AuthorTopic: Building a Doomstead  (Read 430 times)

Offline Meshami

• Rookie
  • Dishwasher
    • View Profile
Building a Doomstead
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »
Hello fellow Kollapsniks!   ;D

What a wonderful forum of like minded peeps.  Glad to meet you all.

In the process of putting together a doomstead, will be reading and learning as much as I can from you all.  At the moment we have just under 6 acres of unwanted land about 10 miles outside of a not so big city in a crappy part of Oklahoma no one will want to take over.  Will be buggin in for what I see will be collapse from so many angles, will be a not fun ride, for sure. 

Don't have much money at all, so doing everything on the cheap.  What I have so far in my favor is a water well that's tapped into that huge aquifer in mid-America, though the pump runs on electric.  The land was inherited, so it's ours, cheap taxes per year, like $100.  Has some trees and hills, and it's at the back end of land off a county road that will be hard to spot, even coming down the road, unless you know where to go.  Place didn't have a house, but we managed to find a free small mobile home, in process of getting it moved this week.  Needs a bit of work, but doable, and smaller so it's easier to heat/cool.  Place we are putting it will be taking advantage of what passive/solar gains we can get, long front side facing south, lots of bush and trees blocking the north.  No mortgage, huge benefit.  Why?  Cause future money that was going to rent/mortgage can go into developing where we are to make it more sustainable.  Will be grid-tied for a while until we can afford to go solar/wind.  Let's face it, Oklahoma has a shit pot of wind, should tap in to that while we can.  Also in Oklahoma is tornadoes, so one of my first goals is to set up a root cellar for tornado hiding and food storage.  We may eventually consider going underground housing, but have to get out there, first.  The cheap trailer is our way of doing this.

The soil hasn't been touched in over 30 years, so it hasn't been over used, will be gardening as soon as possible.  There's lots of wild game around, as well, lots of deer, turkey and quail that I know of.  The hubby has considered putting in a small fish pond in the future, as well. 

Pretty much I am collapsing now, purposely living out in the sticks in a cheap ass trailer to save on monthly expenses.  Economic collapse looks like it's just around the corner.  As it is, my hubby is the only one working, but with these changes even his small single income is plenty for us, my goal is to maintain this lower standard of living.  I'm in school and graduate in May, though, so will go up.  Maybe?  I'm not holding my breath jobs will be out there when I'm done.  We are older, so no kids at home, but should the two of them and their families need it, we will have space for them. 

Right now I'm exploring different ideas for being able to bug in on the land we got.  Will be looking forward to learning things from you guys.  *waves*

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Doomstead
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
Best of luck. Glad you dropped in. Keep us posted on how it's going.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Sounds like a worthy endeavor.

Any pics ?
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
:hi:

You'll get a lot of good tips for Doomsteading on the cheap from C5.  He's a World Class Expert at this.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
Welcome to the party... I have a friend who says "Collapse now and avoid the rush". I'm sure RE will tell me who said that first. Building a 'stead that you actually live on and rely on is always the best plan. Practice and build up the skills now you will need later. Money in remote areas is always harder to make but expenses are much lower. Read C5's postings and visit his site for the right mindset.
Enjoy!
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
Welcome to the party... I have a friend who says "Collapse now and avoid the rush". I'm sure RE will tell me who said that first. Building a 'stead that you actually live on and rely on is always the best plan. Practice and build up the skills now you will need later. Money in remote areas is always harder to make but expenses are much lower. Read C5's postings and visit his site for the right mindset.
Enjoy!

Mr. Wizard JMG sometimes gets credit for this, because he wrote a book with this title.  However, the "avoid the rush" meme has been around for quite some time and Kollapsniks have been using it since I have been discussing the issues.  I doubt you could pinpoint who used it first.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
He probably got it from JMG then... Have you even compiled a glossary of terms former sites and author abbreviations? You old timers talk in shorthand about all sorts of authors and sites that would be good to have as reference. Its impossible to search an abbreviation.
Just a thought.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
He probably got it from JMG then... Have you even compiled a glossary of terms former sites and author abbreviations? You old timers talk in shorthand about all sorts of authors and sites that would be good to have as reference. Its impossible to search an abbreviation.
Just a thought.

I have a Glossary of Acronyms I use fairly often, but many are exclusively Diner acronyms and I make up new ones all the time.  So I haven't kept up with it much.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,2144.0.html

Mainly, you either gotta figure it out for yourself or ask me WTF I am talking about. lol.  JMG is John Michael Greer.  JHK is James Howard Kunstler.  Like Assassins, many Collapse Pundits use their middle name.  I probably should add a middle name, then I would be more successful!  I think "Jackass" is a good one!  Reverse Jackass Engineer, RJE.  :icon_sunny:

RJE

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Meshami

• Rookie
  • Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:25 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.   :emthup:

Who is this C5 person, I need to pick their brain, haha.  :)  Will be searching their posts here shortly.

I do believe I stumbled upon JMG and was where I heard the term "collapse now and avoid the rush".  This was from a search after I watched that darn documentary "Collapse".  Yeah, totally took the red pill on that one.  That documentary pretty much solidified what that gnawing feeling was I had creeping up on me over the years, things just aren't right.  At all.  I knew something was up, didn't know what it was. 

Pictures, pictures..  lemme see if I can upload the raw land we are working with.  Here goes:

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »

You'll get a lot of good tips for Doomsteading on the cheap from C5.  He's a World Class Expert at this.

RE

Enjoy!

Hi and welcome. C5, here. I guess my ears must have been burning.

Thanks, everyone for the show of support. Of course every time someone refers to me as an "expert" in anything, the angel on my shoulder starts rapping Public Enemy. Don't Believe the Hype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwBmStwK2w

I have been incognito, mentally obsessing over my collapsible wind tower. Its now officially up... but there is still about a third left of the job

"Collapse now and avoid the rush" is a damned fine life motto.

Always try to enjoy the honeymoon phase of doomsteading and dont get discouraged when you find out just how hard it is. "Collapsing now" is the perfect way to figure out everything that  no body told you about, while having a lower chance of dying during the learning curve. :icon_scratch:

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.   :emthup:

Who is this C5 person, I need to pick their brain, haha.  :)  Will be searching their posts here shortly.

I do believe I stumbled upon JMG and was where I heard the term "collapse now and avoid the rush".  This was from a search after I watched that darn documentary "Collapse".  Yeah, totally took the red pill on that one.  That documentary pretty much solidified what that gnawing feeling was I had creeping up on me over the years, things just aren't right.  At all.  I knew something was up, didn't know what it was. 

Pictures, pictures..  lemme see if I can upload the raw land we are working with.  Here goes:

That pic blew up nice.
Place looks very serene  :emthup:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »

RE

Enjoy!

Thanks, everyone for the show of support. Of course every time someone refers to me as an "expert" in anything, the angel on my shoulder starts rapping Public Enemy. Don't Believe the Hype.

I have been incognito, mentally obsessing over my collapsible wind tower. Its now officially up... but there is still about a third left of the job

Always try to enjoy the honeymoon phase of doomsteading and dont get discouraged when you find out just how hard it is. "Collapsing now" is the perfect way to figure out everything that  no body told you about, while having a lower chance of dying during the learning curve. :icon_scratch:
I hope during your meditative exile you are documenting that tower build. I for one am very interested. We do the guy lined towers for people but they are really expensive when all is said and done. Any idea what turbine you are going to mount on it yet?

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »

RE

Enjoy!

https://neonnettle.com/features/1514-elites-already-know-when-collapse-of-society-is-coming-and-are-prepping-now

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
Enjoy!

Mr. Wizard JMG sometimes gets credit for this, because he wrote a book with this title.  However, the "avoid the rush" meme has been around for quite some time and Kollapsniks have been using it since I have been discussing the issues.  I doubt you could pinpoint who used it first.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oADlQPJ_Zfc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oADlQPJ_Zfc&fs=1</a>

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
I sure hope you take some pics, C5.

I've been figuring out how to build a tower for a long time. But with 9 mph average wind it isn't my highest priority. I also hate to farm it out. I'm a strict DIY guy.

I think I need a 40 footer, which would not be easy to erect by myself. But I have a high bluff, and I think in the winter I might get some good out of my Mallard, but it sits in a closet for now. Another experiment I might or might not complete. I hope I do though.

You're using ROHN 25, yes?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.