AuthorTopic: 💻 Collapse Computer Calamities  (Read 1288 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
💻 The NEW Diner Super Computer: Further thoughts
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »
As Monsta mentioned, the i7 is NOT the state of the art of Intel chips anymore, they are appaerently now up to an i9.  ::)  I'm not keeping up on my tech specs.

However, it is still a far superior processor to the ones in my Dell All-in-One Desktop computer (2.5 years old) and my Dell full size 17" laptop.  Both of those sport an i3 processor.  The new unit is significantly faster.

In terms of replacement, this follows my basic cycle of getting a new computer every 2-3 years.  I only had one laptop I kept longer than that, a Win XP model I kept for 5 years before it went south.  I really liked WinXP, I think it was the best OpSys the Big Gorilla ever produced.

I replace them this often for a few reasons.  First off, the technology improves so rapidly, after 2 years your unit is long in the tooth and can have trouble running the latest in apps and so forth.  The computers also pick up malware over time, slowing them down or outright crashing them.  You can buy protection or have them cleaned out, but I like to have a good recent model, although not usually the hottest one on the shelf at the Big Box store.  Or these days on Amazon, which is where I got this unit.

It's also the first refurbished unit I have ever purchased, and at this point I am HOOKED on buying refurbs instead of new.  Originally listing # $1400 new, it's now 1/3rd the price.  It has a 250 GB Solid State Hard Drive, and one of those new by itself goes over $200.  Those things about never die, there are no mechanical parts to give out.  Third, it came without any Bloatware clogging up the Start menu, just the basics on it of Win10.  By itself that makes a refurb a much better buy than new.

Right now, I actually have FIVE computers in good working condition.

1- The NEW Dell Small Form Factor Tower with 32" Monitor.  Win 10 OpSys.

2- Dell All-in-One Destop with 22" Screen

3- Dell Full size 17" Laptop.  Dual Boot Win10 & Linux

4-  Dell Compact 11" Laptop, Win10 OpSys

5- Acer 10" Compact Laptop, Linux OpSys

My two Dell Laptops I brought in last year to my Computer Repair Jockeys and had them completely refurbed with a brand new install of Win, more RAM, andd a SSD for the larger laptop.  I picked up the Acer at that time when I went in to pick up my refurbed units, it was on the shelf selling for $100.  How could I resist?  lol.

Anyhow, this habit costs me less than $1000/year, far less than I spend on other worse habits.  It's great when you have really well operating machines to work on, as well as Backup.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline BuddyJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: 🖥️ RE gets a new Supercomputer
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
Jealous yet?  :icon_mrgreen:

Here's the Specs:

- Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz, High Performance 4th Generation Processor.
- 16 GB DDR3L Ram / 240 GB 2.5 Inch Sata Solid State DrivE (SSD).
- Dual Monitor Support (HDMI + VGA), Newest 4th Generation Processor, DVD-RW, Brand New KeyBoard & Mouse, Wireless WIFI, 6 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA, 2 x Display output Ports, RJ-45.
- Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit). Comes With Dell Genuine Windows 10 Professional Re Installation Disc.

The i7 is Intel's current top of the line processor. 

A 4th generation I7 is top of the line? 4th generation can't be much newer than a 4 year design at this point. Did the salesman forget to mention the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th generation I7's? Or i9's?

Maybe this is as good as it gets in the Optiplex series? As opposed to the Precision series?

Quote from: RE
OK, now the Diner Kewpie Doll Contest of the Week:  If you can guess within $200 what I paid for this combo you get a Kewpie Doll to add to your collection.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Not near as much as you should have if top of the line is what you actually wanted?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 03:13:29 AM »
Jealous yet?  :icon_mrgreen:

Here's the Specs:

- Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz, High Performance 4th Generation Processor.
- 16 GB DDR3L Ram / 240 GB 2.5 Inch Sata Solid State DrivE (SSD).
- Dual Monitor Support (HDMI + VGA), Newest 4th Generation Processor, DVD-RW, Brand New KeyBoard & Mouse, Wireless WIFI, 6 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA, 2 x Display output Ports, RJ-45.
- Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit). Comes With Dell Genuine Windows 10 Professional Re Installation Disc.

The i7 is Intel's current top of the line processor. 

A 4th generation I7 is top of the line? 4th generation can't be much newer than a 4 year design at this point. Did the salesman forget to mention the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th generation I7's? Or i9's?

Maybe this is as good as it gets in the Optiplex series? As opposed to the Precision series?

Quote from: RE
OK, now the Diner Kewpie Doll Contest of the Week:  If you can guess within $200 what I paid for this combo you get a Kewpie Doll to add to your collection.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Not near as much as you should have if top of the line is what you actually wanted?

I have already been corrected on that one.  You're not keeping up with the posting.  I also responded to the post as well.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »

To be honest real life performance difference between a 4th generation i7 and 9th generation i7 is marginal. This is especially true if you are not a heavy user using virtual machines, large extensive Photoshop editing etc. In my personal experience the biggest performance boost I got in the last 10 years was when I shifted from a regular HD to a SSD as my primary hard drive. The difference is night and day making stuff like new processors or RAM a secondary consideration. People are still in the mindset that Moore's law is alive and well and a PC made two years ago is well on the road to becoming obsolete. The reality is Moore's law - at least from processor end - is dead. If you bought a top of the line PC two years ago it is still more than good enough for everyone but the most demanding users.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 07:53:53 PM »

To be honest real life performance difference between a 4th generation i7 and 9th generation i7 is marginal. This is especially true if you are not a heavy user using virtual machines, large extensive Photoshop editing etc. In my personal experience the biggest performance boost I got in the last 10 years was when I shifted from a regular HD to a SSD as my primary hard drive. The difference is night and day making stuff like new processors or RAM a secondary consideration. People are still in the mindset that Moore's law is alive and well and a PC made two years ago is well on the road to becoming obsolete. The reality is Moore's law - at least from processor end - is dead. If you bought a top of the line PC two years ago it is still more than good enough for everyone but the most demanding users.

I find the same things to be true.  The only software I still have an issue with is Sketchup, the massive file I created is just too big.  I think also the limitations may be in Sketchup itself.  Otherwise, it's lightning fast editing video, which is my only regular high intensity processing requirement.  I'm not a gamer.

RE
Save As Many As You Can