AuthorTopic: A 2,624-Year-Old Tree Has Just Been Found Growing in a Swamp in America  (Read 169 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile

Along the Black River in North Carolina, bald cypress trees have been quietly growing for millennia. Quite literally so: Scientists recently found trees over 2,000 years old – including one that is at least 2,624 years old.

That makes it the fifth-oldest known non-clonal tree in the world. (Utah’s Pando, an ancient quaking aspen forest, reproduces asexually, by cloning itself from an 80,000-year-old root system.)

Another nearby tree was found to be 2,088 years old – and geoscientists believe that more bald cypresses (Taxodium distichum) in the Three Sisters Swamp could be the same age or even older.

“There are surely multiple over 2,000-year-old trees at Black River,” geoscientist David Stahle of the University of Aransas told The Charlotte Observer.

“It’s my belief there are some approaching, if not exceeding, 3,000 years old.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-2-624-year-old-tree-has-just-been-found-growing-in-a-swamp-in-america?fbclid=IwAR0SNcSjSxlcU-D-SKq2xEGM81vM-Iu3OG__emkGI4l_qyHI8PN2FyAeFps
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind