AuthorTopic: how little food does it take  (Read 232 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
how little food does it take
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:20:58 PM »
I've decided to do a little experiment involving storage food. This came about because as we all seem to do I stockpile some food. As my girls grow and I think of expanding my circle the issue comes up of how much food should I store and what kinds. I understand all the basics but most of it involves a sized up pantry and foods sealed for some kind of long-term storage. I get that and I have mostly followed that path for my basic stores. You pay a hefty premium for that long term food though and in my location freight can easily double that already high cost shipping time can also trip you up even in good times. Then there is the issue of what if you are new to the game? What about if a friend comes a knocking? do you divy up your mountain house freeze dried buckets or turn him down cold? What if I decided to drastically increase the amount of stored food tomorrow using what was available to me locally and store it only for relatively short term consumption? How low can you go and make it? I'm not finding many first person accounts on this, its winter and I'm bored. I've chosen corn as my test mostly due to availability. At the feed store with taxes its available for $12 canadian per 25kg bag. That works out to $.48c per kg.  Corn contains 370 calories per 100 grams. At 500 grams per day that is 1850 calories or 24 cents canadian. Even at 400 grams if you top that up with 400 calories of food stores and oils so you do not go crazy you have a full day of calories for a moderately active male. You are going to lose weight on that diet and the nutrition sucks but you live...  I've decided to try it out for a few days. Its conventional corn so GMO pesticides, herbicides yada, yada, its meant for deer so buyer beware.
To start I sorted it out to try to remove dust, gravel, straw, and already cracked pieces to try to cut down the junk.  I ground it in a ninja mixer; sort of a knock off vitamix 1/2 cup at a time for 10 seconds. The result is indistinguishable from store bought cornmeal. I'm not crazy so ill eat two meals a day of this stuff and share a diner with my girls. They already have figured out daddy is a little weird so no need to add more examples. I'll probably add some tomato paste to make it tolerable and oil. Just mash for now. I do like polenta though so maybe later. I'll get back as this moves ahead. not every day probably... I would love any links people have of something similar or experiments they have run.
Cheers, 
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: how little food does it take
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
I've decided to do a little experiment involving storage food. This came about because as we all seem to do I stockpile some food. As my girls grow and I think of expanding my circle the issue comes up of how much food should I store and what kinds. I understand all the basics but most of it involves a sized up pantry and foods sealed for some kind of long-term storage. I get that and I have mostly followed that path for my basic stores. You pay a hefty premium for that long term food though and in my location freight can easily double that already high cost shipping time can also trip you up even in good times. Then there is the issue of what if you are new to the game? What about if a friend comes a knocking? do you divy up your mountain house freeze dried buckets or turn him down cold? What if I decided to drastically increase the amount of stored food tomorrow using what was available to me locally and store it only for relatively short term consumption? How low can you go and make it? I'm not finding many first person accounts on this, its winter and I'm bored. I've chosen corn as my test mostly due to availability. At the feed store with taxes its available for $12 canadian per 25kg bag. That works out to $.48c per kg.  Corn contains 370 calories per 100 grams. At 500 grams per day that is 1850 calories or 24 cents canadian. Even at 400 grams if you top that up with 400 calories of food stores and oils so you do not go crazy you have a full day of calories for a moderately active male. You are going to lose weight on that diet and the nutrition sucks but you live...  I've decided to try it out for a few days. Its conventional corn so GMO pesticides, herbicides yada, yada, its meant for deer so buyer beware.
To start I sorted it out to try to remove dust, gravel, straw, and already cracked pieces to try to cut down the junk.  I ground it in a ninja mixer; sort of a knock off vitamix 1/2 cup at a time for 10 seconds. The result is indistinguishable from store bought cornmeal. I'm not crazy so ill eat two meals a day of this stuff and share a diner with my girls. They already have figured out daddy is a little weird so no need to add more examples. I'll probably add some tomato paste to make it tolerable and oil. Just mash for now. I do like polenta though so maybe later. I'll get back as this moves ahead. not every day probably... I would love any links people have of something similar or experiments they have run.
Cheers,

One word immediately came to mind...Pellegra. I'm from the South, and we've already tried this diet, and the problems are well known. Be mindful.

If you tried to survive on a diet of nothing but corn you'd soon die of malnutrition, initially succumbing to diarrhea and mental deficiencies, depression, skin lesions and over a longer period of time, developing full-blown pellagra due to a lack of niacian/Vitamin B3. The best guess (based on pig studies) is that you'd be dead within 6-8 months and incapable of self-care within about 4 months.

That being said, you could stave off these complications by synthesising a simple niacin supplement, something that even a first year chemistry student should be able to accomplish with a $20 home-chemistry set so the short answer is yes, with a few vitamin supplements added to their diet, you could feed a family indefinitely on nothing but corn.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111127/could-people-be-healthy-eating-a-diet-of-nothing-but-corn-as-shown-in-interste
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »
Cheers,

One word immediately came to mind...Pellegra. I'm from the South, and we've already tried this diet, and the problems are well known. Be mindful.

If you tried to survive on a diet of nothing but corn you'd soon die of malnutrition, initially succumbing to diarrhea and mental deficiencies, depression, skin lesions and over a longer period of time, developing full-blown pellagra due to a lack of niacian/Vitamin B3. The best guess (based on pig studies) is that you'd be dead within 6-8 months and incapable of self-care within about 4 months.

That being said, you could stave off these complications by synthesising a simple niacin supplement, something that even a first year chemistry student should be able to accomplish with a $20 home-chemistry set so the short answer is yes, with a few vitamin supplements added to their diet, you could feed a family indefinitely on nothing but corn.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111127/could-people-be-healthy-eating-a-diet-of-nothing-but-corn-as-shown-in-interste
I won't go crazy and its for a short duration test... But thank you for the links and insight.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
Rice, Beans, Teriyaki Beef Jerky, Vitamins.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
C-5 has many thoughts on this and a lot of great links to others' thoughts.
I think he highlighted Bison Prepper. The guy has a 5 year supply of calories.
I myself have a 1 year supply (currently for 5 people) of rice, beans, wheat, cornmeal, more beans, etc. I used 2300 cal a day. That way active males will have a little more and smaller women/kids could still have enough. Some of those calories I would share with my neighbors. ;) But as Bison Prepper has pointed out this should be a "rainy day" fund kinda thing. You want to grow most of what you eat and the stored food just is a reserve for when crops fail, bugs get your tomatoes, neighbors "borrow" your corn plants, etc.
Can't say I like everything Bison Prepper writes, but some of it is spot on.
http://bisonprepper.blogspot.com/
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
Best way to eat cornmeal is as corn bread, especially if you addendum it up with onions, fresh greens or meat. this got me on the doomstead diner board.

https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2018/03/14/season-ii-c5-serves-cock-favored-soup-doomstead-dining-on-survival-food-storage-home-at-the-dark-green-mountain/

The general rule is "Store what you eat. Eat what you store". That way you are constantly rotating it so you dont need a 25 year shelf life.

If you want real long term,   https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/06/09/c5-presents-the-worlds-most-boring-survival-advice-also-the-best/

Dont buy the expensive survival foods. waste o money. Just buy when things are on super sale in the half price range. The pantry grows quik.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
C-5 has many thoughts on this and a lot of great links to others' thoughts.
I think he highlighted Bison Prepper. The guy has a 5 year supply of calories.
I myself have a 1 year supply (currently for 5 people) of rice, beans, wheat, cornmeal, more beans, etc. I used 2300 cal a day. That way active males will have a little more and smaller women/kids could still have enough. Some of those calories I would share with my neighbors. ;) But as Bison Prepper has pointed out this should be a "rainy day" fund kinda thing. You want to grow most of what you eat and the stored food just is a reserve for when crops fail, bugs get your tomatoes, neighbors "borrow" your corn plants, etc.
Can't say I like everything Bison Prepper writes, but some of it is spot on.
http://bisonprepper.blogspot.com/
AJ
I like his 4 plan system. His food stuff seems solid the rest is... well not my style.