AuthorTopic: The Round Table  (Read 10445 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Round Table
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »
The PAHHHTY IS ON!

:multiplespotting:;

Hopefully I got all the Switches set right, ANYBODY should be able to  Post to this Board, no Moderation.

Hope to hear from Regular Diners, Lurkers, Newbies, Guests,  Psychos and Trolls!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner: Year One
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
Doomstead Diner: Year One by Diner Godfather RE now UP on the Diner Blog.

I added a Music Vid and Pics to the text I sent to Monsta for the Feb 2012 Webzine Intro.  Also a paragraph for Historical Context.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Round Table
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:23 AM »
Happy birthday Diners!

My own participation will be light today. Contrary and I are headed to DC to participate in a Climate Change demonstration today, and we won't be back until night.

The local Sierra Club will send more than 100 people to take part in the Forward on Climate Rally in Washington, D.C. The demonstration, billed as the largest-ever climate change rally, will march to the White House to call for immediate adoption of clean energy policies. Maybe too litttle too late, but one has to do something while still drawing breath.

Wishing everyone a great day today!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:27:39 AM »
Never Too Late Surly, Thanks to you and Contrary for your noble efforts.  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:29:55 AM »
Not noble, but necessary, GO. It has been wonderful to make your acquaintance here at DD. Her's hoping we have a lively turnout today!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:39:35 AM »
Not noble, but necessary, GO. It has been wonderful to make your acquaintance here at DD. Her's hoping we have a lively turnout today!

Likewise Surly, and thanks for all your work and efforts in making the Diner a success. As well as keeping a close eye on Mr Paladin.  :laugh: ;D ::)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:32 AM »
Yes good on you surly, a voice crying in the climate wilderness. Ive just come back from a compulsory school event, the "community mass" start of easter or something, kids had to wear full uniform for no real reason,  they did not asemble at all, just go up for communion as per a normal mass and the rest of time sit with their family then go home. Why make this compulsory, why the uniform, I dont know.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:33:18 AM »
Happy Birthday Diners!

Thank you for all of this RE. It has been like a second home for me, a kind of refuge.

Surly1, stay warm.

GO, thanks for all your participation.

Uncle Bob, why the uniforms? I think everybody senses a growing chaos. Call it a pale attempt to reinforce order.

Don't think I'll be around much this evening, as it's my sister's birthday today. I'll likely be over there, having dinner and then watching the kids. 

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 08:42:57 AM »
I'll be here all day checking in to see what becomes of this event in celebration of the Diner.  Gonna be studying A&P, medical terminology, and microsoft 2010 office on my quest to get a seat at the ministry of health as a murse all day to. 

I'd like to suggest that we brain storm ways to do what we all know needs to be done now rather than putting it all off.  What I mean is that money is always the problem.  We can't do what needs to be done because of money.  Is this just something that we must resign ourselves to understanding?  Is the only way forward (for those of us without money) to continue serving the hologram for money to do the things that need to be done?  The hologram money masters are just going to continue BAU until we turn into Zombies and eat each other for food.  Problem solved from their end.  The only thing that's going to stop that is us. 

Maybe we should consider finding a way to make money for a DD doomstead outpost.  Not so much for us, but for our children.  I just want to dig holes and grow food that does not require chemical inputs or fossil fuel energy.  I don't want money, just a warm shelter and good food to eat (and good drink to drink).  Emergency healthcare would be nice as well.  This isn't asking for much. 

I just feel like the time for all of us to take responsibility for the future is now.  Nobody else is going to do it. 

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
Happy Birthday to the Diner! I hope you can keep the lights on and the coffee hot for another year. Cheers -

Offline whoneedsacleanroom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »
 :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:  Happy Anniversary Diner's from a native (CYPM) AKA Sunkist.  I'm heading over to the concert here but wanted to say what a privilege it has been for me to watch this website grow from a Yahoo message board! I'm still a cog in a corporate wheel with less time every shift to read blogs and partake.  I'm topped out now and they are just looking for a reason to give me the boots.  :)  To that end Ive started 2 more MLMs.  Elec. is the new oil well in Texas and anywhere people can choose the delivery.  Hit me up if you wanna know more, why let all these other people get filthy rich and not us?  Take care y'all. ! Carole

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm BACK!  Hung Over, but back.

Last night after work was a 6 hour marathon getting 2 articles up on the blog, setting up the PAHHHTY Board, getting the threads started, making Links, blah, blah, blah.  Needless to say while engaged in these exciting management tasks which often go exeedingly slow due to my cell phone wireless access, I drink copious quantities of fermented Hops and Barley.

Glad to see the PAHHHTY is still going strong after stumbling across the cabin from my bed to the desk with the laptop on it.  Basically I have 3 pathways  can sorta walk through without tripping over Preps or Debris in the Cabin, Entrance to Desk, Desk to Bathroom, Bathroom to Bed.  Going straight from Bed to Desk is dangerous without first going to the bathroom.  LOL.

Nice to see Jb stop in, and CYPM Carole also.  I figured out her MLM acronym, Mainstream Living Method. Apparently in addition to her regular job as a NURSE, Carole is now Brokering Electricity in TX.  Our UE folks here LD and WHD might be interested in making some FRNs off this Scam also.

I'm thinking of moving the Community Doomsteading Thread over here to the Party Board for the Week, since that is the Hot Thread going and this way visitors could contribute ideas there also.

Anyhow, if you aren't at the computer all day, no biggy, the Party goes on all Week here.  I'm hoping some of the Bloggers we cross post will stop in, but if not, oh well.

For those of you who did not get a copy of the full Feb 2012 issue of the Diner Webzine via email from me, I am going to talk to Peter about getting file size limits increased in the media library so we can store them there.  I haven't been able to figure that out yet.  I'm also going to set up a ScribD account for the Diner and put them up there.  When it's up, I will let y'all know, as CYPM would say.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Round Table: What Goes Around, Comes Around
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Recently here in the Diner in the Community Doomsteading thread we have been discussing the logistics of setting up a Physical Doomstead Diner.  Is this a NEW idea?  No, it's been bandied about since the beginning of the Reverse Engineering Yahoo Group.

From 4 years ago in March 2009:

> It might be fun to discuss some kind of Anarchist/Tribal
> Constitution/Bill of Rights here, without the noise of the main
site.
>
> Imagine that you're in a situation where society as we know it has
> broken down. You need to ensure that the future doesn't veer off
into
> barbarism. Do you have a template for local governance?

I think the first thing necessary is to establish your own Survival
Clan. Might just be a few families, but it should be more than one
Doomsteader. Nobody is going to make it alone.

Once you have a Survival Clan together, you should establish a
Council, and have a Representative. Then you should try to hook up
with other Clans in your area to try to establish how to defend and
protect your entire area, and begin the process of either trading for
food or growing it or hunting and fishing it.

I would try to get the total size up to somewhere between 1-200
people involved, no more than that to begin with while you work out
the kinks in that size organization.

Reverse Engineer

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Roamer and I skyped yesterday and discussed how we would manage this 150 acres of land in Western NC.  We talked for about two hours and we have a similar vision for what needs to be done.  Namely Permaculture.  The land owner is in his 70's and just looking for some younger people to husband his land sustainably.  The property is 48 miles from me. 

My vision is a permaculture haven with a tribe of people all devoted to the land.  Tomorrow I'm gonna call the land owner and talk with him, and if all goes well I'll be going to the property to assess it in person within a week.  Too much synchronicity to ignore.  I just turned 33 and Tuesday will be a year since I resigned from the Matrix, began training in permaculture, and left my house behind.  It may work out that I'm at his property on the 19th. 

Roamer has talked with the property owner several times now and has not gotten any red flags.  He's now waiting on me to meet the owner in person and to assess the land to see what my feelings are.  I'm planning to call the owner tomorrow. 

If all goes well I'll finish my prereq's for the nursing program (because I'm currently taking all but one...microbiology, which I'll take this summer regardless).  Roamer will move onto the property to live and get things going.  I'll be spending weeks at a time there during the summer and probably stay most of the fall.  If things are working out I'll forgo the nursing program.

There's a long way to go towards making this happen, but so far so good.  I'll keep ya'll posted. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
LD
being only 48 miles from home for you, you could even go there on weekends. Theres plenty of time off when studying so you can probably get enough done on your breaks, roamer could take care of watering. That way you dont need to drop out of the nursing course, which is a very important set of skills to learn.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME