AuthorTopic: The Intellectual Dark Web (IDW)  (Read 9044 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Intellectual Dark Web (IDW)
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
Peterson's grant wasn't denied because of political reasons;

Sorry, but I don't see any evidence that this is true. You don't even know the identities of the people who made the decision, unless you know them personally. It isn't public knowledge, to the best of my ability to investigate.

To assume that it  isn't political, just because "Julia Gualtieri a spokesman for the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada "  said so, is extremely naive and makes me think you don't know too much about academic bureaucracies. I'd like to see your proof. I know you're busy right now.

You might notice, I'm just demanding proof. I think you're wrong, but I'm prepared to eat some crow if you're right. Let's get to the truth.

I think the burden is on you and AG anybody else who wants to make this case on Peterson.  You are making claims that I think are misplaced. I want some evidence. Good evidence. So far that is not forthcoming from either of you.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
You are ever so eager to engage in slash-and-burn rhetoric about the left, but are unable to remove the plank in your eye about the right.

I don't want to eliminate the left as you imply, in fact I believe the left is absolutely necessary in Western politics and culture. But since that doesn't compute with your view of me or Peterson or anyone else who dares to criticize the extreme and abrasive left, you will just ignore it and keep labeling me a supporter of the radical right. Makes it much easier for you to maintain your ideologically-framed view of the world.

Peterson's grant wasn't denied because of political reasons

So why was it denied, Surly? Why did they go from throwing money at him for the same exact project a few years ago to denying the funding? Did his vociferous and virally popular criticism of the social sciences and humanities departments during that intervening period have any effect?

The only reason for you to feign extreme naivete here is, again, for purely ideological reasons. You don't like Peterson or anything he stands for (worse, what you incorrectly believe he stands for, since you haven't even listened to him), so you automatically defend his censors.

But one last thing... about "Rebel Media."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebel_Media

Eddie already put this nonsense to rest. Peterson didn't ask Rebel Media to raise the money and, IN FACT, Rebel Media did not contribute any money, just managed a crowdfunding campaign.

Even if Rebel Media decided to directly fund Peterson's work, who cares? Id rather have conservative groups give their money to valid and important scientific research projects than reactionary political campaigns to "defeat" the radical left who are doing the same damn thing.

But I guess you have given up on incremental scientific progress at this point, or any progress in general - only bloody revolution will suffice.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:39:13 AM by Ashvin »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
To Right Wing Fascist Enablers for Jordan Peterson Koch Brothers TOOL
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2018, 10:38:09 AM »

Nothin' like a little truth to get all the Fascist FUCKS/BOLD FACED LIARS/TRUMP APOLOGISTS that curse this forum to come charging out to kill the "off the deep end Agelbert" messenger.

I'll make the same offer to you LIARS and Trump loving FASCIST ENABLERS that RE made. YOU remove all the FASCIST ENABLER Jordan Peterson ASS KISSING POSTS from this forum and I will delete ALL POSTS that reference that BOUGHT AND PAID FOR KOCH BROTHERS + (fascist) Heritage Foundation TOOL.

For those who do not GET what Jordan Peterson in general, AND THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION IN PARTICULAR, ARE ALL ABOUT, see the graphics below.

JORDAN PETERSON 😈 IS suppored by this FASCIST 👹 Koch Brothers 🦕🦖 FRONT GROUP. Birds of a FEATHER, FLOCK 😈 👹 TOGETHER.

Heritage Foundation budget  cut percentages
[/size][/color]

Peterson SUPPORTS the elimination of social Security and Medicare. Anyone claiming otherwise (e.g. Ashvin, Eddie and K-Dog) is, in addition to being FASCIST ENABLERS, also engaging in defamation of character by calling me a liar. NONE of you fine upstanding fascist enablers have the courage to admit you are just covering your Trump loving ASS.

Yeah, I'll take this post down too when you tke all the Jordan Peterson posts down too.  :icon_sunny:

Have a nice day. 
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: To Right Wing Fascist Enablers for Jordan Peterson Koch Brothers TOOL
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
JORDAN PETERSON 😈 IS suppored by this FASCIST 👹 Koch Brothers 🦕🦖 FRONT GROUP. Birds of a FEATHER, FLOCK 😈 👹 TOGETHER.

Peterson SUPPORTS the elimination of social Security and Medicare. Anyone claiming otherwise (e.g. Ashvin, Eddie and K-Dog) is, in addition to being FASCIST ENABLERS, also engaging in defamation of character by calling me a liar. NONE of you fine upstanding fascist enablers have the courage to admit you are just covering your Trump loving ASS.

Yeah, I'll take this post down too when you tke all the Jordan Peterson posts down too.  :icon_sunny:

Have a nice day.

I'm not sure if you are a liar - you may actually believe that making reckless allegations and putting devil icons in front of them counts as some kind of indisputable evidence. I just pray that you don't sit on a jury for some unlucky bastard in a criminal trial.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »
Peterson lives in Canada. Relax, he can't take away your Social Security and Medicare.

So far you anti-Peterson folks are coming up real short on offering any real evidence for your accusations, which are way over the top. Libelous, actually.

When you lie about non-politicians in public and people know who you are, you might get sued. Jordan has sued several people already, and he will probably win.

This reply to my challenge is more or less what I expected. I am quite sure you've been scouring the internet for evidence to prove me wrong, because I know how compulsive you are. It isn't there.

So fuck off.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Surly is right. Ashvin is wrong.
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
You are ever so eager to engage in slash-and-burn rhetoric about the left, but are unable to remove the plank in your eye about the right.

I don't want to eliminate the left as you imply, in fact I believe the left is absolutely necessary in Western politics and culture. But since that doesn't compute with your view of me or Peterson or anyone else who dares to criticize the extreme and abrasive left, you will just ignore it and keep labeling me a supporter of the radical right. Makes it much easier for you to maintain your ideologically-framed view of the world.

Peterson's grant wasn't denied because of political reasons

So why was it denied, Surly? Why did they go from throwing money at him for the same exact project a few years ago to denying the funding? Did his vociferous and virally popular criticism of the social sciences and humanities departments during that intervening period have any effect?

The only reason for you to feign extreme naivete here is, again, for purely ideological reasons. You don't like Peterson or anything he stands for (worse, what you incorrectly believe he stands for, since you haven't even listened to him), so you automatically defend his censors.

But one last thing... about "Rebel Media."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebel_Media

Eddie already put this nonsense to rest. Peterson didn't ask Rebel Media to raise the money and, IN FACT, Rebel Media did not contribute any money, just managed a crowdfunding campaign.

Even if Rebel Media decided to directly fund Peterson's work, who cares? Id rather have conservative groups give their money to valid and important scientific research projects than reactionary political campaigns to "defeat" the radical left who are doing the same damn thing.

But I guess you have given up on incremental scientific progress at this point, or any progress in general - only bloody revolution will suffice.

Ashvin, your amazing ability to grasp and hold for dear debating life the most threadbare of straws is worthy of praise among the greatest Sophists around. Your skill in sophistry is quite impressive. Your sentence parsing technique is useful in isolating sentences and phrases for the express sophistic purpose of deliberately debating them out of context in order to "win" the debate. It's disingenuous to the extreme, but taking subjects out of context is part of your clever, morallity challenged, "skillset".

Despite your admitted mastery of sophistry, that don't work on learned indivduals like Surly (or me 😀). Surly and I do not always get along. However, Surly is, unlike you, a consistently straight shooter. He sees the big picture that you consistently attempt to dance around with your sentence isolating technique.

Surly is right on all counts. You are grasping at straws and engaging in fallacious debating techniques. Shame on you.

Proverbs 12 King James Version (KJV)

17 He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.

18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

20 Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counsellors of peace is joy.

Repent, Antinomian. :icon_sunny:

Faith,

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Surly is right. Ashvin is wrong.
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2018, 11:25:48 AM »
Ashvin, your amazing ability to grasp and hold for dear debating life the most threadbare of straws is worthy of praise among the greatest Sophists around. Your skill in sophistry is quite impressive. Your sentence parsing technique is useful in isolating sentences and phrases for the express sophistic purpose of deliberately debating them out of context in order to "win" the debate. It's disingenuous to the extreme, but taking subjects out of context is part of your clever, morallity challenged, "skillset".

Despite your admitted mastery of sophistry, that don't work on learned indivduals like Surly (or me 😀). Surly and I do not always get along. However, Surly is, unlike you, a consistently straight shooter. He sees the big picture that you consistently attempt to dance around with your sentence isolating technique.

Let's think about this carefully and logically - communicating complex ideas is extremely difficult to begin with (for us non-ideologues), and communicating them over the internet only adds to the complexity because we have no ability to do what humans have evolved to do over hundreds of thousands of years - examine body language and facial expressions. This whole internet thing is VERY NEW and we definitely don't know how to use it well for communication.

There is no way I am going to try and communicate here by attempting to memorize what people said in their comments and then writing a HUGE post in which I respond to what I imagine they said and throw in a bunch of icons, graphics and different fonts and colors for good measure. Then I would end up with posts which are just as full of long-winded arrogance and puffery, and as devoid of meaning, as yours.

My approach is more pragmatic - select the portions of a post that are relevant, quote what people actually wrote and respond accordingly. It's not perfect, but so far I don't see a more useful approach.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Republicans want to ELIMINATE Social Security AND Medicare
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
Peterson lives in Canada. Relax, he can't take away your Social Security and Medicare.

So far you anti-Peterson folks are coming up real short on offering any real evidence for your accusations, which are way over the top. Libelous, actually.

When you lie about non-politicians in public and people know who you are, you might get sued. Jordan has sued several people already, and he will probably win.

This reply to my challenge is more or less what I expected. I am quite sure you've been scouring the internet for evidence to prove me wrong, because I know how compulsive you are. It isn't there.

So fuck off.

Oh, really? Peterson lives in Canada. Gee, if you hadn't told me that, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS IN AN EARLIER POST I MADE, I wouldn't have knowm. Thanks for the heads up.Texas Republican fan of Jordan Peterson.

Sure, I've done a bit of research on you Fascist Hero Peterson, but mostly I have been checking out the REPUBLICAN PLANS to eliminate social Security and Medicare. And YEAH, Peterson is just one small bought and paid for cog in the REPUBLICAN PLAN to trash Medicare and Social Security. BUT, he is NOT the main force. He is just a distraction to woo those Big IQ folks who love money and could give a SHIT about social programs that help the poor and downtrodden victims of Capitalist Cruelty in the USA (and Canada too, by the way). Peterson is a Koch Brothers SUCKER PLAY. It's not my fault you and Ashvin fell for it.

Are ya gonna take down all the Jordan Peterson hero worship, or not? If ya don't, that's okay. You are an Admin an can squash me like a bug that never was if you so desire. Go ahead, if that makes you feel better. But mind you, bro, all this mud thowing   and flame warring has just attracted more beady bubble to this forum. Well I'll be a blue nosed gopher! Agelbert is a lightning rod for Doomster VIEWS!  ;) ;D

Where were we? Oh yeah, I'm a horrendous, heinous cowerdly, off the deep end liar who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the groud. Oh, and fuck me too.

It's possible, BUT....

Eddie, my boy, it does not MATTER WHAT AGELBERT IS OR IS NOT, in regard to Social Security AND Medicare. Hell, I don't even need Social Security! I get a tiny check each month that covers my Medicare Part B plus $52, PERIOD. I'm defending these programs mainly on principle. Yeah my BCBS Federal Retiree plan was forced to refund me $600 from the SEVERAL THOUSAND I paid in 2017, thanks to Medicare being the primary health care. So yeah, I do NOT want Medicare to go away. BUT, unlike the majority of Medicare and Social Security recipients, I DO NOT NEED THEM!

I DEFEND THESE PROGRAMS BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

HERE is what REPUBLICANS, including the Libertarian ASSHOLE Profit over People and Planet Koch Brothers AND the (FASCIST) Heritage Foundation PLAN. WHY DO YOU, EDDIE, ASHVIN AND K-DOG, SUPPORT THAT PLAN BY VOTING REPUBLICAN?

October 31, 2018

The GOP Dessert scheduled for AFTER the elections next week

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:02:57 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: The Orwellian Intellectual Darkness
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
Now Ashvin "isn''t sure I am a liar". That is carefully placed right before the claim that I am simply a deluded half-wit o would vote to kill innocent people if I happen to be a part of Jury in a Criminal Trial.

And ASHVIN, the mens rea modus operandi SOPHIST, wants ME to ""think carefully" about proper methods of communication!

You just cannot make this stuff up.

Ashvin, your Orwellian discourse is extremely creative, if nothing else. Thanks for the, uh, "prayers".   
Faith,

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
Peterson's grant wasn't denied because of political reasons;

Sorry, but I don't see any evidence that this is true. You don't even know the identities of the people who made the decision, unless you know them personally. It isn't public knowledge, to the best of my ability to investigate.

To assume that it  isn't political, just because "Julia Gualtieri a spokesman for the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada "  said so, is extremely naive and makes me think you don't know too much about academic bureaucracies. I'd like to see your proof. I know you're busy right now.

You might notice, I'm just demanding proof. I think you're wrong, but I'm prepared to eat some crow if you're right. Let's get to the truth.

I think the burden is on you and AG anybody else who wants to make this case on Peterson.  You are making claims that I think are misplaced. I want some evidence. Good evidence. So far that is not forthcoming from either of you.

I don't know any of the involved personally.  These grants are generally paneled. The panelists rated them poorly.
Peterson, with an axe to grind, says it was "political." Of course he did.
And the great swarm of Peterson fanbois rush in to nod furiously in bobbleheaded enthusiasm. Bottom line: the U said it wasn't political, Peterson says it was. And then the nazis held a bake sale to fund him.
Another case of "he said, she said." As I recall last time we had one of these you came down hard for the accused.

I was hoping not to get sucked into this Peterson bullshit, and to have to do a careful vivisection of his body of work, because frankly, I have a life. And I prefer to not drink from sewers. But for some reason I ascribe to weakness, RE has given Ashvin the run of the place to add nothing, contribute nothing but to make a case for his new Messiah. I'll take that shit up with RE when he's up to it, and I'll deal with Peterson's oeuvre when I have more time. Which i don't now.

Peterson is a Youtube star with a distinct following amount the angy, young, white, and otherwise without agency crowd. Very big with the incels, so they tell me.

Whenever someone's critique starts with, "radical left," that is a tell and they have given the game away. There is no radical left in this country except from the viewpoiint of the far edge of the reactionary right. Thus does a vile insect like Ashvin class anyone as "ideologue" anyone who does not sup uncritically at the table of Petersonism.

Peterson asserts that postmodern philosophers and sociologists since the 1960s[ have insinuated core tenets of Marxism and communism into academe. which is what you say when things aren't going your way and you can't get what you want.He echoes Kunstler's bleats of "cultural Maoists," which so thrill the Ayn Rand company sucks still hiding in the corners around here, but which offend people able to observe the world as it is and think. He says academe was infected with an influence of postmodernism thought that migrated from France to the US via Jacques Derrida and others. We also know how the French fuck up everything. Order up some freedom fries with your pitcher of Blue Ribbon.

As a YouTube star, he offers up plenty for his fanbois to chew on. Conservative views on religion, trans issues, and on feminism. From what I have seen, much of what he says is incoherent and ambiguous. So his acolytes dismiss any criticism as mere misrepresentations of his views. See, if you don't agree, then clearly you don't understand. Or are an unmitigated ideologue.

The same fucking technique of manipulation we've seen in evidence here. Lather, rinse, repeat.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Well, I happen to have listened to maybe 20 or more  hours of his interviews with some pretty good people, like Joe Rogan.

It all sounded completely coherent to me, and his points are invariably made with footnotes to real science. He has offered to debate with anybody anywhere any time. Ideas against ideas. Not accusations and innuendos.

When you have someone who is more than willing to engage in dialog with people with other differing points of view, and try to talk rationally and sensibly instead of name calling, that means something. He is not a bullshitter, Far from it.

He can be wrong. I don't think he's a God. But he's a smart man, he has good ideas and he's right about a lot things. You don't win my trust with crappy arguments. I'm a skeptic.

I'm not trying to drag you into anything. You appeared to me to be talking out your ass, and I want you to back it up or back off.  I think that's a reasonable request.

That some asshole started a crowdfunding effort in his name? How does that impugn his integrity?  It doesn't. It's  irrelevant.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Republicans want to ELIMINATE Social Security AND Medicare
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

So fuck off.

Oh, really? Peterson lives in Canada. Gee, if you hadn't told me that, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS IN AN EARLIER POST I MADE, I wouldn't have knowm. Thanks for the heads up.Texas Republican fan of Jordan Peterson.

Sure, I've done a bit of research on you Fascist Hero Peterson, but mostly I have been checking out the REPUBLICAN PLANS to eliminate social Security and Medicare. And YEAH, Peterson is just one small bought and paid for cog in the REPUBLICAN PLAN to trash Medicare and Social Security. BUT, he is NOT the main force. He is just a distraction to woo those Big IQ folks who love money and could give a SHIT about social programs that help the poor and downtrodden victims of Capitalist Cruelty in the USA (and Canada too, by the way). Peterson is a Koch Brothers SUCKER PLAY. It's not my fault you and Ashvin fell for it.

Are ya gonna take down all the Jordan Peterson hero worship, or not? If ya don't, that's okay. You are an Admin an can squash me like a bug that never was if you so desire. Go ahead, if that makes you feel better. But mind you, bro, all this mud thowing   and flame warring has just attracted more beady bubble to this forum. Well I'll be a blue nosed gopher! Agelbert is a lightning rod for Doomster VIEWS!  ;) ;D

Where were we? Oh yeah, I'm a horrendous, heinous cowerdly, off the deep end liar who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the groud. Oh, and fuck me too.

It's possible, BUT....

Eddie, my boy, it does not MATTER WHAT AGELBERT IS OR IS NOT, in regard to Social Security AND Medicare. Hell, I don't even need Social Security! I get a tiny check each month that covers my Medicare Part B plus $52, PERIOD. I'm defending these programs mainly on principle. Yeah my BCBS Federal Retiree plan was forced to refund me $600 from the SEVERAL THOUSAND I paid in 2017, thanks to Medicare being the primary health care. So yeah, I do NOT want Medicare to go away. BUT, unlike the majority of Medicare and Social Security recipients, I DO NOT NEED THEM!

I DEFEND THESE PROGRAMS BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

HERE is what REPUBLICANS, including the Libertarian ASSHOLE Profit over People and Planet Koch Brothers AND the (FASCIST) Heritage Foundation PLAN. WHY DO YOU, EDDIE, ASHVIN AND K-DOG, SUPPORT THAT PLAN BY VOTING REPUBLICAN?

October 31, 2018

The GOP Dessert scheduled for AFTER the elections next week

Listen, you fuckin' crackhead. I'm not attacking Social Security and Medicare.  If the system doesn't collapse soon, I'll be a recipient of both. My wife is 65. I'm 63 next month.

I support social programs. As I said already, just today, I support universal healthcare. I think it should be single payer too. It works.

I support free college for anyone who wants to go.

All you can do is call me names. I was so respectful to you for so long, because I really wanted to persuade you that I was a decent human being and NOT the guy you love to hate.

I tried that and it netted me nothing. Now you can get the fuck outa dodge, or listen to me call you an asshole, because that's who you are.

Want some more? The gloves are off buddy. Come on. You want to fight? I got what you want. I'll give you as much ass-kickin' as you need to get your fill.

Come on Pinnochio, Tell us another lie.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
But for some reason I ascribe to weakness, RE has given Ashvin the run of the place to add nothing, contribute nothing but to make a case for his new Messiah. I'll take that shit up with RE when he's up to it, and I'll deal with Peterson's oeuvre when I have more time. Which i don't now.

It sounds like you are campaigning to have me banned permanently. So I'll also ascribe to some weakness and tone my language back a notch. I haven't personally insulted anyone since my last temporary ban, but I won't even refer to anyone as an "idelogue" anymore. I just want everything to be perfectly transparent to anyone paying attention when it happens.

I'd also request that a poll be run before, since you accuse me of adding/contributing nothing - let's see what the rest of the Diners think. I'm sure I don't have the privileges to put one up myself.

Peterson is a Youtube star with a distinct following amount the angy, young, white, and otherwise without agency crowd. Very big with the incels, so they tell me.

He has faced and responded to this claim many times, most recently in the interview I posted here. There seem to be two primary reasons why you could say he is popular with young white males (who may or may not be "angry")  - 1) YouTube skews primarily male and most of his content is on YouTube, 2) young white men are being taught that their motivation and ambition to move forward in life is a BAD thing and merely an oppressive consequence of their undeserved privilege - naturally they don't respond well to such a message and are interested in someone who has a more positive one for them.

His live lectures on the other hand tend to draw men and women of all ages, as well as ethnicities across the spectrum.

Whenever someone's critique starts with, "radical left," that is a tell and they have given the game away. There is no radical left in this country except from the viewpoiint of the far edge of the reactionary right. Thus does a vile insect like Ashvin class anyone as "ideologue" anyone who does not sup uncritically at the table of Petersonism.

I could also say whenever someone starts a description of someone else as a "vile insect", reminiscent of language used in tribal genocides, they have given the game way.

Peterson asserts that postmodern philosophers and sociologists since the 1960s[ have insinuated core tenets of Marxism and communism into academe. which is what you say when things aren't going your way and you can't get what you want.He echoes Kunstler's bleats of "cultural Maoists," which so thrill the Ayn Rand company sucks still hiding in the corners around here, but which offend people able to observe the world as it is and think. He says academe was infected with an influence of postmodernism thought that migrated from France to the US via Jacques Derrida and others. We also know how the French fuck up everything. Order up some freedom fries with your pitcher of Blue Ribbon.

This isn't an opinion of his - it's just an undeniable fact. Postmodern philosophers and thinkers (ones who take it seriously) would also tell you that it started in France with Derrida, Foucault and others and migrated here. No one denies that. They don't see it as a bad thing, and why should they? France has generated a lot of great philosophy over the years, among other things. Rene Girard would be a good recent example.

As a YouTube star, he offers up plenty for his fanbois to chew on. Conservative views on religion, trans issues, and on feminism. From what I have seen, much of what he says is incoherent and ambiguous. So his acolytes dismiss any criticism as mere misrepresentations of his views. See, if you don't agree, then clearly you don't understand. Or are an unmitigated ideologue.

The same fucking technique of manipulation we've seen in evidence here. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I actually haven't heard ANY of his critics describe him as "incoherent" or "ambiguous". That's a new one for me.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:22:20 PM by Ashvin »

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Republicans want to ELIMINATE Social Security AND Medicare
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
He is just a distraction to woo those Big IQ folks who love money and could give a SHIT about social programs that help the poor and downtrodden victims of Capitalist Cruelty in the USA (and Canada too, by the way).

Yet it always seems to be the people who have a lot of money, OR who have reached the point that they don't need any, who preach its evils and the evils of property ownership and free markets and capitalism etc.. Talk that stuff to someone actually struggling with poverty, who have families to feed, and they will likely tell you to get lost.  Then of course they will be accused of being brainwashed and going against their own interests, because no one knows their interests better than people who are nothing like them and face none of their difficulties.

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
I believe people have to do what they can with what they have, where they are. I know money greases the wheels in this world. I believe in saving money and making investments. It beats the shit out of starving in your old age. If that makes me conservative, well then, I'll own it.

I literally hate the Rush Limbaughs and Glenn Becks of the world. I hate the Trumps and the Paul Ryans and the Greg Abbotts.

So it sort of chaps my buns to be called conservative, frankly.
Sorry Eddie,
I don't think you are a conservative, just a little more conservative than I am (you're still living in Texas  ;) a place that was way too right wing for me). And I think I called myself a liberal?? I also have voted almost always democratic (holding my nose the whole time).
I don't think I have any money other than through luck (luck at being white, luck by virtue of where I lived, luck by marrying someone who made a horrendous income, luck, luck, luck) - and maybe a little to do to with being conservative with money I lucked into. I agree you have to do what you can with what you have. I don't think that is liberal or conservative, just smart.
I hate the  same people you do. I just wish there was truly progressive taxation to soak the rich to the benefit of those who did not have the luck I did. But all that is water under the bridge as we wait for Collapse.

Ashvin, I doubt Surly or RE would condemn me for using my brain with the money I had.

AJ
Nullis in Verba