AuthorTopic: Conservationists clone 5 massive redwood tree stumps, planting 75 trees  (Read 222 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile

When David Milarch first learned about ancient coast redwood stumps hidden in California, he says he was “the most thunderstruck” he’d ever been.

At about 10 metres in diameter, he’d never heard of any tree growing that big.

Now the non-profit that Milarch co-founded is using genetic information from five massive tree stumps to help in the fight against climate change.
SOTT Comment: Cloning some lovely tree’s aint going to do anything about the quieting sun and meteors raining through the skies

On Dec. 14, the Archangel Ancient Tree Archive planted 75 coast redwood saplings at Presidio, a park in San Francisco, that are exact clones of those stumps.

https://www.sott.net/article/403485-Conservationists-clone-5-massive-redwood-tree-stumps-planting-75-trees
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Conservationists clone 5 massive redwood tree stumps, planting 75 trees
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »

When David Milarch first learned about ancient coast redwood stumps hidden in California, he says he was “the most thunderstruck” he’d ever been.

Now the non-profit that Milarch co-founded is using genetic information from five massive tree stumps to help in the fight against climate change.
SOTT Comment: Cloning some lovely tree’s aint going to do anything about the quieting sun and meteors raining through the skies

On Dec. 14, the Archangel Ancient Tree Archive planted 75 coast redwood saplings at Presidio, a park in San Francisco, that are exact clones of those stumps.

https://www.sott.net/article/403485-Conservationists-clone-5-massive-redwood-tree-stumps-planting-75-trees

I like this idea. It makes plenty of sense.

I've spent a little time in the redwood forests. It's just mind-blowing. I've also visited a place in the Amazon rainforest where a few ceiba trees remain. These giants are like something out of Lord of the Rings. I'd like to plant the shit out of some redwood clones. Where do I sign up?

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »
If I had a SUNstead, this would be a major priority.

However, you do need the right climate for them to grow in.  Not sure what neighborhoods will be good for that as we move forward with climate change.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:34 PM »

However, you do need the right climate for them to grow in.  Not sure what neighborhoods will be good for that as we move forward with climate change.

RE

The redwood I planted in my back yard thirty years ago is over four feet in diameter and I doubt the genetics of it are any different than these cloned giants.  If it gets morning fog and is not disturbed for 2000 years it could get just as big or bigger.  A coast redwood is a coast redwood. 

Redwoods are monoecious, meaning both male (pollen-producing) and female (seed-bearing) cones are borne on the same tree but on different branches.  An idiot can figure out there will be significant cross pollination is such a scenario between two close trees with intertwining branches.  The total Coast Redwood growing area is not big and climate has not produced isolated pockets which could evolve by themselves for aeons.  Any identified subspecies are probably marketing scams.  Mine was called a 'Santa Cruz' when I bought it.  Another could be a 'Blue Altos'.  Having bicycled through both places on the same bicycle trip on the same day I can't see how seedlings from these areas could be genetically different in any significant way.  Morphological differences due to micro-climate changes could produce differences which without scientific validation could be mistaken for subspecies.  The area has micro-climates.

It is a junk science article.

I followed a 'recipe' for planting my coast redwood that was in 'The Western Garden Book'.  I doubled the recipe and now the four foot seedling that was as big around as my thumb now has as much wood as the entire K-Dog doghouse.  What good would a 'clone' be.  Who thinks there won't be climate change that will preclude giant trees for the next few thousand years.  Giant trees need climate stability for hundreds of years.  It is what let them get big in the first place.  The day will come when Greenland has lush green forests but the trees will never be giants.  The ice will return first.

Not sure what neighborhoods will be good for that

I'm straight up from their native range by about 600 miles.  My neighborhood is a good candidate.  If the creek don't rise too far.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:11:38 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌳 Conservationists clone 5 massive redwood tree stumps, planting 75 trees
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 12:41:55 AM »

RE

The redwood I planted in my back yard thirty years ago is over four feet in diameter and I doubt the genetics of it are any different than these cloned giants.  If it gets morning fog and is not disturbed for 2000 years it could get just as big or bigger.  A coast redwood is a coast redwood. 

Redwoods are monoecious, meaning both male (pollen-producing) and female (seed-bearing) cones are borne on the same tree but on different branches.  An idiot can figure out there will be significant cross pollination is such a scenario between two close trees with intertwining branches.  The total Coast Redwood growing area is not big and climate has not produced isolated pockets which could evolve by themselves for aeons.  Any identified subspecies are probably marketing scams.  Mine was called a 'Santa Cruz' when I bought it.  Another could be a 'Blue Altos'.  Having bicycled through both places on the same bicycle trip on the same day I can't see how seedlings from these areas could be genetically different in any significant way.  Morphological differences due to micro-climate changes could produce differences which without scientific validation could be mistaken for subspecies.  The area has micro-climates.

I followed a 'recipe' for planting my coast redwood that was in 'The Western Garden Book'.  I doubled the recipe and now the four foot seedling that was as big around as my thumb now has as much wood as the entire K-Dog doghouse.  What good would a 'clone' be.  Who thinks there won't be climate change that will preclude giant trees for the next few thousand years.  Giant trees need climate stability for hundreds of years.  It is what let them get big in the first place.  The day will come when Greenland has lush green forests but the trees will never be giants.  The ice will return first.

I'm straight up from their native range by about 600 miles.  My neighborhood is a good candidate.  If the creek don't rise too far.

I should have shot some pics of that tree when I visited.  :(  Go out and shoot a couple of pics.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 05:13:18 AM »

RE

AZ, post junk science? You think?

I expect you're 100% correct. But if they did actually manage to get clones from those stumps, that's still pretty cool, technically speaking.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:16:39 AM »

I like this idea. It makes plenty of sense.

I've spent a little time in the redwood forests. It's just mind-blowing. I've also visited a place in the Amazon rainforest where a few ceiba trees remain. These giants are like something out of Lord of the Rings. I'd like to plant the shit out of some redwood clones. Where do I sign up?

You'll have to wait until 45 gets his fat ass off the couch & reopens the park system.

https://www.presidio.gov/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:17:37 AM »

AZ, post junk science? You think?

I expect you're 100% correct. But if they did actually manage to get clones from those stumps, that's still pretty cool, technically speaking.

Plant clones are way EZier to do than animal clones, and they're at the point now it can be done with Homo Saps.  I suspect it is rather EZ to clone these trees.  At least if you have access to a good microbiology lab anyhow.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 05:21:01 AM »

You'll have to wait until 45 gets his fat ass off the couch & reopens the park system.

That may take as long as it takes for a Redwood to grow to a 10m diameter.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can