AuthorTopic: Web Page Newz  (Read 6006 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Web Page Newz
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 05:58:10 AM »
Progress has been made.  Who will be the first to send me a message?

Where's the Button for sending messages?  I'm spending a fair amount of time adjusting the colors so they work with the dark background.

RE

Play around with the login button.  It will lead you to a message button.

Login button -> (new user or message) button -> message form with send.

I will scope around.

Meanwhile, can you change that color scheme?  I can hardly read it off that black background.

RE

Some people like it.  I can't stand a light screen.  I am adjusting the colors so they look good with the background .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:01:53 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
Progress has been made.  Who will be the first to send me a message?

Where's the Button for sending messages?

RE

Play around with the login button.  It will lead you to a message button.

Login button -> (new user or message) button -> message form with send.

I will scope around.

Meanwhile, can you change that color scheme?  I can hardly read it off that black background.

RE

When I click the Lpgin Button, it tells me to click the Enter Button.  After I click that, I get  a dialogue line to put in my user name.  That does not seem to work

The readability looks a bit improved.

R
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »
You did not notice the 'other buttons' below the login and password lines.  I'll do something with the 'other buttons' to make it more noticeable.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Will try again later.

Right now trying to work out communications with a Ruskie on Vikings.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Will try again later.

RE

Thanks for the message.  Good input thanks.  I may work on a page two with a pale pastel colored page.  That would be kind of cool.  Add other pages but keep the entry hall dark.

I will have to add a way to reset passwords.  A lot of this stuff you don't realize until you get something working.  My 'other choices button' seemed obvious but when I looked at my page after you missed it I realized how easy it was to pass over. 

If people don't forget their passwords the minimum I have now will at least allow someone to edit and write protect their comments provided they don't cause me to swing the ban hammer.  I have some back end stuff to write to support such admin tasks before I can go prime time.  Truth be told that is what the messaging is all about.  I can write stuff to process the messages that I can reuse as the backbone for comment manipulations which are just enough harder to make it smart to do messages first.

The way my passwords work is you pick a password and code in your browser munges it together with your username.  Code then takes the md5 checksum of the resulting munged text.  That resulting checksum is sent from your browser to my registration functions where it is stored with email, username and real name as the user password. 

The actual password a person picks never leaves their computer and going backwards from an md5 checksum to whatever a person picked is hard enough, but what do I mean by 'munged'?  Only I know that and since I have all the tools to make a trolls' text color match their background color or ban them outright anytime I want I'd need someones password why?

Point is, my passwords are secure.  I can't possibly tell what a person picked and all I will have to do to let a person reset a password is have them to enter an random email code sent only by requesting a reset.  It will all be automatic.  I will be fancy and only let someone have ten minutes to use their email code like everyone else does; but time limits are only psychological feel good stuff.  Time has nothing to do with it.  It is secure or it isn't and my little amateur site will be more secure than most big players. 

Ask yourself next time you are in password hell.  How do they know your new password is almost like the old one and so should not be accepted as valid?  How could they ever know?  I won't be able to know or possibly guess.  If I look  at a stored password all I will see is what looks to be a 128 bit random number.  I won't be able to tell what name/password combination originally made it before it was sent up to the server.

Of course if Uncle Sam is into our shit (and they are) none of what I say matters.  They will do whatever they want.

If you register and are successful a green message will say 'you have been registered'.  So far nobody has registered but K-Dog and some other test dogs I made up and already deleted.  'Fido' was entered and deleted at least ten times while I debugged my code and it should not be possible to get a 'you have been registered' message  without actually entering a new user successfully.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:49:31 PM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 11:47:17 PM »
Now you can't miss it.

Will try again later.

RE

Thanks for the message.  Good input thanks.  I may work on a page two with a pale pastel colored page.  That would be kind of cool.  Add other pages but keep the entry hall dark.

I will have to add a way to reset passwords.  A lot of this stuff you don't realize until you get something working.  My 'other choices button' seemed obvious but when I looked at my page after you missed it I realized how easy it was to pass over. 

If people don't forget their passwords the minimum I have now will at least allow someone to edit and write protect their comments provided they don't cause me to swing the ban hammer.  I have some back end stuff to write to support such admin tasks before I can go prime time.  Truth be told that is what the messaging is all about.  I can write stuff to process the messages that I can reuse as the backbone for comment manipulations which are just enough harder to make it smart to do messages first.

The way my passwords work is you pick a password and code in your browser munges it together with your username.  Code then takes the md5 checksum of the resulting munged text.  That resulting checksum is sent from your browser to my registration functions where it is stored with email, username and real name as the user password. 

The actual password a person picks never leaves their computer and going backwards from an md5 checksum to whatever a person picked is hard enough, but what do I mean by 'munged'?  Only I know that and since I have all the tools to make a trolls' text color match their background color or ban them outright anytime I want I'd need someones password why?

Point is, my passwords are secure.  I can't possibly tell what a person picked and all I will have to do to let a person reset a password is to have them to enter an random email code sent only by requesting a reset first.  It will all be automatic.  I will be fancy and only let someone have ten minutes to use their email code like everyone else does; but time limits are only psychological feel good stuff.  Time has nothing to do with it.  It is secure or it isn't and my little amateur site will be more secure than most big players. 

Ask yourself next time you are in password hell.  How do they know your new password is almost like the old one and so should not be accepted as valid?  How could they ever know?  I won't be able to know or possibly guess.  If I look  at a stored password all I will see is what looks to be a 128 bit random number.  I won't be able to tell what name/password combination originally made it before it was sent up to the server.

Of course if Uncle Sam is into our shit (and they are) none of what I say matters.  They will do whatever they want.

If you register and are successful a green message will say 'you have been registered'.  So far nobody has registered but K-Dog and some other test dogs I made up and already deleted.  'Fido' was entered and deleted at least ten times while I debugged my code and it should not be possible to get a 'you have been registered' message  without actually entering a new user successfully.

You are going OCD on this.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can