AuthorTopic: RE Buys a BIG & EXPENSIVE new Prep  (Read 211 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
RE Buys a BIG & EXPENSIVE new Prep
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:13:10 AM »
For a long time I have coveted having a Chest Freezer to store my long term Frozen Meat supply rather than the freezer compartment of my fridge.  The freezer is completely packed and there is no room for anything else.  In fact right now I am using the Great Outdoors of Alaska as an additional freezer for all the stuff I have bought for the Diner 7th Anniversary Dinner.  However, in about another month or so it will at least in theory start to warm up around here and this won't work.  So I decided to buy the Chest Freezer.  :icon_sunny:  Here is the model:

Now I wanted to buy a smaller one in the 3-5 cu ft range, 7 cu ft is just a ridiculous amount of freezer space.  I found some nice little units on smile.amazon.com (remember to designate Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity!) with Free Shipping since I am an Amazon Prime shopper.  :icon_sunny:  Around $180, good price.  Unfortunately, fucking Bezos and his "partner" retailers won't ship a fucking freezer to Alaska!  So I had to buy one the old fashioned way, at a retail Big Box appliance store.

So yesterday I took on excursion out of the digs with my CH (Cripple Helper) to go to Home Depot and buy a chest freezer.  The only one they had in stock was this 7 cu ft model, but I wanted my freezer NOW!  $280 plus $80 to deliver it to my digs and install it.  $360 all together, about double what I intended on spending, but you can't take it with you, right?  It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, sometime between 6AM & 9PM.

This freezer has an enormous footprint for my little kitchen, and exactly how I will have them place it down is still something of a question mark.  But I think we can just about wedge it in at the end of my food preparation counter where I video the Cooking Zone episodes.  Hopefully.  I measured it out and it should make it with me still able to open the fridge and also get by it and into the kitchen proper.  I'll try to get some video of the installation.  :icon_sunny:

Can't wait to unpack my freezer and get some ROOM in there!  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: RE Buys a BIG & EXPENSIVE new Prep
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »
For a long time I have coveted having a Chest Freezer to store my long term Frozen Meat supply rather than the freezer compartment of my fridge.  The freezer is completely packed and there is no room for anything else.  In fact right now I am using the Great Outdoors of Alaska as an additional freezer for all the stuff I have bought for the Diner 7th Anniversary Dinner.  However, in about another month or so it will at least in theory start to warm up around here and this won't work.  So I decided to buy the Chest Freezer.  :icon_sunny:  Here is the model:

Now I wanted to buy a smaller one in the 3-5 cu ft range, 7 cu ft is just a ridiculous amount of freezer space.  I found some nice little units on smile.amazon.com (remember to designate Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity!) with Free Shipping since I am an Amazon Prime shopper.  :icon_sunny:  Around $180, good price.  Unfortunately, fucking Bezos and his "partner" retailers won't ship a fucking freezer to Alaska!  So I had to buy one the old fashioned way, at a retail Big Box appliance store.

So yesterday I took on excursion out of the digs with my CH (Cripple Helper) to go to Home Depot and buy a chest freezer.  The only one they had in stock was this 7 cu ft model, but I wanted my freezer NOW!  $280 plus $80 to deliver it to my digs and install it.  $360 all together, about double what I intended on spending, but you can't take it with you, right?  It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, sometime between 6AM & 9PM.

This freezer has an enormous footprint for my little kitchen, and exactly how I will have them place it down is still something of a question mark.  But I think we can just about wedge it in at the end of my food preparation counter where I video the Cooking Zone episodes.  Hopefully.  I measured it out and it should make it with me still able to open the fridge and also get by it and into the kitchen proper.  I'll try to get some video of the installation.  :icon_sunny:

RE

I'm guessing you haven't watched that French cop show les Temoins (Witnesses). The bad guy is a serial killer who keeps people in chest freezers. (Not a terrible show......but you do have to suspend your disbelief a little....)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3uAdKyItdpM&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3uAdKyItdpM&fs=1</a>

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »

RE
Most modern freezers have a preheater on the compressor so you can have it in a cold environment. I want to move mine to the garage myself which I keep cold and save some space in the laundry/pantry room.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
Most modern freezers have a preheater on the compressor so you can have it in a cold environment. I want to move mine to the garage myself which I keep cold and save some space in the laundry/pantry room.

I don't have a Garage or a Pantry/Laundry Room.  The community laundry is in the office building.  The only place I could drop it  outdoors would be on the porch, but I can't access the proch in the winter with snow and ice on the ramp I have to get in and out there.  If I slip and fall, I'm a dead man.

I'm going to make it fit.  I am doing some reorganizing of my office area where I run the Diner Command & Control Center.  It's a LOT of freezer though for me, even as much as I prep up.

RE
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:47:16 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »

I don't have a Garage or a Pantry/Laundry Room.  The community laundry is in the office building.  The only place I could drop it  outdoors would be on the porch, but I can't access the proch in the winter with snow and ice on the ramp I have to get in and out there.  If I slip and fall, I'm a dead man.

I'm going to make it fit.  I am doing some reorganizing of my office area where I run the Diner Command & Control Center.  It's a LOT of freezer though for me, even as much as I prep up.

RE
[/quote]

As we celebrate the Diner 7th, it occurs to me that purchasing this freezer is an amazing act of optimism for a guy with one foot in the grave. May you fill and empty and refill it many times.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
As we celebrate the Diner 7th, it occurs to me that purchasing this freezer is an amazing act of optimism for a guy with one foot in the grave. May you fill and empty and refill it many times.

I intend to finish out my days walking the Earth with every goddamn fucking Prep in the Handbook.  I am now looking at Stills to start making my own Booze.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN