AuthorTopic: The Intellectual Dark Web (IDW)  (Read 371 times)

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Peterson gives Dr Oz the Deepest Conversations He's Ever Had
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 03:08:53 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AscPHmLWo-M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AscPHmLWo-M</a>

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Peterson gives Dr Oz the Deepest Conversations He's Ever Had
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AscPHmLWo-M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AscPHmLWo-M</a>

You've been able to help me put into words things I always knew to be true, but didn't know how to say.

YES!

JP says that a lot of people tell him this.

It comes up on this video at an hour and twelve minutes into the interview, which is where I am right now. I just had to stop and say that this is EXACTLY how I've felt about his stuff since the first time I listened to him.

For someone like me, who has intuitively and through much trial and error, found my way to this same kind of wisdom, it is very life affirming, and it gives me a certain amount of intellectual ammunition in some common arguments I've found myself getting into here in cyberspace, for some years now.

When you're my age, it isn't easy to find new mentors. And....at this stage of life it's also hard to get excited about falling down some new rabbit hole into yet another reality.

But...I am seriously considering taking advantage of JP's massive utoob library to become at least as educated as his lucky undergraduate students in Toronto are about what he has to share. It amounts to free college, and I'm strongly considering making a commitment to listen to ALL of it.

It would no doubt be even better to sit in his classes, and I do envy those young people who do.

I expect for some few of them, it's quite a life changing process. It makes me think back to the good guys I remember from my college days, like Richard Kim, who had so much influence on my thinking. Things I've carried with me all the way through life.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Peterson gives Dr Oz the Deepest Conversations He's Ever Had
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »

You've been able to help me put into words things I always knew to be true, but didn't know how to say.

YES!

JP says that a lot of people tell him this.

It comes up on this video at an hour and twelve minutes into the interview, which is where I am right now. I just had to stop and say that this is EXACTLY how I've felt about his stuff since the first time I listened to him.

For someone like me, who has intuitively and through much trial and error, found my way to this same kind of wisdom, it is very life affirming, and it gives me a certain amount of intellectual ammunition in some common arguments I've found myself getting into here in cyberspace, for some years now.

When you're my age, it isn't easy to find new mentors. And....at this stage of life it's also hard to get excited about falling down some new rabbit hole into yet another reality.

But...I am seriously considering taking advantage of JP's massive utoob library to become at least as educated as his lucky undergraduate students in Toronto are about what he has to share. It amounts to free college, and I'm strongly considering making a commitment to listen to ALL of it.

It would no doubt be even better to sit in his classes, and I do envy those young people who do.

I expect for some few of them, it's quite a life changing process. It makes me think back to the good guys I remember from my college days, like Richard Kim, who had so much influence on my thinking. Things I've carried with me all the way through life.

Same here. For me it's a good mix of expertly articulated truths that I already felt aligned with and also novel arguments and insights, some of which have changed my opinion on things. Also he is a great resource for figuring out which authors or books to read next. And he throws in a lot scientific studies and related stories that I would otherwise never know about.

I went through his entire 2017 personality course lectures - I also envy his students. It is well worth the time, because it also becomes a crash course in philosophy over the last few hundred years. The biblical series is of course very good too, and I believe he will be continuing with those soon.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Intellectual Dark Web (IDW)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »
I'm to the point where I'm going to hurl a 3D furball...............

Not once has the higher self been mentioned in this thread.

The recovery movement has given millions of souls a new lease on life because of the higher power/self concept.

The journey is inward. Period.

Ashvin, when you get to the other side of the veil are you in for a BIG surprise.

Chasing pied pipers is fruitless at best.

Ashvin, when I mentioned to you find a new god over the JW nonsense you posted, I wasn't a pied piper command.
Inward amigo, inward.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »

The recovery movement has given millions of souls a new lease on life because of the higher power/self concept.

Ashvin, when you get to the other side of the veil are you in for a BIG surprise.

Ashvin, when I mentioned to you find a new god over the JW nonsense you posted, I wasn't a pied piper command.
Inward amigo, inward.

With all due respect, I dont take anything you say seriously, let alone follow your instructions or advice. You enjoy being cryptic to the point of incomprehensible and acting like you are tuned into a higher metaphysical reality with certainty.

You have been predicting a complete annihilation of the Earth every month for the last few years now. How can anyone take you seriously? This thread is about having a productive and meaningful intellectual discussions, and I don't think you have any interest in that.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »
It is a sad fact of life that without any who care to stop by and visit, people create false gods.  People will believe anything rather than nothing and we are all critters in search of an explanation.  Explanations don't have to be good, any are better than nothing.

Sometimes I hear of another's obvious erroneous belief.  They may have based their whole life around said belief and the consequent appalling waste of an entire life fills me with horror.  They may even have died for it and decided bullshit was more important than their own existence.  Beam me up Skottie.  Then I wonder if I am as deluded as they and terror fills me.  Then I get Starbucks.

ďThe most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little, but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace of a new dark age.Ē
H.P. Lovecraft, first paragraph of The Call of Cthulhu

But that was then and this is now and we know the sciences have harmed us much.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »

Inward amigo, inward.

With all due respect, I dont take anything you say seriously, let alone follow your instructions or advice. You enjoy being cryptic to the point of incomprehensible and acting like you are tuned into a higher metaphysical reality with certainty.

You have been predicting a complete annihilation of the Earth every month for the last few years now. How can anyone take you seriously? This thread is about having a productive and meaningful intellectual discussions, and I don't think you have any interest in that.

It's amazing the 3D meme diversity that our Creator has presented to us this fine day.  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
Found this short interview of JBP by some ideologue at Vox, which is generally a den of ideologically possessed "journalists".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QPr10td3Ccc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QPr10td3Ccc</a>