AuthorTopic: Cleaning houses. What I saw makes me never want to be rich.  (Read 159 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Cleaning houses. What I saw makes me never want to be rich.
« on: March 04, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »

Let me tell you something you already know: Your housekeeper spies on you.

We work alone. We get bored. What do you expect?

I worked for a company cleaning houses for two years. It was flexible. It paid well enough. I didn't think of it as a career, or identify with it; it was just what I did to get myself through college as a single mom.

At first I didn't snoop. When they set me off on my own with a white binder containing directions for each house, I just dropped my daughter off at day care and went.

I found the houses on little winding roads, the hidden keys tucked under gnomes or rugs. I parked my car where it wouldn't drip oil on their driveway, lugged my tray of supplies inside, and called to clock in, standing by picture windows overlooking the ocean, looking at the perfectly manicured lawn, the chairs around the deck, the path down to the dock, and the boat that glittered even in the rain. I cleaned, and I moved on. I had 20 clients and two or three houses a day to get to, anyway.

But after a few months, my boss told me to clean slower.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i-spent-2-years-cleaning-houses-what-i-saw-makes-me-never-want-to-be-rich
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning houses. What I saw makes me never want to be rich.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:40:29 PM »
If you put this on for me, thanx! I really enjoyed her story.
  Now here's my cleaning houses for 30 years story. I chose my clients, they didn't hire me. I could tell who was "right" for needing my type of cleaning. I charged by the house not hourly. Basically I charged about $50 per house, which underbid most everyone else. Plus I had references form a Judges wife, a professors wife, and two Dr.'s wives. A lot of my new customers knew of the people I cleaned for because they had been in the news. I used very few products to clean. slightly dish soapy water ( mirrors, shower stalls, counters, appliances, keep my dust rag moist ), some kind on nice smelling furniture polish, or air scent ( I would spray it in the room i was to dust and vacumn.), and soft scrub with bleach, (for stains and bleaching the toilet slightly - always done by hand) , and I cleaned floors on my hands and knees. We cleaned one house that had two lawyers living there, made $60 in 40 minutes. That was every week week for about ten years.  I would clean for about 3-4 hours a day , and at one point had two other monks working with me.
  But the coolest thing about housecleaning is meditating, and letting the imagination go about the family dynamics of the people in the house. What you "have" tells a lot about you, and I cleaned accordingly. I have hundreds of family stories and melodrama. I loved doing that kind of work, plus it didn't hurt my hands ( like carpentry, our cabinet building/installing ).
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning houses. What I saw makes me never want to be rich.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »
If you put this on for me, thanx! I really enjoyed her story.
  Now here's my cleaning houses for 30 years story. I chose my clients, they didn't hire me. I could tell who was "right" for needing my type of cleaning. I charged by the house not hourly. Basically I charged about $50 per house, which underbid most everyone else. Plus I had references form a Judges wife, a professors wife, and two Dr.'s wives. A lot of my new customers knew of the people I cleaned for because they had been in the news. I used very few products to clean. slightly dish soapy water ( mirrors, shower stalls, counters, appliances, keep my dust rag moist ), some kind on nice smelling furniture polish, or air scent ( I would spray it in the room i was to dust and vacumn.), and soft scrub with bleach, (for stains and bleaching the toilet slightly - always done by hand) , and I cleaned floors on my hands and knees. We cleaned one house that had two lawyers living there, made $60 in 40 minutes. That was every week week for about ten years.  I would clean for about 3-4 hours a day , and at one point had two other monks working with me.
  But the coolest thing about housecleaning is meditating, and letting the imagination go about the family dynamics of the people in the house. What you "have" tells a lot about you, and I cleaned accordingly. I have hundreds of family stories and melodrama. I loved doing that kind of work, plus it didn't hurt my hands ( like carpentry, our cabinet building/installing ).

Thanks Knarf  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind