AuthorTopic: The Doom Loop  (Read 1538 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🌬️ Deepwater Wind bought for $510 million
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 02:07:24 AM »
All you have to do C5 is sell the Windapult to these folks.  You'll be RICH!🤑 (Get a Patent!)

All you need to do is put up 5 Windapults Offshore and you're worth half a Billion!

RE

Deepwater Wind bought for $510 million

By Alex Kuffner
Journal Staff Writer
Posted at 10:12 AM Updated Oct 8, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Orsted, the Danish company that is the world’s largest offshore wind developer, has agreed to pay $510 million to buy Rhode Island-based Deepwater Wind, the company that two years ago built the first offshore wind farm in the United States, a five-turbine array near Block Island.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Orsted, the Danish company that is the world’s largest offshore wind developer, has agreed to pay $510 million to buy Rhode Island-based Deepwater Wind, the company that two years ago built the first offshore wind farm in the United States, a five-turbine array near Block Island.

The acquisition, which was announced Monday and will be finalized in the coming months, will result in the creation of Orsted U.S. Offshore Wind, a new company that will have more than 8,000 megawatts in development in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware and Virginia.

Deepwater’s Providence headquarters will remain open under the agreement, with all of its staff in place, including chief executive officer Jeffrey Grybowski, who will become co-CEO of the new company alongside Thomas Brostrom, who currently heads up Orsted’s U.S. operations out of Boston.

The deal comes just months after Orsted’s Bay State Wind project lost out on a chance to negotiate long-term contracts to sell power to utilities in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Securing a power purchase contract is critical to development because it guarantees decades of revenue and can be used to attract financing.
Related content
Researchers studying seafloor at offshore wind site
August 13, 2018
Deepwater Wind ramps up work on 3 more wind farms
July 17, 2018
Connecticut to buy offshore wind power from Deepwater Wind
June 14, 2018

While the rival Vineyard Wind project, a venture backed by another Danish concern, won the bidding process in Massachusetts last spring, Deepwater’s Revolution Wind proposal was selected at the same time by Rhode Island. The Deepwater project has won separate competitive bidding processes in Connecticut and Long Island, helping to cement its position as the leading offshore wind company in the United States.

Orsted agreed to buy Deepwater from D.E. Shaw, a New York investment firm that has owned the Providence company from its beginnings more than a decade ago and through construction of the Block Island Wind Farm, the 30-megawatt project that went into operation in 2016 and is still the only offshore wind farm in the United States.

Grybowski said in an interview that Deepwater had been exploring partnerships or acquisitions as competition in the offshore wind market has increased in the United States, with a host of developers, many with international backing, stepping forward with proposals. While he said that the company had considered other offers, the deal with Orsted, reached over the past several months, made the most sense as it moves to expand its ambitions up and down the East Coast and elsewhere in the United States.

“This is the right partnership for Deepwater to help us go to the next stage for our projects and the vision that we laid out a number of years ago,” he said. “We weren’t just going to partner with anyone. We couldn’t think of a better combination than partnering with Orsted.”

Orsted built the world’s first offshore wind farm in 1991 in Denmark and now has 24 projects in operation, totaling 5,100 megawatts, more than any other company. Although the techniques to build wind farms are the same in the United States as in Europe, permitting is different. Brostrom said that the acquisition brings together Orsted’s construction expertise with Deepwater’s knowledge of the U.S. market, which, despite state and federal programs to push forward development and a drop in the price of offshore wind has had to navigate opposition.

“It’s new here, so there’s always been a little bit more skepticism,” he said. “The local stakeholders are different. They need to get more comfortable with offshore wind. In that regard, it’s different.”

The agreement, Brostrom said, will not affect the Bay State Wind project, which is proposed in an area of federal waters between Block Island and Martha’s Vineyard. The Revolution project, located in the same general area, also will not change, nor will Deepwater’s other proposals, Grybowski said.

“We are moving forward on all of them as planned,” he said. “After closing the transaction, we’ll look at opportunities to make the projects better and obviously bring to bear Orsted’s considerable engineering, procurement and construction expertise. If anything, this combination should solidify people’s confidence in our ability to build these.”

Under the deal, he said that the company’s operations in Rhode Island will expand. In the near term, a chief operating officer will join the Providence office from Orsted.

Grybowski thanked D.E. Shaw for its support. In a statement, Bryan Martin, managing director of D.E. Shaw and chairman of Deepwater, said the new company will “continue to make history.”

Catherine Bowes, the National Wildlife Federation’s wind program director, said the acquisition comes at a pivotal time for the industry.

“We know responsibly developed offshore wind power offers a critical solution to climate change, and the first round of U.S. projects must be sited and built with wildlife in mind,” she said in a statement. “Deepwater Wind’s Block Island Wind Farm set a strong precedent with the development of America’s first offshore turbines, and we look forward to continuing to work with Orsted and all offshore wind companies to advance responsibly developed projects for America.”

akuffner@providencejournal.com / (401) 277-7457
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Windapult now Published on Global Economic Intersection
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 07:36:33 PM »
http://econintersect.com/pages/opinion/opinion.php?post=201810082304

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: The Doom Loop
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 05:27:27 AM »
It lists the author as caregory 5. I thought that was a funny typo...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Windapult now Published on Global Economic Intersection
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 05:29:14 AM »
http://econintersect.com/pages/opinion/opinion.php?post=201810082304

RE
Thanks for the heads up

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 05:35:49 AM »
Ya, Say my name, biatches :evil4:You are gunna here it alot.

By the way, thanks for the info you wrote. I'll go over that again.
Sorry for the slow reply. I usually burn out crash for a few days after an article or a build

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2018, 05:37:58 AM »

That's the Japanese pronunciation.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2018, 06:25:58 AM »
Ya, Say my name, biatches :evil4:You are gunna here it alot.

By the way, thanks for the info you wrote. I'll go over that again.
Sorry for the slow reply. I usually burn out crash for a few days after an article or a build
Understood, I'm an introvert myself and need recharge time. for your setup if you were buying new at full retail it would be either the PWM controller listed above roughly 800-1000 canadian or the midnite solar clipper with a classic 200 MPPT controller roughly 2300-2500 canadian... another 3-500 for all the accessories like 3 way brake switches, breakers, and 3 phase lightning arrestors, wire strain relief harness(usually referred to as a horse cock funny enough). Your site looks flat and I think you are close to the water so probably just the basic PWM controller with built in dump load. We're all trees and hills here hence the more expensive answer. The mistake to not make is to go for the real cheap solenoid based controllers which just turn it on or off. They inject too high voltage into the batteries which is fine if your batteries live discharged but as they top up leads to serious over temperature and shorter life. the whisper can put out upwards of 150 volts on each of the 3 legs so you need good control of it. PWM stands for pulse width modulation so its a fast pulsing switch that monitors the bank and shoots different lengths of full voltage pulses into the batteries to avoid continuous over voltage...
Cheers,  David
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:35:27 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »
I also just noticed Farmgal did me an an article   https://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.com/2018/10/10/a-little-c5-update/

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »
I would like to pick you folks brains.

I had been planning my next years predictions for my holiday post.

The problem is... one of those predictions might not wait till then.

I had planned on throwing in that 2019 is my call for when 2008 Redux ( Longer,Harder and Uncut) happens. I usually mock the "Economic collapse. Oh no, this year for sure types"... but there is an emerging house of cards thing going on. It aint just one issue... and I am making my call and willing to be  made to look silly. I called The Commodities Crash and then the Hurricane spike and The Polar Vortex new normal... so I am feeling pretty good about myself.

Here is the deal though. My spidy sense has been poking me to do a quick blog post to give people a warning and Im not sure I should wait till the holiday post. Now, I am not an economic guy. I have no skin in the game. Not my thing. I'v just got this C5s brain personal algorithm thing going on.

Soooo.... I thought I would ask others opinions....before making a fool of myself

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »

I had planned on throwing in that 2019 is my call for when 2008 Redux ( Longer,Harder and Uncut) happens. I usually mock the "Economic collapse. Oh no, this year for sure types"... but there is an emerging house of cards thing going on. It aint just one issue... and I am making my call and willing to be  made to look silly. I called The Commodities Crash and then the Hurricane spike and The Polar Vortex new normal... so I am feeling pretty good about myself.

Here is the deal though. My spidy sense has been poking me to do a quick blog post to give people a warning and Im not sure I should wait till the holiday post. Now, I am not an economic guy. I have no skin in the game. Not my thing. I'v just got this C5s brain personal algorithm thing going on.

Soooo.... I thought I would ask others opinions....before making a fool of myself
Ask a collection of doomers if collapse is coming?  :o ;D
I do feel something big is in the air. This fall, this winter, next year who knows. Lots of conversations lately about stressed out maxed out acquaintances. I even got a request for a loan from a friend... That has never happened.  Usually centered around housing in cities. Around here everyone but the tourists have been broke for decades! Fall would be the time for ticking time bombs to go off. I would not call it but a gloomy warning about financial caution might hit a few ears and do some good.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »

Don't worry about making a fool of yourself, Kunstler has been doing this for years. lol.

I quit making absolute timeline predictions after going berzerk with the 2008 crash and figuring the Sky would Fall TOMORROW, Chicken Little style.  The sky will fall, but exactly when is a real tough call because there are som many variables and permutations.  Prior to your arival here we had a Diner Palloy who was always predicting a total collapse within months or weeks of his post, usually revolving around a geopoliticalproblem ongoing with the Ruskies or China.

On the other hand, Eddie thinks we have 20 years left here for BAU, long enough for him to finally maybe actually retire with his massive load of debt paid off. lol.  It doesn't matter to me much exactly when anymore, since I will likely be dead before it comes, unless you happen to be right and it comes in 2019.  In which case I get to witness it from this side of the Great Divide, but if it happens later, I'll see it from the Other Side.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
If I had to guess it'll just a be a bad recession this time, with a rebound, perhaps not that robust, but some kind of BAU will go on.

Worst case we have worldwide deflation and a real depression, which WAS avoided in 2008, although at great cost. If unemployment goes way up, it will get really hard for most westerners, particularly those who hold debt. Even though I do hold debt, I am not heavily leveraged. But I do worry, of course.

We have years of increasingly bad climate problems before the crops really fail, which means instant famine. It will come, and my own optimism comes more from knowing I won't likely be around in 2050, than it does from any kind of real hope of change.

We have several more rounds of economic musical chairs left. It's ultimately food and oil output that drive civilization.

Many things are unknown. This thing the Saudis have done, murdering the journalist Kashoggi...that alone threatens everyone on the planet. Seismic shifts in power will not necessarily favor the west.

If the oil still flows cheaply west and westerners do not become 50-75% unemployed, the house of cards will not fall in 2019-2020.

I tend to view this current coming debacle as a buying opportunity for certain things. I have some ideas...not fully developed yet.

Like most doomers, a part of me would love to see JIT fail. I have been prepping for something like that for 8 years, myself.

But I think the US economy is stronger than some doomers think. Healthy, no.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
I just thought I would clarify. Im not calling  economic collapse. I dont see that happening as others picture. I just mean, a repeat of, or the next round, etc. But worse this time.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »

Don't worry about making a fool of yourself, Kunstler has been doing this for years. lol.

I quit making absolute timeline predictions after going berzerk with the 2008 crash and figuring the Sky would Fall TOMORROW, Chicken Little style.  The sky will fall, but exactly when is a real tough call because there are som many variables and permutations.  Prior to your arival here we had a Diner Palloy who was always predicting a total collapse within months or weeks of his post, usually revolving around a geopoliticalproblem ongoing with the Ruskies or China.

On the other hand, Eddie thinks we have 20 years left here for BAU, long enough for him to finally maybe actually retire with his massive load of debt paid off. lol.  It doesn't matter to me much exactly when anymore, since I will likely be dead before it comes, unless you happen to be right and it comes in 2019.  In which case I get to witness it from this side of the Great Divide, but if it happens later, I'll see it from the Other Side.

RE

I do believe I have seen 2019-20 called as 2008 redux by others. Maybe even here. Morris Berman is on that train as well, and thinks the Mother of All Crashes then would happen @ 2025. At least he said so in a recent podcast.

We're all fools here, so grab a beer and pull up a place by the fiat bonfire.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »

RE

I do believe I have seen 2019-20 called as 2008 redux by others. Maybe even here. Morris Berman is on that train as well, and thinks the Mother of All Crashes then would happen @ 2025. At least he said so in a recent podcast.

We're all fools here, so grab a beer and pull up a place by the fiat bonfire.
OK. Now I have had a few beers....

Please keep in mind that I am not an armature in this. I have seen all the panickers before.
I used to scour every article. Now I hover over it like a ghost, looking for ebbs and flows in the data. Rarely will I read an article till I have seen the subject for months in the ebb and flow. I scan titles now. Surly is one of my appreciated clearing houses.

No one reputable is flashing red at the moment.

That lack of red flashing is a part of my general "I think I may have to step up and speak up".

We have all seen people flip out before...because they read a sensational con man and ran with it because of confirmation bias.
Surly's quip about the fiat bonfire, that is just fundamentals. That is enough to freak out newbies "and marks" but not me.

I'm seeing.....I'm not totally sure how to articulate this.....A sturdy bridge with dozens of erosional under footings. Not sure the minor thing that is going to go.

The circus barker in chief is playing "Fake it till you make it"... but the emperors new cloths is about to put his unprotected dick in the fan. The fan wins.

Now back in 2007, we was at the tops of histories great ponsi schemes. Fake wealth for the people patsies. Those people didnt stabilize before part two. No more excess wealth to  absorb the next bounce. You can no longer sell your Harley, boat and mistress to absorb this.

People lost their house and job last time. How much deeper this time when they collectively had less to lose... and it happens at a much lower stress/ happenstance level because there was much less of a distance to fall.

There is no, "Its the derivatives stupid" this time. Its something else. 100 something elses. Stock market crashcorection, smaller oilcrash price rise, trade trust backlash, loss of a psychopath allies off their meds,  Brutus and a dozen knives, taliban celts, picts and germains. Death by 100 cuts at the rocks under that sturdy bridge, crumblin. Dont know what pebble goes.... its all gravel and we got used to gravel

I understand that that cute rant is not helpfull in providing a a good graph chart to show impressive highs or lows....

Its only instinct as to the timing.... which is why I am sort of queezy to put the C5 name brand behind it.

But I am not here to pull a trump and suck myself off. I do this to try and be helpful

That is my dilemma.   If I give advice, I want it to be helpful advice... and i am following instinct this time.

I think I will grab another beer