AuthorTopic: The window of history where facts were known, but wrong decisions were made.  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The elites are willing to torpedo anything that impacts their income stream, and that's the only thing they worry about. They aren't particularly benevolent, most of them. This should come as no surprise to anyone who is observant.

Look at the absolute dismantling of the few mild environmental protections this country ever enacted........ that started the day Trump took office.

Look at the lies perpetuated daily on TV news.

How many things can you buy to eat that don't have Round-Up residue and don't contain GMO corn?

The good guys aren't winning and they haven't won much of anything since about 1980.

Yes, I'm an angry old man who thinks that people who post shit on the internet about saving the world, or helping the poor, or ending wealth inequality are a bunch of delusional fools.

Kumbaya, motherfuckers. Keep dreamin'.

Good on you for being able to filter content. That's a rare ability now, and not something even the  people who post here are able to do, even.

Take care of your own self, and the people you care about, as best you can. Use your own intelligence and make your own plan. Ignore most of what you read and see, because there's more bullshit than substance, to most of it.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Books that contain a lot of harsh truth don't tend to do well, while fantasies about any number of absolutely impossible scenarios sell like hotcakes.

This is the result of human nature.

Nowadays, of course, books are artifacts of a dying culture, and most readers are people who live their lives in their own heads, anyway.

We have a new emerging culture that is similar, and you can even see it playing out among doomers and preppers. That is.......a whole new group of people who live their lives vicariously watching utube videos made by other people who actually DO things, while they themselves get through life plugged into whatever suck-ass place in the matrix they have drifted into.

I'm convinced vicariously watching others do things for entertainment is an insidious drug.  Passivity breed passivity.

Some people also seem hobbled by seeing only their immediate surroundings incapable of mentally seeing a bigger picture.  They are as lost as those who only see a bigger picture.  A proper adjustment is a point on the middle of a saddle shaped surface and any deviation from the center location produces a unique vector of maladjustment.

Books require imagination.  Video only requires eyes.  In time we become what we eat.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:18:26 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Books that contain a lot of harsh truth don't tend to do well, while fantasies about any number of absolutely impossible scenarios sell like hotcakes.

This is the result of human nature.

I agree there's a sizable portion of humanity that can't really handle harsh truths.
What I do wonder from time to time though is, how much of the diffusion of those 'heavy duty' truths were in fact torpedoed by 'rationalizing' "elites" ; I'm sure their motives were pure ... [cough] ... but how would history have unfolded had a certain number of these key facts been diffused unimpeded.

As for vicarious Youtubing, I would never do that, as I'm a professional content filterer !
It's a lot of work, you wouldn't believe the ratio of dumb\vile shit to authentic gems there is out there !  ;D

Is Aldo your designer guru ?

Ashvin has one as well. We could start a club.

Knarf will be my designer guru  :icon_sunny: He gets it.....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
As for vicarious Youtubing, I would never do that, as I'm a professional content filterer !
It's a lot of work, you wouldn't believe the ratio of dumb\vile shit to authentic gems there is out there !  ;D

Some would.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline UnhingedBecauseLucid

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
 :exp-wink:

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Just a quick note:

I've since sent my finding to a few 'collapse' related blogs. Got thanks from Kunstler, JM Greer and Ugo Bardi.
Bardi even offered to publish it as a guest article if I'd give it the appearance of a post.
I was glad at first... but if it was going to published, I'd rather have the original text appear for the proper 'record'.

I finally found it digitized and accessible for free on India's Digital Library, and since Ugo suggested I prettied it up a little, I formatted it on a free floating web page using one of Google Drive newest options.

https://sites.google.com/view/disturbinghindsight/home

**The mustache man is actually Lord Cunliffe (1855-1920), GBE, Governor of the Bank of England (1913-1918)
but for the purpose of this post, he'll pose as the fictional Lord Edwards Tantamount ... !

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Just a quick note:

I've since sent my finding to a few 'collapse' related blogs. Got thanks from Kunstler, JM Greer and Ugo Bardi.
Bardi even offered to publish it as a guest article if I'd give it the appearance of a post.
I was glad at first... but if it was going to published, I'd rather have the original text appear for the proper 'record'.

I finally found it digitized and accessible for free on India's Digital Library, and since Ugo suggested I prettied it up a little, I formatted it on a free floating web page using one of Google Drive newest options.

**The mustache man is actually Lord Cunliffe (1855-1920), GBE, Governor of the Bank of England (1913-1918)
but for the purpose of this post, he'll pose as the fictional Lord Edwards Tantamount ... !

I'll publish it as is on the Diner Blog if you like.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Of course you'd be welcome to RE ! ....  :).

My re-translation, was reasonably adequate, but originals are always better.
For those interested, here is the link to the digitized original English version book I used as source for putting up on the Google Drive page :

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.16250/page/n7

( The excerpt is on page 77 )
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:46:42 AM by UnhingedBecauseLucid »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Of course you'd be welcome to RE ! ....  :).

My re-translation, was reasonably adequate, but originals are always better.
For those interested, here is the link to the digitized original English version book I used as source for putting up on the Google Drive page :

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.16250/page/n7

( The excerpt is on page 77 )

It will be a couple of weeks.  I have a hefty backlog in the queue.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Just a quick note:

Congratulations. Beware the karma of fame.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Thanks, but no need to worry; tomorrow is back to absolute fucking drudgery in a steel workshop.
Being "published" will tickle my fancy a bit ... but never enough to prevent me from remaining grounded...

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Just a quick note:

And I caught myself saying 'and somebody took my phosphorus' this week.  I downloaded the PDF and put it on a special 3 terabyte drive that I only use for backup in a new folder called Books.

By the way the attitude of Lord Edwards about phosphorus was the same attitude I took about resources in general as a young man.  I determined that if I ever became rich it would be important to keep my consumption within limits.  I did not develop the apprehension of money ruining the earth from a book.  I came up with it on my own.  Back then I realized that people would not be strong enough to rearrange their attitudes about money and progress with a new reality but later I forgot.  Then I remembered.  The stain of mankind was something I was very much aware of. Reading about phospoprus was like reading about myself.

The attitudes of Lord Edwards being so novel did not go very far for me and they did not become more defined for years.  You think about the money tie in and then remember you have to eat.  Then money is a necessary evil and  a state of furious rage results if anyone gets a sniff of your confusion.  Too bad really, a little more thinking makes the situation clear but that is too scary so instead you split because:

"Parallel straight lines never intersect Lord Edwards. So on this Iíll take my leave and wish you a good evening.

The roots of doom are deep but considering how difficult it is for people deal with doom, learning that doom attitudes have suffered from neglect for decades should be no surprise.

" The only result of your progress, is that in a few generations, there will be a real revolution, -- a natural, cosmic revolution. You are in the process of destroying the equilibrium. Ultimately, nature will re-establish it. And that progress will make you feel quite uneasy. Your fall will be as fast as your ascensionÖ Even more so in fact, because you will be bankrupted, you will have wasted your capital. It takes a certain time for a man to accumulate all the resources to make him rich. But once all is acquired, it doesnít take long for him to starve to death.

A natural, cosmic revolution and off Seneca Cliff we slide!  It will happen.

And all we had to do was change our ways but going against the social grain was too hard. 

I also would comfort myself with the ridiculous thought that smart brains were working the problem, which of course is nonsense.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:17:29 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Thanks, but no need to worry; tomorrow is back to absolute fucking drudgery in a steel workshop.
Being "published" will tickle my fancy a bit ... but never enough to prevent me from remaining grounded...

And if you farted out a manuscript and a major publisher sent you an advance check for $200K you would stay grounded right?

Just saying, we know that world has gone never to return.