AuthorTopic: Crazy Weather  (Read 124913 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
-25 degrees!!!  Holy shit that's cold!  It's gonna be 10 degrees here in a couple of days and that's as cold as I've ever seen it here.  16 degrees is the coldest I remember. 

It appears "Snowleopard" is an appropriate moniker.  You should change it to "colderthanamofoleopard"   ;D

They are talking about -65 wind chills here in Minnesota, tonight and tomorrow.

WHD

Balmy +25F or so right now on the Last Great Frontier. :icon_sunny:

RE

PS: I gotta go up to Fairbanks next weekend for a meet.  Last few years I went there this time of year, -30 WITHOUT a Wind Chill.

I shall be interested to see the weather on this trip.

RE

I saw a forecast for -30 real temp here in Minnesota earlier today.   :icon_sunny:

WHD

You got a plug-in for your car?  Starting up the car when it drops that low is tough without a plug-in.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »
man, how can you even breath in -30?  I remember the coldest I ever experienced was upstate NY during the winter.  I walked outside of the house and could feel my sinuses freeze on the first breath.  Don't know how could it was, but it wasn't -30!!!

Why would anybody want to live in weather like that?

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather: North Dakota Weather Alert!
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »
ALERT ALERT

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAq1Ml3PlGc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GAq1Ml3PlGc&fs=1</a>

:exp-grin:

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Crazy Weather: North Dakota Weather Alert!
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »
ALERT ALERT

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAq1Ml3PlGc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GAq1Ml3PlGc&fs=1</a>

:exp-grin:

:emthup: :emthup:

Sounds official, too.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
man, how can you even breath in -30?  I remember the coldest I ever experienced was upstate NY during the winter.  I walked outside of the house and could feel my sinuses freeze on the first breath.  Don't know how could it was, but it wasn't -30!!!

-30 is definitely unpleasant, but even up here if you are not far inland like Fairbanks you don't get those temps that often.  You don't spend much time outside when it gets that cold.  You hang tough for a few days, it warms up to tolerable levels again.

In return for this, you get VERY pleasant weather from Spring to Fall, and never break a sweat unless you are actually doing physical exercise of the vigorous kind.  I LOVE temps from 40-70F, which is the general range most of the time.  I HATE 90F temps and 90% Humidity like you get in the summer in the lower 48 even more than I Hate the few -30 days I have to bundle up for up here.

BTW, when it is this cold you wear a Balaclava over your mouth and nose, so you don't directly breathe in such frigid air.  You can use old fashioned cotton or wool ones, but the modern versions made from Neoprene are better.  Great Oil Age product there. LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Glad i don't live there anymore...., though i just finished a weeklong  tower building trip in illinois during the polar vortex. -15 deg F with a strong wind was no cakewalk .  Still i think its good to develop a tolerance for working through weather extremes, it keeps the fat and softness of oil age living at bay and keeps the survival instincts ready.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »

-30 is definitely unpleasant, but even up here if you are not far inland like Fairbanks you don't get those temps that often.  You don't spend much time outside when it gets that cold.  You hang tough for a few days, it warms up to tolerable levels again.

In return for this, you get VERY pleasant weather from Spring to Fall, and never break a sweat unless you are actually doing physical exercise of the vigorous kind.  I LOVE temps from 40-70F, which is the general range most of the time.  I HATE 90F temps and 90% Humidity like you get in the summer in the lower 48 even more than I Hate the few -30 days I have to bundle up for up here.

BTW, when it is this cold you wear a Balaclava over your mouth and nose, so you don't directly breathe in such frigid air.  You can use old fashioned cotton or wool ones, but the modern versions made from Neoprene are better.  Great Oil Age product there. LOL.

RE

Isn't much of this really about the climate the individual has been subjected to and adapted to?  Look at New Orleans...there's folks living there that wouldn't think of living elsewhere...and it is one of the hottest and most humid cities in the US.

My father lived in Myrtle Beach, SC for awhile and I remember walking to the beach in April when the ocean temps are still very cold and seeing a bunch of guys swimming in the ocean.  I asked someone WTF is up with that? The answer: They're Canadians down here to play golf. 

It dipped down into the single digits here in NC this past week.  This was extremely uncomfortable for me, but I can still mow the lawn in the summer here when the temp is in the 90s.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:44:37 PM by JoeP »
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
Isn't much of this really about the climate the individual has been subjected to and adapted to?  Look at New Orleans...there's folks living there that wouldn't think of living elsewhere...and it is one of the hottest and most humid cities in the US.

I think it has a lot to do with your metabolic rate.  I tend to "run hot".  I eat a lot of high calorie foods (and Beer!) which would make most folks Obese I think.  I got a paunch but I'm not fat by any means, and since my legs went south I don't do much exercise either.  Still don't get fat though.

So I think I am more comfortable in cold weather because it allows me to dissipate body heat better.  In hot weather, I sweat PROFUSELY.  It practically squirts out of my pores.  Body goes into overdrive trying to cool itself.

I am SOL if Guy McPherson is right.  I'll overheat in no time.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »

I think it has a lot to do with your metabolic rate.  I tend to "run hot".  I eat a lot of high calorie foods (and Beer!) which would make most folks Obese I think.  I got a paunch but I'm not fat by any means, and since my legs went south I don't do much exercise either.  Still don't get fat though.

So I think I am more comfortable in cold weather because it allows me to dissipate body heat better.  In hot weather, I sweat PROFUSELY.  It practically squirts out of my pores.  Body goes into overdrive trying to cool itself.

I am SOL if Guy McPherson is right.  I'll overheat in no time.

RE

I certainly have you in weight, and in Norfolk it runs to 90+/90+ plenty of times. But somehow I have managed to acclimate over the years. Still a good idea to cut grass in the cool of the evening though (although what used to take me an hour 25 years ago now takes me the better part of two, with several breaks tossed in.) I sweat as if I come with an internal shower. I consider it a tune-up.

I thought I knew hot... and then I went to New Orleans in June. And although I do not know firsthand, I am told that Houston in the summer is even MORE hot and humid than New Orleans. It would be difficult to imagine what equatorial climes are like in the summer.

Not sure I could ever acclimate to Nairobi, Mombasa-- just shoot me.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
For anyone interested -  The Ten Most Humid Cities In The U.S. 
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:05 PM »
For anyone interested - The Ten Most Humid Cities In The U.S.

That was right on time!!

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »

The only thing that sucks about -30, is living in a culture that makes you drive to work on such a day, or by which you are forced into seclusion. -30 on a SUNstead, play with the kids, work in the workshop, tend to the animals, fish, greenhouses, read, write - no problem.

WHD

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather:
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:38 AM »
Fires rage in Chile
More extreme weather. The earth changes are here. :-\

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KbBiOrh2N6Y&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KbBiOrh2N6Y&fs=1</a>

Published on Jan 11, 2014

Forest fires in Chile are so severe that the capital Santiago is blanketed in smoke, and health alerts are being issued in four regions of the country.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2014, 06:46:26 AM »

Youd be surprised, nairobi is quite cool being in the highlands and mombasa is typical tropical, but not the worst by any means.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »

Youd be surprised, nairobi is quite cool being in the highlands and mombasa is typical tropical, but not the worst by any means.

Then I stand corrected.

As a southern hemisphere guy, where is the most miserable (heat+humidity combo) climate you've ever endured?