PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Crazy Weather

AuthorTopic: Crazy Weather  (Read 90663 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #705 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
Shoveling and stuff.  Supposed to be working from home and I'm going to try.  Writing for the work blog!  It is different though.  Technical writing and it takes a lot of work to say things in a way people can understand.  Lots of work! 

I shoveled enough so I can get a car out into the cul-de-sac if needed and then down the slope to the main road which has been traveled to bare pavement, sort of.  In an emergency I can get out but not back in.  But that was yesterday and it snowed again.  I have about two feet on the roof.  I'd take a picture but it is really cold outside and I'm on the internet in my bathrobe.  Every now and then some slides off in a thud.

Glad to see that You're still with us.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #706 on: February 11, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »
Shoveling and stuff.  Supposed to be working from home and I'm going to try!

You're ALIVE! YAY!  :icon_sunny:

Now, where's the PICS of the SNOW and the VIDS of you shoveling, eh?

RE

I have to get motivated first.

What kind of motivation does it take to push a button on a camera or a phone?  ???  :icon_scratch:

RE

You need the motivation to change out of your pajamas, for one.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
☃️ Nadia arriving to wallop Seattle AGAIN!
« Reply #707 on: February 12, 2019, 12:16:20 AM »
Break out that snow shovel again K-Dog!  A dog's work is never done!

And get some PICS & VIDS!

RE

https://weather.com/safety/winter/news/2019-02-11-winter-storm-nadia-snow-west-midwest-east

Winter Storm Nadia to Bring the West More Snow Early This Week and Could Spread Toward the Midwest and East Late-Week

Winter Storm Nadia to Bring the West More Snow Early This Week and Could Spread Toward the Midwest and East Late-Week

By Chris Dolce

6 hours ago

weather.com

Winter Storm Nadia Enters the West
(A southward plunge of the jet stream will bring more snow and rain to the West Coast through Wednesday. Nadia will then spread snow and rain across the Midwest and East late in the week.)

At a Glance

• Nadia will bring more snow to the Northwest, including Seattle, early this week.
  • The winter storm will also bring snow and rain to other parts of the West through midweek.
  • Snow and rain from Nadia could spread through the Midwest and East later in the week.

Winter Storm Nadia will bring more snow to the Pacific Northwest early this week before spreading toward California, the Intermountain West and possibly parts of the Midwest and East with snow and rain later in the week ahead.

Happening Now

Nadia is spreading snow across parts of the Pacific Northwest.

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport had picked up 5.1 inches of snow through Monday afternoon, a daily snow record for Feb. 11. That brings Seattle's February snowfall total to 19.2 inches, its eighth-snowiest month on record and the snowiest month in 50 years.

As a result, roadways were slick around the Seattle metro area Monday evening, and multiple collisions forced Interstate 90 closed over Snoqualmie Pass, Washington.

Current Radar

There will be a sharp southward plunge of the jet stream setting up adjacent to the West Coast in the first half of this week. We expect this to produce another round of snow in low elevations of the Pacific Northwest. Unlike Winter Storm Maya last week, Nadia will draw in milder air, allowing snow to eventually mix with rain in the Seattle area, but poor travel conditions are still likely there.

The jet-stream energy associated with Nadia could then slide through the West and into the Midwest during the latter half of the week, potentially spreading more wintry weather through the nation's northern tier.

Winter storm warnings and watches and winter weather advisories have been issued by the National Weather Service from the Northwest into the Sierra Nevada of California.

Winter Weather Alerts
(From the National Weather Service.)

Here's what to expect from Nadia in the week ahead

(LATEST NEWS: Winter Storm Nadia Impacts)

West Forecast

Through Tuesday

• Portions of west-central Washington, including Seattle, will see snow gradually mix with or change over to rain by Tuesday morning. Expect poor travel conditions in the region.
  • Heavier snow totals are possible north of Seattle toward Everett.
  • The Cascades will likely see 1 to 3 feet of snow, including Interstate 90 through Snoqualmie Pass, Washington.
  • Portland, Oregon, and the rest of the Willamette Valley will see rain from Nadia through Tuesday.
  • Interior areas of the Northwest, including Spokane, Washington, will also see several inches of additional snow early this week.

Additional Snowfall Forecast

Wednesday-Thursday

• Nadia will slide farther south and eastward by Tuesday night into Wednesday.
  • Another round of heavy snow will impact the Sierra Nevada, but snow levels will likely rise as the storm draws in warmer air, possibly as high as 7,000 feet by Wednesday afternoon.
  • Moderate to heavy rain is possible in the lower elevations of California, including San Francisco and Los Angeles.
  • Strong winds will accompany the storm in parts of California.
  • Snow will also impact parts of the Intermountain West.

Wednesday's Forecast
(The green shadings depict where rain is expected. Areas that are shaded blue are expected to see snow. Purple-shaded locations may see either rain or snow. Areas in pink are expected to see sleet or freezing rain (ice).)

How Much Rain and Snow?

• Several feet of additional snow will bury the Sierra Nevada, particularly above 7,000 feet in elevation, from late Tuesday through Thursday.
  • The snow and strong winds could cause tree damage and power outages.
  • California's lower elevations could see 1 to 3 inches of rain late Tuesday through Thursday. Foothill locations may see higher totals over 3 inches.
  • Rivers and streams are likely to rise in parts of California from the combination of rain and melting snow.

Rain and Snow Forecast

Midwest and East Forecast

Thursday-Friday

• The forecast for Nadia in the Midwest and East late this week is increasingly uncertain.
  • Snow or rain could spread through parts of those regions, but forecast guidance is not in agreement on exactly what areas may see wet or wintry weather.
  • Here's our latest outlook for Friday, but keep in mind that it will likely change in future forecast updates.
  • Check back with weather.com for additional updates and details.

Friday's Forecast
(While it is too soon to pinpoint precisely who will see what precipitation type, the green shadings depict where rain is expected. Areas that are shaded blue are expected to see snow. Purple-shaded locations may see either rain or snow. Areas in pink are expected to see sleet or freezing rain (ice).)
The Weather Company’s primary journalistic mission is to report on breaking weather news, the environment and the importance of science to our lives. This story does not necessarily represent the position of our parent company, IBM.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 12, 2019, 12:47:40 AM »
Shoveling and stuff.  Supposed to be working from home and I'm going to try!

You're ALIVE! YAY!  :icon_sunny:

Now, where's the PICS of the SNOW and the VIDS of you shoveling, eh?

RE

I have to get motivated first.

What kind of motivation does it take to push a button on a camera or a phone?  ???  :icon_scratch:

RE

You need the motivation to change out of your pajamas, for one.

No you don't.  I go outside in my Pajamas all the time.  I LIVE in Pajamas!  Besides, K-Dog has to go out to shovel the snow anyhow.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 12, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
I got newz from Brian that the I-90 between Seattle & Spokane is closed due to Avalanche.

It is times like these I am glad I am no longer in the Trucking Bizness.  Hope LD is doing OK.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks like Seattle will be buried for a few more days at least
« Reply #710 on: February 12, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZbNiKgLMZU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SZbNiKgLMZU</a>

Howz your food supply doing K-Dog?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 12, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
Day-um.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
6 inches of dense snow since noon... supposed to keep going for another 12 hours here. Final accumulation supposed to be over 12 inches. Although it gets quite cold traditionally we rarely get hit with this much all at once. Everyone busy getting ready. I actually plugged in the batteries to top them off. Watered the chickens, filled the wood box and dont plan on leaving the house at all tomorrow if I can help it. School is already cancelled. Stay warm everyone...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLeInScKka8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nLeInScKka8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DHpiy0K8sIY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DHpiy0K8sIY</a>
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:23:28 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2019, 06:09:04 PM »
6 inches of dense snow since noon... supposed to keep going for another 12 hours here. Final accumulation supposed to be over 12 inches. Although it gets quite cold traditionally we rarely get hit with this much all at once. Everyone busy getting ready. I actually plugged in the batteries to top them off. Watered the chickens, filled the wood box and dont plan on leaving the house at all tomorrow if I can help it. School is already cancelled. Stay warm everyone...

What about shoveling out the driveway?

Temps here a Balmy 30F.  They will drop again tomorrow though to 16F or so.  Doesn't look like any snow in the forecast until Saturday.  One more good Snow Event would be good right before the Iditarod gets underway though.  I will be covering that again in detail, I renewed my subscription so I have access to all the GPS tracking and the reports and videos from the waypoints on the trail.  The Last Great Race on Earth is the only sporting event I follow anymore, I don't even follow gymnastics anymore since the Larry Nasser debacle.  I certainly do not follow the NFL, NBA or MLB anymore.  ::)

Iditarod kicks off the first week in March.  Visit the Diner to get the latest updates on the Dogs and the Mushers.

RE
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:10:56 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #714 on: February 12, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
SeattleSnowDazze
SeattleSnowDazze

Ok everybody here is a pic of what it looks like.  The two cars were brushed clean two hours before this pic was taken and the garbage cans were brushed off at the same time.  They have been waiting to get picked up for a week and had a lump a foot deep on top.  You can't tell the cars are matching black Mercedes.  The cul-de-sac is not plowed as all our property taxes only fund schools.  Behind the cars to the street I shoveled clean and will again tomorrow.  Then I make a path from the cul-de-sac to the main street where I a plow has been by at least once and traffic has made the road somewhat passable.  Not much distance behind the cars but it was thick and heavy the first time I did it.  Getting out could be a problem if I don't make a path down to the street because it is so thick.  When it was less than a foot  I could have punched out of the driveway and momentum could have turned me to point down the incline.  The incline we live on could have helped me to the relatively clear street.  Now I'll have to shovel a path about fifty feet long.  It is hard to tell the cul-de-sac is on an incline in the pic.  Everything is white. 

The house straight across the street is the mirror image of ours.  Same floor plan and builder.  Ours is a bit more 'split' with stairways between levels having an extra step.  As the crow flies this is about 15 miles from downtown Seattle in a location I picked so that no matter where I worked in our local area the job would be 'commutable'.  The house is about equal distance from Seattle and anyplace on the 'Eastside' where a high tech worker is likely to find a gig.  Over the years the choice proved wise.  I even was working in Everett for a while and did not have to move.  Everett is the next big city on the sound up north from Seattle.  It is the same distance as Tacoma but in the opposite direction. 

We bought the house new and it is paid for.  Now we buy schools.  Schools far too fancy to be good for any learnin!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:41:30 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 12, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »
SeattleSnowDazze
SeattleSnowDazze

Ok everybody here is a pic of what it looks like.  The two cars were brushed clean two hours before this pic was taken and the garbage cans were brushed off at the same time.  They have been waiting to get picked up for a week and had a lump a foot deep on top.  You can't tell the cars are matching black Mercedes.  The cul-de-sac is not plowed as all our property taxes only fund schools.  Behind the cars to the street I shoveled clean and will again tomorrow.  Then I make a path from the cul-de-sac to the main street where I a plow has been by at least once and traffic has made the road somewhat passable.  Not much distance behind the cars but it was thick and heavy the first time I did it.  Getting out could be a problem if I don't make a path down to the street because it is so thick.  When it was less than a foot  I could have punched out of the driveway and momentum could have turned me to point down the incline.  The incline we live on could have helped me to the relatively clear street.  Now I'll have to shovel a path about fifty feet long.  It is hard to tell the cul-de-sac is on an incline in the pic.  Everything is white. 

The house straight across the street is the mirror image of ours.  Same floor plan and builder.  Ours is a bit more 'split' with stairways between levels having an extra step.  As the crow flies this is about 15 miles from downtown Seattle in a location I picked so that no matter where I worked in our local area the job would be 'commutable'.  The house is about equal distance from Seattle and anyplace on the 'Eastside' where a high tech worker is likely to find a gig.  Over the years the choice proved wise.  I even was working in Everett for a while and did not have to move.  Everett is the next big city on the sound up north from Seattle.  It is the same distance as Tacoma but in the opposite direction. 

We bought the house new and it is paid for.  Now we buy schools.  Schools far too fancy to be good for any learnin!

Pics!   YAY!  Now we need vids of K-Dog shoveling snow!

You could get together with neighbors and hire a private Plowboy with a big ass Dodge Ram or Ford 350 and a plow to do the Cul-de-Sac.  That is what all the McMansion Dwellers around here do.  Probably cost about $100 each.  A lot EZier than digging it out by hand.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #716 on: February 12, 2019, 10:48:16 PM »
All my neighbors speak Chinese and none of them have anything to do with white people or neighbors.  They are from China, not San Fransisco. Huge difference!  The guy across the street has been able to get in and out in a four wheel drive and has been living across the street for two years.  We have not met and I doubt we ever will.  He won't even make eye contact.  Tomorrow I shovel.

I'll guess that they have strange notions about what Americans are like.  As they keep to themselves whatever it is they think won't be changing anytime soon.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Even Hawaii had been under siege, although the storms eased Tuesday. The state Parks Division reported that "for perhaps the first time ever" snow fell in a Hawaii state park.

Sixty-foot waves and wind gusts up to 191 mph also were part of a fierce weekend storm that toppled trees and power lines."

60' Waves!  Surf's Up!

Who said climate change has all bad outcomes?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ygq0kn7ed7s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ygq0kn7ed7s</a>

RE

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/12/winter-storms-sleet-snow-seattle-new-york/2845279002/

Storms wallop millions from Seattle to Boston; West Coast braces for another onslaught
Doyle Rice and John Bacon, USA TODAY Published 8:47 a.m. ET Feb. 12, 2019 | Updated 6:36 p.m. ET Feb. 12, 2019

Storm-Buried Pacific Northwest Faces More Impending SnowTime
CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Winter's icy grip wreaked havoc across a wide swath of the northern U.S. on Tuesday, bringing sleet, snow, ice, power outages and commuter headaches to more than 100 million people from Seattle to Boston.

The worst of Tuesday's eastern storm will wind down Wednesday, though strong winds and snow showers will still create a wintry feel in the Midwest and Northeast.

Meanwhile, for folks in the West, the weather misery is only getting started: The storm that slammed Washington state Tuesday will roar down the coast into California over the next few days, walloping the region with torrential rain and yards of snow.

"The worst of the storm is forecast to focus on central and northern California, with a heightened threat of flooding, mudslides, erosion, power outages, avalanches and road-closing snowfall in the mountains," AccuWeather meteorologist Alex Sosnowski warned.

On Tuesday, while the eastern storm dumped snow and ice on the Midwest and Northeast, it also brought rain, floods, high winds and tornado warnings to the Southeast, AccuWeather meteorologist Tyler Roys said.

"This storm is unique in that it brought a significant storm to Seattle and a wintry mess to so many big cities – Chicago, Detroit, New York and Boston," Roys told USA TODAY. "When you include the South, the storm is impacting almost every part of the United States in some shape or form."

As of late Tuesday, almost 90,000 homes and businesses were without power in Washington state alone, and another 100,000 plus in the Midwest and South.

More than 4,000 flights were canceled or delayed nationwide, including 1,000 in and out of New York's Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.

Newark International Airport reported some incoming flights were being delayed at departure cities by four hours.
Patrick Cain, of Manitowoc, Wis., shovels out his entryway as snow blankets the area Feb. 12, 2019.

Patrick Cain, of Manitowoc, Wis., shovels out his entryway as snow blankets the area Feb. 12, 2019. (Photo: Joshua Clark, USA TODAY Network)

Commuters across most of the nation's northern tier were also affected by the snow and ice. As much as a foot and a half of snow pasted portions of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan over the past few days, the National Weather Service said.

"Expect your drive to be at least twice as long," Michigan's Transportation Department warned Detroit commuters. "Icy rain making for tough driving conditions. SLOW DOWN!"

Parts of northern New Jersey were bracing for up to 8 inches of snow and ice, and Gov. Phil Murphy declared a state of emergency for the entire state. Upstate New York and northern New England could see up to 18 inches.

Areas north of Baltimore were hit with more than 5 inches of snow Monday topped by sleet and freezing rain Tuesday. In Philadelphia, a passenger was injured when a SEPTA bus jackknifed and crashed into a North Philadelphia home on a snowy, slick street.

Schools in Seattle and across much of the area were shuttered for a second straight day Tuesday as a mix of rain and snow continued to fall across the region.

The city, which averages less than 7 inches of snow a year, already has seen three times that amount. Boston's snow total this month, before Tuesday: 0 inches. Seattle: 20.2 inches.
Facebook
Twitter
Google
LinkedIn
Winter storms roar across country
 Fullscreen

The 20.2 inches of snow this month at Sea-Tac airport makes it the snowiest February on record for that location, the Weather Service said.

And in downtown Seattle, only one other February had more snow: In 1916, when 35.4 inches fell.

"Here's another statistic that sets this month apart," the Seattle Weather Service office tweeted. "Including ALL months going back to 1894, there have been only been 5 months (including this one) in which 6  inch snowfall occurred twice in the same month."

More: There's 'no place on the planet' – not even Hawaii – to escape climate change

Even Hawaii had been under siege, although the storms eased Tuesday. The state Parks Division reported that "for perhaps the first time ever" snow fell in a Hawaii state park.

Sixty-foot waves and wind gusts up to 191 mph also were part of a fierce weekend storm that toppled trees and power lines.

“The forecasters were calling this an unprecedented event and we concur," said Sam Lemmo, administrator for Hawaii's Office of Conservation and Coastal Lands. "We rarely if ever have seen the combination of record high on-shore waves, coupled with gale-force winds.”
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Trade-In that Mercedes K-Dog!
« Reply #718 on: February 13, 2019, 01:10:39 AM »
All my neighbors speak Chinese and none of them have anything to do with white people or neighbors.  They are from China, not San Fransisco. Huge difference!  The guy across the street has been able to get in and out in a four wheel drive and has been living across the street for two years.  We have not met and I doubt we ever will.  He won't even make eye contact.  Tomorrow I shovel.

I'll guess that they have strange notions about what Americans are like.  As they keep to themselves whatever it is they think won't be changing anytime soon.

I guess you'll just have to drive over to the Dealership and trade in your current Mercedes for one of these:

Only $70K.  You probably get $10K on the trade in.  A Bargain.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 13, 2019, 07:00:03 AM »
I don't buy new cars.  Never have.

They have been making this model a few years.  You can buy an older one.

RE
Save As Many As You Can