AuthorTopic: Paranoia will annoia, and how can we know?  (Read 1739 times)

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Yeah, ten years is way too long and we lose the next one too.  But then so does everybody else.

North Korean cargo ship seized by US arrives in American Samoa

Us and NK playing checkers. Unlike many, I am old enough to recall the seizure of the USS Pueblo.

Good call on that. Me too. Old school false flag Full steam ahead. This otta' sell some chevy's & soap on the telly  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm going to disagree.  Americans do not know this happened.  I got the article from a Saudi Arabian Newspaper so nothing is getting sold on our TV by this.  This is a Diner exclusive.  The ship was seized to provoke Rocket man or to remind him who is boss but the fact that shit was being stirred with a stick was not for American public consumption.  Or did we all forget we do not have a right to know. 

I also remember when the USS Pueblo got a parking ticket for parking in downtown Pyongyang.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:22:37 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Yeah, ten years is way too long and we lose the next one too.  But then so does everybody else.

Us and NK playing checkers. Unlike many, I am old enough to recall the seizure of the USS Pueblo.

Good call on that. Me too. Old school false flag Full steam ahead. This otta' sell some chevy's & soap on the telly  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm going to disagree.  Americans do not know this happened.  I got the article from a Saudi Arabian Newspaper so nothing is getting sold on our TV by this.  This is a Diner exclusive.  The ship was seized to provoke Rocket man or to remind him who is boss but the fact that shit was being stirred with a stick was not for American public consumption.  Or did we all forget we do not have a right to know. 

I also remember when the USS Pueblo got a parking ticket for parking in downtown Pyongyang.

And I am going to disagree with you. The USS Pueblo was a Navy spy ship, ID'd by the Navy as an "environmental research ship." It was engaged in "environmental research" off the NK coast when it was intercepted by North Korean patrol boats. The U.S. claimed the Pueblo was in international waters almost 16 miles from shore, but the North Koreans turned their guns and demanded its surrender. The Americans attempted to escape, and the North Koreans opened fire, wounding Commander Lloyd Bucher and two others.

Pueblo's crew as frogmarched to Pyongyang for a show trail, where they were charged with spying within North Korea’s 12-mile territorial limit and imprisoned. they were then offered some of North Korea's finest accommodations and encouraged to sign false confessions. They were filmed with middle fingers extended, explaining to their captors that oil was the "Hawaiian good luck sign." When Uncle Kim's boys caught on, they punished the prisoners with beatings, cold temperatures and sleep deprivation, according to a lawsuit later filed by some of the Pueblo’s crew against the Kim government.

Eventually Bucher signed some sort of statement admitting guilt, and within a year there was a settlement in which the US admitted the ship’s intrusion into North Korean waters, apologized, and pledged to cease any future such action. The surviving 82 crewmen were then released.

The reason I am so read in on the USS Pueblo is that the reporting of this episode made a huge impact on me at the time as a freshman and sophomore in college. I can say that this and Sy Hersh's reporting on My Lai changed my perspectives forever.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Paranoia will annoia, and how can we know?
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
Reality Avoidance

It’s quite amazing how the news is endlessly about race, or gender, or an election that is 1.5 yrs away. Filler, is what I call it. Very little of this has anything to do with reality, which the Mainstream Media and the American people avoid like the plague. What then is real?

1. The empire is in decline; every day, life here gets a little bit worse; all our institutions are corrupt to varying degrees; and there is no turning this situation around.

2.A crucial factor in this decline and irreversibility is the low level of intelligence of the American people. Americans are not only dumb; they are positively antagonistic toward the life of the mind.

3.Relations of power and money determine practically everything. The 3 wealthiest Americans own as much as the bottom 50% of the population, and this tendency will get worse over time.

4.The value system of the country, and its citizens, is fundamentally wrong-headed. It amounts to little more than hustling, selfishness, narcissism, and a blatant disregard for anyone but oneself. There is a kind of cruelty, or violence, deep in the American soul; many foreign observers and writers have commented on this. Americans are bitter, depressed, and angry, and the country offers very little by way of community or empathy.

5.Along with this is the support of meaningless wars and imperial adventures on the part of most of the population. That we drone-murder unarmed civilians on a weekly basis is barely on the radar screen of the American mind. In essence, the nation has evolved into a genocidal war machine run by a plutocracy and cheered on by mindless millions.

Most Americans hide from these depressing, even horrific, realities by what passes for ‘the news’, but also by means of alcohol, opioids, TV, cell fones, suicide, prescription drugs, workaholism, and spectator sports, to name but a few. This stuffing of the Void is probably our primary activity. In a word, we are eating ourselves alive, and only a tiny fraction of the population, recognizes this. - Morris Berman

https://morrisberman.blogspot.com/

* Morris needs to understand that the American public is so dumb they don't even know they are dumb.  Pointing it out thus only pisses them off.  Pointing it out is dumb.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:52:40 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Paranoia will annoia, and how can we know?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »
Reality Avoidance

It’s quite amazing how the news is endlessly about race, or gender, or an election that is 1.5 yrs away. Filler, is what I call it. Very little of this has anything to do with reality, which the Mainstream Media and the American people avoid like the plague. What then is real?

1. The empire is in decline; every day, life here gets a little bit worse; all our institutions are corrupt to varying degrees; and there is no turning this situation around.

2.A crucial factor in this decline and irreversibility is the low level of intelligence of the American people. Americans are not only dumb; they are positively antagonistic toward the life of the mind.

3.Relations of power and money determine practically everything. The 3 wealthiest Americans own as much as the bottom 50% of the population, and this tendency will get worse over time.

4.The value system of the country, and its citizens, is fundamentally wrong-headed. It amounts to little more than hustling, selfishness, narcissism, and a blatant disregard for anyone but oneself. There is a kind of cruelty, or violence, deep in the American soul; many foreign observers and writers have commented on this. Americans are bitter, depressed, and angry, and the country offers very little by way of community or empathy.

5.Along with this is the support of meaningless wars and imperial adventures on the part of most of the population. That we drone-murder unarmed civilians on a weekly basis is barely on the radar screen of the American mind. In essence, the nation has evolved into a genocidal war machine run by a plutocracy and cheered on by mindless millions.

Most Americans hide from these depressing, even horrific, realities by what passes for ‘the news’, but also by means of alcohol, opioids, TV, cell fones, suicide, prescription drugs, workaholism, and spectator sports, to name but a few. This stuffing of the Void is probably our primary activity. In a word, we are eating ourselves alive, and only a tiny fraction of the population, recognizes this. - Morris Berman

https://morrisberman.blogspot.com/

Every word true. He's been writing on this theme through a number of related books. Dark Ages America was my Saul-on-the-read-to-Damascus moment in encountering Berman and crystallizing thoughts on the hopelessness of our way of life.

It's a rich vein to mine, and goes right to the very center of American earth. Maybe his next book will be, "The Stuffing of the Void."

Puts me in mind of Paul Levy and other writers who have explored the subject of "wetiko" as a descriptor of our soul-sickness. Wetiko is an Algonquin word for a cannibalistic spirit driven by greed, excess, and selfish consumption. Wetiko is a sickness of soul and spirit. the native peoples in North America were stunned by contact with western colonizers:

"We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and the winding streams with tangled growth as “wild.” Only to the White man was nature a “wilderness” and only to him was the land infested by “wild” animals and “savage” people. To us it was tame. Earth was bountiful and we were surrounded with the blessings of the Great Mystery. Not until the hairy man from the east came and with brutal frenzy heaped injustices upon us and the families we loved was it “wild” for us."
~ Luther Standing Bear, Land of the Spotted Eagle

It’s delicate confronting these priests of the golden bull
They preach from the pulpit of the bottom line
Their minds rustle with million dollar bills
You say Silver burns a hole in your pocket
And Gold burns a hole in your soul
Well, uranium burns a hole in forever
It just gets out of control.

– Buffy Sainte-Marie, “The Priests of the Golden Bull”

Another the illness is the illusion of "control." As I get older, I am fortunate to be able to control my own bladder. Mostly. The Helmsmen of the Universe control only a tiny bit more. The world is full of unintended consequences. I'm confident that USAnians will be stepping on any number of rakes very soon.

Another reason Morris Berman lives in Mexico.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 03:34:25 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Paranoia will annoia, and how can we know?
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
Stuffing of the void was a great line!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:51:30 AM by K-Dog »

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog

This is real.  Illegal transport of coal.

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Paranoia will annoia, but how can we know?
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »
Can alternative energy save the day?

You decide.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia will annoia, but how can we know?
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »
Can alternative energy save the day?

You decide.

That should keep my laptop charged up.  If the internet has gone dark, I can finally write my novel!  :icon_sunny:  No worries.

RE
Save As Many As You Can