AuthorTopic: Small-Scale Organic Farming Poised to Save the World — Here’s How  (Read 429 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile

Local, Small-Scale Organic Farming Poised to Save the World — Here’s How

March 26th, 2019

By Carolanne Wright

Contributing writer for Wake Up World

When a strongly worded report by the U.N. Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) was published in 2013, about the need for an immediate shift in our agricultural practices to avoid serious consequences, it largely fell on deaf ears in the United States. Through the examination of agricultural practices worldwide, the U.N. discovered that unless we radically transform our current food system, food insecurity, drought and social unrest will become the norm rather than the exception. But the report didn’t just address the severe ramifications of using harmful methods of agriculture, it also provided concrete solutions.
Wake Up Before it is Too Late

https://wakeup-world.com/2019/03/26/local-small-scale-organic-farming-poised-to-save-the-world-heres-how/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Small-Scale Organic Farming Poised to Save the World — Here’s How
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »

March 26th, 2019

By Carolanne Wright

When a strongly worded report by the U.N. Commission on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) was published in 2013, about the need for an immediate shift in our agricultural practices to avoid serious consequences, it largely fell on deaf ears in the United States. Through the examination of agricultural practices worldwide, the U.N. discovered that unless we radically transform our current food system, food insecurity, drought and social unrest will become the norm rather than the exception. But the report didn’t just address the severe ramifications of using harmful methods of agriculture, it also provided concrete solutions.

https://wakeup-world.com/2019/03/26/local-small-scale-organic-farming-poised-to-save-the-world-heres-how/
I remember that original UN report. It kind of disappeared because right after its publication fossil fuel prices took a nosedive changing a lot of the economic arguments. I'm sure the world will come to remember it as fuel prices rise again or the current system cannot meet needs anymore. I like the food I grow and talk up food security and local whenever I can but most of the people in my world simply dont seems to give a shit where their food comes from, how its grown or the long term costs of cheap food.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 11:04:07 AM »

March 26th, 2019

By Carolanne Wright

I remember that original UN report. It kind of disappeared because right after its publication fossil fuel prices took a nosedive changing a lot of the economic arguments. I'm sure the world will come to remember it as fuel prices rise again or the current system cannot meet needs anymore. I like the food I grow and talk up food security and local whenever I can but most of the people in my world simply dont seems to give a shit where their food comes from, how its grown or the long term costs of cheap food.

It is clear that when BAU farming fails (and it has to) then the people who eat will be the people who can raise food using the best techniques of organic gardening. It won't be food forests than keep most people alive. That's a fantasy.

In the short run I expect to see some technological progress on climate controlled greenhouses and indoor farming under lights...but that won't get us through a bottleneck.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »
Um, I have not seen much about urban farming for calories. That is the kicker that the headlines miss. Urban farms seem to be all about produce; so high value perishable crops. Calories though keep you alive. Preaching to the converted I know...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:21:58 PM »

In Reviving Detroit Part 3, over 2,000 abandoned lots have been refurbished on Detroit’s east side, making way for 25,000 trees. Hantz Woodlands is working to revitalize 140 acres in the community by converting its vacant parcels into tree nurseries with hopes of creating livable neighborhoods.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I5wekB5IpHA&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/I5wekB5IpHA&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind