PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🗡️ DD: Dagger Disease - The Knife Thread

AuthorTopic: 🗡️ DD: Dagger Disease - The Knife Thread  (Read 8241 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🗡️ DD: Dagger Disease - The Knife Thread
« on: December 26, 2018, 03:12:52 AM »
I'm kicking off a new thread here which is all about Knives 🗡️.  :icon_sunny:  Starter post for this thread appeared in the Diner Solstice  Festival celebration thread.

Drop any of your posts about Knives, Daggers, Swords, Razors, Axes, Hatchets, Manual Saws, Scissors, Shears, Scythes etc into this thread.

Samurai RE

Santa Brings RE a Present

Precisely at Midnight too!  :icon_sunny:

OK it was midnight Paris time, but let's not nitpick. ::)  Also, since I don't have a Chimney he came disguised as a UPS driver and the Gift Box was disguised as a package from Amazon.

In reality of course, I bought this Present for myself.  Since I am a Monast Hermit, I don't have any kids who will buy me presents, and both my parents are dead so no more Christmas Cards with a check in them either.

If you followed my discussions with C5, you know I am a Knife Freak.  Now, I have already just about every knife I will ever need for cooking or for hunting & fishing if I ever have a recovery that will allow me to do that again.  But I recently bought an 8" Chef's Knife crafted from Damascus Steel, and besides being an amazing cutting tool, it's also a real Work of Art.  It gave me a new Enthusiasm to pursue, collecting a full set of Damascus Steel knives which will be an Heirloom Gift to the SUN Foundation when I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond  They are of course relatively expensive, but I shop for Bargains that are ON SALE, so not too much for them.  Also the Japanese are cutting prices to try and keep their export market alive.

For this year's Christmas, I bought a Hunting/Skinning Knife and a Straight Razor.

Knife Damascus Steel 2sm
Knife Damascus Steel 2sm

Real Bone Handles too!

A straight razor is a knife I did NOT have before, even a cheap one.  Who would want to use a cheap straight razor on their face anyhow, right?  So I tried it out and it's really cool, and quite sharp right outta da box.  I will however need to get a Strop for it in addition to my sharpening stones.  For now though, newspaper makes a decent strop, and really I'm not going to use it, my electric Braun is much faster and I don't need to be so careful  It will just go On Display in the Candle Shrine in my digs.

The Hunting Knife also super sharp when unboxed, especially for a knife with this kind of weight and heft.  This is a real Macho Man's knife, you could chop down redwoods with it!  Well not quite, or it would take you your whole life to do it anyhow.  But it's still quite a robust and heavy instrument.  A real Macho Man would probably have chosen one with a longer Blade like Crocodile Dundee carried, but knives like that really aren't very useful in the field unless you are going Mano-a-Mano with a Croc or a Grizzly, something I went out of my way to avoid even when healthy.  A shorter blade works much better for skinning and de-boning a carcass.  For Quartering, carry a good heavy Butcher's Knife in your toolkit.  You can also use a Hatchet for that.  You also want a good Bone Saw of course.  For that a Hacksaw works the best with replaceable blades, I'm not looking for one of those in Damascus Steel.

Probably the next Damascus Steel blade I buy will be a Fillet Knife.  I saw some nice ones on sale, but I'm still torn as to whether I want a stiff blade or a flexible blade.  Flexible blades give you better close to the bone cuts, but they are not as robust.  In any event, I spent enough for 1 Christmas on stuff I will never actually use and don't really need.

Another Enthusiasm I have these days is for Cast Iron Cookware, the kind Lodge Logic sells.  I have a nice Skillet and a small Dutch Oven, as well as a small sauce cup.  However there are pans in a ouple of sizes I covet as well as a big 2 Burner Griddle.  Not cheap stuff here either, and I don't really need that either, although if I had it I might occasionally use it for cooking.  However, my current more modern pans work just fine, so still unnecessary.  The cast Iron stuff though is indestructible, and well cared for will last into the next century at least, if there is anything left to cook t that time anyhow.

Anyhow, I hope all you Diners also got what you wanted for Christmas and are enjoying playing with your new toys.  :icon_sunny:

Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Goodnight!

RE ☃️

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗡️ DD: Dagger Disease - How Sharp is Sharp
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 03:19:06 AM »
Unfortunately, when you think you are pretty good at something, almost an expert, all you need to do to be thoroughly humbled is search the topic on Utoob and you'll find people WAY better than you at whtever it is you think you are pretty good at.  This guy's knives are SHARP!  I can't even get my Fillet Knife THAT sharp!  :o

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LMXWd7kr1H8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LMXWd7kr1H8</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🗡️ DD: Dagger Disease - 10 Fascinating Knives From World History
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 03:28:13 AM »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🗡️ DD: Dagger Disease - The Knife Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:31:38 AM »
Great Knives as Artwork post GO!  Not terrifically utilitarian, but quite beautiful.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:04:51 AM »
Great Knives as Artwork post GO!  Not terrifically utilitarian, but quite beautiful.

RE

Yes RE, It has always amazed me  how a great artisan can turn an ordinary object into something of great beauty to be treasured for centuries for the skill, workmanship, monumental effort a time spent to make it unique and very special.

March 21, 2018
James Doyle, Assistant Curator, Department of the Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas

A gold and silver ceremonial knife from the ancient AmericasStone blades of various types and sizes were produced in the Americas as early as people arrived, including projectile points, hand axes, scrapers, chisels, and other tools. Whether uniface (one sharp edge) or biface (two sharp edges), stone blades with beveled edges had the obvious primary function of cutting. By the second millennium B.C., however, ceremonial blades and bodily regalia made from blades became the media of choice for sculptors in the Americas, who created works of art that transcended the utilitarian or functional. For more than three millennia, indigenous artists in the Western Hemisphere created blades that have been noted for their beauty by both ancient and modern beholders. A global look at ancient blades finds analogous cases, such as in ancient Egypt or China, where weapons were inscribed or ceremonial blades were fashioned from precious nephrites.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »

RE

Yes RE, It has always amazed me  how a great artisan can turn an ordinary object into something of great beauty to be treasured for centuries for the skill, workmanship, monumental effort a time spent to make it unique and very special.

For me, the greatest Artwork in knives is when they are both Beautiful AND Utilitarian.  That's why I am so enamored of my Damascus Steel Chef's Knife, Hunting Knife and Razor.

I also prefer simple and elegant to ornamental designs.  This of course because I actually use knives, not just appreciate them as artwork.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »

RE

The implements shown aren't all knives.

The ones with wavy blades are ancient energy devices.
It's covered in the Mud Flood Thread.

Nice work Oxie, you da' man....  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »
Damascus steel makes a beautiful knife.  The wavy pattern is created in a forge, by a blacksmith. Using an energy device, known as a hammer.

They used to make guns out of Damascus steel too, back in the black powder days. Not strong enough for smokeless powder, though.

My skinning knife, which I'd have to say worked great on the several pigs I butchered, is this design below. Skinning is slippery, greasy work, and it's easy to cut yourself. I like the finger hole, which gives you firm control no matter what.

I was just looking for an example of my knife, which I picked up at Cabela's maybe 15-20 years back, but it seems to be hard to find. It isn't Damascus steel like these, but otherwise it's the same style.

I think I might just buy this one. Overpriced at $60, but pretty.

Nope....30 bucks to ship. Too much.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:26:11 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Damascus steel makes a beautiful knife.  The wavy pattern is created in a forge, by a blacksmith. Using an energy device, known as a hammer.

They used to make guns out of Damascus steel too, back in the black powder days. Not strong enough for smokeless powder, though.

My skinning knife, which I'd have to say worked great on the several pigs I butchered, is this design below. Skinning is slippery, greasy work, and it's easy to cut yourself. I like the finger hole, which gives you firm control no matter what.

I was just looking for an example of my knife, which I picked up at Cabela's maybe 15-20 years back, but it seems to be hard to find. It isn't Damascus steel like these, but otherwise it's the same style.

Are they for sale on Amazon?  I can have one shipped to you for FREE.  I'm an Amazon Prime Subscriber.  It's saving me a fortune in shipping costs to Alaska.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »

Are they for sale on Amazon?  I can have one shipped to you for FREE.  I'm an Amazon Prime Subscriber.  It's saving me a fortune in shipping costs to Alaska.

RE

I have Amazon prime. Somebody who uses my credit card (not me) signed me up for it. It is worth it though, if you buy much stuff.

Nah, saw this on Etsy, looks like it comes from Pakistan, where it's made by some micro-capitalist. Knife is expensive. Shipping is expensive. probably not that good a knife either. Hard to say, until you use it. 90 bucks was too steep for my blood.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »

RE

How do you like this one?  $43 on  smile.amazon.com and FREE shipping.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »

RE

For me, the greatest Artwork in knives is when they are both Beautiful AND Utilitarian.  That's why I am so enamored of my Damascus Steel Chef's Knife, Hunting Knife and Razor.

I also prefer simple and elegant to ornamental designs.  This of course because I actually use knives, not just appreciate them as artwork.

RE

I see. Perhaps modern art with useful blades will be more to your liking.

Allow GO to embellish your collection with something more appropriate for you specific taste.  :Thinkingof_:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

Yes! I like those much better!  :icon_sunny:

Are any of them available on smile.amazon.com with FREE shipping for Prime members?  Got any prices?  ???

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »

Yes! I like those much better!  :icon_sunny:

Are any of them available on smile.amazon.com with FREE shipping for Prime members?  Got any prices?  ???

RE

No, Sorry, They are custom made for collectors by artisans who find the knife an attractive collectible like you do.

The cheapest among the one's pictured are a couple of grand. While they obviously can be used most just admire them as works of art, much like gun collectors collect pistols but rarely shoot them.

Not amazon fare but the stuff of gun and weapon collector antique sort of shops or shows that are held a few times a year for collectors and enthusiasts.

Oregon Knife Club 2011 Show

https://cutlerynewsjournal.wordpress.com/2009/12/13/interview-with-tom-marino-george-schrade-fan-and-push-button-knife-collector/

http://iknifecollector.com/forum/topics/ohio-classic-knife-show

SOG S1 Bowie Original | SOG Knives Collectors

http://temp.sogknivescollectors.com/theknives/s1-bowie-original/

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
Post Script :  The links provided in my previous post will lead you to all sorts of venues for knife purchases and images. It is just utterly amazing how many beautiful knives there are and how many folks really admire them and collect them.