PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🥘 The Cooking Zone

AuthorTopic: 🥘 The Cooking Zone  (Read 5782 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Holy Meal
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2019, 05:29:14 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard, microphone & camera of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner April 6, 2019

Discuss this Video at the Cooking Zone inside the Diner

The weather finally broke here on the Last Great Frontier of Alaska, and Spring finally forced Winter to release his Icy Grip on our beautiful and sparsely populated state.  Most of the snow and ice has melted off now (at last!), and this week we had our first day where it was truly comfortable for me to go outside, a balmy 39F, as well as reasonably safe with no ice on my Cripple Ramp out onto the back porch to slip on, fall, and then lie freezing to death as a helpless cripple.  For me, this meant only one thing, it was time for the 1st BBQ of the season!  After a full winter of all indoor cooking, especially with the new culinary adventure of the Cooking Zone, I was MORE than ready for a nice JUICY ribeye done on the grill in the Great Outdoors.  Of course, my back porch is not exactly the Bush of Alaska, but for the 1st BBQ of the season, it's perfectly serviceable.

Image result for 154-04 beech ave flushing 11355 I resolved also to do this BBQ in the TRADITIONAL fashion (traditional for me).  That meant doing the BBQ the same way I did them when I moved back to the FSoA at the age of 10 after living in Brazil, and did my first BBQ in back of MY HOUSE, the house I lived in with my mom and my sister until I went off to College at Columbia.  It didn't have much of a backyard, in fact not much bigger than the one I have now behind my humble digs here in Palmer, Alaska.

Traditional meant the meal would consist of the STEAK with SAUTEED MUSHROOMS IN GARLIC and a BAKED POTATO loaded with BUTTER & SOUR CREAM.  I stuck to this menu religiously, no variation there.  Also no variation in the Cooking Method, none of the fancy newfangled methods I have been experimenting with lately for the Cooking Zone show like Sous Vide or Instapot Pressure Cooking.  The Instapot was GREAT with the Corned Beef & Cabbage I made for St. Paddy's Day this year, but for a Ribeye Steak it just wouldn't do.  Ribeye is a very tender cut of meat best served (IMHO) RARE, while Brisket used for Corned Beef is quite tough unless you cook it a long time or under pressure, and is Well Done at the finish.  For those of you who missed it, here is the Cook on the Great St. Paddy's Day 2019 Corned Beef & Cabbage:

This Corned Beef turned out so good I ate all 2.5 lbs of the Brisket in 3 days, for nearly a pound of BEEF every day.  For a person with a normal appetite that is a LOT, for me with my depressed appetite since the accident it is unheard of.  I wasso enthused about it I bought 3 MOAR Briskets which I dropped in the Freezer to eat on some other occasions BESIDES just once a year on St. Paddy's Day.

For the Ribeye though, I stuck mostly to the Traditional method, with a couple of slight variations.

The first was that this was not a brand spanking new Ribeye straight from the Chicago Feed Lots, It was a Ribeye from my Preps, vacuum sealed and in the Freezer for at least the last 5 years, since I haven't done any new Vacuum Sealing of meat since I moved into the new digs around 4 years ago, and this predates that move by at least a year although I neglected to date my prep food packages at that time.  So this meal also became a test of just how long a frozen & vaccum sealed piece of meat would last for after SHTF Day arrives, assuming of course you have enough JUICE to keep your freezer running.  A medium size Solar Array off grid will be enough for this task though.

The 2nd variation from tradition I will leave a Mystery, you will need to watch the video to find out what that one is.  If you have been following the Cooking Zone and the SNAP Card Gourmet though, you probably won't be too surprised to find out what it is.

Finally,why do I call this "The Holy Meal"?  Well, that's because if I do get sufficient warning of my final meeting with the Grim Reaper bearing my First Class Ticket to the Great Beyond, this is the meal I will have for my LAST SUPPER.  It holds so much meaning for me, my history with cooking food and all the places I made this meal stick in my mind, from backyards in the many places I lived, to Truckstop parking lots where I pulled my Hibachi out of my Freightliner to make a BBQ, out to the Bush of Alaska before I was transformed into a Cripple.  Besides, it tastes GREAT!

Image result for the last supper

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tasty, Nutritious, Versatile & CHEAP: Cajun (Dirty) Rice
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2019, 05:28:58 AM »

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner April 7, 2019

Discuss this Vidcast at the The Cooking Zone Inside the Diner

This may be my Favorite Recipe for serving up a great meal cheap on a SNAP Card Budget.  Full of Flavor and you can cook up the whole meal on a one-burner Bugout Electric Hot Plate.  It also keeps well in the fridge or a cooler, and microwaves well too without much loss of flavor or texture.  Good for a week in the cooler, and much longer if you freeze it.

There is no "fixed" set of ingredients for Dirty Rice, for the meat you use whatever you have available.  If it's Ground Beef or Ground Sausage, great and that will suit the typical Western palate these days, but you can use any meat at all for this, including but not limited to frogs, turtles snakes and alligators, or various gizzards like liver, heart,pancreas and I was recently informed by FarmGal even lungs can be made pretty tasty.  Haven't tried that myself yet though.  Also Roadkill is an option (the 2nd to last resort though).

Veggies are also mostly optional, although without the Holy Trinity of Celery, Onions & Green Bell Peppers you've drifted pretty far out from traditional Dirty Rice.  One ingredient you can't dispense with though is the rice. lol.

This vid also incorporates a discussion of best cookware types to bring along on a Bugout and a more extensive than usual accounting of costs on the meal.  Important factors as you plan for SHTF Day.  Further recipes utilizing Dirty Rice will be coming in the bye & bye as well.  Terrific for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, or even as a Midnight Munchy.

Don't miss tomorrow's Collapse Cafe, Brexit Bullshit Deja Vu all Over again with Jason Heppenstall

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fried Rice - A Vegan's Wet Dream
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2019, 06:23:29 AM »

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner April 20, 2019

Discuss this Vidcast at the The Cooking Zone Inside the Diner

Also known as a Vegan's Wet Dream, fried rice is an Asian staple, and also a staple at the hot food counter in the Food Superstores of the FSoA.  However, most Amerikans don't cook fried rice (or "flied lice" as the Middle Kingdom dwellers pronounce it) at home, despite the fact it's a very EZ dish to prepare and really will spruce up any meal as a side dish.

You can put just about anything into your Flied Lice (including Roadkill), and it certainly doesn't have to be all Vegan, although this recipe is.  Pork, Chicken and Shrimp ae all popular additions to throw into your Fried Rice. I always worry I don't do enough Vegan recipes because I am a Meatosaurus and most of my favorite dishes contain animal protein & fat of one sort or the other.  So this was a good oportunity to do an all-Vegan dish I really like, which is also cheap and versatile and microwaves well when you make up a batch larger than you can eat at one sitting, which I almost always do.  You just can't do any proper cooking for one person in small amounts, one of the reasons eating is generally a communal affair.

In many respects fried rice is quite similar to the Cajun(Dirty) Rice recipe I did the cook for a couple of weeks ago, the main difference being the type of spices and sauces you use and the fact Cajun Rice is heavy on the meats.  You can't do Cajun Rice without meat, but you can do Fried Rice without meat.

In the video we also discuss the food-related collapse issues of food currently being shipped over long distances, availability (or lack thereof) of various veggies after SHTF Day arrives at your doorstep and the exorbitant price of Veggies (already!), among othe collapse topics.

Stock up on RICE!  The rice I used for this recipe is minimum 5 years old, it might be a decade old.  I didn't date my preps back then.  Still fine, not even Vacuum Sealed (though I recommend this).  Also recommended are good 55 Gallon Steel Drums, which nothing is getting into besides maybe water, but you can wax-seal them and make them pretty impervious to that also. No rodent infiltration in my stash for this one though, no weird fungi growing, nada, just good old rice.  Very old. lol.

For the veggies, get those permie gardens going, or some hydroponics.  For the meat (if you wanna add some), get practicing with your sling to nail some pidgeons and chipmunks.  It will taste just like the stuff from the takeout counter of the local Chinese restaurant or Food Superstore.   Eat well in Collapse!

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cooking Crustaceans in Collapse
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2019, 05:11:38 AM »

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner April 27, 2019

Discuss this Video at the Cooking Zone Table inside the Diner

Related image It's doubtful I could find any other Premium Meal easier to cook up while on a Bugout or living out of your van after losing your home to foreclosure after having your job as an IT developer outsourced to India than this one.  It's premium because it does come in above the general SNAP Card budget of $5/day, but if you watch your pennies all week and stay under budget, you can afford it as a special "Fish Friday" meal. 🙂  This meal came in around $7, but I keep it simple with no veggie, just the fish.  I could have added a Baked Potato for another $.50, but I wasn't that hungry so I dispensed with that.

Our Crustacean for the day to consume is not the expected Alaska King Crab since I film these shows here on the Last Great Frontier, but rather a tasty treat from the Right Coast, a Maine Lobster tail!  I would have preferred a full live Maine Lobster to cook up, but you can't get them here in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley.  So no Claw Meat 🙁 which is my favorite.

Since the cook is so EZ, most of what is interesting in this video (if anything) are the collapse related factoids I dish out while watching the pot boil. lol.  Anyhow, this one is short @ 12 minutes, so you won't be bored for too long.

Huge Main Lobster Claws ON SALE at Costco!

Image result for costco big lobster claw

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner May 2, 2019

Discuss this Video at the Cooking Zone Table inside the Diner

I decided to move my Cooking Zone videos from Saturdays to midweek, because 2 days in a row of RE vids with the Morning Collapse Wake-Up Call that comes on Sundays is probably a little much for anybody, except my most rabid fan club and there aren't too many of those folks.  Maybe 20 or so.  lol.  Also, Breakfasts are a weekday thing before school or work, on weekends you are too hung over for breakfast and even the thought of food at 6 AM is nauseating.  Weekends are the time to sleep in and then have BRUNCH!  Also if you are still employed to go OUT to eat rather than slaving over the stove to do it yourself.  Plus, you never can get the variety at home that you can get in a good Brunch Buffet.

Image result for brunch buffet

Go to a Buffet, you can have Quiche, Pancakes, Fresh Fruit, your choice of Breakfast Meats…etc, etc, etc.  Who's going to fix all that great stuff at home when you are hung over?  NOBODY!  However, even with bloodshot eyes, you can do a decent job with leftover Spaghetti and Scrambled Eggs.

This is not to say either one of these dishes is Super EZ like Boiling an Egg, both have tricks to them that can turn them from a crummy meal you will puke up with microwaved spaghetti and dried out or runny scrambled eggs (neither of which are all that pleasnt to eat) into a meal fit for an Oligarch!  In today's Cooking Zone I will give you the tips and tricks necessary for cooking up Scrambled Eggs and Fried Spaghetti at a Breakfast Buffet that the patrons would zoom past the Buttermilk Pancakes, Bacon and Quiche Lorraine to get to before they ran out.

As a Bonus on the financial level if you lost your home to foreclosure and are living out of your Stealth Van, this breakfast is easily prepared using your Electric Hotplate bugout cooking apparatus, and it comes in SUPER CHEAP, about $1 out of your SNAP Card Breakfast Budget of $1.66/day.  So that leaves over $0.66 to save for your Premium Meals at the end of the month, celebrating another month of SURVIVAL in a world gone to shit.

RE's Stealth Van SaVANnah at his favorite Bugout Location in Alaska

Coming Next Week to the Cooking Zone

Sous-Vide Short Ribs with Cabernet Sauce & Portabella Mushrooms without the fancy Sous-Vide Cooking Apparatus

Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: 🥘 The Cooking Zone
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2019, 01:50:18 AM »
Here is a cheap, quick and very easy recipe which is delicious!
My wife cooked it 2 days ago and myself and my son wolfed it down.
Was very filling and tasty, and we are big eaters.
It makes 4 generous servings at less than $2 a serve. Even less for us as we grew our own garlic, basil and chillies. Will plant eggplant next season I think!

Pasta Alla-Norma (Mrs JOW Style)
Add 5 Table spoons of olive oil add 1 large egg plant diced, skin on, in 1cm cubes to a fry pan and cook through for 10 min. ($3.00 including oil)
Add 4 crushed crushed garlic cloves and a couple of chopped hot chillies.  ($1.50)
Add 2 cans whole tomatoes (Or fresh if available) and cook through until eggplant is soft. ($1.50)
Season to taste and once cooked, turn off heat and stir through a finely chopped bunch of basil. (1.00)
Serve on your favourite pasta. ($0.50)

If you are not penny pinching, I think would also be excellent with some mussels and black olives and maybe even a bit of bacon!
Enjoy.

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2019, 02:44:57 AM »
Here is a cheap, quick and very easy recipe which is delicious!
My wife cooked it 2 days ago and myself and my son wolfed it down.
Was very filling and tasty, and we are big eaters.
It makes 4 generous servings at less than $2 a serve. Even less for us as we grew our own garlic, basil and chillies. Will plant eggplant next season I think!

Pasta Alla-Norma (Mrs JOW Style)
Add 5 Table spoons of olive oil add 1 large egg plant diced, skin on, in 1cm cubes to a fry pan and cook through for 10 min. ($3.00 including oil)
Add 4 crushed crushed garlic cloves and a couple of chopped hot chillies.  ($1.50)
Add 2 cans whole tomatoes (Or fresh if available) and cook through until eggplant is soft. ($1.50)
Season to taste and once cooked, turn off heat and stir through a finely chopped bunch of basil. (1.00)
Serve on your favourite pasta. ($0.50)

If you are not penny pinching, I think would also be excellent with some mussels and black olives and maybe even a bit of bacon!
Enjoy.

JOW

Gr8 recipe thx!  :icon_sunny:

I love eggplant, especially Moussaka and Eggplant Parmigiana.  I'll put it on my to-do list when I feel like doing a Vegan dish.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sous-Vide Short Ribs with Portabella Mushroom Teriyaki-Cabernet Sauce
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2019, 06:09:49 AM »

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner May 9, 2019

Discuss this Video at the Cooking Zone Table Inside the Diner

A few weeks ago I became enthused with a relatively new cooking method, Sous-Vide.  It's mainly used for cooking meats, maintaining them at the ideal temperature for developing the amount of "doneness" you like, be it rare,medium rare, medium, medium welldone or welldone.  If you like your meat well done, you can skip these vids,  just throw it over the heat until it has the texture of leather.  Bleccch!  I refused to cook any piece of meat well done my whole life, the only times they came out like that was by accident, I got distracted or something during the cook.

Sous Vide offered the opportunity to get a perfectly done piece of meat every time, with a lot of latitude on the cook times so getting distracted while cooking is not an issue.  Using really long cook times, you can tenderize tougher cuts of meat, much as you would on the BBQ cooking "low & slow".  However, that method generally only works with cuts like ribs, which you cook to well done.  Similar with cooking Brisket as Corned Beef or Pastrami, again you cook long but the meat is well done at the end.  I wanted rare meat at the end of the cook, which I prefer, but also tenderized for the tough cuts.

Image result for sous vide The issue with Sous Vide is that generally it takes an immersion heater that thermostatically keeps the water bath at a constant temperature for the entire cook.  The devices have been pretty epensive, $100-$200 in price, and when I started these experiments I didn't have one. Got one now though, ON SALE from Jeff Bozos at Amazon for $90. 🙂  Great electric cooking device, lightweight and small and now one of my package of Electric Bugout Cooking Apparatus preps.

In this video and cook though, we do things with traditional equipment, Cast Iron cookware over a typical gas range.  Controlling the heat here and getting it to hold at the right temperature is pretty tricky though, even for a trained biochemist like myself.  I wouldn't recommend it for the average cook, I don't even recommend it for myself because it's such a hassle to set it up.  The Sous Vide apparatus is getting cheap enough now so it should be affordable for most people who haven't yet fallen off the economic cliff.  When Black Friday rolls around, I'll bet you can pick one up on Amazon for $50, unless of course trade with China is completely fucked up by El POTUS, Donalditry Trumpovetsky.

The results are fantastic, with every cut of meat I have tried thus far.  It doesn' obviate all the traditional methods, but is a great addition to them.  Once you try it, you'll be addicted to it.  At least you will if you are a Meatosaurus and not a Vegan.

Eat well in collapse.  You'll need the energy.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:35:18 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A SNAP Card Gourmet Brunch
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:48 AM »

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner May 16, 2019

After last weeks Sous Vide Short Ribs with Portabella Mushrooms in Cabernet-Teriyaki sauce, I figured a Breakfast meal this week would be a good choice.  The Breakfast ended up turning into a Brunch though, because I was pretty hungry and decided to smush my Breakfast & Lunch meals together as a "Brunch".  I do this pretty often because really 2 fairly normal size meals is quite enough for me to eat in a day, I don't need 3 of them.  I also don't need to spend the time with prep and cleanup 3 times a day either!  In fact, ONE meal that is worthy of posting up the cook on here on the Cooking Zone is generally more than I can eat in a day and I get stuck with endlessly piling up leftovers!  A piece of advice: If you are going to do an internet Cooking Show, it's a good idea to have a family or a supply of friends to eat what you cook up for the show!  As a Solitary Man, I don't have all those other people to consume the edibles, so I gotta eat as much of it myself as I can.  Most decent dishes you can't really cook up for just one person.  The quantities the food is sold in for one thing makes it about impossible, but there are other reasons also.  You can't make a good stew for instance in a quantity of one meal for one person.  A minimum size for a stew would be about 4 servings, but even that is pretty tight.  More like 6-8 to be a reasonable stew cook.

I do try to adapt though and utilize my leftovers in creative ways, in this case one of the dishes incorporated into the Brunch was made from leftover Dirty Rice, the Stuffed Peppers.  Not a leftover but EZ, cheap and quick to cook up, Scrambled Eggs.  Eggs are just about a requisite item to include in any Brunch menu, and in this case I wanted to hand off some tips on making really good scrambled eggs, which is slightly harder than boiling an egg to do right.  Unfortunately, my camera quit on me during this portion of the vid, so you got the scrambled eggs without seeing how they were done.  I made up for this later by doing scrambled eggs for another breakfast meal though.

As always, as long as you haven't fallen COMPLETELY off the economic cliff and/or you're eligible for a SNAP Card, eating well here in the FSoA right now is mainly a matter of choosing your foods wisely and not buying tons of junk food.  In this episode, I do go over in detail what everything costs, and really it's no problem staying under the SNAP Card budget, even including some Blueberries and Razzberies, which are pretty pricy items by the pound, but you don't eaat that many of them in one meal and they last at least 2 weeks in the fridge fresh.  Frozen ones, obviously longer and they come in cheaper too.  However, the frozen ones are only really good in stuff like pancakes or pies, not just defrosting them and then eating.  You need to cook them in some way.

Next week, we'll do another Instapot Pressure Cooker Dinner meal, this time with a super cheap (as beef goes) cut of meat, a Chuck Roast.  Besides the Brisket, so far this is the only other cheap cut of meat I have done in the Instapot.  I may try some Pork Baby Back Ribs next, although I like them smoked so much it's hard to take a whole rack and drop them in the Instapot instead.  May have to wait until I am snowed in again and can't go outside to the porch to do the smoking for that one.

Otherwise, don't miss Sunday's Collapse Morning Wake-Up Call for the discussion of the situation in Sudan and other Geopolitical clusterfucks, as well as a discussion of the ever expanding Student Loan debacle.  I'm joined by my old co-host from the Collapse Cafe, Monsta checking in from Jolly Old England. 🙂

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Home Fries: Collapse Breakfast Energy Food on a Budget
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner May 23, 2019

Another Breakfast dish this week from the Cooking  Zone of the Diner, but NOT eggs this time! lol.  today's breakfast potatoes are fixed as Home Fries, which should not be confused with hash browns which are also good, but not prepared the same way.  Home fries were my favorite from my youth, and one of the first things I learned to cook as a breakfast food, along with leftover fried spaghett, which I covered in a previous Cooking Zone episode.

Image result for potato tower Besides being high in energy content and cheap, potatoes are one of the best veggies to grow yourself in the garden or even on your porch if you live in an urban or suburban environement.  You can use a "Potato Tower" and get a greater density of potatoes per square foot than you would get with more traditional gardening methods.

Image result for alaska Grown Besides the advantages of having a high energy content in calories and being able to easily grow them at home, they also grow well in a wide variety of locations.  Along with Carrots,Alaska Grown Ptatoes are the crop most grown up here commercially, and even though they come in a little more expensive (not much, because potatoes are generally a cheap vegetable to buy), I buy them to support Alaska farmers.

You do need to grow Onions also for the Home Fries, but all the Root vegetables do well up here.

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which Walkabout Diner does this Guest Chef Look Like?
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
And sound like too!  lol.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iC5mR5s70bE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iC5mR5s70bE</a>

Gotta try this recipe.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
Ooh, ooh, I know!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥘 Chef Eddie Lookalike Texas Chili
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »
It keeps you warm, but it's not great for sandbagging or boarding up your windows.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nPItJS1gtVY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nPItJS1gtVY</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Townsend Back from the Past with 18th Century Spruce beer!

Unfortunately, not available tonight at the Solstice Feast.  :(

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RgLC_DRd2cg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RgLC_DRd2cg</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 & 🍳 I just ate the greatest Steak & Eggs of ALL TIME!
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2019, 04:30:51 AM »
1 egg over medium, 1 egg scrambled.  Onions and Mushrooms sauteed in Butter & Garlic.  Fillet Mignon Sous Vide overnight for maximum tenderness and perfect done-ness to Medium Rare.
Garnished with Parsley.

I uploaded a 2000px version for maximum clarity.  Be sure to click (twice, also click the full screen icon after the first click) to fully appreciate this Breakfast MASTERPIECE!  Well, you can't fully appreciate it without atually chowing down on it, but trust me, it tasted as good as it looks. 😋

Steak Eggs 2
Steak Eggs 2

Steak Eggs 1
Steak Eggs 1

RE
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:47:07 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can