AuthorTopic: The Adapters Movement 1 - In Four Parts  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Adapters Movement 1 - In Four Parts
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 05:27:45 AM »
I read part 4 a few days ago when C-5 had just put it up on his website. Don't know what to say but I'm depressed as hell since then. No way out. I'll never have enough food or be able to grow enough. I should just shut up and drink myself to oblivion. Don't know what I will do when 2 or 3 relatives (and their kids and pets) show up after the SHTF. Maybe just shuffle some deck chairs as I watch the ship go down. Between Survival Acres and Arctic New 2019 AND C-5 there is nowhere to go but DOWN. AND DOWN FAST.
Hope you all have a nice and happy day here in Doom :icon_mrgreen:
AJ

I fully understand....but there are two sides to everything. Do the best you can to do what you think you can reasonably do, and live in the present moment. We are after all, living in a moment of plenty, right here, right now. To sacrifice your sense of well-being to imagined future hardship, however likely, is clearly a mistake.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 06:54:47 AM »
I read part 4 a few days ago when C-5 had just put it up on his website. Don't know what to say but I'm depressed as hell since then. No way out. I'll never have enough food or be able to grow enough. I should just shut up and drink myself to oblivion. Don't know what I will do when 2 or 3 relatives (and their kids and pets) show up after the SHTF. Maybe just shuffle some deck chairs as I watch the ship go down. Between Survival Acres and Arctic New 2019 AND C-5 there is nowhere to go but DOWN. AND DOWN FAST.
Hope you all have a nice and happy day here in Doom :icon_mrgreen:
AJ

I fully understand....but there are two sides to everything. Do the best you can to do what you think you can reasonably do, and live in the present moment. We are after all, living in a moment of plenty, right here, right now. To sacrifice your sense of well-being to imagined future hardship, however likely, is clearly a mistake.
Collapse depression. Now there is a topic to cover.  As an inspirational quote I always liked this one:
You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up... Chuck Yeager

Keeps me going.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:11:05 AM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 02:03:22 PM »
I call them the Four Horsemen of Collapse. We agree on the problem set. What we don't know is the timing, or which horseman will be the one that sends us over the edge from slow collapse, which is ongoing, to a more rapid collapse, which I do expect, but which I expect to take longer than most people think. It's still an unknown. No doubt we are close. But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, as an old friend of mine used to say.

In earth time, human lives last a millisecond anyway. We are on a cusp. It could be ten minutes or ten years. It could be twenty, or even 30 years, before we spiral down to a more chaotic state of affairs. The handwriting is surely on the wall. It won't be 100 years. We don't have that much time left. But even 20 years gets very near the end of my productive life. It may be that I will be like Joshua leading my people to Canaan, but I will not pass over into the world they are going to inhabit.

Part of the problem here is that the error bars get increasingly bigger the longer you project out. Once you get to 20, 30 or 50 years, what you thought was clearly just a matter of "when not if" may become a matter of IF. Especially when the problem set is defined as broadly as "social destabilization" or something of that nature. 50-100 years from now, human beings may have evolved into something not even resembling human beings. Or we could be extinct. Or anything in between. Who knows.

The only "solution" I see to this problem of future predictions is metaphysics. One can theoretically get to first principles of Being itself which mandate a certain outcome in human history, or at least a certain direction.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
I call them the Four Horsemen of Collapse. We agree on the problem set. What we don't know is the timing, or which horseman will be the one that sends us over the edge from slow collapse, which is ongoing, to a more rapid collapse, which I do expect, but which I expect to take longer than most people think. It's still an unknown. No doubt we are close. But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, as an old friend of mine used to say.

In earth time, human lives last a millisecond anyway. We are on a cusp. It could be ten minutes or ten years. It could be twenty, or even 30 years, before we spiral down to a more chaotic state of affairs. The handwriting is surely on the wall. It won't be 100 years. We don't have that much time left. But even 20 years gets very near the end of my productive life. It may be that I will be like Joshua leading my people to Canaan, but I will not pass over into the world they are going to inhabit.

Part of the problem here is that the error bars get increasingly bigger the longer you project out. Once you get to 20, 30 or 50 years, what you thought was clearly just a matter of "when not if" may become a matter of IF. Especially when the problem set is defined as broadly as "social destabilization" or something of that nature. 50-100 years from now, human beings may have evolved into something not even resembling human beings. Or we could be extinct. Or anything in between. Who knows.

The only "solution" I see to this problem of future predictions is metaphysics. One can theoretically get to first principles of Being itself which mandate a certain outcome in human history, or at least a certain direction.

As Bob Dylan once said, it doesn't take a weatherman to see which way the wind is blowing.

The problem set is real. Collapse is real and ongoing. World leadership is making no positive efforts to solve anything whatsoever. To be optimistic is such a scenario is naive.

But with that said, the last thing I want anyone to ever say about me is that I succumbed to despair while I still had fresh air and plenty to eat.

I'm agnostic about the possibilities of getting to First Principles through metaphysics, although I get the attraction. My own investigations into metaphysics have not been that productive, but I try to be open to anything that leads to increased understanding.

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:05 AM »
Such a nice morning and then Survival Acres kinda said the truth again:
http://survivalacres.com/blog/the-empty-promises-of-science-and-everyone-else/#comment-8967
Not sure I can take so much optimism so early in the morning.
The evil rooster is calling me to release him on the world :evil4:
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 06:25:19 AM »

As Bob Dylan once said, it doesn't take a weatherman to see which way the wind is blowing.

The problem set is real. Collapse is real and ongoing. World leadership is making no positive efforts to solve anything whatsoever. To be optimistic is such a scenario is naive.

I'm not sure why "world leadership" needs to be very involved in most of the solutions. They often make many matters worse, prolong them and prevent real solutions from taking hold. The only problem which probably needs coordinated global action is global warming, but it doesn't seem anyone really knows what that action should look like. I have a harder time accepting the peak oil claims, because they have been made for decades now and in the meantime the US has become a net exporter of oil.

We need to be more specific when defining the problems of "financial collapse" or "social destabilization". What specifically are we talking about? I don't think most of the solutions for these issues can or should come from politicians.

But with that said, the last thing I want anyone to ever say about me is that I succumbed to despair while I still had fresh air and plenty to eat.

Agreed. If some theory or perspective of the world is leading you to complete nihilistic despair, then it is likely wrong or incomplete.

I'm agnostic about the possibilities of getting to First Principles through metaphysics, although I get the attraction. My own investigations into metaphysics have not been that productive, but I try to be open to anything that leads to increased understanding.

Lately I have been following cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman and his perception interface theory with great interest. I recommend you tubing him. He was first brought to my attention by Ka on this forum, but I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying. I recently rediscovered him and his theory has fascinating implications for metaphysical questions.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
I recommend more good coffee and less truth, early in the morning.

I haven't been reading Survival Acres but I'll put it on my list....not many good writers producing real collapse content these days. Burnout, depressions...or maybe just taking too long to suit some people who have bravely unplugged from the matrix and are living these interesting stories, while the rest of us continue to make our morning commute to our rat race jobs.

I do have one bone to pick. No lay person I ever met understands what a scientific theory is.

This is where theories then come into play. The evidence understood and examined “so far” means XYZ – or so we think.

This is closer than some, but not really quite right. What most lay people call a theory is what scientists call a hypothesis.

Theory to most people leaves room for a lot of disagreement. A theory, in science, means more than that. It has to fit every known fact, and is accepted as complete truth, just subject to revision by the emergence of future evidence.

The process of becoming a scientific theory

Every scientific theory starts as a hypothesis. A scientific hypothesis is a suggested solution for an unexplained occurrence that doesn't fit into a currently accepted scientific theory. In other words, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a hypothesis is an idea that hasn't been proven yet. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step — known as a theory — in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.

Tanner further explained that a scientific theory is the framework for observations and facts. Theories may change, or the way that they are interpreted may change, but the facts themselves don't change. Tanner likens theories to a basket in which scientists keep facts and observations that they find. The shape of that basket may change as the scientists learn more and include more facts. "For example, we have ample evidence of traits in populations becoming more or less common over time (evolution), so evolution is a fact but the overarching theories about evolution, the way that we think all of the facts go together might change as new observations of evolution are made," Tanner told Live Science.
Theory basics

The University of California, Berkley, defines a theory as "a broad, natural explanation for a wide range of phenomena. Theories are concise, coherent, systematic, predictive, and broadly applicable, often integrating and generalizing many hypotheses."

Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts. Facts and theories are two different things. In the scientific method, there is a clear distinction between facts, which can be observed and/or measured, and theories, which are scientists' explanations and interpretations of the facts.

An important part of scientific theory includes statements that have observational consequences. A good theory, like Newton's theory of gravity, has unity, which means it consists of a limited number of problem-solving strategies that can be applied to a wide range of scientific circumstances. Another feature of a good theory is that it formed from a number of hypotheses that can be tested independently.
The evolution of a scientific theory

A scientific theory is not the end result of the scientific method; theories can be proven or rejected, just like hypotheses. Theories can be improved or modified as more information is gathered so that the accuracy of the prediction becomes greater over time.

Theories are foundations for furthering scientific knowledge and for putting the information gathered to practical use. Scientists use theories to develop inventions or find a cure for a disease.

Some think that theories become laws, but theories and laws have separate and distinct roles in the scientific method. A law is a description of an observed phenomenon in the natural world that hold true every time it is tested. It doesn't explain why something is true; it just states that it is true. A theory, on the other hand, explains observations that are gathered during the scientific process. So, while law and theory are part of the scientific process, they are two very different aspects, according to the National Science Teachers Association.

A good example of the difference between a theory and a law is the case of Gregor Mendel. In his research, Mendel discovered that two separate genetic traits would appear independently of each other in different offspring. "Yet Mendel knew nothing of DNA or chromosomes. It wasn't until a century later that scientists discovered DNA and chromosomes — the biochemical explanation of Mendel's laws," said Peter Coppinger, an associate professor of biology and biomedical engineering at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. "It was only then that scientists, such as T.H. Morgan working with fruit flies, explained the Law of Independent Assortment using the theory of chromosomal inheritance. Still today, this is the universally accepted explanation (theory) for Mendel's Law."

https://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is-a-scientific-theory-definition-of-theory.html

It’s upsetting to realize that science doesn’t have all the answers – or even the best ideas.

Science doesn't make promises, people do. And there is enough godd science for anyone with half a brain to figure out what's going on. If there is some bad research out there (and there always has been, becaue research is paid for by somebody, and lots of somebody's have an agenda) then it is the responsibility of educated people to debunk it.

It's just that these days science has run headlong into a brick wall of obfuscation and denial. But you get the reality, as does the Survival Acres writer and a whole lot of other people. But the bad guys with the agendas and the money have so many good ways to hypnotize, lie, lay down false narratives and otherwise fill the whole space of MSM media and social media with pure crap that the average joe can't begin to filter it.

And....one other thing, and I think this is important. Humans are just animals who can talk. They aren't gods. To think that anybody,even the richest, most powerful, most connected people in the world have a chance in hell of doing anything to change the kind of seismic shift that's going on now, or are even responsible or somehow obligated to DO SOMETHING because they are (shudder) morally obligated?

That's giving humans way too much credit.

Technology overwhelms ordinary humans. My father, when he was a kid, rode to town on Saturday in a wagon propelled by a mule. It took all day to get there, conduct a little business and ride home. We aren't nearly evolved enough to begin to deal with the Pandora's Box we opened.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »

I'm not sure why "world leadership" needs to be very involved in most of the solutions. They often make many matters worse, prolong them and prevent real solutions from taking hold. The only problem which probably needs coordinated global action is global warming, but it doesn't seem anyone really knows what that action should look like. I have a harder time accepting the peak oil claims, because they have been made for decades now and in the meantime the US has become a net exporter of oil.

We need to be more specific when defining the problems of "financial collapse" or "social destabilization". What specifically are we talking about? I don't think most of the solutions for these issues can or should come from politicians.

Agreed. If some theory or perspective of the world is leading you to complete nihilistic despair, then it is likely wrong or incomplete.

Lately I have been following cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman and his perception interface theory with great interest. I recommend you tubing him. He was first brought to my attention by Ka on this forum, but I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying. I recently rediscovered him and his theory has fascinating implications for metaphysical questions.

Will do.

I am excited about Utube Grad School. In spite of Google's many negatives, the possibilities for an inquiring individual to gain an education these
days are mind-boggling. It's just a bit intimidating trying to sort through it.

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »
The full article (as a whole) is now up. Done

https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2019/02/19/acceptance-and-triage-the-adapters-movement/

As a bonus, De Nob, Administrator of The Canadian Preppers Network and The International Preppers Network, decided to throw in his support and will be presenting the 4 part series at CPN.

I also added comments he had added into the peer reviewers comments near the end. And Michael Jensen also got back to us from India for his comments

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »
I should also point out, Depression is one of the 5 stages of grief. And it seems a pretty reasonable response.

Being scared shitless is also a proper response.

Which brings up this article- Time To Panic- And fear may be the only thing that saves us.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/opinion/sunday/fear-panic-climate-change-warming.html

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:30 AM »
I recommend more good coffee and less truth, early in the morning.

What a great post. Lot of truth to assimilate in this one. A couple of quick reactions.

The University of California, Berkley, defines a theory as "a broad, natural explanation for a wide range of phenomena. Theories are concise, coherent, systematic, predictive, and broadly applicable, often integrating and generalizing many hypotheses."

Any scientific theory must be based on a careful and rational examination of the facts. Facts and theories are two different things. In the scientific method, there is a clear distinction between facts, which can be observed and/or measured, and theories, which are scientists' explanations and interpretations of the facts.

IMO, you have it exact that ordinary people conflate "theory" with "hypothesis." Live science is one of the sites that I scan every morning to aggregate The Daily Foolscap, and most of those articles present one scientist's interpretation, often juxtaposed with another's demurrer. That's because, as you note, facts can be observed but interpretations are individual, and will differ based on the POV of the investigator.
A recent article moved on LS about what one person purports to be a Neanderthal footprint on Gibraltar. Another person said it was no such thing. We taker some comfort in thinking that "science" conveys some sense of certainty. Infact, it conveys, at best, a consensus which is subject to change every day.

When I was prepping my Anniversary article, I recalled past discussions about the "Population Bottleneck" observed in human DNA and the Toba explanation for it.

The genetic bottleneck theory has it that, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human populations sharply decreased to 3,000–10,000 surviving individuals. Genetic evidence suggesting that today's humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and 10,000 breeding pairs that existed about 70,000 years ago.

The "bottleneck" occurred @70-75,000 years ago. Lake Toba blew @75,000 years ago. The Toba catastrophe theory holds that this event caused a global volcanic winter of six to ten years, and possibly a 1,000-year-long cooling episode, and the consequence that such an event could have drastically reduced human numbers. Similar bottlenecks are observed in other apes and large mammals. The timing works, but coincidence is not causation.

Scientists agree that a supereruption of the scale at Toba must have led to very extensive ash-fall layers and injection of noxious gases into the atmosphere, with worldwide effects on weather and climate. Yet for all of that, some other scientists have made physical observations that contradict this hypothesis. Toba explanation as a cause is vigorously disputed based on other evidence, particularly in east Africa.

For those not familiar with this, it's worth a trip to Wikipedia. The issue is far more nuanced and complicated than I have it here.

Technology overwhelms ordinary humans. My father, when he was a kid, rode to town on Saturday in a wagon propelled by a mule. It took all day to get there, conduct a little business and ride home. We aren't nearly evolved enough to begin to deal with the Pandora's Box we opened.

I don't know anything about science; I'm just a science fanboy, like I'm a history fanboy. But one theme that keeps occurring to me isn that our technological prowess has far outstripped our ethical and moral dimensions,, and we see this acted out in the headlines every day. "Pandora's box" is the apt metaphor.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
The full article (as a whole) is now up. Done

https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2019/02/19/acceptance-and-triage-the-adapters-movement/

As a bonus, De Nob, Administrator of The Canadian Preppers Network and The International Preppers Network, decided to throw in his support and will be presenting the 4 part series at CPN.

I also added comments he had added into the peer reviewers comments near the end. And Michael Jensen also got back to us from India for his comments

Excellent! Congratulations, and well done.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
I should also point out, Depression is one of the 5 stages of grief. And it seems a pretty reasonable response.

Which brings up this article- Time To Panic- And fear may be the only thing that saves us.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/opinion/sunday/fear-panic-climate-change-warming.html
Sorry C-5 I think the NYT piece by David Wallace-Wells is just more CRAP, IMHO.
Times short :new_shocked: panic is necessaryand he's dishing out IPPC crap that is way to conservative. The house is on FIRE and Wells is giving timelines (from the IPCC) that are not on fire. We don't have 10, 20, 30 years. We might have 5 if we were real lucky :'(.
Survival Acres had a great post on this TODAY, I'm interested in your take on it since I think you kinda turned me on to him in one of your posts.
http://survivalacres.com/blog/the-empty-promises-of-science-and-everyone-else/

As to the arguments as to what is theory in science and what is proven by fact.
I agree with Eddie and like to point out that the difference between what the general population take to be theory (which is really just a hypothesis) and what a theory is in science is best exemplified by atomic theory (standard model of particle physics). Atomic theory is just that a theory.nothing in science is ever completely proven; you just get closer and closer approximations to reality. BUT try to tell the people who died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb attacks that they were killed by only a theory because we don't know everything to a certainty enough to say what reality is.
Scientific Theories should be treated as factual in the real world.
So Fundamentalists, you did evolve from slime mold (in fact most of you have that in your brains).
Sorry for this post, kinda angry depressed today because of Survival Acres telling the truth.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »

Sorry C-5 I think the NYT piece by David Wallace-Wells is just more CRAP, IMHO.
Times short :new_shocked: panic is necessaryand he's dishing out IPPC crap that is way to conservative. The house is on FIRE and Wells is giving timelines (from the IPCC) that are not on fire. We don't have 10, 20, 30 years. We might have 5 if we were real lucky :'(.
Survival Acres had a great post on this TODAY, I'm interested in your take on it since I think you kinda turned me on to him in one of your posts.
http://survivalacres.com/blog/the-empty-promises-of-science-and-everyone-else/

As to the arguments as to what is theory in science and what is proven by fact.
I agree with Eddie and like to point out that the difference between what the general population take to be theory (which is really just a hypothesis) and what a theory is in science is best exemplified by atomic theory (standard model of particle physics). Atomic theory is just that a theory.nothing in science is ever completely proven; you just get closer and closer approximations to reality. BUT try to tell the people who died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb attacks that they were killed by only a theory because we don't know everything to a certainty enough to say what reality is.
Scientific Theories should be treated as factual in the real world.
So Fundamentalists, you did evolve from slime mold (in fact most of you have that in your brains).
Sorry for this post, kinda angry depressed today because of Survival Acres telling the truth.
AJ

I get it.

If the IPCC is right, I owe Guy McPherson a small apology. I'm gonna hate having to do that.

Hey at least we'll have front row seats for the end of the world as we know it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:09:58 PM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 12:35:19 PM »

If the IPCC is right, I owe Guy McPherson a small apology. I'm gonna hate having to do that.

AFAIK, the IPCC does not predict Extinction by 2020.

Hey at least we'll have front row seats for the end of the world as we know it.

As I have said before, only one generation every 1600 years gets to witness a Civilization Collapse.  We won the LOTTO on this one.

RE
Save As Many As You Can