AuthorTopic: Quotes Thomas Sowell  (Read 1056 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Quotes Thomas Sowell
« on: April 29, 2019, 04:49:47 AM »
Good morning Diners, Thought I would start the day with something different, from our too long dormant Education thread,  some quotes from a most distinguished educator. 

"We seem to be moving steadily in the direction of a society where no one is responsible for what he himself did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did, either in the present or in the past."

"Too many journalists see their work as an opportunity to promote their own pet political notions, rather than a responsibility to inform the public and let their readers and viewers decide for themselves."

"Those who are always accusing people in the private sector of ‘greed’ almost never accuse government of greed, no matter what it does."

"When someone tries to lay a guilt trip on you for being successful, remember that your guilt is some politician's license to take what you worked for and give it to someone else who is more likely to vote for the politician who plays Santa Claus with your money."

"The fundamental difference between equal treatment and equal performance is repeatedly confused. In performance terms, virtually no one is equal to anyone. The same individual is not even equal to himself on different days."

“I cannot understand people who say that minorities should be represented everywhere and yet are upset when there are blacks represented in the conservative movement.”

"You cannot subsidize irresponsibility and expect people to become more responsible."

"Much of what is promoted as 'critical thinking' in our public schools is in fact uncritical negativism towards the history and institutions of America and an uncritical praise of the cultures of foreign countries and domestic minorities."

“Anyone who studies the history of ideas should notice how much more often people on the political left, more so than others, denigrate and demonize those who disagree with them — instead of answering their arguments.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes Thomas Sowell
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 05:05:23 AM »
Good morning Diners, Thought I would start the day with something different, from our too long dormant Education thread,  some quotes from a most distinguished educator. 

This is an Appeal to Authority argument, and moreover it is just the opinion of TS. 

Appeal to authority is a common type of fallacy, or an argument based on unsound logic. When writers or speakers use appeal to authority, they are claiming that something must be true because it is believed by someone who said to be an "authority" on the subject.

As such, it carries no weight on the Diner. -1 Points in the Grand Debate.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 05:57:55 AM »

This is an Appeal to Authority argument, and moreover it is just the opinion of TS. 

Appeal to authority is a common type of fallacy, or an argument based on unsound logic. When writers or speakers use appeal to authority, they are claiming that something must be true because it is believed by someone who said to be an "authority" on the subject.

RE

I made no such claims. I presented the gents quotes, and noted he was a most distinguished educator.

Of course  his quotes are his opinions, what did you think I thought they were??  :icon_scratch:

Forget about your dislike of his opinions and check his resume. He is, as stated a most distinguished educator.

As to your grading of me, it's a demonstration of your view that you are an authority, let me assure you that it is merely, as you state of Mr Sowell, your opinion.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »

RE

I made no such claims. I presented the gents quotes, and noted he was a most distinguished educator.

Of course  his quotes are his opinions, what did you think I thought they were??  :icon_scratch:

Forget about your dislike of his opinions and check his resume. He is, as stated a most distinguished educator.

As to your grading of me, it's a demonstration of your view that you are an authority, let me assure you that it is merely, as you state of Mr Sowell, your opinion.

You are using the opinions of TS to present an argument which you haven't written for yourself.

I am not interested in the resume of TS, it's his ideas you present here, not his resume.

Far as my authority goes, here on the Diner I am the final authority.  I can send the whole thread to the Great Beyond, which is precisely what I will do if you pursue this line of argument.

RE
Save As Many As You Can