AuthorTopic: Collapse Fireside 🔥 Rant: Potpourri  (Read 214 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Collapse Fireside 🔥 Rant: Potpourri
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:48:12 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on November 25, 2018

Discuss this Rant at the Frostbite Falls Table inside the Diner

Previous Fireside Rants: Compounding Conflagrations of Collapse; Politics 2018

Sunday Brunch has rolled around again, so it's time for another rant. 🙂  This one is a Potpourri of a variety of collapse topics which  hit the newz in the last week.  Covered in this week's edition of the Fireside Rant:

• Conspicuous Consumption

Thanksgiving brings us both conspicuous food consumption and the buying frenzy of Black Friday, now stretched out over a week in the internet era to include "Cyber Monday".  The blowoff top of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization.

• Wildfires

The big fires are now mostly contained, but the last week saw some interesting new developments worth updating on.

• Road system limits

• Prison inmates as firefigthers

• Alcohol related death increases

Apparently people are drinking more and dieing more often from various alcoholism related causes.  Big surprise there in the era of collapse. Roll Eyes   Most notable cause to cover: Sucide.  I do.

• Suicide during collapse

Are you surprised more people commit suicide in a collapsing civilization?  You shouldn't be.

• Less Sex for millenials

In related newz, apparently millenials are having less sex than their counterparts of 20-30 years ago, despite greater acceptance of a variety of sexual practices and orientations and more "hookup" opportunities on the internet. Why?

• Demographic problems of collapse

Less sex, less coupling up, later marriages (if they happen at all) means a decresing population.  Good from the POV of lowering the global Homo Sap population size, not so good from the economic end in a growth based capitalist society.  What are the consequences of this?

• Who will be the Dem POTUS candidate?

Hats are starting to get thrown into the ring, with some early front runners and media darlings.  Can the Demodopes field a candidate who can beat Trumpovetsky?

• Black Friday week long buying frenzy

It's not just a day long frenzy anymore in the internet era. Roll Eyes

• smile.amazon.com donations to the SUN Foundation

Amazon now makes a Donation to your favorite Charity if you purchase some consumer item from the smile.amazon.com subweb.  Designate the Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation of Boiling Springs, SC as your favorite charity and Amazon will make a donation to help Build a Better TomorrowSUN☼ is a 501c3 Non-Profit corporation and any contributions you make are Tax Deductible.  Visit the SUN☼ website and click the donate button to make your contribution.  The Amazon donation is made by Amazon and not you, so it's not Tax Deductible.  It costs you nothing though if you were buying something anyhow.

Note: As usual,  I'm not providing a Transcript of this rant unless it's requested by a Deaf Person or someone else with a real good reason they can't spend 10 minutes to listen to it.  You can request a transcript by CONTACTING me on the Diner.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:10:05 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse Fireside 🔥 Rant: Potpourri
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Collapse Fireside 🔥 Rant: Potpourri now UP onGlobal Economic Intersection.  :icon_sunny:

http://econintersect.com/pages/opinion/opinion.php?post=201811252223

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🕯️ New RE Candle Invention: The Quad Candle
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:50:58 AM »

I figured I could get more than one wick into a Votive Candle to up the density of heat being output by a single Votive.  1 Votive now outputs around 400 BTU/hour.  I think I can get this up to 7 wicks for an output of 700 BTU/hour.  That closely packed they might suffocate each other though, not sure.

At any rate, at 4 Wicks / Votive and 3 Votives / Tuna Can, that is 1200 BTU per Tuna Can.  It only takes 4 Tuna Cans this way to match the output of an electric oil filled space heater.  :icon_sunny:

My Collapse Emergency Heat Plan is coming together nicely.  :emthup:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse Fireside 🔥 Rant: Potpourri
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:11:19 AM »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🕯️ New RE Candle Invention: The Quad Candle
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »

I figured I could get more than one wick into a Votive Candle to up the density of heat being output by a single Votive.  1 Votive now outputs around 400 BTU/hour.  I think I can get this up to 7 wicks for an output of 700 BTU/hour.  That closely packed they might suffocate each other though, not sure.

At any rate, at 4 Wicks / Votive and 3 Votives / Tuna Can, that is 1200 BTU per Tuna Can.  It only takes 4 Tuna Cans this way to match the output of an electric oil filled space heater.  :icon_sunny:

My Collapse Emergency Heat Plan is coming together nicely.  :emthup:

RE

I NEVER want to read again on these pages that I am an "armchair" Collapse Theorist who doesn't actually DO stuff to help prepare for Collapse and Build a Better Tomorrow!  I may not be the kind of Macho Man Log Splitter and Post Hole Digger that C5 and NF are anymore that Eddie respects while he disses me, but I do what I can as a Cripple in Collapse.  Many of my inventions remain on paper because I either am not physically able to test them or because I don't have the $MONEY$🤑 to afford to test them, but they WILL work.

So you can take your "armchair" critiques and stick them where the sun don't shine!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🕯️ New RE Candle Inventions: The DodecaCandle in Beta Testing
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:40:34 AM »
After running further tests, I have determined that indeed, 7 Wicks in a close packing hexagonal arrangement is too many flames burning at once for this size candle.  4 Wicks in a tetrahedral arrangement is about right. 7 wicks tend to snuff each other out.

However, I have a NEW idea for a "Boat Candle" which will run 12 wicks at once.  :icon_sunny: That would be 1200 BTU/hour.  4 Candle Boats would be enough to keep my digs toasty down to around 20F. -6.66C :evil4:

I'll test this one out this week.  It will take some time to accumulate leftover paraffin and construct the test "DodecaCandle".  I will report back in after I get this new candle constructed.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN