PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Diner Webzine

AuthorTopic: Diner Webzine  (Read 8611 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Diner Webzine
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Monsta666 has undertaken an ENORMOUS project, taking Diner Articles and turning them into Printable Acrobat pdf documents.  He sent the first one to me, and it is just FABULOUS!

WHDs Realities, 2013 got picked as the first Webzine transform, and I have now Uploaded it to a New Diner Webzine Folder in the Media Library.  This Thread automatically links to that Library, so anytime a Webzine Article goes up, there will be a corresponding post automatically generated to announce it and provide a Link to it.

All Diner Mod Squad members can write to this Folder, so if you know how to create pdfs from a webpage, you can assist in documenting the Diner Articles this way.  All Guests and Regular Diners can read from this folder and Download the pdfs.

If you own a Tablet such as Kindle or Ipad or my own Samsung Galaxy, you can download these pdfs into the memory there, so even if the Net goes Dark, you will still have them on your Tablet as long as the battery still works and you can charge it up somehow.   You can of course also Print them onto Hard Copy, Acid Free Paper and Bind it with a nice Leather Cover to hand down to the Next Generation of Surviving Diners. :icon_mrgreen:

RE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:50:36 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Webzine: WHD-Realities, 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
 Views: 10
Posted by RE
Jan 13, 2013
in Diner Webzine
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:52:28 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Album: Diner Webzine
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »
IMO WHD shows in this webzine exactly what happens to people in this system when the think for themselves and act with integrity. you get run over..... My hat though is completely off to him for doing the right thing and dancing with the punches.

Been down that road a couple of times myself,  heading there again soon.  I got solar powered yurt plans and my old bug out rig getting prepped to make a break from the Bakken come spring.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Webzine:. txt files
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »
(No items to show)
I just experimented with taking an article, Copy/Pasting into Notepad and then Saving as a .txt file to Upload to the Webzine Library.  This is EZ to do and works quick.  I took my first article on the Diner as the experiment, a Tale of Two Depressions.

Obviously, the conversion to pdf which includes Graphics is the much better means here for producing printable forms of Diner Articles, but the txt saving is easy and fast to do, and conserves the textual information.

Once loaded onto the Diner Media Library, any Diner can download and keep copies on a Jump Drive,SD Card, whatever.  Long as some Computers are still running, they will always be able to read .txt files.  This is the Dinosaur of computing, ASCII is coserved through all OP systems.

In fact, everything ever written on the Diner could easily be saved on a 2GB SD Card for less than $10, INCLUDING all the commentary if you have a mind to save any of that. LOL.

I'll stick to just trying to catch up on the Diner Articles and save them for now, at least the text.  Coverting to classy pdfs for a Webzine is a MONSTA job only a Monsta can do. LOL

RE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:26:15 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Information Conservation
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »
Peter noted a while back that he had 1000s of books stored in pdf format on his Tablet, which as long as he has means of charging up and will accept the charge, he can always refer to for information.

I also have a Tablet now, but have not spent much time downloading information to it freely accessibleright now on the Net.  I will get Busy with doing that though with the spare time I don't have.  LOL.

Far as my Tablet is concerned, it is a Samsung Galaxy and you arent limited by the native storage on the Tablet, it accepts Micro SD cards, these days as big in storage as 32 GB.  Even just one of those probably stores more text info I could read in my lifetime, and I read fast.

While  clearly Printing the information is the most secure for long term here, overall it is impractical.  Its like all my Texbooks from College, there are scores of them in my Storage Unit in Springfiled in Boxes, each weighing hundreds of pounds.  ALL of that info fits on a Micro SD card I can slip into my WALLET!  Long as I have a Tablet that can READ this teensy weensy storage medium, I don't need to haul around a ton of Books printed on Paper.  The Tablet itself is of course ALSO pocket size!  Ain't technology MARVELOUS?

Discounting the possibility of and EMP which fries the Table, the main limiting factor is how long the Battery and Screen will last here.  My Galaxy is 2 years old now and still seems OK, but I cannot imagine it will last longer than a decade.  Its not to easy to replace the Battery inside these things either, they are designed to last 2-3 years, then you are expected to buy the newer better model.

The Hard Copy on Paper is the best for long term information storage, good Acid Free paper can last 1000 years.  However, carrying all those Books around is problematic for the Nomad.

It won't last in perpetutity, but you may get 10-20 years out of Sd Card/Tablet information storage.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Diner Webzine
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 05:04:18 AM »
Far as my Tablet is concerned, it is a Samsung Galaxy and you arent limited by the native storage on the Tablet, it accepts Micro SD cards, these days as big in storage as 32 GB.  Even just one of those probably stores more text info I could read in my lifetime, and I read fast.

Purchased a 64 GB flash drive that fits into the USB port of my computer. I use it as a back up for all my important papers, photos, etc.

Is it the proper way to go? I am not very savvy about computers and unaware of advances in the field. Had used floppy disks in the past and transferred all that into flash drive. Any guidance from a diner would be welcome.  :icon_scratch:

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
As an aside,

In John Michael Greers online novel, Star's Reach, taking place in the 25th century I think, until people start printing them again, there are only three known paper copies of Tolkiens Fellowship of the Ring trilogy, to have survived the previous 400 years of Industrial dissolution. No known digital copies, or the tech or skills to read them if they exist.

http://starsreach.blogspot.com/

Offline Snowleopard

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
As an aside,

In John Michael Greers online novel, Star's Reach, taking place in the 25th century I think, until people start printing them again, there are only three known paper copies of Tolkiens Fellowship of the Ring trilogy, to have survived the previous 400 years of Industrial dissolution. No known digital copies, or the tech or skills to read them if they exist.

http://starsreach.blogspot.com/

Kinda hard to reconcile that with JMG's doom lite philosophy.....consider that there are currently well over 150 million copies of LOTR printed with many editions still in print.
"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." -  Simon and Garfunkel

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »

Purchased a 64 GB flash drive that fits into the USB port of my computer. I use it as a back up for all my important papers, photos, etc.

Is it the proper way to go? I am not very savvy about computers and unaware of advances in the field. Had used floppy disks in the past and transferred all that into flash drive. Any guidance from a diner would be welcome.  :icon_scratch:

Flash drives, also called Jump Drives and Thumbdrives are a great storage medium for Laptops that have a USB port.  Not useful with most tablets directly because the manufacturers mostly are not equipping them with USB ports.  You can get adapters though for them.

In terms of size, the MicroSD cards are the tiniest, smaller than a fingernail.  You could have a dozen of them in a Credit Card slot in your wallet.  The Galaxy takes these directly, so I mainly use them for storage.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
In terms of size, the MicroSD cards are the tiniest, smaller than a fingernail.  You could have a dozen of them in a Credit Card slot in your wallet.  The Galaxy takes these directly, so I mainly use them for storage.

RE

Thank's RE, In my ignorance of these matters I mistakenly thought they were for digital cameras only.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:17:22 AM »

Thank's RE, In my ignorance of these matters I mistakenly thought they were for digital cameras only.

Not at all, in fact all these various cards and drives are the same thing just packaged differently.  They all are Solid State Memory.

There are various small converters which will take an SD Card or MicroSD and turn it into a USB Flash Drive.  The one at left is one of the ones I have.  Cost is around $10.

You also can get adapter ports which take many different formats of these memory cards.  I have the Targus one which takes 33 different types of memory cards.

The storage capacity is up to 64GB now in these suckers, and anybody who is storing that much is storing Video.  NOBODY could fill up one of these with just pictures and text, even Music you would have to be storing 1000s of mp3 files.

The biggest state of the art ones are a bit overpriced, usually on sale you can get say 4 16GB MicroSD cards cheaper than one 64GB card.

For myself, I don't store vids or even too many pics, mostly text files, spreadsheets, databases, that sort of stuff.  I can fit about every digital file I ever created over the last 20 years on one 16GB MicroSD Card easy.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »
Due to some experimentation I did today in connection with another project, I need to make some ammendments to the ability to use Flash Drives with current Tablets and Smart Phones on the market.

Even with adapters for USB to 30-pin, you cannot get either an I-Phone or a Samsung Galaxy to recognize a USB Flash Drive.  I was trying to move around some Music Files and discovered this impossibility today.

The Android OP system has a bit more "openness", and through some Kludges you can move music from your Laptop to the Galaxy, the way I did it today was through email attachements of music files which I then D/L to the Samsung.  You can't do that with the I-phone though, for that you have to go through their I-Tunes software, and you have to connect to and go through the Apple website to do it.  They require a Credit Card, even if you aren't buying anything.

I am going to focus my next article on how flexibility in computing is being restricted here, with some suggestions on best practices for maintaining some independence for a while longer on this stuff.

For now just let me say AVOID APPLE Hardware and Software at all costs!  Much as I hate Google and Android, it's better than the Apple OS for the Tablets and Smart Phones.  My Iphone is about at the end of its typical lifespan of a 2 year contract, when I replace it I will NOT buy another Iphone.  I'll look for an Android compatible with my Samsung Tablet.

Far as Storage Medium, MicroSD Cards with an Adapter for USB seem the most flexible to me as long as you work with the Samsungs that have a port for the MicroSD card.  You can transfer files between your Laptop and the Tablet using that card, without hooking to the net.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:20:53 AM »
Apple seems to be very intent upon forcing you onto the "cloud," with all of the obvious implications.

I use Apple products exclusively for work, so not much options there, but I have-- and will-- avoid the cloud like the plague.

Open systems seem to be anathema to Apple, who keep coming up with new and exotic ways to make it difficult to move data.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
Apple seems to be very intent upon forcing you onto the "cloud," with all of the obvious implications.

I use Apple products exclusively for work, so not much options there, but I have-- and will-- avoid the cloud like the plague.

Open systems seem to be anathema to Apple, who keep coming up with new and exotic ways to make it difficult to move data.

It's all about monetization of course.  Apple's Model for monetization is to control CONTENT, aka Data.  If people can copy data easily, they can't control the content.

The reason Ipads don't have any slot for an external memory card is so that all the data you drop on it is stuck inside that machine unless and until you hook to the net and drop it onto the "cloud", where of course Da Goobermint can check it out anytime they like.

I spent an hour with another computer geek yesterday trying to find some way around getting music files not off an Iphone, but into it, and it can't be done far as we were able to see anyhow without connecting up to Apple's Itunes website, and forking over credit card info.

At the moment you can move other types of files off of it or onto it, but that can easily be changed anytime.

As I see it, right now they are trying to phase out Laptops in favor of "Dumb Terminals", the Tablets which mainly are just a Web Browser, with all really functional programs existing only on the net.  Once people only have Dumb Terminals, they can't do any Hacking.  In fact even writing anything longer than a Tweet is made difficult by not providing a keyboard, which you gotta pay extra for and are stupid expensive, $50-100 for a KEYBOARD!

The great days of Computer Fun are coming to a close here.  We had about 15 real good years with this stuff, but the drive to monetization and the information ownership paradigm is killing it.  The whole thing is destined for the dusbin of history when the electrical grid goes down anyhow, but it is very sad to watch it all die this way.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Bot Blogger

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
I'm not sure what you want to achieve but I have beaucoup d'musique that that is not accessed via itunes website. You do have to use itunes the software on your computer and the itunes app to play the music on an iphone. You can 'add to library' using the itunes software on your mac or pc (either mp3s or CD tracks) and then select the track for inclusion on your iphone/ipad/ipod when you sync. At least that's the way I do it.

Otherwise there are ways you can use your iphone as a hard drive here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-turn-your-iphone-into-an-external-hard-disk/ which means it's just storage and not playable... (I think)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:15:22 PM by Bot Blogger »