AuthorTopic: Crazy Weather  (Read 81404 times)

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Crazy Weather - Firenadoes engulf Redding, Ca.
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
https://abcnews.go.com/US/northern-california-wildfire-taking-path/story?id=56859441
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #631 on: July 29, 2018, 01:11:03 PM »

By The Washington Post

In the town of Sodankyla, Finland, the thermometer on July 17 registered a record-breaking 90 degrees, a remarkable figure given that Sodankyla is 59 miles north of the Arctic Circle, in a region known for winter snowmobiling and an abundance of reindeer.

This is a hot, strange and dangerous summer across the planet.

Greece is in mourning after scorching heat and high winds fueled wildfires that have killed more than 80 people. Japan recorded its highest temperature in history, 106 degrees, in a heat wave that killed 65 people in a week and hospitalized 22,000, shortly after catastrophic flooding killed 200.

Montreal hit 98 degrees on July 2, its warmest temperature ever measured. Canadian health officials estimate as many as 70 people died in that heat wave.

In the United States, 35 weather stations in the past month have set new marks for warm overnight temperatures. Southern California has had record heat and widespread power outages. In Yosemite Valley, which is imperiled by wildfires, park rangers have told everyone to flee.

The brutal weather has been supercharged by human-induced climate change, scientists say. Climate models for three decades have predicted exactly what the world is seeing this summer.

https://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2018/07/climate_change_global_warming_1.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
☀️ Today cold be the hottest day in the history of Europe
« Reply #632 on: August 04, 2018, 04:06:16 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/08/03/today-could-be-the-hottest-day-in-the-history-of-europe/

Today cold be the hottest day in the history of Europe
August 3, 2018

Children cool off in fountains in Paris on Aug. 3.

LISBON — Temperatures in Spain and Portugal soared to near-record highs Friday as part of Europe’s heat wave, and governments put emergency services on alert for forest fires.

Iberia’s heat wave, caused by hot air from North Africa, is the most severe since 2003. Elsewhere, summer has brought forest fires and drought to places as far apart as Britain, Scandinavia and Greece.

Temperatures in many parts of Spain and Portugal will remain above 104 degrees Fahrenheit at least until Sunday, and could rise a further 3 or 4 degrees. That could push them above Europe’s previous record high of 118 F, set in Athens in 1977.

The previous record highs in both Spain and Portugal were just over 116 F. In Portugal, local media ran stories on how temperatures could beat Death Valley in California, one of the hottest places on Earth.

“Lisbon will be one of the hottest cities in the world this weekend because it’s 10 in the morning right now and the weather is already way too hot,” said Ana Pascoal, 56, a cleaner at a high-end restaurant. “It really is unbearable.”

Several places in Portugal’s parched southern Alentejo region were forecast to hit 116 F. The country went on high alert in an effort to prevent a repeat of the worst fires in history last year, which killed 114 people.

Francois Jobard, a weather forecaster for Meteo France, said the hot air mass from North Africa “will possibly result in record temperatures in Portugal and Spain with [113 F] expected from now until Saturday, and even hotter than that.”

At the other end of the Mediterranean, Greece was hit by wildfires that killed 91 people last month.
see also
A global map of temperatures on July 24, 2018 when measured from six feet above sea levels.
Our planet is one big fireball

Spanish authorities put out a heat wave warning for most of central Spain, expected to last until Sunday with temperatures of over 108 F in some parts of Andalusia and Extremadura.

Two men have died of heat stroke in the southeastern region of Murcia, Cadena Ser radio station reported Wednesday. They were a 48-year-old man working on roads and a 78-year-old man who was working in his community garden, Cadena Ser said.

In Switzerland, mountain railways reported booming business as city dwellers fled to the Alps. Fishery authorities in the canton of Zurich were combing creeks to rescue fish from suffocation as streams dry up or oxygen levels plunge.

The Swiss army let soldiers wear shorts and T-shirts instead of standard uniforms.

Farther north in Scandinavia, temperatures hit records until a few days ago. In Sweden, July was a record hot month and wildfires burned in parts of the country. Authorities warned of extreme risk of wildfires again this weekend.

Meanwhile, authorities on both sides of the Baltic Sea, in Sweden and Poland, have warned against swimming due to a huge bloom of toxic algae spreading because of high temperatures.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 11, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »
The heat finally broke in Boston today 70 degrees and raining as I write. Never thought I would welcome a cool rainy day with such glee or dread the sun coming up in the morning. Crazy weather indeed.

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 11, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »
From Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Not so good on the East Coast of Oz.

JOW

NSW Government says entire state in drought, new DPI figures reveal full extent of big dry
By Joanna Woodburn
Updated Wed at 3:03pm

Key points:
All of NSW, and about 60 per cent of Queensland is in drought
Last month, the NSW Government increased its drought assistance to more than $1 billion
Sydney has no additional water restrictions
Figures from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) show every part of the state is affected by the dry conditions, with almost one quarter classified as being in "intense drought".

Until now, some parts of the NSW north coast have either been classified as being not in, or recovering from, drought.

The State Government has already announced more than $1 billion in drought relief measures.

"We've seen the area of drought just expand slightly, we've seen the area of intense drought expand and slightly change its focus," DPI agricultural climatologist Anthony Clark said.

Less than 10 millimetres of rain has been recorded during the past month in the western, north west and central areas of NSW.

The DPI says the data shows parts of the central west recorded their driest July, and a lot of NSW experienced its driest autumn.

"This is tough, there isn't a person in the state that isn't hoping to see some rain for our farmers and regional communities," NSW Primary Industries Minister Niall Blair said.

"Producers are now faced with some very difficult decisions on whether to graze sown crops or rely on potential rainfall in the next two months in order to increase yield production."

Mr Clark said the outlook remained bleak for much of NSW.

"The probability of these warm, dry conditions continuing is a little higher," he said.

Farmers in NSW and Queensland are calling it the worst drought in living memory. They want their city cousins to acknowledge the disaster.
Chair of the Australian Fodder Industry Association Frank McRae said NSW had practically run out of feed for its animals.

"There's pretty much virtually nothing in NSW and supplies are rapidly drying up in southern Victoria," Mr McRae said.

"You have to go back to 1981-1982 to see a drought this widespread and so severe."

BOM meteorologist Jane Golding said every part of NSW normally received rain throughout June, July and August.

"This year we haven't really seen either of those and last year as well we didn't really see too much of the either of those rain bearing systems making their way into NSW," she said.

"It is unusually dry and also unusually warm which exacerbates the problems, so the warm temperatures dry out the soils even more."

The BOM and DPI said eastern Australia remained on an El Nino watch, which would reduce the likelihood of significant rains during spring.

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-08/nsw-government-says-entire-state-is-now-in-drought/10088628

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 11, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
From Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Not so good on the East Coast of Oz.

JOW

That explains the cheap prices on Rack of Lamb at 3 Bears.  They must be culling the herd.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2018, 02:06:22 AM »
Yes a lot of culling happening right now. I am sure a lot is going in freezer containers and being exported. We have a small local market compared to US or EU. Farmers have been struggling to feed stock for a while so condition is poor and feed prices are getting higher. Lamb hit hardest. Prices are quite low and poor quality.

A lot of baled hay getting shipped North from my area right now. We have had reasonable rains over winter in Victoria. Need some warmer days now to grow more pasture or it will run out shortly too. Spring is not far away. Where I am is more horse, dairy and beef cattle area. Further North and West is big sheep and cereal cropping areas where dry conditions are right now. (Where I originally come from).

Still plenty of beef from feedlots, so seems to be less impacted for now. I am sure prices will rise as feed becomes too expensive. If drought conditions continue into spring and summer grain prices will spike which effects feedlots significantly.

Starting to look like an El-nino is on the way. That usually means hotter and dryer SE Oz including Victoria, so does not look good.

I am planting more gardens, fruit and nut trees and have installed more water tanks over winter. They have all filled nicely.

Good to hear you eat lamb. I know it is not as popular in US as here where roast lamb and veges is very traditional fare. Our vast sheep stations in the semi-arid areas produce it relatively cheaply. Fat lambs were also a byproduct of our huge wool industry which collapsed in late 80's. Wool was once was our biggest export. Flock is now trending towards more meat producing breeds which don't need to be clipped.  Further North and hotter you go the more beef cattle take over.

We really should be eating Kangaroo instead. Much better suited to environment, and very lean healthy meat. Mainly used here for pet food.

JOW

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2018, 02:26:15 AM »
We really should be eating Kangaroo instead. Much better suited to environment, and very lean healthy meat. Mainly used here for pet food.

Roo-Burger Seattle.  I can see it now.  The problem is sadly, we just lost our pilot crashing the first plane he ever flew.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LeYVtVg6aGs?ecver=2" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LeYVtVg6aGs?ecver=2</a>

He could have flown the meat in.  It would have been a hit.  Healthy and expensive.  Perfect for Seattle.  Babes on roller skates car hopping in Aussie hats.  I close my eyes and see beauty.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:29:23 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:29 AM »
I like the way you think... Might be a franchise opportunity!
We can air freight it in on Qantas. They are reliable.
I have eaten at Hooters. Was not what I would call fine cuisine. I am sure we could come up with a winning formula.

Salt water crocodile is also quite good eating. Could have croc and roo platers washed down with decent (Aussie) cold beer, served by nubile wenches in Blundstone boots, Acubra hats and blue singlets....

Sounds a bit like half the outback pubs I have been to now I think about it....

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 13, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »
Good to hear you eat lamb. I know it is not as popular in US as here where roast lamb and veges is very traditional fare.

JOW

I'm a big fan of Lamb, particularly Rack of Lamb, aka rib chops.

Did you ever read my essay on the life story of Baa-Baa, a Baby Lamb from Oz?  :icon_sunny:

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2015/01/11/requiem-for-baa-baa/

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 16, 2018, 03:42:11 AM »
Yep, have read the essay now.
Most shocking bit is the price! We pay less is $AUS for 1kg of lamb than you pay for a pound in $US. Just checked: Lamb roast leg $12/kg; about $9US per kg... Around $2.20 a pound?
No sheep in Alaska?
Leg lamb roast with garlic and rosmary, roast potatoes, carrots and pumpkin is traditional fare here, and my favourite by far.

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
❄️ Crazy Weather
« Reply #641 on: August 22, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
Guess what?  After about a dozen days of straight rain here on the Last Great Frontier, today we have a bright Blue Sky with Puffy picture perfect clouds and very low humidity.  In other words, it's the kind of day perfect for exploring Glaciers or making Bonfires on the Last Great Frontier, exactly the type of day we did NOT get the entire time Eddie and his Missus were visiting.  By the picture they got of this location, I am sure they believe Alaska is a non-stop Rain-fest all year around, except when it is Snowing of course.

This is really not true, at least not for this part of Alaska in the Matanuska-Susitna River Valley in "normal" years, although it is pretty true along the coast of SE Alaska by Juneau & Ketchikan.  This weather has been very anomalous for my location by historical standards, and was quite depressing to have to deal with for this vacation for the whole time.  There wasn't a single break in the rain, just periods which varied from heavy to just a drizzle or misting in the saturated atmosphere.  Making fires was difficult at best, and for a Cripple who is rapidly losing the meat off his bones, quite chilly to sit around on an RV Jump Seat on all day.  By the end of every day I was completely bone-depth COLD which I really did not tell Eddie anything about because I didn't want to spoil HIS vacation with his wife.  I only really mentioned this on Tuesday when we did not have an Electric hookup for the RV and so did not have heat for it that night.  I figured this RV would have a Propane fired heater like my 30 year old Tioga, but it did not, it was either all Electric or a Propane fired heater controlled by electric which would not fire up without a source of Electricity.  So Tuesday night was just FUCKING COLD, as cold a night as I have ever spent anywhere at any time including my Adventures driving the Truck in the Canadian Wilderness and the 3 weeks I spent in a snow cave witha dozen sled dogs and two other male Homo Saps waiting out a Spring Snowstorm.  At least in that case despite not having a Fire we had the Dogs who were outputting quite a bit of heat and ourselves in a snow cave  about the size of a small linen closet.  Not the most pleasant of environments to spend your days, but a fuck load better than an ice cold RV Jump Seat.

So now I am back in the RE Digs safe and removed from this NIGHTMARE of a "Vacation" and gradually internalizing the realization that I will never again go Camping and I will never again inflict my Crippled self on anyone I still call a friend, which becomes an ever smaller number by the day.  I in fact expect to die at this point completely without friends, only people who used to think of me as a friend but now Hate My Guts because I am a Cripple who depends on them.

On the Upside, tonight I will try to enjoy a Salmon fillet I never got to cook on the rainy LGABLA and pretend again that I am enjoying the last part of my life, which I in fact totally hate and wish would be over with already.

Best of luck to all of you in negotiating Collapse, I hope you are luckier than Eddie and his Missus and manage to stay well clear of me through the rest of this spin down.  I am no fun to be around anymore.

RE
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:21:03 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌊 Wisconsin’s catastrophic flooding is a glimpse of the Midwest’s future
« Reply #642 on: September 06, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »
https://grist.org/article/wisconsins-catastrophic-flooding-is-a-glimpse-of-the-midwests-drenched-future/

Wisconsin National Guard   

underwater
Wisconsin’s catastrophic flooding is a glimpse of the Midwest’s drenched future
By Eric Holthaus   on Sep 5, 2018

An entire summer’s worth of rain has fallen across a broad swath of the Midwest in recent days. The resulting record floods have wrecked homes and altered the paths of rivers, in one case destroying a waterfall in Minnesota. The worst-affected region, southwest Wisconsin, has received more than 20 inches of rain in 15 days– more than it usually gets in six months.

Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin declared a statewide emergency last week, mobilizing the Wisconsin National Guard to assist flood victims if necessary. The Kickapoo River in southwest Wisconsin rose to record levels — as high as six feet above the previous high water mark — producing damage that local emergency management officials described as “breathtaking.”

In the tiny Wisconsin town of Gays Mills, this is the third catastrophic flood in 10 years. After floods a decade ago, about a quarter of the residents left, and the town was partially rebuilt on higher ground. But this time around is even worse — with almost every home in the town damaged.

Is there a connection to climate change? Well, a warmer atmosphere can hold more water vapor, and the region’s main moisture source — the Gulf of Mexico — has reached record-warm levels in recent years, helping to spur an increase in precipitation intensity. Since the 1950s, the amount of rain falling in the heaviest storms has increased by 37 percent in the Midwest.

But there’s more to it than that. Decades of development have also paved over land that used to soak up rainwater. Earlier this year, Wisconsin took controversial steps to loosen restrictions on lakeside development.

Madison, home to the state’s flagship university, has seen the brunt of the flooding so far. The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s center that specializes in studying lakes is itself flooded. “This is what climate change looks like,” Adam Hinterthuer, the center’s spokesperson, wrote in a blog post. On Twitter, the center posted maps of recent floods alongside projections for the worst expected floods later this century. They matched remarkably well.

For Eric Booth, a climate scientist at the university, the whole thing is almost too much to comprehend. His research project on small stream water temperatures was washed away by the flooding. “The scale of what is happening is absolutely unbelievable to witness,” Booth wrote in an email. Booth’s own calculations showed that rainfall over the past 30 days is an approximately 1-in-1,000 year occurrence, assuming a stable climate. (That, obviously, isn’t a good assumption anymore.)

Flooding in the Madison area has boosted lake levels to all-time highs, reigniting a more than 150-year dispute between boaters (who like lake levels high to avoid damage to their boats), conservationists (who want to avoid damage to sensitive shoreline ecosystems and wetlands), and property owners downstream (whose land gets flooded when water is released too quickly). That conflict has creeped into Madison’s mayoral election, where candidates have called for a new lake management plan in the face of more frequent extreme storms.

By late this century, on a business-as-usual path, those storms could nearly double in frequency, according to University of Wisconsin research. As an editorial earlier this summer in the Des Moines Register said, “Climate change never feels more real than when you’re dragging wet carpet from a flooded basement.”
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 06, 2018, 05:37:16 AM »
God is punishing Gay Mills because he hates gays.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Crazy Weather - 7 named storms, Is Day After Tomorrow Upon Us ?
« Reply #644 on: September 15, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »

Is something extremely unusual happening to our planet? At this moment, Hurricane Florence is just one of seven named storms that are currently circling the globe. That matches the all-time record, and it looks like that record will be broken very shortly as a couple more storms continue to develop. Back in 2004, a Hollywood blockbuster entitled “The Day After Tomorrow” depicted a world in which weather patterns had gone mad. One of the most impressive scenes showed nearly the entire planet covered by hurricane-type storms all at once. Of course things are not nearly as bad as in that film, but during this hurricane season we have definitely seen a very unusual number of hurricanes and typhoons develop. As our planet continues to change, could this become “the new normal”?

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/a-record-7-named-storms-are-swirling-across-the-globe-has-the-day-after-tomorrow-arrived_09142018