PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 💻 Collapse Computer Calamities

AuthorTopic: 💻 Collapse Computer Calamities  (Read 1286 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
💻 Collapse Computer Calamities
« on: March 02, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
Hey Eddie, whatever happened with your laptop?  Reapaire?  New one?  Still on Backup?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 💻 Collapse Computer Calamities
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
Got the machine back with a new hard drive and new speakers which it badly needed. It doesn't seem to run exactly right, got some mouse issues, maybe some residual bit of malware that didn't die when my hard drive did...not sure.

Cost me 500 bucks,,,,,probably should have just bought a new computer. I did pay extra for a new 500 gig HD, could have put in a 250 gig used one and saved 125 bucks, but I went for the new one.

All my 2F authentication for cryptos like the Authy app was lost, and it looks like I'll have to talk to a human to get that back up. They updated to the new Mac OS, whatever it is now, and that's a little foreign. My machine is not the machine it used to be, in other words. At least it's easier to type, but I was getting used to typing on the Samsung finally, anyway.

Teacher daughter was telling me to back up to the cloud with Google Drive, which apparently includes a lot of data storage for free. Need to get that going so I won't get  my data wiped out next time.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
Got the machine back with a new hard drive and new speakers which it badly needed. It doesn't seem to run exactly right, got some mouse issues, maybe some residual bit of malware that didn't die when my hard drive did...not sure.

Cost me 500 bucks,,,,,probably should have just bought a new computer. I did pay extra for a new 500 gig HD, could have put in a 250 gig used one and saved 125 bucks, but I went for the new one.

All my 2F authentication for cryptos like the Authy app was lost, and it looks like I'll have to talk to a human to get that back up. They updated to the new Mac OS, whatever it is now, and that's a little foreign. My machine is not the machine it used to be, in other words. At least it's easier to type, but I was getting used to typing on the Samsung finally, anyway.

Teacher daughter was telling me to back up to the cloud with Google Drive, which apparently includes a lot of data storage for free. Need to get that going so I won't get  my data wiped out next time.

Google drive is excellent for backup.  You get a lot of free storage, but really it's unlimited because you can make multiple accounts.  I have 3 Google accounts.  You should also have your own external hard drive and backup to that.

In your situation with the data lost anyhow, I would have definitely bought a new computer rather than fix that one up.  The issue with Macs though of course is they are so overpriced.

I in fact just got a new computer, which I will debut here on the Diner probably next week sometime.  I'm in the process now of reconfiguring my office area since the Kitchen is now finished.  It needs to be adapted to put in the new computer, which I currently have up and running but am still configuring.  I'm not retiring the Dell All in One, that one will remain the computer I work at most of the time.  I am networking everything up though and setting an automatic backup of files from one computer to the other so the hard drives will always be identical and if one crashes, I can immediately switch over to the other one.  Also auto-backup to my two external hard drives, a 1 TB model and a 4 TB model.  The 4 TB model I bought while visiting Brian, who collects movies.  He gave me over 1000 titles that take up a little over a TB of the 4 TB drive.  I also will keep my two laptops running and backup to those as well so when I travel I can seamlessly move to the Diner Mobile Control Center setup in the Bates Motels I stay at during the Adventure.  I have a few adventures planned for this summer assuming I am still above ground.

Short of an EMP, I am basically Bulletproof now on the computer end of things.  :icon_sunny:  Wait till you see the new unit!  It's impressive, to say the least.  ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
Nice...

I like to think that I don't keep anything important on my computer anyway, but it's becoming less true, because I archive shit like tax returns..it's not like they're gone, but I no longer have a quick copy to access, stuff like that. And I want to do more writing.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »
Nice...

I like to think that I don't keep anything important on my computer anyway, but it's becoming less true, because I archive shit like tax returns..it's not like they're gone, but I no longer have a quick copy to access, stuff like that. And I want to do more writing.

Definitely do more writing.  We can publish your book in serail format on the Diner Blog as you finish Chapters.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🖥️ RE gets a new Supercomputer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
OK Diners, here it is - The NEW RE Diner Control & Command Center SuperComputer!

click the pic to enlarge
RE SuperComputer
RE SuperComputer

Yes, that is a FULL SIZE 17" Laptop sitting in front of my new 32" Monitor.

Here's what is powering that behemoth of a monitor:

It is what is called a "small form factor" tower.  The box is actually small enough for me to put in an airline carry-on wheely bag with room left over for a change of clothing and my toiletries if I wanted to bring it along for a ride. It has all the advantages of a tower though, all the innards are easily upgradeable and replaceable, unlike with laptops.

Jealous yet?  :icon_mrgreen:

Here's the Specs:

- Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz, High Performance 4th Generation Processor.
- 16 GB DDR3L Ram / 240 GB 2.5 Inch Sata Solid State DrivE (SSD).
- Dual Monitor Support (HDMI + VGA), Newest 4th Generation Processor, DVD-RW, Brand New KeyBoard & Mouse, Wireless WIFI, 6 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA, 2 x Display output Ports, RJ-45.
- Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit). Comes With Dell Genuine Windows 10 Professional Re Installation Disc.

The i7 is Intel's current top of the line processor.  My laptop shown in the pic has an i3 processor, so does my All-in-One desktop unit.

Once you go to one of these big screen computers, you never want to go back to working on a laptop most of the time.  If I was still working I would have one of these at home, one at my desk at work and only use my laptop for travelling or trips to the Internet Cafe.  It's a totally different computing experience.

OK, now the Diner Kewpie Doll Contest of the Week:  If you can guess within $200 what I paid for this combo you get a Kewpie Doll to add to your collection.  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:30:08 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 06:52:15 PM »
$789 & Big Jeff pick'd up the tab on front stoop delivery  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:05:09 PM »
$789 & Big Jeff pick'd up the tab on front stoop delivery  :icon_mrgreen:

Bozos did indeed pick up the tab on the delivery :) .  I'll let you know how close you came  at the end of the contest.  Gotta give time for other Diners to hazard a guess.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 05:21:56 AM »
I haven't priced computers in so long, I don't have a clue. Is it brand new or a refurb?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 07:08:07 AM »
I haven't priced computers in so long, I don't have a clue. Is it brand new or a refurb?

If you know the answer to that, it's a lot easier to estimate.  The answer is Refurb, so now you need to be inside $100 to win the Kewpie Doll.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:10:24 AM »
I'll go low. $400?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 07:35:23 AM »
I'll go low. $400?

I'll let you know how close you came  when I end the contest.  I'll give Diners one more day to submit a guess.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
I'll go low. $400?

I'll let you know how close you came  when I end the contest.  I'll give Diners one more day to submit a guess.

RE
Letís review the bidding:is this cold just the laptop or does it include the tower and monitor?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »
I'll go $350 but I'm jaded.  I found out that idiots will scrap year old top of the line laptops for stupid reasons and a couple of local recycling places fix them up and sell them cheap.  I can do this because I'm by a big city but wonder if there might not be a business opportunity to offer them online for a commission?  They get so many they only pick out the best.  The rest get toasted.

Working on my blog app I made a 'tool'.  Single click save!  Backs everything up in one file.  It is a full size screenshot so click on it to see the whole thing.  When this admin panel loaded up on my screen it read the most recent backup file so clicking the button makes a new file with '17' in the name.  It rolls over at 99 on back to 00.  Looking in the folder where the backup goes only the most recent five copies are kept and making a new backup deletes the oldest.  I'm not safe until I move the file to a memory stick and load it on my laptop but it is a lot easier to do now.  As soon as I get a new feature working I click.  The backup tool backed itself up as its first job.  That was slick!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:18:09 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
I'll go low. $400?

RE
Letís review the bidding:is this cold just the laptop or does it include the tower and monitor?

Tower + Momitor..  A computer isn't much good without the monitor.

RE
Save As Many As You Can