AuthorTopic: Where Is That Damn Food Prep Thread  (Read 445 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Where Is That Damn Food Prep Thread
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:05:41 AM »
Shouldn't the food prep thread be in the pantry? I lost it, anyway. I'll put this here for now. Maybe the Thread Fairy will come and fix it.

So...I started in on reviewing my food preps. It seems like a good time to add some more staples and try to just generally take stock. Some of my prior food preps are getting to be 7 years old soon, although most of it should be fine for another 20 years, probably, which covers my lifetime well enough.

When I began this task, I was trying to cover the food needs for about 10 people, including my kids....... several of whom were in residence here at that time. Now they're far-flung again, and we're down to four humans and three dogs...but I still feel like I need to prep for the eventuality of them all coming home in a real emergency....whether that would ever really happen is a guess, but I'd like to be ready for that.

So in the beginning, I did buy a pre-fab one year survival kit from Pleasant Valley Grains. I like their style, all no-nonsense and food science, no doomsday hype and super-expensive freeze-dried whatever. I got the two person kit, which was expensive. I can't remember what i paid, but it was enough food to basically fill up the bed of my long wide pick-up truck. I figured it as an 8 person supply for 3 months...which wasn't enough, but it gave me a base to build on.

I then bought bulk everything and started making my own long term storage buckets. I learned those O2 absorbers do  draw enough of a vacuum to deform plastic buckets if you use too many. I have some buckets that are still misshapen after 5 years, but at least I know they haven't leaked down.

I'm looking now at adding more oil, more eggs, more butter and more cheese. All expensive items, but I think I need more of those, because I scrimped on it in the beginning and I have less than I need.

Baking powder. Cornbread mix. More canned fruit.

I'm probably okay on beans and rice. I could see the benefit of laying on much more salt and sugar, and those are cheap and available locally at Sam's.

Looks like I will save money by buying my food-grade buckets at Home Depot, they even have the lids. But they are 5 gallon, and not the 6 gallon ones i prefer. I am going to stock up on those. I have to inventory my bags and O2 tabs.

I wrote about Ball Jars and lids...and I do have some, but not nearly enough. Not sure there is such a thing as too many jars and rings, and I could store them out at the stead or in one of my warehouses.. They aren't an item likely to be stolen in these current times, and when TSHTF I will pull everything together again.

Easy to spend lots of money, sure, but I don't buy expensive phones and cameras or bug-out vans...and I have lots of tools and other shit that I don't have to spend money on now. So food looks like the best place to put prep dollars right now.

Dog food is a question mark. They eat so much of it, and we switched to organic dog food, because so much of what they sell is horribly unhealthy. I could go broke fast on dog food preps. I do need to put some away though, and I will...but it won't be enough to keep them alive indefinitely.

It makes me think of Shackleton, and how their dogs saved their lives on the ice, only to have to be killed and eaten when the food ran out. I wonder how they felt about that? I'm sure there were mixed feelings.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:12:03 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Where Is That Damn Food Prep Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:10 AM »
Shouldn't the food prep thread be in the pantry? I lost it, anyway. I'll put this here for now. Maybe the Thread Fairy will come and fix it.

So...I started in on reviewing my food preps. It seems like a good time to add some more staples and try to just generally take stock. Some of my prior food preps are getting to be 7 years old soon, although most of it should be fine for another 20 years, probably, which covers my lifetime well enough.

When I began this task, I was trying to cover the food needs for about 10 people, including my kids....... several of whom were in residence here at that time. Now they're far-flung again, and we're down to four humans and three dogs...but I still feel like I need to prep for the eventuality of them all coming home in a real emergency....whether that would ever really happen is a guess, but I'd like to be ready for that.

So in the beginning, I did buy a pre-fab one year survival kit from Pleasant Valley Grains. I like their style, all no-nonsense and food science, no doomsday hype and super-expensive freeze-dried whatever. I got the two person kit, which was expensive. I can't remember what i paid, but it was enough food to basically fill up the bed of my long wide pick-up truck. I figured it as an 8 person supply for 3 months...which wasn't enough, but it gave me a base to build on.

I then bought bulk everything and started making my own long term storage buckets. I learned those O2 absorbers do  draw enough of a vacuum to deform plastic buckets if you use too many. I have some buckets that are still misshapen after 5 years, but at least I know they haven't leaked down.

I'm looking now at adding more oil, more eggs, more butter and more cheese. All expensive items, but I think I need more of those, because I scrimped on it in the beginning and I have less than I need.

Baking powder. Cornbread mix. More canned fruit.

I'm probably okay on beans and rice. I could see the benefit of laying on much more salt and sugar, and those are cheap and available locally at Sam's.

Looks like I will save money by buying my food-grade buckets at Home Depot, they even have the lids. But they are 5 gallon, and not the 6 gallon ones i prefer. I am going to stock up on those. I have to inventory my bags and O2 tabs.

I wrote about Ball Jars and lids...and I do have some, but not nearly enough. Not sure there is such a thing as too many jars and rings, and I could store them out at the stead or in one of my warehouses.. They aren't an item likely to be stolen in these current times, and when TSHTF I will pull everything together again.

Easy to spend lots of money, sure, but I don't buy expensive phones and cameras or bug-out vans...and I have lots of tools and other shit that I don't have to spend money on now. So food looks like the best place to put prep dollars right now.

Dog food is a question mark. They eat so much of it, and we switched to organic dog food, because so much of what they sell is horribly unhealthy. I could go broke fast on dog food preps. I do need to put some away though, and I will...but it won't be enough to keep them alive indefinitely.

It makes me think of Shackleton, and how their dogs saved their lives on the ice, only to have to be killed and eaten when the food ran out. I wonder how they felt about that? I'm sure their were mixed feelings.
thanks for taking this up Eddie. I've had poor results with the search  index.  I'm going to be rejigging everything here. I plan on doing something similar with a 4 man 1 year or 6 months as a template and just ordering the canned stuff off them the grains I'll do myself. I've also thought about pets. I think scraps and cornmeal would keep them going sometime. Maybe I should stockpile 3 months of dog food and rotate. Chickens are Important so not sure if I buy lay mash and stockpile or buy human food I rotate to them. All my test bags I popped were good after 4 years...when I sealed them i left plenty of room to reseal and new o2 tabs.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:47 AM »

The reason you couldn't find it is because there isn't one.  Food Prep posts are sprinkled all over the place.

This is now the Official Food Prep Thread:icon_sunny:

I'll sticky it when it fills up a full page.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »

Coffee. Not necessary for survival, but it sure is nice to have....this seems like a high price to me, although the packaging itself is way above average. Not sure how to further store it. Maybe put it unopened into a sealed barrel with O2 absorbers.

10 bucks a pound in bulk from Amazon. $140 for what looks like a 6 gallon bucket.

I can buy beans on sale locally probably at least this cheap, but they would need to be put in buckets. More research is necessary here.

I expect the quality is middling...but I dunno. the term "bulk" obviously means something different to Amazon than it does to me. Lots of five pound bags of beans for sale for $80...that ain't bulk in my book.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:37:51 AM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:46:57 AM »
Coffee beans can be had at Sam's here for $9.50/lb. Not worth the expense of storing it myself over the other deal, but I'd know it was done right, I guess. And I wouldn't need some larger container to put the 6 gal bucket into to draw down the O2 further.

I'm guessing I can find a better deal locally on sale....wonder if the Wheatsville co-op would give me shit for loading a whole cart with $8.99 beans? I'm guessing it might be better to send in multiple shoppers to do it. Stealth buying.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:50:52 AM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »
$9 seems to be the low end for high quality coffee beans here, and the local conventional supermarket sells for that. I'm sure they don't set limits on how many....I'd be surprised anyway, if they said anything. I see these middle eastern women with a million coupons, in line with 4 carts, lots of times if I shop the local HEB early or late.

I've heard the store employees even grumble about selling them $1000 worth of food for $600, but I admire their hard-nosed bargain hunting, even if it isn't exactly my thing. They get it.

How many pounds will fit in a five gallon bucket?  If a  6 gallon bucket holds 14 pounds then maybe a five would hold 11 pounds and leave room for the bag and the tabs. We shall see.