AuthorTopic: Electronics for Preppers: Simplicity Is Reliability  (Read 435 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Electronics for Preppers: Simplicity Is Reliability
« on: December 30, 2018, 09:19:48 AM »

TheOrganicPrepper
by J. G. Martinez D.

I read an interesting history some time ago, where a prepper, an ex-lieutenant, retired and headed to the hills with his dog in a big rig. This one was heavily modified: beefed up suspension, oversized diesel engine with redundant fuel lines, and all kinds of smart but at the same time simple conveniences.

He proudly referred to it as having “expeditionary quality”. That phrase remained in my mind. Expeditions have been characterized by being highly risky. Nowadays we have lots of high-end technology, and even with these gadgets, people suffer accidents and get themselves in all kind of dangerous situations. Without our equipment, we are just weak and frightened meat bags, lost in the wilderness.

Well, I feel like that, at least (nothing like listening to the roar of wild red monkeys almost your size to make this feeling arise). Pretty sure lots of guys out there have Rambo-like skills, training and such. I won’t get into details regarding the mind setup of a prepper. Don´t misunderstand the main objective of this article.

I myself am an advocate of using technology, especially for homestead defense purposes. I prefer an induction kitchen over an open fire, without any doubt. And I know that given the fantasy of the need of an endless-expanding market, things are designed, engineered and manufactured for failure. This is because of the need of being sold at an affordable price and keep the money flowing. YOUR money, flowing from your pocket to theirs. No matter if you decided to use some “excess” of money you may have, in buying a new microwave, or some other stuff. Keep reading, please.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/electronics-for-preppers/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Electronics for Preppers: Simplicity Is Reliability
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »

TheOrganicPrepper
by J. G. Martinez D.

I read an interesting history some time ago, where a prepper, an ex-lieutenant, retired and headed to the hills with his dog in a big rig. This one was heavily modified: beefed up suspension, oversized diesel engine with redundant fuel lines, and all kinds of smart but at the same time simple conveniences.

He proudly referred to it as having “expeditionary quality”. That phrase remained in my mind. Expeditions have been characterized by being highly risky. Nowadays we have lots of high-end technology, and even with these gadgets, people suffer accidents and get themselves in all kind of dangerous situations. Without our equipment, we are just weak and frightened meat bags, lost in the wilderness.

Well, I feel like that, at least (nothing like listening to the roar of wild red monkeys almost your size to make this feeling arise). Pretty sure lots of guys out there have Rambo-like skills, training and such. I won’t get into details regarding the mind setup of a prepper. Don´t misunderstand the main objective of this article.

I myself am an advocate of using technology, especially for homestead defense purposes. I prefer an induction kitchen over an open fire, without any doubt. And I know that given the fantasy of the need of an endless-expanding market, things are designed, engineered and manufactured for failure. This is because of the need of being sold at an affordable price and keep the money flowing. YOUR money, flowing from your pocket to theirs. No matter if you decided to use some “excess” of money you may have, in buying a new microwave, or some other stuff. Keep reading, please.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/electronics-for-preppers/
Nice article... Could not agree with this more. In the quest for ever greater efficiency appliancescars and devices  have become ever more sophisticated involving control boards and more and more sensors. Fuel or electricity is saved but at the cost of resilience.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
Glad it was insightful...
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »
Glad it was insightful...
Its popping up more and more. My propane water heater is a james woods direct vent model. I could have installed the identical water heater with a powered fan and forced exhaust. The efficiency difference is 7-10 percent. My unit has a thermo couple solenoid and thermostat and that is it for replacement parts. To get that extra 7-10 percent efficiency They add: A piezo electric igniter, a vacuum sensor to detect exhaust, a motorized fan for ejecting gas, and a control board to monitor it all... Efficiency at work at the cost of resilience.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:59:51 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
Liked the article, thanks.
I always go for a back up simple plan. Some day the electric and gas chain saws are not going to have power or gas OR some part is going to break. Have a bucking saw and axe in that case. Some day the riding mower isn't going to have gas or parts. Have a scythe in that case. This is going to be more and more the wave of the declining future. Even in the current BAU manufacturers change machines designs yearly and drop replacement parts soon thereafter. I bought an only Craftsman table saw (20 years old). Almost no parts available any longer. I had to craft a dado throat plate myself. I plan on putting building a pulley so it can be powered by a bicycle in the future.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
I always go for a back up simple plan. Some day the electric and gas chain saws are not going to have power or gas OR some part is going to break. Have a bucking saw and axe in that case. Some day the riding mower isn't going to have gas or parts. Have a scythe in that case. This is going to be more and more the wave of the declining future. Even in the current BAU manufacturers change machines designs yearly and drop replacement parts soon thereafter. I bought an only Craftsman table saw (20 years old). Almost no parts available any longer. I had to craft a dado throat plate myself. I plan on putting building a pulley so it can be powered by a bicycle in the future.
AJ

My 1959 VW Westfalia Camper Bus Turned 60 years old this month. Build plate states 12/59 mfg. date.
She's good as new. Just changed out the coil & went old school on mechanical points instead of the & IMPROVED ? electronic points which the masses in Vdub land have done
with their aircooled rides. If the battery turns over then it starts, & I roll in a crisis.
The 1600 sp is tight & I've installed a new freeway flyer trans. The old school steering box has fresh gears & steers tight as new. No more lane wanders in cross winds.
Sheet metal fab work for '19 is up as soon as our winter weather moves on.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 06:05:16 AM »
AJ

My 1959 VW Westfalia Camper Bus Turned 60 years old this month. Build plate states 12/59 mfg. date.
She's good as new. Just changed out the coil & went old school on mechanical points instead of the & IMPROVED ? electronic points which the masses in Vdub land have done
with their aircooled rides. If the battery turns over then it starts, & I roll in a crisis.
The 1600 sp is tight & I've installed a new freeway flyer trans. The old school steering box has fresh gears & steers tight as new. No more lane wanders in cross winds.
Sheet metal fab work for '19 is up as soon as our winter weather moves on.
hmm electronic points replacement... I've been debating them for the Ferguson tractor. I think I will do it. It's an easy in easy out upgrade that can be reversed in 20 minutes. Nice to know Vdubs are still on the road. The've all disappeared here in the salt belt.
Cheers, Happy new year