AuthorTopic: Zombie Lifeboats  (Read 4860 times)

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Lifeboats
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
cause I can't help it...

I remember crying in the theater when I was 14 years old watching this movie for the second time. 

It was years before I cried again.  I'm Aspergian...we don't cry easily.

Curiously enough, I saw that movie on a whim, when I was 24. I had moved to a strange place (So Cal) where I didn't know anybody. And it was like a kind of revelation for me too.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mSNsHDPAmOo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mSNsHDPAmOo</a>

Online monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
Monsta, Desert Storm refugee?  Really?  Well let me apologize for my association with Amerrrka...We aren't all dog shit here.  Real Americans don't do tyranny in any form.  I'm a REAL American.  I told the navy to suck it after 9/11 and I didn't care what the consequences were.  They stuck my ass in a solitary cage with nothing but bread and water over it.

No apology required Lucid. I do know from my limited experience most Americans are not evil at heart; they are for the most part good people it is just they can be a bit ignorant on certain matters and because of that can be easily lead by pieces of propaganda. I should also add that the US probably has the most sophisticated propaganda machine ever devised by mankind. I have not spent much time in the states but even my brief time there I could feel the strength of the hologram. Sure the hologram exists in Britain also but everything seems to be up a notch in the states. Like the world is America.

Also in terms of empire or dominant powers the US is not much worse than previous empires. If the British were the ones running the show today I am sure they would behave in a similar ditto for Germany and the Arab states. In that token we cannot point the finger too hard because any country would behave the same if given the chance. Best thing to do is direct your anger at the people at the top who do actually commit the actual crimes and unlike average Joe they know exactly what they are doing.

I have been reading Marine Corp training manuals and one of the Marines I hope actually comes has studied military history non stop since he returned from Vietnam. He says one will need at least eight men for a fire team; the least number possible to man a 24 hour watch until things settle down. You will need to fortify your lifeboat so that if you are attacked by 30 men you can show them that although they might take you it will cost them to do it. I think if you make a good show of force any possible attackers will leave you alone. They will find out quick what it means to get shot in the arm with no medics, hospitals and the like. There will be many soft targets unfortunately so if you prove your teeth have a bite they will probably look elsewhere. And the truly crazy ones wont last long but I am worried about them the most (you won't be able to read their motives). One must try to understand their enemy in a tactical situation.

It is real issue this security issue and it is one thing I cannot fathom on many mainstream doomer/prep sites. In many of the more mainstream sites there almost seems to be an assumption that landownership contracts will be honoured in the event of collapse. And not only that but no thought is given that if you did build a truly awesome doomstead with lots of food, solar panels, clean and heated water the works this doomstead would not become the target of envious zombies. Now I am not sure what can be done about if your doomstead gets confiscated by the government or you are faced with a big enough mob that is well armed or totally crazy but the assumption of no attacks and contracts holding up is very strong. So strong in fact that to speak of these topics is to be marked as an nutter by the group. At least that is the impression I get. It does seem perplexing that a person can believe in collapse of the economy and its monetary system but not consider these possibilities. I think you are right the best that one can manage is to device a defence strategy that is sufficiently strong to deter opportunists from attacking the Foxstead.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 08:45:48 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mSNsHDPAmOo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mSNsHDPAmOo</a>

Too bad Mel lost his head figuratively, after that.

Let's not become martyrs, necessarily, saving potential zombies. But yeah, stand up to those who would deprive you of life and liberty.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »

Too bad Mel lost his head figuratively, after that.

Let's not become martyrs, necessarily, saving potential zombies. But yeah, stand up to those who would deprive you of life and liberty.

See what I mean ;D

Don't worry William, I've got to be backed into an immovable corner before I switch to unmitigated violence in defense of righteousness.  As in, let us live so that we can let live.  Let us grow so that we can sustain health.  But if need be, the war mold was my prototype.  Forged in though shalt not pass and what not. 

Interestingly, it's said that the Druid stood in the middle of the battle field and stopped war. 

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »
Interestingly, it's said that the Druid stood in the middle of the battle field and stopped war. 

Something like that.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »
I make no real claims to authenticity in the things that I say...other than the claim that I try to live authentically. 

Real simple equation for me.  My epiphany today was the ternary.  I re-remembered it and applied it to my situation.  Basically I just checked in to see what condition my condition was in 8)

The dude abides

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
The dude abides

:emthup:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »

Well, my last name is Duncan, which is an old Scot name, so maybe it will be a little like coming home for me to, if there are that many of you out there.  :icon_mrgreen:

Like Duncan Macleod, the Highlander.  :icon_mrgreen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_j6_H-PSml0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_j6_H-PSml0</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
while we're at it, no thread descended into youtube clips would ever be complete without some Seagal. 

I found this more than fitting in regards to Appalachia and the Foxstead being populated by Northerners. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQLOf8sPYCg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PQLOf8sPYCg</a>

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
cause I can't help it...

I remember crying in the theater when I was 14 years old watching this movie for the second time. 

It was years before I cried again.  I'm Aspergian...we don't cry easily.

Curiously enough, I saw that movie on a whim, when I was 24. I had moved to a strange place (So Cal) where I didn't know anybody. And it was like a kind of revelation for me too.

some how I missed this comment in the melee.  The synchronicity that has abounded the Foxstead since it's conception has my head reeling.  I mean it's thick right now.  I'm starting to really question that last six minutes of brain activity.  I mean, it's scary to think that you could be living on borrowed time.  But then isn't all time essentially borrowed.  All time past right now at least. 

This might blow your mind a bit more.  That summer, of 1994 when Braveheart came back to theater for the first time after it's original airing...before it was made available on VHS at the local video store, I came back to SoCal to visit family. 

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 03:44:52 AM »
I should also add that the US probably has the most sophisticated propaganda machine ever devised by mankind. I have not spent much time in the states but even my brief time there I could feel the strength of the hologram. Sure the hologram exists in Britain also but everything seems to be up a notch in the states. Like the world is America.

Monsta, You are absolutely right about the Strength of the Hologram here in the belly of the beast. Nothing that is not already predigested for its ability to reinforce the story promulgated by the Washington Consensus ever makes it to air on TV here. In fact, TV is in the business of rewriting our already written history. "He who controls the present controls the future," and all that. Even online, as Julian Assange has noted, Facebook is the single greatest surveillance tool ever devised by man.

I have been reading Marine Corp training manuals and one of the Marines I hope actually comes has studied military history non stop since he returned from Vietnam. He says one will need at least eight men for a fire team; the least number possible to man a 24 hour watch until things settle down. You will need to fortify your lifeboat so that if you are attacked by 30 men you can show them that although they might take you it will cost them to do it. I think if you make a good show of force any possible attackers will leave you alone. They will find out quick what it means to get shot in the arm with no medics, hospitals and the like. There will be many soft targets unfortunately so if you prove your teeth have a bite they will probably look elsewhere. And the truly crazy ones wont last long but I am worried about them the most (you won't be able to read their motives). One must try to understand their enemy in a tactical situation.

It is real issue this security issue and it is one thing I cannot fathom on many mainstream doomer/prep sites. In many of the more mainstream sites there almost seems to be an assumption that landownership contracts will be honoured in the event of collapse. And not only that but no thought is given that if you did build a truly awesome doomstead with lots of food, solar panels, clean and heated water the works this doomstead would not become the target of envious zombies. Now I am not sure what can be done about if your doomstead gets confiscated by the government or you are faced with a big enough mob that is well armed or totally crazy but the assumption of no attacks and contracts holding up is very strong. So strong in fact that to speak of these topics is to be marked as an nutter by the group. At least that is the impression I get. It does seem perplexing that a person can believe in collapse of the economy and its monetary system but not consider these possibilities. I think you are right the best that one can manage is to device a defence strategy that is sufficiently strong to deter opportunists from attacking the Foxstead.

This remains a serious concern. It is hard to consider the implications of defending your position, but defend it we must, and will. I chalk up the habits of mind you describe above to utopianists, or to normalcy bias. When the wheels come off the wagon, we'll just putter along much as today, but with no cops, no fire department, and gardening. Just like Little House on the Prairie.

And it's not as if TPTB haven't considered these issues, given the many zombie-themed entertainments they have hawked up for our consumption as "entertainment."
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 04:08:20 AM »
Just REMEMBER, NOBODY INCLUDING THE ILLUMINATI expects a SPANISH INQUISITION!

First you GET MAD, then you GET EVEN!

TAKE NO PRISONERS!

RE
Save As Many As You Can