PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> ⛸️ -40F is FUCKING COLD!

AuthorTopic: ⛸️ -40F is FUCKING COLD!  (Read 2556 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
⛸️ -40F is FUCKING COLD!
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
We have our eye on this one. Not a good time to be in Ontario. I heard from Farmgal today. They are expecting 40below and beyond. I told her this is why I chose to stay close to an ocean.

-40F Below is FUCKING COLD!  I've never experienced -40F.  Coldest for me was one winter at a Gymnastics Meet in Fairbanks during the Ice Sculpture Festival.  -35F and that was damn cold, even with all my winter gear on where I look like Nanook of the North with every square inch of skin covered, including of course the Balaclave and Snow Goggles.  2 hours out looking at the Ice Sculptures and I was Done.  The Oil boys on the Slope will stay out for 4 hour shifts at -60F.  That is insane.  They do wear electric Boots and Gloves though.

RE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:24:30 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: -40F is FUCKING COLD!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
We hit -34 celcius Wednesday early morning. It's supposed to be colder this weekend. The stove is going full time now. Its 22c in the house and -18c outside and dropping. I prefer the calm cold we get inland to the roulette of coastal locations or the great lake shore dwellers. Now they get hammered. Worse it's ever gotten in my time here is -43c but we don't see that regularly. We will usually get 3 weeks where -20to -35c is the norm and many might will drop to -40. I can take that weather but I usually wait for it to warm up a bit before heading outside. Beautiful sunny days are usually the norm when it's that cold...
PS never ask a Canadian about weather... we never stop talking.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 08:58:29 PM »
We hit -34 celcius Wednesday early morning. It's supposed to be colder this weekend. The stove is going full time now. Its 22c in the house and -18c outside and dropping. I prefer the calm cold we get inland to the roulette of coastal locations or the great lake shore dwellers. Now they get hammered. Worse it's ever gotten in my time here is -43c but we don't see that regularly. We will usually get 3 weeks where -20to -35c is the norm and many might will drop to -40. I can take that weather but I usually wait for it to warm up a bit before heading outside. Beautiful sunny days are usually the norm when it's that cold...

How do you Gear Up?  How many layers? What's the longest amount of time you have spent outdoors/no fire in the Great White North with the temps below -30C (at these Temps, C & F are almost identical.)

Those of us living on the Last Great Frontier love comparing Cold Notes with other frigid dwellers.  :icon_sunny:  We need some Scandinavians and some Siberians to join up!
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 04:09:35 AM »

How do you Gear Up?  How many layers? What's the longest amount of time you have spent outdoors/no fire in the Great White North with the temps below -30C (at these Temps, C & F are almost identical.)

Those of us living on the Last Great Frontier love comparing Cold Notes with other frigid dwellers.  :icon_sunny:  We need some Scandinavians and some Siberians to join up!

This could be a great thread. If we have other northerners. As one who lives in Virginia, I got nuthin'.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 04:19:55 AM »

This could be a great thread. If we have other northerners. As one who lives in Virginia, I got nuthin'.

I agree.  I'm going to split this off and give it it's own Sticky Thread.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ⛸️ -40F is FUCKING COLD!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 04:47:38 AM »
I did remember one other time I experience sub -30F temps, not on the Last Great Frontier.  It was on a job interview for a gym in Minot, ND in mid-February.

Just getting off the plane was a BLAST of the reality of extreme cold.  I did have a winter coat with hood and some standard issue Walmart Special insulated winter gloves, but just walking up the fucking jetway into the airport termnal building I almost turned into an ice cube.  Fortunately, the guy who picked me up had his car parked in the underground garage so I didn't have to go outside again until we made a stop at - you guessed it - Walmart - where he dropped me off at the door and I went inside to buy 2 pairs of thermal underwear & long sleeve T-shirts, 3 pairs of Thermal Socks, Ski Pants, a flannel shirt, a face mask, an oversized Parka that would go OVER my winter Jacket from NY Shity, a scarf to put over my nose and mouth and big insulated Mittens to go over my regular gloves.

I was then more or less OK for the week long coaching trial, but I turned down the job.  Didn't pay enough to deal with that cold and Minot is fucking BLEAK.  It's all dead flat prairie, no features to the landscape at all to pretty it up.  The architecture was all 1960s-70s blocky buildings and warehouses and the houses all cheap cookie cutter suburbia laid out on a perfect grid.  The only thing worse I think would be to live in a Man-Camp in the Bakken.

I also hit sub-20F stuck in a Truckstop in Canada after delivering a load to a GM supplier and the fucking dispatcher couldn't find me a load out and wouldn't Deadhead me back to Detroit and the Lower 48.  This truckstop was a piece of shit also, the restaurant was awful and they didn't even have a fucking TV Lounge.  I ran my engine 24/7 for a week straight there, I didn't even turn it off to fill the tanks which you are supposed to do for safety.  No fucking internet connection there either, even over the old landline slow as molasses modems.  I spent a lot of time creating relational databases I would never use.  LOL.  Finally after a week straight of living in my sardine can, I told my dispatcher over the Qualcomm that if he didn't deadhead me out of there I was going to call a cab to get me to the Toronto airport and fly home and he could come pickup the fucking truck.  He deadheaded me back to Detroit that day.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 05:28:02 AM »
I did remember one other time I experience sub -30F temps, not on the Last Great Frontier.  It was on a job interview for a gym in Minot, ND in mid-February.

Just getting off the plane was a BLAST of the reality of extreme cold.  I did have a winter coat with hood and some standard issue Walmart Special insulated winter gloves, but just walking up the fucking jetway into the airport termnal building I almost turned into an ice cube.  Fortunately, the guy who picked me up had his car parked in the underground garage so I didn't have to go outside again until we made a stop at - you guessed it - Walmart - where he dropped me off at the door and I went inside to buy 2 pairs of thermal underwear & long sleeve T-shirts, 3 pairs of Thermal Socks, Ski Pants, a flannel shirt, a face mask, an oversized Parka that would go OVER my winter Jacket from NY Shity, a scarf to put over my nose and mouth and big insulated Mittens to go over my regular gloves.

I was then more or less OK for the week long coaching trial, but I turned down the job.  Didn't pay enough to deal with that cold and Minot is fucking BLEAK.  It's all dead flat prairie, no features to the landscape at all to pretty it up.  The architecture was all 1960s-70s blocky buildings and warehouses and the houses all cheap cookie cutter suburbia laid out on a perfect grid.  The only thing worse I think would be to live in a Man-Camp in the Bakken.

I also hit sub-20F stuck in a Truckstop in Canada after delivering a load to a GM supplier and the fucking dispatcher couldn't find me a load out and wouldn't Deadhead me back to Detroit and the Lower 48.  This truckstop was a piece of shit also, the restaurant was awful and they didn't even have a fucking TV Lounge.  I ran my engine 24/7 for a week straight there, I didn't even turn it off to fill the tanks which you are supposed to do for safety.  No fucking internet connection there either, even over the old landline slow as molasses modems.  I spent a lot of time creating relational databases I would never use.  LOL.  Finally after a week straight of living in my sardine can, I told my dispatcher over the Qualcomm that if he didn't deadhead me out of there I was going to call a cab to get me to the Toronto airport and fly home and he could come pickup the fucking truck.  He deadheaded me back to Detroit that day.  :icon_sunny:

RE
I read somewhere that due to Climate Change the midwest winters have been warming quite a bit (generally) over the last 40 years. That lows people of the early 1900s would have thought common were occurring much less. I remember traveling on business to the Minot area for a week in January, probably in 1974. It was fun, -35F. The little towns didn't plow the 6" of ice off their streets but once every couple of months and the rental car I had did not have chains or snow tires. I learned how to steer in a slide and fishtail the car a lot that week. The prairie is pretty bleak up there, kinda the place you want to put Minuteman missles :evil4:.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Online cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 05:38:32 AM »
I've almost frozen to death a couple times.

But my mind is elsewhere. I may come back later. There is a reason I own so many blankets.

In the mean time I share this as a tip. The prepper blows... but I would have presented the same thing. This is how I lived in a van without heat in minus 25c with only candles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p2APOtA0M&index=3&list=PLC3D30DCE07442DD7

I actually had one of those 70s furry wool rugs, and that was one of the layers

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:06:50 AM »

I agree.  I'm going to split this off and give it it's own Sticky Thread.  :icon_sunny:

RE
OK, understand that at -35c to -40c i avoid prolonged outdoor work. I can do it, I did it for years but generally construction tasks go really slowly at that temperature and its just not worth it. These days I put it off. For me for bottoms its long johns usually a cotton blend stanfield then either fleece track pants or lined jeans then my insulated carhart overalls. For socks a thin liner pair then a good thick synthetic one. Top is a long john top and a flannel shirt. Then a fleecy, then either just my jacket or another fleecy first. Neck warmer and your russian type fleece lined hat with sides and fur at top. Gloves is usually a thin work type first then an over glove so I never have to have bare skin. Boots are my thick sorels with the felt liners. I bought a pair of Muck boots which are awesome but below -30 they are too cold. Dressed like that you are pretty much bullet proof. Fortified with strong tea and breaks every 2-3 hours I can work through just about anything. I've been doing some ice fishing this year and that garb works well for that as well. If I'm snowshoeing or cross country skiing I have lighter synthetic versions of the same clothes. The sport versions tend to snag and rip in a work environment.
In my crazy 20's I used to winter camp; double sleeping bags and a full set of wicking clothing underneath but that was just 2-4 days at a time for fun.  If I was living rough I would go the sleeping bag route with hood not the endless layers of blankets. There is just too much airspace to heat up in a big bed like that.
There is my nickel worth of words...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 06:09:47 AM »
I've almost frozen to death a couple times.

But my mind is elsewhere. I may come back later. There is a reason I own so many blankets.

In the mean time I share this as a tip. The prepper blows... but I would have presented the same thing. This is how I lived in a van without heat in minus 25c with only candles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p2APOtA0M&index=3&list=PLC3D30DCE07442DD7

I actually had one of those 70s furry wool rugs, and that was one of the layers

Candles🕯️ are quite good for heating the small volume of a van cabin.  :icon_sunny:

You should listen to my interview with Van Dweller, who has been living in his Van since the 60s!  :o  I met him on the Stealth Van Living website.  Remarkable old coot.  He was OTR trucker for many years, hauling Carz.  He also spent a few years living here in Alaska, up near Barrow where it gets REALLY COLD.  He mainly used Kero Lanterns and stove for his heat.  15 gallons of Kero got him thru the whole winter with leftovers.

https://soundcloud.com/doomstead-diner/stealth-van-living-a-half-century-living-on-the-road

https://soundcloud.com/doomstead-diner/van-dweller-part2

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🏔️ -40F is FUCKING COLD!:RE's Headgear
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »

RE
OK, understand that at -35c to -40c i avoid prolonged outdoor work. I can do it, I did it for years but generally construction tasks go really slowly at that temperature and its just not worth it. These days I put it off. For me for bottoms its long johns usually a cotton blend stanfield then either fleece track pants or lined jeans then my insulated carhart overalls. For socks a thin liner pair then a good thick synthetic one. Top is a long john top and a flannel shirt. Then a fleecy, then either just my jacket or another fleecy first. Neck warmer and your russian type fleece lined hat with sides and fur at top. Gloves is usually a thin work type first then an over glove so I never have to have bare skin. Boots are my thick sorels with the felt liners. I bought a pair of Muck boots which are awesome but below -30 they are too cold. Dressed like that you are pretty much bullet proof. Fortified with strong tea and breaks every 2-3 hours I can work through just about anything. I've been doing some ice fishing this year and that garb works well for that as well. If I'm snowshoeing or cross country skiing I have lighter synthetic versions of the same clothes. The sport versions tend to snag and rip in a work environment.
In my crazy 20's I used to winter camp; double sleeping bags and a full set of wicking clothing underneath but that was just 2-4 days at a time for fun.  If I was living rough I would go the sleeping bag route with hood not the endless layers of blankets. There is just too much airspace to heat up in a big bed like that.
There is my nickel worth of words...

That's a good Gear Up.   :icon_sunny:  I mix the Old with the New for dealing with the Brutal Cold.

Starting today from the Top Down, it's the Old for the Hat, I have 2 for the extreme cold, one is a Shearling Sheepskin I picked up around 20 years ago at a Truckstop in Wisconson for $30.  You couldn't buy anything like it today for under $100, maybe even $200.  Ear Flaps come down, of course.

The alternative is a Rabbit Fur Ruskie style job I picked up in SoHo from a street vendor in NY Shity around 40 years ago for $15 in 1970s Dollars.  This you couldn't duplicate it today for under $200.  Also got earflaps that come down, of course.

Here they both are for your admiration and jealousy. lol.  ;D

RE's Brutal Cold Cabesa Protection Hats
click pic to enlarge
Winter Hats
Winter Hats

They're both about equally warm, which one I wear mainly just depends on my Style for the Day.  When it is ULTRA COLD, I'll pull the Hoodie of my Overjacket over them to layer up my Cabesa.

I'll do more parts of the Extreme Cold Wardrobe here in the thread in the bye & bye.  :icon_sunny:

RE aka "Nanook of the North"
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Yep, -40F is FUCKING COLD, and +40c is fucking hot.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 04:10:22 PM »
We just got one day +40c last week and slightly further North and inland got +45c. Somewhat different issues working outside....
Our hottest time is usually next 3 or 4 weeks; mid January to mid February. We expect a few days in the 40's even this far South in Victoria. I have seen +45 once in 2009 just before Black Saturday fires. Cant go out of the shade at this temp. Just too hot. You overheat in about 15 minutes no matter how much you drink.

Seen -25c once, picking up orange juice concentrate from cool storage. Nowhere in Australia get even close to this in Winter let alone -40!. Coldest I have seen is -5c, and I froze my ass off.
I have to experience Northern Winters one day. Will add to bucket list..

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Yep, -40F is FUCKING COLD, and +40c is fucking hot.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
We just got one day +40c last week and slightly further North and inland got +45c. Somewhat different issues working outside....
Our hottest time is usually next 3 or 4 weeks; mid January to mid February. We expect a few days in the 40's even this far South in Victoria. I have seen +45 once in 2009 just before Black Saturday fires. Cant go out of the shade at this temp. Just too hot. You overheat in about 15 minutes no matter how much you drink.

Seen -25c once, picking up orange juice concentrate from cool storage. Nowhere in Australia get even close to this in Winter let alone -40!. Coldest I have seen is -5c, and I froze my ass off.
I have to experience Northern Winters one day. Will add to bucket list..

JOW

I'll take the COLD -40C over the HOT +40C anytime.  The cold I can Gear Up for and can make a simple fire to warm up my Igloo with.  A Candle will do in a small Igloo, I've been there, done that, own the T-Shirt.  Extreme heat you are close to helpless without A/C, or copious amounts of water to bathe in that is still cool enough to cool you down.  You can only strip to bare skin when it's hot.  When it's cold, you just keep layering up.  Of course, it does get a bit difficult to move around when you pass about 5 layers.  ::)  You can supplement with Hot Rocks though .  I'll write on that at some point.

Far as the Igloo or Snow Cave goes,  it helps to have a few dogs in there with you.  More warm bodies cooks it up good.  Inside an Igloo you get up to around +40F with no fire at all no matter how cold it gets outside.  Snow is a fantastic insulator at these temps.  Shirtsleeves temps there.  Just be sure you got enough food for you and the dogs, or somebody is gonna be eating somebody else.  :o

RE
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:06:18 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 12:22:02 AM »
Here is my next 7 day forecast.   
max 33C   37C   28C   39C   42C   33C    25C
Min   14C   15C   15C   15C   25C   15C   15C
Friday is 42 and windy. That's the one to watch for fires after a hot few days leading up to it.

Beginning to think I would prefer -40 right now too.

Here is link to site we keep our eye on when fire danger is high. Interactive map is very handy and kept up to the minute:
http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

Find Melbourne and go North. You will see Wallan just before Kilmore.

This is one of the most fire prone areas in the world. Mild wet winter and springs and dry hot summers, wit abundance of Eucalyptus trees. Populations is starting to encroach more and more into fire areas, at the same time we seem to be getting wetter and hotter!

JOW

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 03:59:13 AM »
Here is my next 7 day forecast.   
max 33C   37C   28C   39C   42C   33C    25C
Min   14C   15C   15C   15C   25C   15C   15C
Friday is 42 and windy. That's the one to watch for fires after a hot few days leading up to it.

Beginning to think I would prefer -40 right now too.

Here is link to site we keep our eye on when fire danger is high. Interactive map is very handy and kept up to the minute:
http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

Find Melbourne and go North. You will see Wallan just before Kilmore.

This is one of the most fire prone areas in the world. Mild wet winter and springs and dry hot summers, wit abundance of Eucalyptus trees. Populations is starting to encroach more and more into fire areas, at the same time we seem to be getting wetter and hotter!

JOW

JOW, found this this morning...

‘It’s like hell here’: Australia bakes as record temperatures nudge 50C

Fears rise for homeless and vulnerable people as communities brace for another week of relentless hot weather

Shares
A sign warns bathers of the extreme heat on Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia.
A sign warns bathers of the extreme heat on Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia. Photograph: Torsten Blackwood/AFP/Getty Images

It was 48.9C last Tuesday in Port Augusta, South Australia, an old harbour city that now harvests solar power. Michelle Coles, the owner of the local cinema, took off her shoes at night to test the concrete before letting the dogs out. “People tend to stay at home,” she said. “They don’t walk around when it’s like this.”

It’s easy to see why: in the middle of the day it takes seconds to blister a dog’s paw or child’s foot. In Mildura, in northern Victoria, last week gardeners burned their hands when they picked up their tools, which had been left in the sun at 46C. Fish were dying in the rivers.

Almost every day last week a new heat record was broken in Australia. They spread out, unrelenting, across the country, with records broken for all kinds of reasons – as if the statistics were finding an infinite series of ways to say that it was hot.

The community of Noona – population 14 – reached the highest minimum ever recorded overnight in Australia – 35.9C was the coldest it got, at 7am on Friday. It was 45C by noon.

A record fell on Tuesday in Meekatharra in Western Australia – the highest minimum there ever recorded (33C). Another fell on Wednesday, 2,000 miles away, in Albury, New South Wales – their hottest day (45.6C).

It was 45C or higher for four consecutive days in Broken Hill – another record – and more than 40C for the same time period in Canberra, the nation’s capital. Nine records fell across NSW on Wednesday alone. Back in Port Augusta, Tuesday was the highest temperature since records began in 1962.

In the Niagara Cafe in Gundagai, whose claim to fame is that the former Australian prime minister John Curtin once popped in during the second world war, Tina Loukissas turned off the deep fryer, then the grill.

“It feels like you’ve walked into a sauna,” she said. “When it’s getting up to 43C or 44C, because you have all these machines going, the air conditioning isn’t coping very well.

“We’ve got tables outside that nobody has sat at for the last couple of days … You’d be crazy to sit outside on a day like today.”

In Mildura, Tolga Ozkuzucu, owner of Top Notch Gardens, had the misfortune to be working outdoors.

“It’s been like hell,” he said. “You have to try to leave your tools in the shade. If you don’t, it burns your fingers. There’s not much you can do.

“I try to start as early as I can. I’m not going to risk my body and health. People here are very understanding of that because they know how hot it is … nobody wants to be outside when it’s 46C.”