PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Doomstead Diner 7th Anniversary First Breakfast: Boiled Eggs for the Deplorables, Demented and Dimwits

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner 7th Anniversary First Breakfast: Boiled Eggs for the Deplorables, Demented and Dimwits  (Read 1786 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: 🍳 Diner 7th Anniversary Breakfast: Vegan Omelet Part 2
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »

At least now you know why you have zero views.

That video has zero.  The other videos have positive numbers.  Give it time. I'm still working on the technical details, sets and costumes.  Still training my CHs as Sous Chefs also.  You expect me to build Rome in a day?  Be a little patient!

RE

My intention is not to bust your balls, although that has been a hobby of mine over the years. It's just that people pay me to tell clients the difference between good and bad. A bad message can do a business more harm than good.

Your content is worthwhile and you're a good storyteller, and your videos deserve to be watchable. You might also take note of production technique fr social media cooking videos, in which people use time-lapse or time compression to elide repetitive chopping or prep segments. I didn't make these rules; I just observe them.

I guy I know says, "People used to read the internet; now they watch the internet."

Storytelling, Cooking, Taking care of Children and Medicine Man are the traditional ways Old Men & Cripples earned their share of the meat brought in by the Hunters and the Nuts, Berries & Tubers collected by the Gatherers.  I do 3 of the 4.  I try to lead by example, by being a DOER.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No worries Diner Foodies, this vid is IN FOCUS!  lol.

Getting down to Feast Time, and gotta get the STEAK🥩 ready for cookin' here in the Cooking Zone of the Doomstead Diner.  In this video you can appreciate the qualities of a fine Ribeye cut of USDA Grade A Prime meat.  The marbling on this one rivals Australian Wagyu, which we probably won't see much of for a long time to come, if ever.  I made the vid before all the cattle died in the Oz Floods, otherwise I would have mentioned it in the vid.

The actual cook is still to come.  I also have prep work to do on the Surf portion of the Main Course, the Alaskan King Crab.

Hope you enjoy, or at least watch the vid. lol.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9FKk6JB0w0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f9FKk6JB0w0</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🍳 Diner 7th Anniversary Breakfast: Vegan Omelet Part 2
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2019, 02:41:03 AM »
You might also take note of production technique fr social media cooking videos, in which people use time-lapse or time compression to elide repetitive chopping or prep segments. I didn't make these rules; I just observe them.

I have observed these rules also, and I DO eliminate a lot of the chopping, slicing, etc.  Just in that early vid, I wanted to discuss the right Knife to be use for cutting, and also my crippleness with wielding a knife these days.    When I start to add Intros and Outros to the vids, they will read in the credits:

The Cooking Zone

with RE, the Crippled Cook of Collapse

and co-starring his Sous Chefs

CH1 & CH2

There will be high quality Still Pics of all our hands either with a knife cutting something up, with a spatula or blending something with a whisk or fork.  No Power Tools in those pics.  lol.  I am keeping all our faces out of the vids until and unless my Cripple Helpers are comfortable enough to appear on camera.  That would be good for viewership of course, because they are both very attractive young ladies.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner 7th Anniversary Main Course: Preparing the King Crab for Tappanyaki
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Em4F5SdXAac" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Em4F5SdXAac</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner 7th Anniversary Main Course: Veggie Side Dish
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
I decided that the Diner 7th Anniversary FEAST wouldn't be complete without a Veggie Side Dish to accompany the Surf & Turf.  The Veggie of Choice is Asparagus, the traditional choice for a Surf & Turf, usually served with Hollandaise Sauce.  Asparagus also happens to be my favorite Veggie.  :icon_sunny:

This also gave me an opportunity to work on my Still Photography skills with Food, along with the Videography.  Here's the Asparagus Raw, getting ready for the Cook:

click the pic to enlarge
Asparagus Raw
Asparagus Raw

I'll be going over principles for properly cooking Asparagus in an upcoming episode of the Cooking Zone.

How am I doing with the lighting Surly?

RE
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:14:25 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner 7th Anniversary Salad: The Full Prep
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
Awesome Salad.  I actually finished half the bowl at one sitting.  I changed over to Caesar Dressing though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QUfvwJ4m3r4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QUfvwJ4m3r4</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Diner 7th Anniversary Main Course: Veggie Side Dish
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »
I decided that the Diner 7th Anniversary FEAST wouldn't be complete without a Veggie Side Dish to accompany the Surf & Turf.  The Veggie of Choice is Asparagus, the traditional choice for a Surf & Turf, usually served with Hollandaise Sauce.  Asparagus also happens to be my favorite Veggie.  :icon_sunny:

This also gave me an opportunity to work on my Still Photography skills with Food, along with the Videography.  Here's the Asparagus Raw, getting ready for the Cook:

click the pic to enlarge
Asparagus Raw
Asparagus Raw

I'll be going over principles for properly cooking Asparagus in an upcoming episode of the Cooking Zone.

How am I doing with the lighting Surly?

RE

Moar backlight!

But Love your choice of asparagus!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2019, 06:26:15 PM »

Moar backlight!

Can you diagram out how I should be positioning my backlighting?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »

Moar backlight!

RE

Not really, because I can't even SEE your backlight. Your key light is too hot:

the asparagus is very nicely lit by whatever light you have going in the foreground. If you can't adjust the key light's intensity, move it back.
A good rule of thumb is to place your backlight 180 degrees from your key. Those two lights and a reflector and you ought to be good to go.

backlight
                   X

scene

X
          reflector

X
                                      key light
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 07:16:59 PM »

Moar backlight!

RE

the asparagus is very nicely lit by whatever light you have going in the foreground. If you can't adjust the key light's intensity, move it back.
A good rule of thumb is to place your backlight 180 degrees from your key. Those two lights and a reflector and you ought to be good to go.

backlight
                   X

scene

X
          reflector

X
                                      key light

Where is the camera in that diagram?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:33 AM »

Moar backlight!

RE

backlight
                   X

scene

X
          reflector

X
                                      key light

Where is the camera in that diagram?

RE

backlight
                   X

scene

X
          reflector

X
                                      key light

Although if I were you I'd consider building an overhead camera rig. A lot off successful videos use that, and it really works, especially with time compression editing.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 06:17:07 AM »

Although if I were you I'd consider building an overhead camera rig. A lot off successful videos use that, and it really works, especially with time compression editing.

I can see using an apparatus like that either before I cook the food or after I finish and Plate Up, but I couldn't use it during the cook.  It would be too much in the way.

I'm getting good enough angles now from above, and the vids have very good definition.  Check out this morning's vid and watch the Asparagus and Mushrooms sizzle away!  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner 7th Anniversary 3rd Course: The Soup
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
We have been through the prep for the first 2 courses of the 4 Courses of the Apocalypse Diner 7th Anniversary Dinner, the Appetizer and the Salad.  We are having Soup for the 3rd Course, one of my Patented Soup Ammendations.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejhE_WpN-8M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ejhE_WpN-8M</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner 7th Anniversary Day Feb 19, 2019 Breakfast: Avocado-Egg & Cheese Bake
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
A quick, EZ and delicious breakfast for our Anniversary Day.  :icon_sunny:

While this is good, DO NOT MISS TONIGHT'S PREP OF THE KING CRAB!!!  Even if you don't watch any of my other cooking vids (and most of you don't) this one is one for the ages.  You won't believe it.  Really. LOL.

Alright, Promo done with, now let's eat breakfast.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGBnoHlmWSs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGBnoHlmWSs</a>

RE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
It's just that the breakfast videos come on at 10 am my time and I don't eat breakfast on work days...so I'm hungry as hell. Last thing I want to look at is a tasty omelette.

I'll check out the crab video, being a veteran crab boiler myself, even though we don't get the best here.

The shrimp here are right up there, however. Oysters too.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.