AuthorTopic: The Doom Loop  (Read 566 times)

The Doom Loop
« on: September 12, 2018, 02:05:36 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of Category5

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on Dark Green Mountain Project on August 26, 2018

Discuss this article at the Doomsteading Table inside the Diner

Just a time sensitive quicky today  A few articles showed up that were worth reading… if only to show how far we have gotten into The Doom Loop.

Its chilly out there this morning. Sort of a premature fall. Its sort of nice after that blistering heat wave. There lies the problem. The sigh of relief and subconscious desire for things to return to normal. A time to forget. A return to slumber. To apathy.

Its chilly because smoke from the west coast made it all the way to the east coast, a rather large continent away.

… But before I get there. A special hello and welcome to anyone trickling in from Peak Oil News  https://peakoil.com/. They posted my last article. People seem to like my rants more than my survival advice. I noticed my article was shoe horned in between Ugo Bardi at Cassandra’s Legacy and John Michael Greer. That was flattering. I guess I am now sitting at the grown ups table.

The real reason for this article was just to re-post another article which was definitely the best read of the month. -When I woke up this week, the sun was blocked out by smoke.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-08-22/when-i-woke-up-this-week-the-sun-was-blocked-out-by-smoke/

Now, both MrsC5 and myself have been much more depressed than usual, this summer. I realize it had a lot to do with the heat. A weakened body leads to a weakened mind. Less resilience. No used getting into that here. But alot of where our minds were going to, is just how awful humans are. The shear, Evily Evil Evilness of 7.65 billion people and growing, being evil. The planet used to be able to absorb our evil. Not any more. Ugo Bardi pointed out a quote by Gandhi,

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.”

Ugo then points out the problem with this thinking is that, back when Gandhi said this, the world only had 2.5 billion people in it. That was before we entered the doom loop.

Its not the super villain, Jeffrey Dahmer, Trump, type of evil that gets to me. Its the banality of human evil. The mom and pop, middle class, soccer mom evil. The little compromises and purchases and shortcuts and genocides happening somewhere else and intentional blindness. Little evils… with 2% compounding interest.  That is the real evil. We don’t see it because we don’t want to see it, and we tell ourselves little narratives to justify why we are not really evil. Its other people. Where the story really picks up though is when supper villain meets soccer mom.

Which leads to the number two read. -Why is it so easy to deceive people?

https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2018/08/why-is-it-so-easy-to-deceive-people.html

( My answer. Because they want to be deceived to avoid all that uncomfortable introspection. He shows you the how. I tell you the why )

The good news is that all that heat and now smoke has been shaking more of the soccer mom evil types of people. The subject of hothouse earth, feedback doom loops, finally went mainstream media news over the last few months.

Soooo. Lets do a subject jump. Another banality of evil… with two percent compounding interest…

Preppers have been getting on my nerves lately. Don’t get me wrong. People have been calling me “Super Prepper” lately. Its the weird obsessive compulsive fantasies that they secretly hope for to justify their banal evilyness… like “Martial Law is coming” or “Collapse is coming”. Like man made climate chaos, they have trouble seeing that it is already here and they just got used to it. Its just not nearly as exiting as the movies.

The more paranoia inclined, less mentally stable, drone on and on about secret FEMA camps.   FEMA camps are actually real. They are called “PRISONS”. And they are generally filled with poor people. Cough…

So, here is your next very insightful read. -Battle Field America

https://www.rutherford.org/publications_resources/john_whiteheads_commentary/battlefield_america_the_ongoing_war_on_the_american_people

Now, I live in cana’duh. I wont even visit the States anymore. Won’t even do a plane change there. I’m done with them. Far too Sketch.

But it has been on my mind since seeing the Mounties got their assault rifles. Now they have high capacity magazines proudly on display on their ever increasing tactical vests. Disgusting. I recognize an occupational army/ organized crime group, when I see one. I don’t want to hear about the dangerous job they do. Statistically, its a far safer job than any of the jobs I have done. You are far more likely to die in any labor related job. Most cop deaths are from driving accidents, health or suicides. But its the cult like brainwashing and the shear banality of evil that makes this particularly dangerous. As I age, its the groomed, fresh, pimply faces behind all that tactical gear that spires my mind towards hitler youth posters.

Soooo…. if you really want to be scared about something, mix that last article with this article…

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2018/08/17/fascist-activists-spent-last-year-trying-win-police/

The depressing thing is that I have always known that was coming since my pre teen years. I’m not surprised. Its matching my timeline. Sucks to be right all the time. There is no mystery to life anymore.

On a personal note, I saw this future in a fever dream. In it, I was an old man, beyond warrior years to resist. I was forced to serve these fuckers. It stuck with me. With that said, Metalica comes to DJ-C5s mind.

For everyone’s information, if you ever wonder what I was going to do with the donations from this page and how I would use it for future experiments, You Readers gave enough to purchase this small motor.

donation

And this small upgrade that comes from Australia. Pull the pins and it works like a regular bike again, albeit a much heavier bike.

donation 2

1 liter should get 100 kms. That is the point. It gives new meaning to the idea of being a 1% motorcycle club

Here is the reasoning. Our nearest grocery store is about 50Km away. That means a liter should get us there and back. Gas is about 1.25$ a liter at the moment. So we can do a supply run for 1.25. As the economy breaks down and people can no longer afford the costs associated with a vehicle, we are trying to figure out if this will be helpful. And if gas supplies are promptly shut off, a 20ltr gas can from my fuel storage, might provide 20 supply trips into town…. or 20 commutes to a low paying job.

I will do a full article once it has had some hard work under its belt to judge whether it is practical for actual work. I have to work it hard for months before giving my thoughts on it. I set the rest of the bike up for grocery\cargo hauling. I call this rear set up “The poor mans long tail”. That is part of what this is about. The engine and upgraded parts cost less than 300$ canadian. This will be a Part Two of this article from South America.

https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/c5-survival-advice-part-4-on-motorised-bicycles-from-south-america/

Now, this is MrsC5’s experiment of the year. She got her HEMP growing license this year.

hemp

I was not impressed with this idea. See the article on militarized police. My experience with cops… is incompetence (I am being very generous there. I see the world bottom up) . To avoid me or my dog getting shot because “I was resisting” or they “Felt their life was in danger”, first job of the year had me dangerously climbing on the roof of the barn and painting the permit number in REALLY BIG FUCKING LETTERS and then hanging a copy on the door. By the way, you would have to smoke a telephone pole of that to get high.

Speaking of which, Canada has now ended pot prohibition. You can now buy it at the government liquor store. Thank gods that evily evil clusterfuck is finally over. Its one of the only reasons that could get me to stand to sing Oh Canada. Still, don’t be fooled. As I predicted, It was not legalized. It was corporatized. This does nothing to help poor, small, mom and pop farmers in rural communities. The profits go to the 1% instead of 1% motorcycle gangs. That”s all.

So, that was a small test plot for MrsC5 to experiment with fiber. I lost my reticence once I saw the chickens go parahna over those fat filled seeds. I may have finally found an easy to grow source of chicken feed. Now I just have to figure out a how to harvest it.

You can also see we screwed up the test plot. It grew so successfully that it was choking itself out. We have to hand cast much  lighter so they have less competition. We now have to harvest this week because the chickens, in feeding frenzy mode, are getting over the fence to pull down the stalks to get to the seeds. Its all part of getting over the learning curve.

Speaking of which, we finally had some corn success… using the Three Sisters method. Corn, beans and squash together. (Beans grow up the corn. Corn moderates temperature by providing shade. Squash shades out weeds and slows soil moisture evaporation)

3 sis

We put it where the pigs used to be. It needed the fertilizer. What that means is, SHTF, if you don’t have animals for fertilizer, forget all about corn. Its a heavy feeder.

Further thoughts on the disaster of this years weather. All plants, wild or planted, are looking rough this year. New diseases have swept through that we haven’t had to deal with before. Stressed plants are more susceptible to disease. Healthy plant would be able to fight those infections off. That is the short form. There were secondary knock off, unanticipated problems as well. We got very few sour cherries this year and lost them all. The birds took them because they were starving. The wild service berry trees didn’t produce and that is the heavier fruit they would prefer. I also cant believe I would ever complain about the lack of bugs here. But less bugs means less pollination and less birds. There was alot of strange birds I hadn’t seen before, here in the spring. They aint here now.

One last photo. We finally got the windmill base cemented in a couple of days ago. Not much to see but I will fill in the blanks.

windapult

Its for the base of what I am calling a Windapult until I come up with a better name. From the mind of C5. The future tower should go up into place like a catapult. There will be a counter weight. I want me to be able to take the entire windmill down in a storm, by hand, without a tractor or mechanical assistance. We have wicked winds here. I have a Friend that lost his during a hurricane.  Another, where this blades just shattered when it spun apart. An ice storm is also a destroyer of wind engines because the blades go off balance and destroy internal parts. Plus, I want to be able to easily take the turbine down  for maintenance or repair. I’l ad a second base to act as a catchers mit so if the tower lines break in a storm and it comes down, that the turbine wont smash on the ground. As a bonus, the tower parts are from recycled material since we cant afford a commercial made tower. I was given an impossible task… but that is what I do. It’s all I do.

Mythos, and someone new to the crew, I will just call Jesus, came over to help me mix concrete by hand for the first time. It was quality boy time… with beer. Practical social male bonding. We work well as a team and I have sort of finally founds a group of equals. I’ll continue the man party next week, over at Mythos place because he needs help with mixing large quantities of Cob mix (Article to follow) and the week after that over at Jesus’s  Mini home build.(He looks nothing like jesus)

I bring this up because Jesus recounted a story of him talking with the boys at work in the warehouse where he lifts heavy objects. When asked what he was doing this weekend, he said he was exited about helping on a wind tower build because he had no experience in that and wanted to learn. On Que, the corn poned  worker of the group ranted, “What. Why are you doing that hippy shit”.

And those words stuck in both myself and MrsC5. It keeps rolling around in our heads. A psychic assault. A reminder of those 4 article I re-posted above.

The shear banality of evil.

I don’t talk about it on this blog, but there is a reason MrsC5 and myself are armed to the fucking tits. It’s because we know, when we do the right actions and adaptations, others that have not will project their weakness outward and that banal, shear Evily Evil Evilness will , instinctively, want… Need…. to stomp it out.

Lets end this with one last practical prepping update. My living fence is doing very well. https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2018/04/18/c5-says-build-me-a-wall-permaculture-style/     Root taking is at least a 95% success rate. I did learn some stuff though. I had some failures in other parts of the property. The big mistake was the smaller cuttings I put in. They grew just fine. Then the deer said, “Thanks for the fresh browsing greens”. Deer keep forests at bay by eating fresh shoots more than grass. We have plenty of self seeded fruit trees around the property that may be decades old but never get past knee high. Some day I will put fences around them so they can get past browsing height. Same goes with the willow. We learned that when we do season two of willow planting, all willow spikes must be taller than deer head browsing height. Lesson learned for next springs continuation of the job to surround the house and get old watching my palisade grow.

willow growth

So much for this being a quick article. I’ve been at this all day. I better get out there and do something. I think I will begin harvesting the hemp seeds before the chickens get it all.

If all of this gets you down, tomorrow we have to do this with one of our hens that we noticed was on the edge of death and needed rescue. BTW, 12 chicks born this year. Culling to follow.

If you would like to give a Tip for writing services rendered or to support the cause, go to the top of the page and hit, “Giving just the Tip”.  All “Tips” go towards material costs for future experiments.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Doom Loop
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:31:34 AM »
Actually, the type of device you appear to be describing with a counterweight is a Trebuchet, not a Catapult.  I built one with my students to fire off Water Balloons in the gym parking lot at the carz.  :icon_mrgreen:  Sadly  :( I can't locate the video.  So here is a real Trebuchet in action launching a car, a piano and an incendiary drum.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JQLYHt-DM0Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JQLYHt-DM0Q</a>

How about "Winduchet" for a name?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 03:32:05 AM »
Actually, the type of device you appear to be describing with a counterweight is a Trebuchet, not a Catapult.  I built one with my students to fire off Water Balloons in the gym parking lot at the carz.  :icon_mrgreen:  Sadly  :( I can't locate the video.  So here is a real Trebuchet in action launching a car, a piano and an incendiary drum.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JQLYHt-DM0Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JQLYHt-DM0Q</a>

How about "Winduchet" for a name?

RE

Some very Monty Python shit right here.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 05:26:22 AM »
Yes. I knew it was a trebuchet but I was dumbing  it down.... since saying trebuchet to a few people and seeing them with that blank look.

But I will defiantly use this one in my "C5 builds a wind tower"    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8jGqdE2iw

I usually save that one for any time I mention the American Militia Movement.   "Run Away!"

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »
I was wondering if you are grounding that base. It might be overkill, since you plan to lower the turbine in storms, but it's an easy thing to do before you pour the concrete. Could still be done anyway.

I'd ask David if they ground their towers. If he happens to read this, I hope he can talk about that, and about lightning arrestors.

I have looked at grounding solar arrays. There is some disagreement on exactly how to do this, but it's something you do have to do.

I have a giant transmission line in my back yard, and was considering the dangers of a fallen line on an array if i ever built one in the easement (which probably isn't allowed anyway). Different subject, but a good ground might save an expensive turbine in certain circumstances.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »
Why yew doin' that hippy shit, bro? Git a job in a growth industry. They're payin' good in Mordor.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:35:26 AM »
Yes. I knew it was a trebuchet but I was dumbing  it down.... since saying trebuchet to a few people and seeing them with that blank look.

But I will defiantly use this one in my "C5 builds a wind tower"    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8jGqdE2iw

I usually save that one for any time I mention the American Militia Movement.   "Run Away!"

You don't have to Dumb Down Doom for Diners.  We are well educated Doomers!  Like Doc Holiday and Johnny Ringo, we even Do Doom in Latin. :icon_mrgreen:

Nisi Quantum Potes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CwEIkXMfL1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CwEIkXMfL1E</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

Canadian armed to the teeth.

(Just kiddin'.... ;D. Obviously EVERYBODY here is armed to the teeth.....and I know your preps are the real and effective variety. Mine too, although I haven't written much about that lately.)

I have a pair of those Mountie dress gloves in the saddlebags of my motorcycle, btw. Pretty good for wind, but they aren't lined. Hard to find the gauntlet style anymore.

I not only abhor cold water, I don't much like cold wind up my sleeves, either.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »

You don't have to Dumb Down Doom for Diners.  We are well educated Doomers!  Like Doc Holiday and Johnny Ringo, we even Do Doom in Latin. :icon_mrgreen:

Nisi Quantum Potes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CwEIkXMfL1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CwEIkXMfL1E</a>

RE

Semper ubi sub ubi

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »

Canadian armed to the teeth.

(Just kiddin'.... ;D. Obviously EVERYBODY here is armed to the teeth.....and I know your preps are the real and effective variety. Mine too, although I haven't written much about that lately.)

I have a pair of those Mountie dress gloves in the saddlebags of my motorcycle, btw. Pretty good for wind, but they aren't lined. Hard to find the gauntlet style anymore.

I not only abhor cold water, I don't much like cold wind up my sleeves, either.

I forgot to show you my Red Fox Fur Musher's Mittens when you were here.  :(  Make those Mounty Gauntlets look like driving gloves. The ones below are Coyote Fur.  On mine they are bigger, come all the way up to the elbow.  I also have a pair in Rabbit Fur that match my Rabbit Fur hat.  :icon_sunny:  I did a lot of privates to get those two sets of gloves.  In one of my videos I am wearing them, you have to search it down though.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
Nice!

You should have brought them in the RV, obviously.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »
Nice!

You should have brought them in the RV, obviously.

I wanna get a pair of matching Mukluks for the Rabbit Fur Hat & Mittens, but I don't see that trapper anymore and the furrier wants $600 for them in rabbit.  Forget the Red Fox, no furrier carries it here, you only can get it if you know a trapper.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »

Nisi Quantum Potes

RE

Semper ubi sub ubi

Illegitimi non carborundum.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
Julius Caesar walks into a bar.

"Bartender! Give me a martinus!"

"Sorry sir", replies the bartender. "Do you mean you want a martini?"

"If I'd wanted a double, I'd have ordered one."