AuthorTopic: DEATH AND DYING FROM A SHAMANIC PERSPECTIVE  (Read 648 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
DEATH AND DYING FROM A SHAMANIC PERSPECTIVE
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »
ďLife is not measured by the breaths you take, but by its breathtaking moments.Ē -Michael Vance

In shamanism, the belief that there is no death is a concept grounded in the belief of the soul existing in a never-ending process of regeneration. Our soul remembers our ancient past, engages with our current environment, and knows our future lives. We live forever and our soul is immortal.

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2019/01/17/death-and-dying-from-a-shamanic-perspective/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH AND DYING FROM A SHAMANIC PERSPECTIVE
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:16:26 PM »
Nothing against Michael Vance, but I don't think he's the one who coined that phrase. He just repeated it. He was also known for the phrase "thinking outside the box", but that was borrowed too.

Like a lot of great speakers, he only stole from the best.

Still a good quote, though.

I'm not sure what happens when we take that last red-eye flight into what-comes-after....... but I sure do believe in death. There might be rebirth, and I personally agree with much of this author's take, but going through death is an obligatory step. And from what I have read (in the Book of The Dead) it can be really tricky.

And after most of my breathtaking moments, I prefer to take nice big draw of some fresh air.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
I must have been damn bored on the other side to have chosen this blue swamp in the 3rd for a 60 to 85 year drive by, just for shits & giggles  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »
I must have been damn bored on the other side to have chosen this blue swamp in the 3rd for a 60 to 85 year drive by, just for shits & giggles  :icon_sunny:

I expect you came here to see to somebody you knew was gonna need you. That plays, for sure.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
Nothing against Michael Vance, but I don't think he's the one who coined that phrase. He just repeated it. He was also known for the phrase "thinking outside the box", but that was borrowed too.

Like a lot of great speakers, he only stole from the best.

Still a good quote, though.

I'm not sure what happens when we take that last red-eye flight into what-comes-after....... but I sure do believe in death. There might be rebirth, and I personally agree with much of this author's take, but going through death is an obligatory step. And from what I have read (in the Book of The Dead) it can be really tricky.

I have read the TBof theD. It was supposed be read to those who just died so that their left over self would have choices about their next incarnation. It reads like a manual for taking care of you car. The key principles are you have basically 6 choices. To reenter as either in the human realm, the hungry ghost realm, or the hell realm, or could choose the less "self" realms, The deva realm ( forest dweller), or the God realm. Each having their own attributes that entices our remaining ego that is floating around, and hears this Bardo book. Oh, one of the choices is to not return. Well all of us did choose some realm obviously.
  I see people behaving in a consistent way that symbolizes one of those realms, and I wonder about the truth of the ordeal.

And after most of my breathtaking moments, I prefer to take nice big draw of some fresh air.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:20:19 PM by knarf »
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
I read it too, at least that old translation....I got the idea that the best case is to leave rebirth behind altogether. All other choices are some kind of reboot...with some being way better than others. But being reborn in a physical body is the most likely outcome for those who are not fully realized.

It is my belief that the Christian idea of the Judgment is exactly the same phenomenon described in the Bardo, just described more poorly really, in the Bible.

The idea that death holds up an all-seeing mirror, and that there is a weighing of our past actions in light of their consequences makes perfect, sublime sense to me. It just feels completely right. If it isn't that way, well then it should be, in my book.

I always hoped for a painless death in my sleep in my old age, and still sort of feel like that might be the way I go.....but some of us just get suddenly taken.

It seems sad not to get a chance to say goodbye. It's good to occasionally remember to tell the important people you love them, just for that reason.

I know my father saw his death coming for months and years, as cancer slowly took him down. He died with dignity, and on his own terms. It was quite beautiful, the way he did it.......he held it together until he no longer could, and then, in a few days, he quietly slipped away. I only hope to be half as brave.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:20:24 PM by Eddie »

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:39:39 AM »
I read it too, at least that old translation....I got the idea that the best case is to leave rebirth behind altogether. All other choices are some kind of reboot...with some being way better than others. But being reborn in a physical body is the most likely outcome for those who are not fully realized.

It is my belief that the Christian idea of the Judgment is exactly the same phenomenon described in the Bardo, just described more poorly really, in the Bible.

I see the essence of the "astral" body lingering around the corpse for about three days. I think that is how many days it is read to the dead person. "Should I stay or should I go!" The more realized a person is, they have a sparser amount of cloudy essence so it easier to float away to the void that is not empty. But the others are quite a bit denser and get closer to the realms , some choose and others are sucked down a realm tube, and incarnates as a human with that realm being their dominate realm throughout life. I feel like I got sucked down the God Realm tube until I was 13 and my mother died. At 17 I experienced total ego loss through LSD. I left the God realm and started in the Deva realm ( forest dweller realm. )

The idea that death holds up an all-seeing mirror, and that there is a weighing of our past actions in light of their consequences makes perfect, sublime sense to me. It just feels completely right. If it isn't that way, well then it should be, in my book.

In my vision of death there is no mirror just attraction or not.

I always hoped for a painless death in my sleep in my old age, and still sort of feel like that might be the way I go.....but some of us just get suddenly taken.

It seems sad not to get a chance to say goodbye. It's good to occasionally remember to tell the important people you love them, just for that reason.

I know my father saw his death coming for months and years, as cancer slowly took him down. He died with dignity, and on his own terms. It was quite beautiful, the way he did it.......he held it together until he no longer could, and then, in a few days, he quietly slipped away. I only hope to be half as brave.
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com