AuthorTopic: Crazy Weather  (Read 124889 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather: Moscow: warmest weather in a century
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaQnDl88dGQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IaQnDl88dGQ&fs=1</a>

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »
Buried in amost two feet of snow, 6 degrees and - 6 tonight in Beantown.

To think I was complaining about sixty degree weather a few weeks back.  :-\

On weeks like this Snowleaopard, your superb postings on weather resonate more clearly with me.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Stay safe, GO!

One of my concerns is that the additional energy retained by the atmosphere is manifesting as the extreme weather we see.  We know the climate basically moves warmth from the equator to the poles, that's the most basic description of the planet's weather.  That energy seems to amplifying weather patterns, particularly those associated with the jet stream.  Amplitude of the jet stream seems to have increased, while it's speed around the country has been reduced.

The result is hotter, longer, dry droughts and colder, longer, wetter storms, not just where they have been for the last century we have records, but pretty much anywhere north of the tropics.

One of the reasons I am actively pursuing concrete dome structures as an opportunity (both for business and for doomsteading) is that they have a long track record of being resilient to the inclemencies of the weather.  No one wants to rebuild a destroyed home a second time. 

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
Stay safe, GO!

Thanks Haniel, appreciate the thought. Let me tell you it was a doozy. Not in the least bit qualified to discuss weather science, but something real strange is going on, and I get your intensity comment with total clarity after this storm. They seem to last forever and taper off at a snail's pace.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
Thats real cold GO, you may need a beanie like whd in beantown.

I wondered if SL wasnt exaggerating, -25F  :o. The phrase "30 below" that arctic and antarctic and extreme altitude mountaineers use, is where theres no trees or plants.

Haniel, I was thinking just that earlier this morning, even if the domes dont take off commercially viably, they might or might not I dont know, at least for steaders determined to survive they make a lot of sense.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »

Haniel, I was thinking just that earlier this morning, even if the domes dont take off commercially viably, they might or might not I dont know, at least for steaders determined to survive they make a lot of sense.

Which is how I first came across them.  I was looking for the most energy-efficient home and domes came up.  They make sense to me, a large multi-tonne rock mass that acts as a heat sink, surrounded by good insulation.  Protection against most natural disasters was for most on my mind, as well as protection from stray fire, so something to learn about regardless of where we end up.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »

Which is how I first came across them.  I was looking for the most energy-efficient home and domes came up.  They make sense to me, a large multi-tonne rock mass that acts as a heat sink, surrounded by good insulation.  Protection against most natural disasters was for most on my mind, as well as protection from stray fire, so something to learn about regardless of where we end up.

I mean this in all sincerity Haniel.  I know that you have gazed on this topic with precision.  I have not, but I know you have...and I could easily do the same...but I see no reason.  Just what I have read so far tells me you are right...and I haven't read much. 

I'm already convinced that I need one for my families survival.  I mean just the radiation clouds are enough reason to want one...with no windows...and one door that's sealed...I suppose with a hole in it with the best air filtration/purification unit known to man installed.  Especially if that can be achieved for 8 grand...isn't that the figure that us SUN members can expect ;D

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2014, 06:47:10 PM »
  I mean just the radiation clouds are enough reason to want one...with no windows...and one door that's sealed...I suppose with a hole in it with the best air filtration/purification unit known to man installed.  Especially if that can be achieved for 8 grand...isn't that the figure that us SUN members can expect ;D

LD, you ever see "duck and cover" govt ads from the 1950's? Does getting under tha table really do anything if you see a flash from a nuke outside the window. I dont believe taping up windows and wearing paer overalls outside is worth trying.

I have a location for all northern hemisphere radiation refugees to go to, its not where I am now. It can support hundreds of people. If radiation did become a problem all NH diners should go there.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:59 PM »
  I mean just the radiation clouds are enough reason to want one...with no windows...and one door that's sealed...I suppose with a hole in it with the best air filtration/purification unit known to man installed.  Especially if that can be achieved for 8 grand...isn't that the figure that us SUN members can expect ;D

LD, you ever see "duck and cover" govt ads from the 1950's? Does getting under tha table really do anything if you see a flash from a nuke outside the window. I dont believe taping up windows and wearing paer overalls outside is worth trying.

I have a location for all northern hemisphere radiation refugees to go to, its not where I am now. It can support hundreds of people. If radiation did become a problem all NH diners should go there.

sooooo...that's true.

But still...they can withstand tornadoes and possibly a tree falling on them? 

I'm in love with the idea already.  I've never thought about the best way to build shelter before now.  I've thought about how to do it with natural materials in survival situations...and I've read about survival shelters...and I've spent a lot of time in the woods.  But never have I contemplated building a living situation out of concrete and in the shape of a dome.  It's almost hubristic...but not quite...and I love that about it. 

But yeah...radiation clouds they're ain't no damn point really.  Cause we'll just end up eating the clouds...and you can't build a dome to hide from that.  Still...I've gotta build some good chances for my two sons. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
Thats real cold GO, you may need a beanie like whd in beantown.

Me, i'm wearing a Siberian fur cap.

I wondered if SL wasnt exaggerating, -25F  :o. The phrase "30 below" that arctic and antarctic and extreme altitude mountaineers use, is where theres no trees or plants.

"Murphy's Law only fails when you count on it!"

I said:

As i write this it is -7 deg F here, and my "winter" started over six weeks early.  My firewood use to date is at a new record.  Tomorrow's low is forecast @ -16F and, if it is off the same way and amount as today's forecast, i'll see -25F tomorrow.   These are temps not seen here in January in at least fifteen years.  What is already happening may prompt me to move south.

After a forecast low of +2F turned into -8F (actual),  the next day's forecast for a -16F low was wrong in the other direction and we did not get colder than -10F.

You are partly correct about the trees here.  If temps below -20 F were not quite rare, we would start losing more trees.  Currently we lose some trees to ice storms every 4 or 5 years, but regrowth is vigorous.  Further north at higher altitudes, like in the White Mountains, it gets below -30F most winters;  but many of those slopes still have some trees.  Limited in variety and stunted in growth, but still there.

Despite the freak short warm spurts, which are more common than before;  each month since September has, on balance, had the weather expected in the following month or colder.  ie. this January (so far) is like a cold February.  I hesitate to predict what February will be like, but i have a large stack of firewood!
"A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." -  Simon and Garfunkel

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »
-25 degrees!!!  Holy shit that's cold!  It's gonna be 10 degrees here in a couple of days and that's as cold as I've ever seen it here.  16 degrees is the coldest I remember. 

It appears "Snowleopard" is an appropriate moniker.  You should change it to "colderthanamofoleopard"   ;D

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »
-25 degrees!!!  Holy shit that's cold!  It's gonna be 10 degrees here in a couple of days and that's as cold as I've ever seen it here.  16 degrees is the coldest I remember. 

It appears "Snowleopard" is an appropriate moniker.  You should change it to "colderthanamofoleopard"   ;D

They are talking about -65 wind chills here in Minnesota, tonight and tomorrow.

WHD

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »

WHD

Balmy +25F or so right now on the Last Great Frontier. :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »

WHD

RE

PS: I gotta go up to Fairbanks next weekend for a meet.  Last few years I went there this time of year, -30 WITHOUT a Wind Chill.

I shall be interested to see the weather on this trip.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »

WHD

RE

PS: I gotta go up to Fairbanks next weekend for a meet.  Last few years I went there this time of year, -30 WITHOUT a Wind Chill.

I shall be interested to see the weather on this trip.

RE

I saw a forecast for -30 real temp here in Minnesota earlier today.   :icon_sunny:

WHD