AuthorTopic: Web Page Newz  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Math Says We're Going to Fall...This Will Not End Well
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »
???

Let's just call it 'wallowing in sin & cynicism to alleviate the boredom and despair that commonly afflicts jaded iconoclasts that feel trapped by circumstances of life every now and then'

But you probably wouldn't understand being the cheerful upstanding citizen filled with love and feelings of goodwill towards Mankind that you are  ...  ::) :exp-angel: :exp-rolleyes: ;D

Yep. Got me down pat.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
New Web Page Newz
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »

My own place in the doomosphere will be hosting comments soon.  I have been farting around have done all the stuff to make it work long enough I think I have skill enough to actually get it working.  It is quite an onion.  Commenting on a website is a two way conversation.  Both uploading and downloading have to be done.

So now if you go to the end of my last Monday's rambling you see a 'comment' button.  If you click it a request will be sent to:

http://chasingthesquirrel.com/

The request will be for a list of comments which arrive and have to be displayed on screen.  Right now it is fun, at least for me to watch it work while I work out the display kinks.  Reloading the page will close things, but why? Buttons will be added later.

All you see are some dummy comments right now.  Next I link them together so they can be easily navigated in a way I invented myself.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:18:14 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: New Web Page Newz
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 08:34:09 PM »

My own place in the doomosphere will be hosting comments soon.  I have been farting around have done all the stuff to make it work long enough I think I have skill enough to actually get it working.  It is quite an onion.  Commenting on a website is a two way conversation.  Both uploading and downloading have to be done.

So now if you go to the end of my last Monday's rambling you see a 'comment' button.  If you click it a request will be sent to:

http://chasingthesquirrel.com/

The request will be for a list of comments which arrive and have to be displayed on screen.  Right now it is fun, at least for me to watch it work while I work out the display kinks.  Reloading the page will close things, but why? Buttons will be added later.

All you see are some dummy comments right now.  Next I link them together so they can be easily navigated in a way I invented myself.

I'll check it out.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
K-Dogs Excellent Adventures 2.0
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »
A lot has been done.  No comments yet.  I found I needed to do more to get ready for them. 

I had to write K-Dog 2.0

Now my page is automatically generated.  I had to do it because the tags in my HTML have to get deeper for the neat shit and it was too much to do by hand.  My big flat HTML files were too hard to keep error free but to my delight when I posted:

today at:

https://chasingthesquirrel.com/

it came back as verified with the little green padlock.  All the HTML looks to be clean so far and because my new page validates as safe apparently some of the bots are being kept away by the validation service. 

Whatever, it may look pretty much the same with a new two column format but under the hood things are completely different, and better.

Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: K-Dogs Excellent Adventures 2.0
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 03:59:50 AM »
A lot has been done.  No comments yet.  I found I needed to do more to get ready for them. 

I had to write K-Dog 2.0

Now my page is automatically generated.  I had to do it because the tags in my HTML have to get deeper for the neat shit and it was too much to do by hand.  My big flat HTML files were too hard to keep error free but to my delight when I posted:

today at:

it came back as verified with the little green padlock.  All the HTML looks to be clean so far and because my new page validates as safe apparently some of the bots are being kept away by the validation service. 

Whatever, it may look pretty much the same with a new two column format but under the hood things are completely different, and better.

I'm still waiting for a better Commenting system for the Diner than the SMF we use.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 09:40:57 AM »

I had to write K-Dog 2.0

today at:

I'm still waiting for a better Commenting system for the Diner than the SMF we use.

RE

Yes, when it is working it will be better out of the box but there is more to getting a article/comment dialog system working than just getting an edit box up and posting.  My new release is a big part of that but only a part.  For instance I'll have to have registered users.  Another layer of the onion, but you are being a Debbie Downer.  If doing all this was super easy other people would have made better systems long ago.

I'll of course be able to ban people if they are idiots but I'll need to have some simple controls up like being able to turn somebodies text color to match the background color if they piss me off from day one.

It's the adventure and not just the destination of it all that keeps me going.  For a long time I had decided it was to hard but then I decided fuck it.  I'm just going to do it.  Hard or not.  Now my skills are good enough to actually get the job done and I do not think that is a small thing to say.  There is a hell of a lot to know to build a website from scratch.

Practically as soon as I get a log in screen up and working and install the editor I will have comments.  I'll start by making it register by email only while I work on the nuts and bolts of a registration system that sends you the automated link thing.  If I did not break login and registration into separate tasks comments could be a long way off.

Getting 2.0 as far along as it is I'll say is the same effort and time a small book could take.  Not that the two are strictly equivalent of course but the complexity of the task is not small.

What is really good is that I can now write all sorts of goodies by hand.  I have something that presents as well as a big name package does and I have full control over it.  It is lean mean and well organized.  I think I might run against Trump in the next election.  I'll make a voting plugin on the site for the straw election.  Sliding bars showing current vote count.  I can make some nice graphics for a poll that would be the same task essentially.

I have learned enough to be dangerous.

Have any ideas for a poll?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:43:29 AM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »

I had to write K-Dog 2.0

today at:

RE

Yes, when it is working it will be better out of the box but there is more to getting a article/comment dialog system working than just getting an edit box up and posting.  My new release is a big part of that but only a part.  For instance I'll have to have registered users.  Another layer of the onion, but you are being a Debbie Downer.  If doing all this was super easy other people would have made better systems long ago.

I'll of course be able to ban people if they are idiots but I'll need to have some simple controls up like being able to turn somebodies text color to match the background color if they piss me off from day one.

It's the adventure and not just the destination of it all that keeps me going.  For a long time I had decided it was to hard but then I decided fuck it.  I'm just going to do it.  Hard or not.  Now my skills are good enough to actually get the job done and I do not think that is a small thing to say.  There is a hell of a lot to know to build a website from scratch.

Practically as soon as I get a log in screen up and working and install the editor I will have comments.  I'll start by making it register by email only while I work on the nuts and bolts of a registration system that sends you the automated link thing.  If I did not break login and registration into separate tasks comments could be a long way off.

Getting 2.0 as far along as it is I'll say is the same effort and time a small book could take.  Not that the two are strictly equivalent of course but the complexity of the task is not small.

What is really good is that I can now write all sorts of goodies by hand.  I have something that presents as well as a big name package does and I have full control over it.  It is lean mean and well organized.  I think I might run against Trump in the next election.  I'll make a voting plugin on the site for the straw election.  Sliding bars showing current vote count.  I can make some nice graphics for a poll that would be the same task essentially.

My MAIN requirement is a FILING SYSTEM for the posting, so that you can find Comments not just by the particular blog they were attached to but by the Subject of the pot, as well as additional Tags to search it down by.  SMF is not too bad with this, but it could be much better.  WP commentary is utterly worthless for searching by topic.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »

I had to write K-Dog 2.0

today at:

RE

My MAIN requirement is a FILING SYSTEM for the posting, so that you can find Comments not just by the particular blog they were attached to but by the Subject of the pot, as well as additional Tags to search it down by.  SMF is not too bad with this, but it could be much better.  WP commentary is utterly worthless for searching by topic.

RE

Oh, also, once you have created this Ultimate Commentary System (UCS) as you Code Jockey the Internet Horse, we need to be able to migrate the ENTIRE almost 8 year history of Diner Comments from SMF to the new Database.  Take that Hot Dog and suck on it for a while. lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Web Page Newz
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
we need to be able to migrate the ENTIRE almost 8 year history of Diner Comments from SMF to the new Database.

In your dreams.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
we need to be able to migrate the ENTIRE almost 8 year history of Diner Comments from SMF to the new Database.

In your dreams.

Had a feeling that was the case.

The Diner Forum shall remain on SMF until the SUN goes Red Giant.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »
Progress has been made.  Who will be the first to send me a message?

And clicking on the big menu which now has 400 links promotes your selection.  The sort in the menu is alphabetic by section to start with but after that popularity sorts the menu.  I use another page that does not 'vote' so I don't bias the results.  Dark Green Mountain visited and found out right away.  Good for him, it's all good.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:58:58 PM by K-Dog »

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »

In your dreams.

Had a feeling that was the case.

The Diner Forum shall remain on SMF until the SUN goes Red Giant.

RE

Actually not that hard.  Down the road from what I want to do but since all the content here is clearly defined text and media a project to 'eat' a thread and post the digested content into my own format would be straightforward but with enough details to work out that it would take a while.

But keep dreaming.  To return to some of this content would be a vulgarity.  Even some of mine. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »

Where's the Button for sending messages?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 05:36:51 AM »

RE

Play around with the login button.  It will lead you to a message button.

Login button -> (new user or message) button -> message form with send.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 05:39:25 AM »

RE

Play around with the login button.  It will lead you to a message button.

Login button -> (new user or message) button -> message form with send.

I will scope around.

Meanwhile, can you change that color scheme?  I can hardly read it off that black background.

RE
Save As Many As You Can