoculars I thought I owned, and I did buy a very nice pair of Vortex Diamondback compact 8x35's that are some of the best cheap glasses I've ever used  (cheap being a relative term, which in binocular-speak means under a $1000.)

You could check a bag and pack the Bear Spray in the checked bag.  Or you could Fed Ex it to me.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Maybe too late to send it FedEx? I thought about that.

But as I just said, only one sealed 4 oz can is permitted at all, even in checked luggage. Carry-on? Fuggedaboutit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Maybe too late to send it FedEx? I thought about that.

But as I just said, only one sealed 4 oz can is permitted at all, even in checked luggage. Carry-on? Fuggedaboutit.

Keep it home.  You can buy Bear Spray here by the truckload.  3 Bears carries it.

I'm bringing my Spotting Telescope and a Tripod and Monopod for it as well.

RE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6kFCNsnQpQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/m6kFCNsnQpQ&fs=1</a>

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Another rainy, damp, cold, miserable day here on the Last Great Frontier.

It appears this weather has got the etter of what is left of me, and I have contracted some respiratory infection, a cold or flu which is kicking my ass today.  With my immune system in it's current dogshit condition, I will probably have pneumonia by the time Eddie gets here.  ::)

On the upside, the weather for the trip looks somewhat better.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
It's a drizzling rain  day here, after a real rain for some unspecified time before dawn this morning. I evidently reflexively set my alarm (set for 5:30 am) last night, and the rain was happening when the alarm went off.

I had forgotten I booked Monday so I could get three days work in, and also had planned to go to the sale. Bring in the clowns clones. It would have been potentially a mudfest anyway. I have to get busy. I think the pig auction is being discontinued completely in late October. And that's litter season too. I have to get some pigs gone real soon. But it won't be this week.

I'm starting to pack. I'm making  a list and checking it twice.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's a drizzling rain  day here, after a real rain for some unspecified time before dawn this morning. I evidently reflexively set my alarm (set for 5:30 am) last night, and the rain was happening when the alarm went off.

I had forgotten I booked Monday so I could get three days work in, and also had planned to go to the sale. Bring in the clowns clones. It would have been potentially a mudfest anyway. I have to get busy. I think the pig auction is being discontinued completely in late October. And that's litter season too. I have to get some pigs gone real soon. But it won't be this week.

I'm starting to pack. I'm making  a list and checking it twice.

Don't forget the HATS.  You'll need themto protect your brain from frying when the Ancients arrive at the Ceremony.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure 1: Of Talismans and Shrines
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »
I was planning on bringing something like a ski hat for cold nights or mornings or the boat, and a baseball cap for sun and driving.. You think that'll be okay?

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
Gloves for the boat maybe?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »
I was planning on bringing something like a ski hat for cold nights or mornings or the boat, and a baseball cap for sun and driving.. You think that'll be okay?

That should work.  Mostly for the boat, but also mornings cooking until you get the campfire going a hat is nice.  A hoodie works too.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure: T-1 Day & Counting
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »
Well, unless I get a surprise visit in the next 36 hours, it looks like I have Dodged the Grim Reaper one more time to get going on the LGABLA with Eddie and Mrs. Eddie.  :icon_sunny:

Around here, I *mostly* have the digs put back together after totally tearing the place apart looking for preps buried in boxes dating back to the financial crisis of 2008.  Plenty of stuff I couldn't find and ended up buying again new. lol.  I have 2-4 copies of many things because of this problem.

Food mostly purchased and stored ready to go when we pack up the Bugout Machine, although there are last minute items (like DOUGHNUTS!) we have to stop for on the way out of town and into the *wilderness*.  lol.  Cooking gear also organized, and there is a lot of that.  I wanna do a whole series of road cooking videos and have my full road kitchen setup as a prop.  We might have to cut back on some of this stuff, it's a little over-the-top.  lol.

We also need to leave room for all my Cripple Aids, of which I have many as well.  I do know the layout of this type of Bugout Machine, it's just a newer version of my Tioga.  I think we can fit everything but it will be interesting anyhow getting it all in.

For final cleanup I am having a Pro Maid come in later today to do the bathroom and kitchen.  Mrs. Eddie is along for the ride here and women are always finnicky about bathrooms and kitchens.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
Coming down to the wire. X-ing things off the to-do list. Work has dropped off to nothing today. School starts Thursday and parents are now in panic mode.

I'm leaving early and heading home to complete a few Items i've been procrastinating on today. I will have to head to the airport directly from work tomorrow and therefore might have to do long term parking, if I can't figure out a way to get us dropped off.

I need to do a load of laundry to make sure I have clean underwear, in case we drive the RV off a cliff on some mountain pass, and end up having to be taken to the hospital.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S1eo-qVXW9I&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S1eo-qVXW9I&fs=1</a>