PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🥘 The Cooking Zone

AuthorTopic: 🥘 The Cooking Zone  (Read 16648 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🥘 The Cooking Zone
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
]<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKCA3Udizi8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vKCA3Udizi8&fs=1</a>
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special of the Week
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2020, 08:43:43 AM »
We've gone through Beef Week, Vegan Week & Pig Week so far, bet you were wondering what this week's Diner Specials would feature!  It's FISH WEEK! 🐟   :icon_sunny:

Starting off the week, we're featuring a real NY Style Bagel & Lox for Breakfast.  It's got all the X-tras!  Everything Bagel, Chive Cream Cheese, Tomato, Red Onion, Capers and Cold Smoked Nova Scotia Salmon! 😋

OK, the Bagel is not as good as the one from the 1st Ave Bagel Shop and the Lox is not as good as the Lox from the 2nd Ave Deli, but the Cream Cheese, Tomato & Red Onion are just as good!

click the pic to enlarge
Bagel Lox
Bagel Lox

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
]<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKCA3Udizi8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vKCA3Udizi8&fs=1</a>

Now THAT's a cooking segment!

Major takeaway: don't run an E-Z-Bake oven made for a 100 watt bulb with a 60 watt bulb.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special of the Week
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »
It's Fish Friday of Fish Week here at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:  So we're having Fish for Appetizer & Main Course!  The only difference is the Batayaki has Ginger & Sesame Oil and the Scampi has Lemon, Parmesan & Parsley.  They are both LOADED with Garlic as a prophylaxis against Coronavirus.  :icon_sunny:  Lotsa Butter too!  Gotta have the FAT!

Scallops & Shrimp Batayaki with Zucchini & Squash
Scallops Shrimp Batayaki
Scallops Shrimp Batayaki

Shrimp & Scallop Scampi over Linguine
Shrimp Scallop Scampi
Shrimp Scallop Scampi
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:10:07 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special of the Week
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2020, 05:45:23 AM »
Finishing up Fish Week on the Diner with our Lunch (or Brunch, since it's Sunday) Special,  a Tuna Sandwich!   :icon_sunny:

This sandwich was a regular feature of my Brown Bag lunches during my Skule years but it has seen a LOT of evolution since then.

The original Tuna sandwiches were fixed by my Mom, and she basically just forked it out of the can, added some Mayo and mixed it some.  It was still pretty Chunky and dry in spots.  I took over the job of fixing my own Tuna Sandwiches around the age of 10-11 after returning from Brazil.

First improvement was to do a better BLENDING job and crush up the Tuna with the Mayo so you get a more smooth texture throughout.  Then there were Bread improvements, which started with of course Wonder Bread, which tasted like Cardboard.  Well, it doesn't exist anymore (thank God!)  but there still are some really disgusting and tasteless breads sold in your local Food Superstores.  In this case, I used a pretty decent Everything Bagel from a local Alaska Baking Company.

I have added other ingredients to the mixture in the years since as well.  Now I add some Balsamic Vinegar and Fresh Squeezed Lemon, this takes away the "Fishiness" and give it a sort of Sweet & Sour taste.  I also add quite a bit of pepper to the mix now as well.

The BIGGEST change in recent years is I now have a Mini Food Processesor to do the blending so I don't have to do it by hand anymore.  I couldn't do it by hand now to my own satisfaction anyhow, but the machine is a HUGE improvement over what I did by hand even when the arms worked right.

Also blended in now is finely chopped Celery and Red Onion.  I gotta chop it up fine with a Knife now because I don't have the Teeth anymore to do a good chewing job, due to Malpractice by Criminal Racketeer Dentists who destroyed my teeth so they could play Golf at the local Country Club.

Albacore Tuna on Everything Bagel
Tuna Bagel
Tuna Bagel

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special of the Week
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »
It's Baby Lamb Week here on the Diner!  :icon_sunny:  This week for Dinner we are Featuring Loin Lamb Chops with Mushrooms, Garlic (of course) and Rosemary simmered in Irish Butter.  Jake did the Vegetable Medley and a Side Salad with a Balsamic Vinagarette dressing.

Lamb Loin Chops
Lamb Loin Chops

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2020, 02:57:41 PM »
Looks pretty good.

Growing up in redneck East Texas I never ate lamb as a kid.....but now I enjoy the occasional rack of lamb....and kabobs....and it's nice to blend with beef for meatloaf.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2020, 03:30:55 PM »
Looks pretty good.

Growing up in redneck East Texas I never ate lamb as a kid.....but now I enjoy the occasional rack of lamb....and kabobs....and it's nice to blend with beef for meatloaf.

As a kid, my favorite was "Baby Lamb Chops", which is a Rack of Lamb cut up into the individual rib sections.  Loin Chops taste just about the same, but come in at about 30% of the price of a Rack of Lamb.  Still cheaper s Leg of Lamb, which makes a very good stew with a different flavor than Beef stew.  Lamb shoulder chops are the cheapest of the chop variety, but still pretty good if properly cooked.  IMHO, Lamb is better if more "well done" than beef.  I usually cook lamb to Medium Well, whereas Beef I cook very Rare.  That is a matter of personal taste though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special of the Week
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2020, 04:51:46 AM »
Leftover Baa-Baa for Breakfast Meat today!   :icon_sunny:

Lamb Egg
Lamb Egg

Lamb is great Breakfast Meat because it re-heats really well, either in the Nuke or in a pan with Butter.  I cook it Medium-Rare to eat first, after the re-heating it ends up Medium-Well, but it's not much different either way.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Sunday Brunch Special of the Week
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »
Our final dead flesh of baby sheep meal of the week,  Lamb Stew with Baa-Baa slow cooked with Root Veggies and Mushrooms and then seasoned up with my own Secret Blend of Herbs & Spices.   :icon_sunny:

A very friendly meal for the Toothless, and very tasty.  Only problem is I have so much of it if I don't find somebody to give it to I will be sick of Lamb Stew by the end of next week.

Lamb Stew
Lamb Stew
Lamb Stew

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
I am grilling.....I have made a salad this morning and the steaks are marinading. I boiled up some corn on the cob. I have some Brussel sprouts I will grille with the steaks.

Sam's club was very thin on meat yesterday. I couldn't get my regular tenderloins...had to settle for some 2nd rate over-trimmed sirloin. They were also nearly out of produce.

They still have plenty of beer and wine. And I got bleach and paper towels and TP.....lol.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
No Diner Special this week.  :(  I am having a lot of problems again with eating.  A few bites of anything makes me incredibly nauseous.  I just do not want to even try to eat because it makes me feel so bad.  I was doing pretty good, keeping at my Set Point of 155 lbs.  But now I have dropped again. Down to 152.

I am trying to force the food down my throat.  It has to be super bland.  Here is my current diet to try and keep going here.  Oatmeal and a Buttered Bagel.  Not exactly Gourmet, but I can keep it down, although I still have to lay down for the first hour of the digestion process and it is not pleasant.

Oatmeal
Oatmeal

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍄 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special of the Week
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »
It's Mushroom 🍄 week her on the Diner!  :icon_sunny:  Kicking off with Cream of Mushroom 🍄 Soup for Lunch.  Lots of Fresh Shrooms 🍄 in there, with some Basil & Garlic (of course) also.  Good Potassium and also Vegan Friendly!  :icon_sunny:

Mushroom Soup
Mushroom Soup

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍄 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special of the Week
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
Our Breakfast Special  this Week is a Mushroom-Swiss Cheese Omelet.  :icon_sunny:  Another Vegan Friendly dish too!

Besides the Mushrooms and the Swiss Cheese, the Omelet also features Red Onion and (of course) GARLIC!!!!  I am convinced Garlic is the secret to fighting off COVID-19.  :icon_sunny:

Mushroom Omelet
Mushroom Omelet

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥪 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special of the Week #2
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »
It's still Mushroom🍄 Week here on the Diner, but due to the discussion in another thread, I decide to fix a Tuna Sandwich on a Garlic Toasted Mini-Bagel to go with my Leftover Mushroom Soup (also Garlic Loaded  ;D )

Tuna Mini Bagel
Tuna Mini Bagel

I'm still working my way through the Mushroom (with Garlic) Omelet  Had a little more of that for Breakfast.

RE
Save As Many As You Can