AuthorTopic: Why are Native American women vanishing? And who’s looking for them?  (Read 324 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
September 5, 2018

Native American women and girls — no one knows exactly how many — go missing and are never found, or are found dead. One U.S. senator calls this a decades-old epidemic, linked to inadequate resources, outright indifference and a confusing jurisdictional maze.
By

SHARON COHEN
AP National Writer

VALIER, Mont. — The searchers rummage through the abandoned trailer, flipping over a battered couch, unfurling a stained sheet, looking for clues. It’s blistering hot and a grizzly bear lurking in the brush unleashes a menacing growl. But they can’t stop.

Not when a loved one is still missing.

The group moves outside into knee-deep weeds, checking out a rusted garbage can, an old washing machine — and a surprise: bones.

Ashley HeavyRunner Loring, a 20-year-old member of the Blackfeet Nation, was last heard from around June 8, 2017. Since then her older sister, Kimberly, has been looking for her.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/why-are-native-american-women-vanishing-and-whos-looking-for-them/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Why are Native American women vanishing? And who’s looking for them?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 12:04:11 PM »
September 5, 2018

Native American women and girls — no one knows exactly how many — go missing and are never found, or are found dead. One U.S. senator calls this a decades-old epidemic, linked to inadequate resources, outright indifference and a confusing jurisdictional maze.
By

SHARON COHEN
AP National Writer

VALIER, Mont. — The searchers rummage through the abandoned trailer, flipping over a battered couch, unfurling a stained sheet, looking for clues. It’s blistering hot and a grizzly bear lurking in the brush unleashes a menacing growl. But they can’t stop.

Not when a loved one is still missing.

The group moves outside into knee-deep weeds, checking out a rusted garbage can, an old washing machine — and a surprise: bones.

Ashley HeavyRunner Loring, a 20-year-old member of the Blackfeet Nation, was last heard from around June 8, 2017. Since then her older sister, Kimberly, has been looking for her.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/why-are-native-american-women-vanishing-and-whos-looking-for-them/

Telling that the article says her sister had been looking for her. No mention of police.

I once related here the true story of how my son found a human skull in a turn-out in the high desert in in New Mexico, when we stopped to take a piss on a family trip . I always wondered if the police even checked, after we called them. I touched the skull and therefore it had my fingerprints on it, which should have been screened. They weren't.

Some of them are victims of violence at the hands of people who knew them well. Of that I have no doubt. Others are probably OD's who are hidden by their scared fellow druggies. Nobody much cares about those girls. That's the problem.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Why are Native American women vanishing? And who’s looking for them?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »
As you well know, it's a big desert out here in the west.

We can hide anything imaginable.

No clothes left behind, blood, nothing. Poofness !

Makes you wonder.

The native women I see here in my town are quiet peaceful stay to themselves, souls.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind