AuthorTopic: NFL BOYCOTT 2018  (Read 740 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: NFL BOYCOTT 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
In droves. And now they will rush to buy more.

Phil Knight is a marketing genius, or has had one working for him for an awful long time. That's what I wrote, day before yesterday, in my rant "Just Buy It".

I can remember something my late father told me. He was, in the 1940's and 1950's, a small businessman.

He had many customers in what we'd now call "The Hood". There was a black guy there who was a small-time entrepreneur, who was tremendously successful.

My Dad asked him how he did so well, and according to the story my Dad related, he replied, "I make my living off the misery of other black people."

Except he didn't use the term "black people". He used the more common vernacular of the time.

I also remember something I read, from the  Autobiography of Malcom X, which is a book all white people should read.

He started out in life as a criminal, and he was a successful criminal. He talked about going to dance parties at the big ballrooms with live jazz orchestras in Harlem as a young man, and how after closing time, the floors would be littered with empty liquor bottles.

He said that when it was a black audience, the liquor bottles were never the cheap stuff, but rather the brands that were marketed as luxury goods, Johnny Walker and Crown Royal, and Beefeater and Tanqueray.

And there is a racial stereotype, here in the South ( that isn't nearly as true as it once was, but still does exist to some degree). That is the stereotype of a new Cadillac automobile parked in front of a shotgun shack. When I was a kid, it wasn't an uncommon sight at all.

Patterns of consumption are something that smart salesmen use to make bank. Phil Knight is one smart salesman.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:20:49 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.