AuthorTopic: Wealth and Wellbeing  (Read 478 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Wealth and Wellbeing
« on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:26 AM »

Sadhguru says, having a good home, eating good food, wearing good clothes, are a means to living well; they are not the goals of our life. The quality of your life is decided by how peaceful and joyful you are.

Sadhguru: What we need in the world is not just “wealth creation.” We need to create wellbeing. Wealth is just one of the tools towards human wellbeing, not the whole of it. Wealth means making the outside pleasant for ourselves. But right now, people are going at it like it is a religion. In pursuit of wealth creation, we are destroying the very planet on which we live. Whether you make a safety pin or build a computer or a car or some great machine, whatever you do, you are digging it out of the planet. Somewhere, we must decide how much to dig and how much the planet can take.

If we are not sensible about this, in our ideas of wealth creation we may completely destroy the planet – which we are already doing in many ways.

We must understand what our idea of wealth is. Is it just about more buildings, more machines, more cars, more of everything? More and more is death. In the most affluent societies in the world, for example in the United States of America, a significant percentage of the population is on anti-depressants on a regular basis. If you just withdraw one particular medication from the market, almost half the nation will go crazy. That is not wellbeing. Generally, an American citizen has everything that anyone would dream of. There is wealth but no wellbeing. What are you going to do with this wealth?

If I go to the West and ask them, “Why don’t you meditate?” the common statement everywhere is “But we have to pay bills.” I said, “If your whole life is about paying bills, why generate those damn bills? You can curtail yourself and live more comfortably. To pay all those bills you are just working endlessly. What is the point?”

“No the whole society is doing it.” It doesn’t matter. They are driven by somebody else. If you have any sense, you must drive yourself to the extent that you are comfortable. There maybe someone who can do a thousand things in a day without suffering or being stressed. Maybe you can do only three things in a day. It is okay. You needn’t try to do what someone else does. This is the biggest problem. We are trying to do things like someone else.

When it comes to outside situations, no two human beings have come with the same level of capability. Your neighbor may have a 100-bedroom house. Maybe he likes to live in a hotel! For yourself, you must decide how much. Trying to do things like someone else is the wrong way to approach life. We need to decide how much of what we should do in our lives – how much outside activity, inner wellbeing and social wellbeing would keep our life in a balanced way without ruining us and the atmosphere around us.

https://isha.sadhguru.org/us/en/wisdom/article/wealth-and-wellbeing

Sadhguru ( real name is Jaggi Vasudev ) Net Worth. Sadhguru who has served the humanity through his inspirational works has maintained a huge net worth in his life. His organization, Isha Foundation had a net revenue of more than $ 2.5 Million. Their assets are of about $16 Million.Jun 26, 2017
EARTH - "love it or leave it!"

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Wealth and Wellbeing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
Wealth has brought down a lot of gurus. It's what destroyed Osho.

Grateful devotees tend to lavish a lot of money on them in the west. Money and sex, both of which are problematic for some holy saints, who are still human, after all.

I think what he says is right. Money is a tool, not an end in itself. But I'm grateful for an easy life and plenty of good food and a car that doesn't break down all the time. I've been poor, and I prefer having a financial cushion to living hand-to-mouth.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »

Sadhguru says, having a good home, eating good food, wearing good clothes, are a means to living well; they are not the goals of our life. The quality of your life is decided by how peaceful and joyful you are.

Sadhguru: What we need in the world is not just “wealth creation.” We need to create wellbeing. Wealth is just one of the tools towards human wellbeing, not the whole of it. Wealth means making the outside pleasant for ourselves. But right now, people are going at it like it is a religion. In pursuit of wealth creation, we are destroying the very planet on which we live. Whether you make a safety pin or build a computer or a car or some great machine, whatever you do, you are digging it out of the planet. Somewhere, we must decide how much to dig and how much the planet can take.

Eddie made an observation the other day in response to an article you posted, in that it was that sort of article that keeps him coming back to the Diner. This is another.
Thank you for putting this here.

I also agree with him that good home, good clothes, good food provide a cushion. Having been poor and not poor, I much prefer not-poor. He has a bigger cushion, but I've got a bigger ass.
I suggest that being peaceful and joyful has to do with simplifying, de-attaching and focusing on relationships.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
"The quality of your life is decided by how peaceful and joyful you are."

I think this is an idea that Americans need to abandon. Peace and joy are great, sure, and we should be grateful anytime we are fortunate enough to have those present in our lives. However they cannot be the measure of life quality and should not be the main aims of one's life. Every major religion has recognized that human life is characterized by suffering and malevolence. We should expect to be afflicted by these and plan how to react. If we consistently expect peace and joy from our experience, we will be sorely disappointed and eventually it will break us.

Christianity articulates the quality of one's life by the amount of personal responsibility and integrity/honesty one adopts. Finances is an area where everyone can daily work on adopting more responsibility for how they take care of themselves and others. This drive towards adopting responsibility is where we derive the most authentic meaning in our lives, and that meaning is the best buffer to the inevitable episodes of suffering. For some people this may come in the form of massive amounts of work, especially if their temperaments tilt that way. For most it will come in the few strong relationships they form.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:57:23 PM by Ashvin »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »

I think this is an idea that Americans need to abandon. Peace and joy are great, sure, and we should be grateful anytime we are fortunate enough to have those present in our lives. However they cannot be the measure of life quality and should not be the main aims of one's life. Every major religion has recognized that human life is characterized by suffering and malevolence. We should expect to be afflicted by these and plan how to react. If we consistently expect peace and joy from our experience, we will be sorely disappointed and eventually it will break us.

As a boy the nuns pressed into m y hands a pamphlet entitled, "The Joy of Suffering." Philippians, "Chains of Christ," etc. Of course, Catholicism coerces its adherents into a spiritual discipline that will inform their entire lives, making Catholics reliable role players in the social order. As with fundamentalists, personal happiness of a sense of joy is of no consequence.

In the fullness of time, I grew to say, "Fuck that Noise." We make our own peace and find our own joy, and do so outside of a coercive religion-social order. You'd have to be pretty callow to "expect" it.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:49:48 PM »

As a boy the nuns pressed into m y hands a pamphlet entitled, "The Joy of Suffering." Philippians, "Chains of Christ," etc. Of course, Catholicism coerces its adherents into a spiritual discipline that will inform their entire lives, making Catholics reliable role players in the social order. As with fundamentalists, personal happiness of a sense of joy is of no consequence.

In the fullness of time, I grew to say, "Fuck that Noise." We make our own peace and find our own joy, and do so outside of a coercive religion-social order. You'd have to be pretty callow to "expect" it.

The responsibility in the face of the suffering inherent in Being must be taken on voluntarily. That is the story of Christ - he was the prototypical Victim of Being, innocent in every way yet made to suffer the most. He, more than anyone in history, had the grounds to rebel against the social order of his time and blame the structure of existence itself. He chose to bear his Cross instead - taking responsibility for the sins of others.

You don't have to be a fundamentalist to take that story seriously. You don't even have to believe it happened - what really matters is that it works. It is the best way to deal with the inevitable suffering of being. But most children are not taught this at all in America - we are sheltered from this truth and taught that life without constant happiness is abnormal. And when we inevitably encounter suffering or malevolence, we don't know how to handle it. It weakens us instead of making us stronger as Nietzsche's wisdom would suggest.

"The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances to add a deeper meaning to his life." -Victor Frankl