AuthorTopic: The Meat🥩-o-saurus Survey  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Meat🥩-o-saurus Survey
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »
I took it. For me "other" sauce is garlic butter. I also use smoke. Real smoke.

I'm not sure which steak I like best. It was an arbitrary choice. A T-Bone is just a NY strip and a tenderloin (filet) both, with the bone left in. I wondered about that, and that's what I read when I looked it up

When I grille, I usually use tenderloins, simply because I like the Angus tenderloins at Sam's Club, even though it's the evil empire and the cows are herded by child labor in Argentina or maybe Mongolia, or Africa or Pakistan. I've used those for years, and they're thick and good, and not horribly pricey.

But years ago, I started using flank steak (aka fajitas) to make these awesome shish-kabobs with grilled veggies. Tomatoes, onions, green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, pineapple....sometimes squash. That's another specialty of mine that always goes over well. I use BBQ sauce on those. And I buy tenderized fajitas, which are easy to find here in far northern Mexico.

When I eat out, prime rib is my usual choice unless they run out of rare meat, which is a risk of dining late, which is my custom. My backup choice is often a ribeye.

Even though it sounds weird,  a coffee rub is really good on steaks. Fresh  beans, really ground fine. I like steaks done that way, and I should experiment more with that myself.

Mesquite is the best for smoke, and it's easily found here. (invasive species). Pecan and Live Oak are also pretty good.

I remember reading your report about your steak cookery while I was on the road over thanksgiving. Bandwidth was sketchy and I didn't reply, but it sounded like you had finally perfected the art.

Now this business about a coffee rub is interesting AF. Never heard of it. I've made rubs which have worked out fine, but never heard of coffee. Anything else in the grinder?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
It's not a survey, it's a menu.

There will only be 3 at the table if I choose to dine  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
It's not a survey, it's a menu.

No a menu provides you choices of different dishes to order.  It doesn't ask your opinion on what cuts of meat are the best or how you like them best prepared.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
You're quite the sales associate today.

Perhaps I'll partake  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »
You're quite the sales associate today.

Perhaps I'll partake  :icon_sunny:

It's a gift. :)

We're up to 4 respondents now!  :icon_sunny:  Only 1 to go and I'll publish the link to the results to date.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
Yup, I can Embed it on the Blog.  :icon_sunny:

It will go up there shortly after aI write a short introductory paragraph or two.

That should drag in a few more responses.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
Never saw the word 'JERKY' used ?
That's petrified meat-a-saurus  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
Never saw the word 'JERKY' used ?
That's petrified meat-a-saurus  :icon_mrgreen:

True.  You always forget something when you construct one of these surveys.  If we get enough participation, I'll take suggestions for additional questions to ask and construct a new one.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »

Just Finished and I'm friggin famished. Nothing but Big Thick cut of Prime Rib on my mind with a side of Delmonico Potatoes and a few Popovers with melted butter and black pepper for starters. Caesar with Roquefort to start, Bottle of Beaujolais Villages,  spumoni with claret sauce and a jigger of Sambuca to end the festive orgy.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Meat-o-Saurus Survey
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on December 10, 2018

Discuss this Survey in the Diner Pantry

The raising of beef and its consumption are of great concern to many Diners.  There are all sorts of problems with this, given the large population size of Homo Sap currently inhabiting the earth.  It's very water intensive, it takes over habitat from other species who use the same land they graze on, the cattle are often raised, fed and slaughtered in inhumane ways and various other reasons as well.  Many Kollapsniks advocate we all go Vegan in order to Save the Planet and be nicer to animals.  Here on the Diner though, many of us are Politically Incorrect Meat-o-Sauruses, and still love a good Steak despite all the global negatives to this diet.  Eventually of course, we will just about all end up either Vegan or Insectovores, the current production and distribution of beef can't last through Collapse.  For us Meat-o-Sauruses when this time comes, we will have to make the decision of whether to become Bug & Veggie Eaters, or Punch our Tickets to the Great Beyond.

In the meantime though, here in the FSoA there is copious amounts of beef still in the refrigerated displays at your local Food Superstore, and often enough at prices per pound BELOW the Veggies in the Fresh Produce display!  That is the result of subsidized Big Ag Industrial Ranching of course, but it is still the reality right now.  So while this condition lasts,we're still eating the beef, and enjoying the meals.  "Beef. It's What's for Dinner".

But…How do you like your beef if you are still a Meat-o-Saurus?  Our Survey below attempts to answer this question.  If you are a Meat-o-Saurus and want to help us determine the most favored cuts and preparations of cow flesh, please complete the Survey by Sunday when it will close.

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »
Interesting.  The survey embeds when I publish through the automated system that connects Blog Posts to the Forum and reproduces them here, albeit without perfect formatting.  I couldn't get it to work though when I tried it straight up using html tags for the bbcode.  I'm going to have to look at that code and see what's up there.

Also, if you don't answer the survey, you'll get a prompt asking you if you want to leave the page.  Just answer yes if you don't want to take the survey.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 02:24:11 PM »

Just Finished and I'm friggin famished. Nothing but Big Thick cut of Prime Rib on my mind with a side of Delmonico Potatoes and a few Popovers with melted butter and black pepper for starters. Caesar with Roquefort to start, Bottle of Beaujolais Villages,  spumoni with claret sauce and a jigger of Sambuca to end the festive orgy.

Nice choice of Wine once again from the Diner Chief Sommelier!  :emthup:

Somehow, I think Ribeye cooked as Prime Rib is going to be on top in this survey by a large margin.  Just a guess, I haven't looked at the numbers yet.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »

Now THAT's a menu!

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :emthup:
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 03:05:05 PM »

Now THAT's a menu!

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :emthup:

Diners have good taste in food.  That's why we're DINERS!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Meat🥩-o-saurus Survey - Early Results
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
Current Leader - Filet Mignon

WooHoo!  We're now up to 10 responses, so I'll give the regular Diner in here  the URL for the results page:

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/app#!/1107491/analyze/-1

Somewhat Surprisingly, Fillet Mignon and T-Bones have now pulled ahead of Ribeye.  Prime Rib Standing Roast is still the most savored method of preparing this cut though, blowing away BBQ.

RE
Save As Many As You Can