AuthorTopic: Weeds Growing in Poor Urban Areas More Nutritious Than Grocery Store Produce  (Read 339 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile

Oct 1, 2018

In August, researchers from the University of California, Berkeley published their findings that wild green “weeds” growing in abundance in the poor, urban areas of San Francisco, California contain more nutrition than grocery store produce, even despite the drought in California.

About nine city blocks worth of wild greens were collected from three separate areas by the researchers, led by Philip Stark. The neighborhoods were described as “disadvantaged neighbourhoods surrounded by busy roads and industrial zones.”

According to Cosmos, “The areas, classified as “urban food deserts”, are more than one to one-and-a-half kilometres from the nearest shop that sells fresh produce. Six different species were tested for nutrition content: chickweed (Stellaria media), dandelion (Taraxacum officinale), dock (Rumex crispus), mallow (Malva sylvestris), nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) and oxalis (Oxalis pescaprae). All compared favourably to kale – arguably one of the most nutritious domesticated greens – for several nutrients.”

https://themindunleashed.com/2018/10/weeds-more-nutrition-grocery-store.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
I've had dandelion and chickweed. I have not had the others mentioned maybe warmer weather species? Plantain weed is the other biggy here for lawn foraging. It would not take long for people to exhaust the supply of greens with that level of population density. They are all tasty but an acquired taste. I prefer them steamed myself. Do you think the point of the study was to point of the superior qualities of wild greens or the lack of food options? I'm just trying to figure out their emphasis.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 04:38:38 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
I think the study was supposed to show that poor people living in food deserts in urban ghettos should STFU about not getting any grocery stores in their neighborhood and just eat the weeds until the ground is completely bare......
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
yes that was my take too. unfortunately greens come in at 1 calorie for 2 grams raw so you'd have to come up with 4000 grams, just shy of 9 pounds to get calories for one person for 1 day... That there is a lot of greens so they must only be talking nutrition.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 04:46:13 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Herd migration at it's best. Follow the sun & eat yer' weeds  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
I think the study was supposed to show that poor people living in food deserts in urban ghettos should STFU about not getting any grocery stores in their neighborhood and just eat the weeds until the ground is completely bare......

Jonathan Swift did it first and best in "A Modest Proposal." Swift suggests that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food for rich English gentlemen and ladies. Swift was mocking the heartless attitudes of those days (or for that matter, any day) towards the poor, as well as British policy toward the Irish. Probably the weeds article was not offered as hyperbole, but in terms of its partiality, it might as well be.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile

Jonathan Swift did it first and best in "A Modest Proposal." Swift suggests that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food for rich English gentlemen and ladies. Swift was mocking the heartless attitudes of those days (or for that matter, any day) towards the poor, as well as British policy toward the Irish. Probably the weeds article was not offered as hyperbole, but in terms of its partiality, it might as well be.

This brings to mind the creativity of desert dwellers out here. At this time of year, folks go out & pick up, trim the dead wood in the pinion pine &
cedar forests in the surrounding areas. They sell the picked nuts & firewood at the local swap meets.
Another activity is to pick the prickly pear fruit off the cactus & make jam.

Gathering up dead greasewood branch/brush gives a nice char-coaled flavor to chicken. Folks sell this as well chipped up at the local fairs.