AuthorTopic: Web Page Newz  (Read 11287 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Web Page Newz
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 05:58:10 AM »
Progress has been made.  Who will be the first to send me a message?

Where's the Button for sending messages?  I'm spending a fair amount of time adjusting the colors so they work with the dark background.

RE

Play around with the login button.  It will lead you to a message button.

Login button -> (new user or message) button -> message form with send.

I will scope around.

Meanwhile, can you change that color scheme?  I can hardly read it off that black background.

RE

Some people like it.  I can't stand a light screen.  I am adjusting the colors so they look good with the background .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:01:53 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
Progress has been made.  Who will be the first to send me a message?

Where's the Button for sending messages?

RE

Play around with the login button.  It will lead you to a message button.

Login button -> (new user or message) button -> message form with send.

I will scope around.

Meanwhile, can you change that color scheme?  I can hardly read it off that black background.

RE

When I click the Lpgin Button, it tells me to click the Enter Button.  After I click that, I get  a dialogue line to put in my user name.  That does not seem to work

The readability looks a bit improved.

R
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »
You did not notice the 'other buttons' below the login and password lines.  I'll do something with the 'other buttons' to make it more noticeable.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Will try again later.

Right now trying to work out communications with a Ruskie on Vikings.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Will try again later.

RE

Thanks for the message.  Good input thanks.  I may work on a page two with a pale pastel colored page.  That would be kind of cool.  Add other pages but keep the entry hall dark.

I will have to add a way to reset passwords.  A lot of this stuff you don't realize until you get something working.  My 'other choices button' seemed obvious but when I looked at my page after you missed it I realized how easy it was to pass over. 

If people don't forget their passwords the minimum I have now will at least allow someone to edit and write protect their comments provided they don't cause me to swing the ban hammer.  I have some back end stuff to write to support such admin tasks before I can go prime time.  Truth be told that is what the messaging is all about.  I can write stuff to process the messages that I can reuse as the backbone for comment manipulations which are just enough harder to make it smart to do messages first.

The way my passwords work is you pick a password and code in your browser munges it together with your username.  Code then takes the md5 checksum of the resulting munged text.  That resulting checksum is sent from your browser to my registration functions where it is stored with email, username and real name as the user password. 

The actual password a person picks never leaves their computer and going backwards from an md5 checksum to whatever a person picked is hard enough, but what do I mean by 'munged'?  Only I know that and since I have all the tools to make a trolls' text color match their background color or ban them outright anytime I want I'd need someones password why?

Point is, my passwords are secure.  I can't possibly tell what a person picked and all I will have to do to let a person reset a password is have them to enter an random email code sent only by requesting a reset.  It will all be automatic.  I will be fancy and only let someone have ten minutes to use their email code like everyone else does; but time limits are only psychological feel good stuff.  Time has nothing to do with it.  It is secure or it isn't and my little amateur site will be more secure than most big players. 

Ask yourself next time you are in password hell.  How do they know your new password is almost like the old one and so should not be accepted as valid?  How could they ever know?  I won't be able to know or possibly guess.  If I look  at a stored password all I will see is what looks to be a 128 bit random number.  I won't be able to tell what name/password combination originally made it before it was sent up to the server.

Of course if Uncle Sam is into our shit (and they are) none of what I say matters.  They will do whatever they want.

If you register and are successful a green message will say 'you have been registered'.  So far nobody has registered but K-Dog and some other test dogs I made up and already deleted.  'Fido' was entered and deleted at least ten times while I debugged my code and it should not be possible to get a 'you have been registered' message  without actually entering a new user successfully.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:49:31 PM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47:17 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Will try again later.

RE

Thanks for the message.  Good input thanks.  I may work on a page two with a pale pastel colored page.  That would be kind of cool.  Add other pages but keep the entry hall dark.

I will have to add a way to reset passwords.  A lot of this stuff you don't realize until you get something working.  My 'other choices button' seemed obvious but when I looked at my page after you missed it I realized how easy it was to pass over. 

If people don't forget their passwords the minimum I have now will at least allow someone to edit and write protect their comments provided they don't cause me to swing the ban hammer.  I have some back end stuff to write to support such admin tasks before I can go prime time.  Truth be told that is what the messaging is all about.  I can write stuff to process the messages that I can reuse as the backbone for comment manipulations which are just enough harder to make it smart to do messages first.

The way my passwords work is you pick a password and code in your browser munges it together with your username.  Code then takes the md5 checksum of the resulting munged text.  That resulting checksum is sent from your browser to my registration functions where it is stored with email, username and real name as the user password. 

The actual password a person picks never leaves their computer and going backwards from an md5 checksum to whatever a person picked is hard enough, but what do I mean by 'munged'?  Only I know that and since I have all the tools to make a trolls' text color match their background color or ban them outright anytime I want I'd need someones password why?

Point is, my passwords are secure.  I can't possibly tell what a person picked and all I will have to do to let a person reset a password is to have them to enter an random email code sent only by requesting a reset first.  It will all be automatic.  I will be fancy and only let someone have ten minutes to use their email code like everyone else does; but time limits are only psychological feel good stuff.  Time has nothing to do with it.  It is secure or it isn't and my little amateur site will be more secure than most big players. 

Ask yourself next time you are in password hell.  How do they know your new password is almost like the old one and so should not be accepted as valid?  How could they ever know?  I won't be able to know or possibly guess.  If I look  at a stored password all I will see is what looks to be a 128 bit random number.  I won't be able to tell what name/password combination originally made it before it was sent up to the server.

Of course if Uncle Sam is into our shit (and they are) none of what I say matters.  They will do whatever they want.

If you register and are successful a green message will say 'you have been registered'.  So far nobody has registered but K-Dog and some other test dogs I made up and already deleted.  'Fido' was entered and deleted at least ten times while I debugged my code and it should not be possible to get a 'you have been registered' message  without actually entering a new user successfully.

You are going OCD on this.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 09:45:03 PM »
I've mentioned I'm working on a new web presence before.  I am about as far as the functionality Irv Mills (and others) have with blogspots right now.  The difference being my code is running in my own server on the very computer I'm typing this on.

Irv's site (A common Blogspot look and feel)  Nothing wrong with it if you don't mind the golden handcuffs.

http://theeasiestpersontofool.blogspot.com/2018/10/responding-to-collapse-part-3-decling.html

Compare that with a peek at what I'm up to now.  This is a screenshot.  I started writing an 'article' using my internal editor and added some dummy comments.

As you see if I just wanted a blogspot looking site where I write the software and host it myself I can be up and running pretty quick.  That just polishes what I have now.  But I want more than that so this post is just a tease.  Kblog really is up on the dark web and if you knew what to type in as a URL you could actually get there.  You could even leave a comment.  But like I said, not yet.  I have plans.

I'll be correcting the 'Dune' quote above through my Admin Panel but I'll have to create a Frank Herbert user first.  Go ahead and comment on my nascent essay.  Your input could make it into the debut Kblog release!

Whenever that is.  :icon_sunny:

That was about a year ago.  A bit more.  Where Am I?

Today I actually have comments working at chasingthesquirrel.com.  I loaded it up this morning and I made a quick test.   I have it switched off until I have an admin panel written so I can manage users.  How hard will that be?

Not very hard because I already wrote it once.  The website I described a year ago I finished but I only loaded it up on a local server.  I never used that software because I wanted to maintain continuity with what I already had at chasingthesquirrel.  My new version reconfigured my server in such a way that my old web page was totally incompatible and could not be mixed in. 

The code I wrote a year ago is a code masterpiece that will be a pleasure to reverse engineer.  That is what I have to do now.  Reverse engineer my own code because I wrote it 400 days ago and can't remember it well enough to just start working on it.  I forgot  my admin password and I had to search the code to find out how I generated passwords because they are hashed.  I always do that. 

I was able to hash a new password and drop it into the MySQL database just like the NSA can do.  I wonder what they would do if they could not access common databases.  Something to think about.

The end result is I have totally hacked into another fully working website (my own) which I have running on my local server.  I already was an admin there of course.  I can redo the admin panel functions I already know work into the code I am writing now.  It is not a cut and paste because I am moving a work of art into more conventional code and it can't just drop in because of the server configuration issue. 

Another turn of the circle.  But what I have left to do won't take a year.

In the meantime.  Visit and experience my rudimentary but still very cool editor.  It is in demo mode because everything it sends to my server right now gets an 'under construction' reply.  Nothing at the server can be changed.

Double click on an article or comment.  I have it set so anything editable will launch my editor with a double click.  Or hit a reply or new comment button.  When I pull out the under construction blocks you will have to sign in to launch the editor.

Unless I enable anonymous comments at the new comment button.  That is what writing the admin panel is about.  I need management functions. 

https://chasingthesquirrel.com/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:46:43 PM by K-Dog »

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »

NICE ! ride  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »
I did it.

Not the way I originally planned and it isn't finished but I have comments working at my place.  Register using the login button and choose other stuff.

https://chasingthesquirrel.com/

You won't be able to log on until  I put you in the user list.  Right now that is more manual than automatic.  That is what I work on next.

I rolled my own!

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 06:41:18 PM »

Doomer duty calls.  Expand your horizons.  Claim some territory.  We are the orange part of the map.

Weapons are being issued with a click of the Login Button:

Then follow:

More Stuff    ==>

RE tested it a while back but he will have to redo his registration. I did not have my process nailed down as well as I do now.  Not that there is not more work to be done.  But it does not have to be all automatic yet.  People are not going to line up to comment at chaisingthesquirrel.com anytime soon so if I have to do a bit of cut and pasting here and there I can deal with it.

Diners, please register at chasingthesquirrel.com.  You can leave comments there now!

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
My Web Page Newz
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2020, 09:45:09 PM »
"A great American comeback" Trump claims as he exaggerates his credit for the current state of the economy.  And by the numbers the American economy seems good.

But what numbers really make it look good?  Neither GDP nor Wall Street is a solid measure of the economy.  They are fickle and don't measure stability or how well people are actually doing in their everyday lives.

In only two years the number of Americans without health insurance increased from 10.9 to 13.7%.  Tax cuts have benefited the already rich and corporations.  Mostly the very rich enjoyed cuts and big corporations pay no tax at all.  The median wage of full-time workers is more than 3% below what it was 40 years ago.  Supposedly everyone who wants a job has one.  I know this not to be true.

Real unemployment is not the same thing as the voodoo percentage of reported unemployment. Many people know this is true but not enough do. Unemployment is a complex issue. There are different types. Cyclical, frictional, structural, natural, long-term, real, seasonal, classical, underemployment are nine different types and I doubt these definitions cover all cases.

After the Korean War unemployment was at a percentage point less than it is now. The economy was then in a bubble that burst leading to recession. A health economy will have a natural unemployment rate a percentage point higher than what it is reported at now. Behind Trumps single claim to greatness, a current and quite temporary low unemployment rate, there is much juju.

Consumer culture, the only culture we as Americans in the collective currently know requires optimism as a basic nutrient. Without optimism, consumer culture crashes and it crashes so hard that optimism is essential for life as Americans know it. Living in a reality of happy happy joy joy optimism is mandatory for American consumer culture to function. But unfounded optimism distorts reality, and American optimism is without foundation. Optimism at this point is now fatal.

Nine in ten American tight oil producers have a negative cash flow. The American tight oil industry requires continuing investment to operate and without tax subsidy there will be no profit. Expounding on tax cuts needed to save an industry is a devious way to make the bad look good but Trump and Republicans in general are not above being devious. They love to make people feel good about tax cuts and they get special thrills talking tax cuts to ordinary people who don’t actually benefit from any of the Trump cuts. It is suit schadenfreude.

Consumer culture must consume a diet of optimistic propaganda for food or it fails, but that is not the end of the need for cultural deception. The central banking system, the blood of the global economy and the consumer culture requires continuing growth or it fails.  It fails when debts can’t be paid back because growth slows down. The banking system was constructed so new investment pays off older debt. If that cant’ happen economic our fabric rips apart.

Other economic systems are possible but a new economic system would require change that would be violently opposed by those who benefit from the system as it is now. This makes us locked into our current banking system the way Thelma & Louise were locked into their drive off the Dead Horse Point State Park cliff.

Global growth is now dependent on a U.S. tight oil industry which is unable to produce at a profit.  The industry only rides on a wave of investor confidence and it must fail.  Reality will not be ignored. When the American fracking industry will go tits-up I can’t say.  But it must. The tight oil plays are already mature.

Tight oil fields go through a four stage life cycle. Mature is the third stage and it precedes decline, the final stage. The Permian, Eagle Ford, and Bakken tight oil plays are all in the third stage of life cycle. More wells are drilled but less oil now comes up. In an industry that does not yet make profit that is a very bad thing.

Oil is a raw material. 14% of oil use in 2018 was used to make plastic and fertilizer. Agriculture as we know it requires oil or it can’t function. In America 70.56% of oil is used for transport. We have few ways of getting around which don’t use oil.  Without oil Americans die.

Oil was discovered at the lowest rates on record in the years 2017, 2018 and 2019. Discoveries in these years at one-tenth any 1960's rate. The quality of oil produced degrades and becoming ever more expensive with a falling EROEI. When the American tight oil collapses there will be nothing to save the American economy.  Recession will be here to stay and it won't go away.

Economic crash won’t be avoided despite big brains knowing the truth of our situation for decades. Global greenhouse gas emissions have gone up every year for the last 20 years. Global population continues to grow. Global warming is on track to exceed 1.5 Celsius within ten years. Two degrees will arrive shortly thereafter.  Despite the horror of this doomsday scenario Trump and other leaders of his kind do not care.  Their philosophy is a last man standing philosophy.  Under the circumstances getting the most for themselves and ignoring that others have needs makes sense to them.  Sadly being stuck at this primitive level of social awareness is a common madness of the privileged.  Elitism kills empathy.

American leaders have not led. Ensconced in personal tribal pursuits our leaders squandered our future and we let them do it. To save humanity low-energy self-sufficient local and regional economies would have to replace contemporary culture all over the world before 1.5 degrees Celsius is reached. Failure to do so will mean biosphere collapse. 1.5 degrees stresses the world too much to feed ten billion people which is how many people will have to be fed when we reach 1.5 degrees C of global warming.

Yet nothing will be done. As a case study the Aral Sea could have been saved but established bureaucracy no matter where on Earth it is, cannot deal with future consequences. The Aral sea is now gone.  Around the Aral Sea cotton production introduced in the 1960's had to be maintained and irrigation was applied without limit. Bureaucracy increased pesticide use to maintain existing yield after soil became depleted from lack of crop rotation. The result was a sea half the size of Great Britain became desert with pesticide in the sands limiting life expectancy in the region, which once exceed 60 years, to now be less than 55 years.  The local economy once supported a thriving fishing industry.  Now there are no fish.

Lessons could have been learned from the Aral sea experience but I suspect most people in America do not even know about the Aral Sea. The sea of a thousand islands is gone. That is what it was once called.  Only seas and islands of ignorance remain and they are not limited to the region.

You can comment on any of this using ‘Barking Dog’. Barking Dog is an anonymous user that anyone can log on with using ‘woof’ as the password. You can also register here now with your own username and password by following the ‘More Stuff ==>’ option under my login button.

A day ago I finished my user management software well enough to be useful. This means if you enter a username and password I’ll check it pretty quick. Robots not allowed . I have a button to click to see who registered. Another few clicks and you are in and then you can comment with your own username.

I wrote my comment and user management software and at the end of the job I had a few bugs. I hunted them down, killed them and suddenly realized I had finished a menu bar to manage my users with.  Nothing left to fix or do. You can’t see it because you are on the user page and it lives on my administration page. It was the job I was trying to do and the last of a long chain of jobs. When I finished my code it was a surprise. Deep into work and suddenly boom! I was done. A working user management system with registered users and an editor that logged-in users can comment with. A complete interactive website!

It still is a work in progress but all the essentials are finally working. If you register please register with a real email address. Mine is at the bottom of this page.

The last part I wrote about leaving a comment obviously only applies at chasingthesquirrel.com  Here comments came out of a box.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My Web Page Newz
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2020, 01:21:21 AM »
I am still working on the Seattle Jet Setting trip planning and organization.  I should have everything tied up by Thu night this week.  I will head over to Chasing the Squirrel then to check out your improvements.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My Web Page Newz
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2020, 04:34:41 AM »
"A great American comeback" Trump claims as he exaggerates his credit for the current state of the economy.  And by the numbers the American economy seems good.

But what numbers really make it look good?  Neither GDP nor Wall Street is a solid measure of the economy.  They are fickle and don't measure stability or how well people are actually doing in their everyday lives.

In only two years the number of Americans without health insurance increased from 10.9 to 13.7%.  Tax cuts have benefited the already rich and corporations.  Mostly the very rich enjoyed cuts and big corporations pay no tax at all.  The median wage of full-time workers is more than 3% below what it was 40 years ago.  Supposedly everyone who wants a job has one.  I know this not to be true.

Real unemployment is not the same thing as the voodoo percentage of reported unemployment. Many people know this is true but not enough do. Unemployment is a complex issue. There are different types. Cyclical, frictional, structural, natural, long-term, real, seasonal, classical, underemployment are nine different types and I doubt these definitions cover all cases.

After the Korean War unemployment was at a percentage point less than it is now. The economy was then in a bubble that burst leading to recession. A health economy will have a natural unemployment rate a percentage point higher than what it is reported at now. Behind Trumps single claim to greatness, a current and quite temporary low unemployment rate, there is much juju.

Consumer culture, the only culture we as Americans in the collective currently know requires optimism as a basic nutrient. Without optimism, consumer culture crashes and it crashes so hard that optimism is essential for life as Americans know it. Living in a reality of happy happy joy joy optimism is mandatory for American consumer culture to function. But unfounded optimism distorts reality, and American optimism is without foundation. Optimism at this point is now fatal.

Nine in ten American tight oil producers have a negative cash flow. The American tight oil industry requires continuing investment to operate and without tax subsidy there will be no profit. Expounding on tax cuts needed to save an industry is a devious way to make the bad look good but Trump and Republicans in general are not above being devious. They love to make people feel good about tax cuts and they get special thrills talking tax cuts to ordinary people who don’t actually benefit from any of the Trump cuts. It is suit schadenfreude.

Consumer culture must consume a diet of optimistic propaganda for food or it fails, but that is not the end of the need for cultural deception. The central banking system, the blood of the global economy and the consumer culture requires continuing growth or it fails.  It fails when debts can’t be paid back because growth slows down. The banking system was constructed so new investment pays off older debt. If that cant’ happen economic our fabric rips apart.

Other economic systems are possible but a new economic system would require change that would be violently opposed by those who benefit from the system as it is now. This makes us locked into our current banking system the way Thelma & Louise were locked into their drive off the Dead Horse Point State Park cliff.

Global growth is now dependent on a U.S. tight oil industry which is unable to produce at a profit.  The industry only rides on a wave of investor confidence and it must fail.  Reality will not be ignored. When the American fracking industry will go tits-up I can’t say.  But it must. The tight oil plays are already mature.

Tight oil fields go through a four stage life cycle. Mature is the third stage and it precedes decline, the final stage. The Permian, Eagle Ford, and Bakken tight oil plays are all in the third stage of life cycle. More wells are drilled but less oil now comes up. In an industry that does not yet make profit that is a very bad thing.

Oil is a raw material. 14% of oil use in 2018 was used to make plastic and fertilizer. Agriculture as we know it requires oil or it can’t function. In America 70.56% of oil is used for transport. We have few ways of getting around which don’t use oil.  Without oil Americans die.

Oil was discovered at the lowest rates on record in the years 2017, 2018 and 2019. Discoveries in these years at one-tenth any 1960's rate. The quality of oil produced degrades and becoming ever more expensive with a falling EROEI. When the American tight oil collapses there will be nothing to save the American economy.  Recession will be here to stay and it won't go away.

Economic crash won’t be avoided despite big brains knowing the truth of our situation for decades. Global greenhouse gas emissions have gone up every year for the last 20 years. Global population continues to grow. Global warming is on track to exceed 1.5 Celsius within ten years. Two degrees will arrive shortly thereafter.  Despite the horror of this doomsday scenario Trump and other leaders of his kind do not care.  Their philosophy is a last man standing philosophy.  Under the circumstances getting the most for themselves and ignoring that others have needs makes sense to them.  Sadly being stuck at this primitive level of social awareness is a common madness of the privileged.  Elitism kills empathy.

American leaders have not led. Ensconced in personal tribal pursuits our leaders squandered our future and we let them do it. To save humanity low-energy self-sufficient local and regional economies would have to replace contemporary culture all over the world before 1.5 degrees Celsius is reached. Failure to do so will mean biosphere collapse. 1.5 degrees stresses the world too much to feed ten billion people which is how many people will have to be fed when we reach 1.5 degrees C of global warming.

Yet nothing will be done. As a case study the Aral Sea could have been saved but established bureaucracy no matter where on Earth it is, cannot deal with future consequences. The Aral sea is now gone.  Around the Aral Sea cotton production introduced in the 1960's had to be maintained and irrigation was applied without limit. Bureaucracy increased pesticide use to maintain existing yield after soil became depleted from lack of crop rotation. The result was a sea half the size of Great Britain became desert with pesticide in the sands limiting life expectancy in the region, which once exceed 60 years, to now be less than 55 years.  The local economy once supported a thriving fishing industry.  Now there are no fish.

Lessons could have been learned from the Aral sea experience but I suspect most people in America do not even know about the Aral Sea. The sea of a thousand islands is gone. That is what it was once called.  Only seas and islands of ignorance remain and they are not limited to the region.

You can comment on any of this using ‘Barking Dog’. Barking Dog is an anonymous user that anyone can log on with using ‘woof’ as the password. You can also register here now with your own username and password by following the ‘More Stuff ==>’ option under my login button.

A day ago I finished my user management software well enough to be useful. This means if you enter a username and password I’ll check it pretty quick. Robots not allowed . I have a button to click to see who registered. Another few clicks and you are in and then you can comment with your own username.

I wrote my comment and user management software and at the end of the job I had a few bugs. I hunted them down, killed them and suddenly realized I had finished a menu bar to manage my users with.  Nothing left to fix or do. You can’t see it because you are on the user page and it lives on my administration page. It was the job I was trying to do and the last of a long chain of jobs. When I finished my code it was a surprise. Deep into work and suddenly boom! I was done. A working user management system with registered users and an editor that logged-in users can comment with. A complete interactive website!

It still is a work in progress but all the essentials are finally working. If you register please register with a real email address. Mine is at the bottom of this page.

The last part I wrote about leaving a comment obviously only applies at chasingthesquirrel.com  Here comments came out of a box.

Great piece. I agree with most of it.

How are you getting to 1.5 degree rise in 10 years? What is that prediction based upon?  Because what I've been reading does get us to a 1.5 to 2 degree rise, but it takes the rest of the century.

In the long run I guess that's not too different. but I'd like to understand why you say that.

Congrats on your site, I will get over there.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
I was using this dog as a reference.

The Illusion of Saving the World

https://mahb.stanford.edu/post-author/kirkpatrick-sale/

Last month, as you probably know by now, an extraordinary hoopla event descended on Manhattan in the form of a “Climate Action Summit,” summoned by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, to get the nations of the world finally to take seriously the threat of “global warming” and pledge to actually take serious action to save the world from catastrophe.

The chances of anything useful coming from that are nil.

Oh, yes there will be speeches and promises. Under increasing pressure from alarmed citizens, led by the enlightened youth of the world who know they will be the primary victims of the coming environmental disaster, most national leaders tossed around ideas like carbon taxes, bans on coal mining and nuclear energy, building “retrofitting,” renewable solar fuels, carbon dioxide entrapment, and “net zero” greenhouse gas emissions. Some will be willing to start doing something about one or another, while simultaneously asking for somebody else to pay for the astronomic costs.

But the whole thing is an illusion. The problem is too big, the solutions too imperfect, and the timing, even if everything got fixed in a decade, is too late.

Most scientists believe, with the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, that if the earth’s temperature should increase by 2 degrees Celsius (35.6 degrees Fahrenheit) the rise in sea levels would engulf 280 million people, earthquakes could wipe out 17.6 million, and subsequent droughts and famines would like result in another 231 million, not to mention uncontrolled worldwide migrations, the collapse of many fragile states, and the threat of civil disorder throughout the developed world.

This is why the last global climate gathering, in Paris in 2015, set a goal of reducing global gas emissions enough by 2050 so as to avoid reaching a world temperature of a 1.5 Celsius increase. This would mean reducing emissions by 45 per cent by 2030 and virtually 100 per cent by the target date.

And what is happening? Global gas emissions have increased every year for the last 20 years, with a record set in 2018 (to which the U.S. contributed a record 3.4 per cent), and at this rate, unless miracles occur, we’ll reach 1.5 Celsius by 2030, 2 Celsius shortly thereafter.

Here are two hard truths. In order to reach the Paris Accord goals, according to the Intergovernmental Panel, the world would need to see “rapid and far-reaching” changes in energy systems (immediate end of fossil fuels), land use (agricultural land replanted with trees), city layouts and transportation (to reduce car use), buildings (all retrofitted to renewable energy), vast reduction or elimination of road and air travel, and worldwide checks on human material consumption. In other words, the end of capital civilization as we know it and its replacement by low-energy, pre-industrial, self-sufficient local and regional economies—within a decade.

And two, even those miracles would probably be too late. The ten hottest years on earth, since quasi-global records began to be kept in 1850, have been between 2005 and 2019, and the hottest by far have been the last five years. (July was the hottest month since record-keeping began.) Hot temperatures cause melting ice, at the poles, in Greenland, and at glaciers worldwide, thus reducing reflection of sunlight back into the atmosphere and increasing the amount that warms the surface. Melting permafrost layers release massive amounts of methane gas, a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2, increasing temperatures worldwide.

The tragedy is that we have already increased temperatures so much, and created conditions so that they will inevitably increase further, that there is nothing that science—or any United Nations mandate of any kind—can do that will reduce temperatures in ten years. Period.

Last year an English scientist named Jem Bendell wrote a paper that shocked many of his fellow scholars by coming out and saying what everyone knew the data pointed to but no one wanted to admit. He had devoted decades to “sustainable development,” he said, but had to conclude that “the whole field of sustainable development research…is based on the view that we can halt climate change and avert catastrophe. By returning to the science, I discovered that view is no longer tenable,” and there was very little prospect that any kind of social change would save the world from an imminent environmental disaster and “the likelihood of near term societal collapse.”

It is still not a generally accepted scientific position, and its implications are so far-reaching that a great many people prefer simply to ignore it; his fellow scientists criticize it as excessively gloomy, which of course it is. But it is hardly surprising that in the last few years there have grown up several organizations that have confronted that truth head-on. For example, something called the Near Term Human Extinction Support Group started a Facebook group in 2013 and has since added a Near Term Human Extinction Evidence Group, both flourishing with new material every day to comfort or discomfort their adherents.

It’s not necessary to side with the NTHers, but I would advise you not to fall into the delusions offered by the Summitists.

A reverse quote.  K-Dog here.  Try the link but if you can't get in I published Kirkpatrick's blog article here for you.