AuthorTopic: Grid Down  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Grid Down
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
So..your gennys are DC and you use inverters? Do I have that correct?

I don't understand how these LP diaphragms work, having grown up on carburetors. I need to educate myself on that. We do have a source of LNG auto fuel in this town, and some nearby municipalities use or have used natural gas vehicles. I thought about buying one before I got the Volt. I haven't checked to see if the vehicles are still available on the used car market lately.
Not quite... the generator itself produces wild 3 phase ac which goes through a rectifier and a capacitor bank then the on board inverter creates the 120 ac for domestic use. They are standard off the shelf gennys but complex so they go bad. Lots of inverter generators to choose from. The Hondas and the Yamahas seems to be doing best.  The plus side is they Rev up and down with load and are very fuel efficient... I feed that into my Magnum inverter's charger... Clear as mud?
Think of the lp diaphragm regulator like a scuba regulator. High pressure on one side low on the other. You breathing in creates a vucuum which allows the air to seep through to the low pressure side. For engines the vacuum is the air intake which allows the propane or natural gas to seep through.  When it has enough fuel it chokes, kills the vacuum and the diaphragm closes... once adjusted it's self regulating... batteries are charged maybe tomorrow I'll run it. Power failures at this time of year are easy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:44:41 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
No, I'm with you, I think.

My understanding, though, was that the reason AC gennies are so complex is that they have to spin at precise RPM's to create 60 Hz (or 50 for where that's the standard). From what you're telling me, that's not the case. Instead they use magic electronics I can't possibly build from scratch. LOL. Most car alternators have small rectifiers, though, right? To make DC to charge the batteries.

I just like DC generators. Simple, and ready to charge batteries with no magic parts. Am I missing something there?

I understand using rectifiers from my limited exposure to wind turbines. I don't quite get the whole enchilada on the off-the-shelf inverter generator, though. I don't use my knowledge about electrical things much. I only learned what one learns in freshman college physics and what you have to learn to pass a HAM radio license test. Not a working knowledge at all really.

Thanks for answering my questions. Much appreciated.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Grid Down cooking
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
Stew on the stove instead of the crockpot was easy enough but I decided to get a little creative. Fresh dinner buns on the BBQ. Foil to offset the heat and a cooling rack to lift the pan off the grill. Just white flour and they were a little yeasty. The girls loved them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:08:21 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
Nicely done. I can smell them from here.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
No, I'm with you, I think.

My understanding, though, was that the reason AC gennies are so complex is that they have to spin at precise RPM's to create 60 Hz (or 50 for where that's the standard). From what you're telling me, that's not the case. Instead they use magic electronics I can't possibly build from scratch. LOL. Most car alternators have small rectifiers, though, right? To make DC to charge the batteries.

I just like DC generators. Simple, and ready to charge batteries with no magic parts. Am I missing something there?

I understand using rectifiers from my limited exposure to wind turbines. I don't quite get the whole enchilada on the off-the-shelf inverter generator, though. I don't use my knowledge about electrical things much. I only learned what one learns in freshman college physics and what you have to learn to pass a HAM radio license test. Not a working knowledge at all really.

Thanks for answering my questions. Much appreciated.
There is nothing wrong with the off the shelf car alternator. I built an alt generator when we first moved off grid but It was primitive and fell apart(my fault). They are good because they have very few electronic components; Some diodes, a rectifier and a voltage regulator. One problem with them though is you throw away a lot of the power. As the rpm goes up the voltage it generates goes up as well but the voltage regulator clips it and throws it away.  I did run a permanent magnet motor on an engine for a while and it worked well. I have a 1 kw pmg sitting in a box waiting on me(its been there awhile).  The goal will be to run it into an mppt charger to take advantage of those high volts. More magical electronics I guess. There are some real fancy mods you can make on a standard ac delco to make it much more productive. The marine guys run custom gear to control power to the field and control its power generation. I'm coming back to DC generation to solve some problems inherent in woodgas engines...
Cheers,  David

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
Here we go again. The good news is the torrential rains removed most of the fire risks. The bad news is a lightning strike hit the transformer station for the area and impressive winds have trees down everywhere. So this is power outage number 6 since January.  More outages than that but I don't count ones lasting a few hours. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1393425134125672&id=191732364294961

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
Here we go again. The good news is the torrential rains removed most of the fire risks. The bad news is a lightning strike hit the transformer station for the area and impressive winds have trees down everywhere. So this is power outage number 6 since January.  More outages than that but I don't count ones lasting a few hours. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1393425134125672&id=191732364294961

How long do you figure this one to last?  How long can you go just on batt backup efore you have to fire up the Gennie?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »
You guys have more power outages than Puerto Rico these days. At least you know how to deal with it better than most people. Sorry to hear your power is out.

Headin' down to the Texas Beach tonight. I am packing. Hope we get there by midnight. Road trip in my new truck. The dogs have already shed all over the inside. I need to wipe it down before I  load up.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »

How long do you figure this one to last?  How long can you go just on batt backup efore you have to fire up the Gennie?

RE
the utility can't tell yet if my outage is caused by the transformer fire or downed trees they are projecting the fire to be repaired by 10 pm. Sounds optimistic. When they fix that then the individual outages get dispatched. At this time of year with plenty of daylight I can coast in bare bones mode indefinitely. Bare bones being defined as roughly 3kW Hrs per day of usage. Using the batteries down to 50 percent that would give me 3 days with no sun. No sun is not realistic since even cloudy days I generate something. I would not do bare bones. The kids are watching TV so I plugged in the satelite receiver.  I don't expect this one to last all that long since the outage map isn't overloaded. It is a trend line though. More outages, aging infrastructure,  more frequent violent weather events... Welcome to the new reality.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
You guys have more power outages than Puerto Rico these days. At least you know how to deal with it better than most people. Sorry to hear your power is out.

Headin' down to the Texas Beach tonight. I am packing. Hope we get there by midnight. Road trip in my new truck. The dogs have already shed all over the inside. I need to wipe it down before I  load up.
Yup tell me about it. Ontario is huge. The urban areas are well served but the rural areas have very low density and old infrastructure. As C5 Mentioned about Nova scotia weve already collapsed ita just nobody told us yet. Have fun at the beach. We're heading down to north myrtle beach next week. My extended family rent a beach house there every year.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »

RE
the utility can't tell yet if my outage is caused by the transformer fire or downed trees they are projecting the fire to be repaired by 10 pm. Sounds optimistic. When they fix that then the individual outages get dispatched. At this time of year with plenty of daylight I can coast in bare bones mode indefinitely. Bare bones being defined as roughly 3kW Hrs per day of usage. Using the batteries down to 50 percent that would give me 3 days with no sun. No sun is not realistic since even cloudy days I generate something. I would not do bare bones. The kids are watching TV so I plugged in the satelite receiver.  I don't expect this one to last all that long since the outage map isn't overloaded. It is a trend line though. More outages, aging infrastructure,  more frequent violent weather events... Welcome to the new reality.

You are on the picket line of the new reality. Good luck!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound