AuthorTopic: Crazy Weather  (Read 109457 times)

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #840 on: December 13, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »

Willful Denial or Willful Ignorance is certainly a big part of the problem, but plain old STUPIDITY is an even bigger problem  You have to remember that 50% of all Homo Saps on the planet have an IQ under 100, and they mostly cannot grasp the problem at all.  Then my guess is that you find the Willfully Ignorant from 100 to 120 on the IQ scale.  Above 120 I think most of those folks understand it and the consequences of it, with a few who Deny it anyway because their jobs and high incomes depend on it.  Our former group Troll Moriarty (MKing) fits that category.

RE

Yeah, but.....
You are letting the stupid climate deniers off the hook. Not even sure how to measure stupidity really. I have a few friends who you would describe as low IQ, but they are not stupid... Sounds contradictory, but I have observed this again and again. Low IQ and uneducated individuals can still make decisions and ask if not sure. Stupid should be measured by actions not IQ.
Few people cant see reality and listen to scientists even if they dont understand.
I was always amused when "illiterate" migrant uneducated factory workers were able to read the betting odds in the paper, or heaven forbid I shorted them half an hour on their pay slips!
People will understand if they want to understand.

The most dangerous person is the idiot who does not know he is an idiot.

JOW

Offline BuddyJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 13, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »

JOW

Boy isn't that a truism.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 13, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »

JOW

Boy isn't that a truism.

This is the problem our old Troll Moriarty (MKing) had.  Somethings are so broken you can't fix them, and that goes for people too.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #843 on: December 14, 2019, 12:36:45 AM »

I believe climate deniers will die defending the satus que as they run out of water, food, get heat stroke or burn to death.
A longer answer:
Nothing will change peoples minds if they dont want to change. Its the old science Vs religion arguament. People somehow make a virtue out of still believing something despite evidence to the contrary. The more strong the evidence the more virtuous the denial. I have been told I amstupid for the simple preps I have done, (Gen set and water tanks etc), yet the same people will complain if the power goes out, or water restrictions means their gardens look poor. Not only are they deniers, but they believe it is their duty to discourage and in fact attack others who have a different opinion, or take actions. Its like they think you are acusing them of being lazy, or evil, even though all you are doing is minding your own business and looking after yourself. Once again sounds like Religion Vs science.. Or perhaps vegans Vs non-vegans. You are not allowed to do your thing as it offends others, and others are not allowed to be offended.

//

I asked the same people what do you think will hapen when we run out of oil. They said we will find more. I explained the question in more detail going over how a finite resources cant be used forever. Got the same answer. We will find more.
When it gets hot, just turn the AC dial to 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

You cant apply logic to fight willfull ignorance. Dont try; its sends you fucking bonkers.

JOW

One of the wisest assessments go ignorance and its adherents that I've read here. We see it in this country as well: the ignorant double down on crazy when confronted.

Look forward to seeing these people again when the power goes off or the water runs out.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline AJ

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 14, 2019, 03:39:16 AM »

Many people dont want to believe things are bad, or changing, or they might have had any hand in it. Easier to ignore and turn up the air conditioner than to accept whats happening. Once you accept it, you either get depressed or angry. Some even get motivated to do something.. Nobody wants to be depressed or angry. Even less want to get up off the couch and do something. I dont want to grow old either, but life is full of bad outcomes we dont have a choice in. Modern society seems to push the idea you dont have to be uncomfortable. Instant gratification and miracle cures are all around. No one wants to put in the effort anymore and have some discomfort.

JOW
Thanks for your answer to my question.
My response to being more depressed or angry is to drink more. Not good for me but it's a coping mechanism. Sadly my wife is a BAU person. She might be anti-Trump but figures this mode of civilization will go on forever AND someone will figure out a way for her (and our kids) to continue living comfortable life. She is the "wife" in the movie "The Road" who goes out to die in the darkness rather than face the future in a destroyed world. One of my kids is like my wife but most see the future darkly.

If only we had more time I think most of those deniers are old white guys who will die off - if only they would go faster!!! Meanwhile I prep, grow food and worry about fires/water. Here in WET Oregon we are only into the rainy season since October 1 and are already 10" below normal in rainfall (my wife could care less).  (Don't mean to bitch about my wife so much but she is/was a highly educated/"intelligent" lawyer). My take-away is that intelligence doesn't so much matter, people believe what they want to be comfortable and accepted in the greater society and here in the USofA that means BAU will just keep getting better (Elon Musk says so - and we get to go to Mars too :laugh:) and will go on forever.
I myself am a depressed Rationalist.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 14, 2019, 05:40:01 AM »

Many people dont want to believe things are bad, or changing, or they might have had any hand in it. Easier to ignore and turn up the air conditioner than to accept whats happening. Once you accept it, you either get depressed or angry. Some even get motivated to do something.. Nobody wants to be depressed or angry. Even less want to get up off the couch and do something. I dont want to grow old either, but life is full of bad outcomes we dont have a choice in. Modern society seems to push the idea you dont have to be uncomfortable. Instant gratification and miracle cures are all around. No one wants to put in the effort anymore and have some discomfort.

JOW
Thanks for your answer to my question.
My response to being more depressed or angry is to drink more. Not good for me but it's a coping mechanism. Sadly my wife is a BAU person. She might be anti-Trump but figures this mode of civilization will go on forever AND someone will figure out a way for her (and our kids) to continue living comfortable life. She is the "wife" in the movie "The Road" who goes out to die in the darkness rather than face the future in a destroyed world. One of my kids is like my wife but most see the future darkly.

If only we had more time I think most of those deniers are old white guys who will die off - if only they would go faster!!! Meanwhile I prep, grow food and worry about fires/water. Here in WET Oregon we are only into the rainy season since October 1 and are already 10" below normal in rainfall (my wife could care less).  (Don't mean to bitch about my wife so much but she is/was a highly educated/"intelligent" lawyer). My take-away is that intelligence doesn't so much matter, people believe what they want to be comfortable and accepted in the greater society and here in the USofA that means BAU will just keep getting better (Elon Musk says so - and we get to go to Mars too :laugh:) and will go on forever.
I myself am a depressed Rationalist.
AJ

I myself am neither depressed nor angry.  One advantage I have is I don't have a Wife who can't see the writing on the wall.  :icon_sunny:  Another is I have no kids to worry about their future.  Finally, I am likely to die before things get really bad, and if they do get really bad before I buy my Ticket to the Great Beyond that will kill me in one way or the other and put me out of my misery.

Probably the best way to describe my state of mind is as bemused.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 14, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/emergency/plan-for-an-emergency/heatwave/
Its coming. Lack of belief wont stop it.
How does the saying go.... You can ignore reality for as long as you like. You cant ignore theconsequences of ignoring reality.

I am in the angry and motivated to do something stage.
RE is in denial: He says he is bemused but his actions of running this website is actually doing more than I can to prepare and motivate others. A very positive denial, but denial non the less!

You should be proad of this web site RE. Its helping lots. I owe you a debt of gratitude. This site and resulting conversations, information and essays I have read and written have helped me a lot and will continue to help for a while to come.

AJ: Dont listen to those pesky interventionists. Alcohol is definately the answers! Come full on Mad Max I plan to run drugs and alcohol production to service the masses not coping. (I will be one of them!) Just like the bullit farmer, but with booze....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZllnptrzKOQ

JOW

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 15, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-16/dire-predictions-for-future-kimberley-heatwaves-climate-change/11793470

Feeling hot hot hot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGBXhDZXTqY

We are going to burn in the end one way or another!

JOW

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 15, 2019, 11:35:00 PM »
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/heatwave-could-bring-bushfires-and-topple-hottest-day-records-20191216-p53kgt.html
We are getting ready.
Still quiet in Vic. This site goes beserk when the SHTF.
http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#

Queensland beautiful one day fucking hot the next:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-16/brisbane-heat-bom-tips-broken-record-as-queensland-swelters/11801870

NSW still out of control:
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2019/12/16/backburning-mega-fire-gospers/

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 16, 2019, 12:23:40 AM »
NSW still out of control:
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2019/12/16/backburning-mega-fire-gospers/

That's where I lived!  NW of Sydney!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
☃️ Deadly winter weather threaten millions in U.S.
« Reply #850 on: December 16, 2019, 05:41:38 AM »
This one is hitting where I lived in MO.  Wonder how my sister is doing?  :icon_scratch:

My Tombstone must be snow covered at the momentl  :(

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNtHUf388cg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wNtHUf388cg</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌪️ Tornado Outbreak in Deep South - LIVE TORNADO COVERAGE
« Reply #851 on: December 17, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v9jURFtzrbA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/v9jURFtzrbA</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 24, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
Ding ding! Round 2 about to begin.
https://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/extreme-heat-to-bake-nation-s-south-east-as-hot-air-mass-shifts-east-20191224-p53mog.html

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
❄️ Whiteout conditions to blanket the Plains, Midwest as whipping blizzard
« Reply #853 on: December 27, 2019, 02:54:44 AM »
School's OUT!  Let's go SLEDDING!  :icon_sunny:

RE

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/winter-storm-to-bring-heavy-snow-near-blizzard-conditions-to-the-plains-midwest/651346

Special Weather Statement in effect until 5:45 AM AKST. Source: U.S. National Weather Service
Whiteout conditions to blanket the Plains, Midwest as whipping blizzard conditions bring heavy snow

By Brandon Buckingham, AccuWeather Meteorologist
Updated dec. 26, 2019 10:49 AM

The weather in Mattawan, Michigan, had some questioning if it was really Christmas. Many people went out for walks, and kayaking while taking in the unseasonable warmth.

A potentially major winter storm will take aim at the nation's midsection this weekend and into early next week, bringing the threat for whiteout conditions and up to two feet of snow over portions of the Plains.

The same storm system first brought travel nightmares to Southern California on Wednesday night.

As the storm system begins to turn northeastward by Friday afternoon, a wintry mixture of ice, sleet and snow will develop across portions of Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska. Farther southeast, drought-busting rain and locally gusty thunderstorms will target the southern Plains and mid-Mississippi Valley.

As colder air filters southward from Canada, snow will begin to spread across the Plains Friday night. Portions of interstates 76, 80 and 90 in Colorado, Nebraska and South Dakota will likely experience accumulating snowfall overnight Friday.

The storm system will continue to intensify as it expands northward into the Midwest by Saturday. A steady snow and increasingly gusty winds will be felt for places like North Platte, Nebraska, and Aberdeen, South Dakota.

Blizzard conditions could be in store for portions of Nebraska thanks to a cold northerly wind that may strengthen the system. The eastern Dakotas and extreme western Minnesota would also be impacted

Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a storm which contains large amounts of snow or blowing snow, with winds in excess of 35 mph and visibilities of less than a quarter of a mile for at least three hours.

Related:
Post-Christmas travelers could run into rain, snow for the drive home late this week
Cross-country storm to deliver snow, rain to Northeast ahead of New Year’s
‘Ring of fire’ solar eclipse to darken sky over India, Philippines Thursday

The storm system will continue to bring heavy snow and gusty winds, leading to whiteout conditions across the Plains and northern Midwest on Sunday. These conditions could be realized in places like Fargo, North Dakota, for much of the day.

Meanwhile, on the warmer side of the storm, much of the western Great Lakes can expect rain rather than snow on Sunday. In portions of Wisconsin and northern Michigan where there is still snow on the ground, this storm system could bring the threat for some stream and river flooding.

The storm system will gradually shift over the western Great Lakes by Monday. As it does so, colder air will filter in, allowing the rain to transition over to snow. The steadiest snow will begin to taper off across the Plains on Monday, leaving double-digit snowfall totals in its wake.

Along with the threat for rain and heavy snow across the Midwest, there will likely be a corridor across the center of the country where the storm system will produce an icy mix this weekend.

Portions of Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan will face this threat. While snowfall totals are expected to be lower across this corridor, the effects of accumulating ice can be just as bad.

While the bulk of the wintery weather will begin to wind down on Monday, it is possible some lingering snow showers hang on across the Midwest into Tuesday as the storm system finally begins to exit the region.

As the storm exits, it is possible that lake-effect snow picks up downwind of lakes Superior and Michigan into the middle of next week.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 31, 2019, 02:29:42 AM »
Lots of hot weather and not much rain.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-31/north-west-victoria-record-low-rainfall/11834496

JOW