AuthorTopic: Snapping the Spine of Uncle Cracker  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Snapping the Spine of Uncle Cracker
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2020, 07:55:07 AM »
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds

Bob Marley

You can free your mind, but your Meat Package is not free of the need for $MONEY$.

RE

It's a conscious choice to play he game or not. Knarf has a lived a life largely free of all that. To some degree, so have you.

I was born poor, and so money has always been something that I was very aware made a huge difference how people live...and I made e a conscious choice to pursue a career that would make me financially comfortable. On the other hand, I never felt the need to be insanely rich......I was lucky I wasn't sucked into the money world. Now I know investment bankers...but as a kid I never thought about a career on WS or anything like that. It simply wasn't even on my radar. I'm glad.

Whether the "choice to play the game" is conscious or not is interesting to con sider. Guess it depends, like so many things, on definitions. Once CAN opt out, but the system doesn't make it easy. for your meat package, anyhow.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow?"

Most of the people that I would consider "successful" got off the wetiko wagon and internalized the concept of "Enough." That means different things to different people; but I suspect most people on this thread have or are within grasp of "enough." Investment bankers and hedge fund traders will NEVER have enough, and wander th earth like zombies looking for souls to consume.

The truth is that without some tangible assets that deliver an income stream.... in our current system...once you retire or otherwise have to live on a fixed income....dsability, pension, SS.....whatever it might be...your lifestyle can't help but be eroded over time, as inflation in the prices of food and fuel and necessities of life price you out.  This is why "enough" for me means owning a few assets that can hopefully offset that.

And both of you get that.....let's not play games.

The Bob Marley quote is good, because it reminds me that the hamster wheel of modern existence does not have to make me into a hamster.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2020, 08:41:24 AM »
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds

Bob Marley

You can free your mind, but your Meat Package is not free of the need for $MONEY$.

RE

It's a conscious choice to play he game or not. Knarf has a lived a life largely free of all that. To some degree, so have you.

I was born poor, and so money has always been something that I was very aware made a huge difference how people live...and I made e a conscious choice to pursue a career that would make me financially comfortable. On the other hand, I never felt the need to be insanely rich......I was lucky I wasn't sucked into the money world. Now I know investment bankers...but as a kid I never thought about a career on WS or anything like that. It simply wasn't even on my radar. I'm glad.

Whether the "choice to play the game" is conscious or not is interesting to con sider. Guess it depends, like so many things, on definitions. Once CAN opt out, but the system doesn't make it easy. for your meat package, anyhow.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow?"

Most of the people that I would consider "successful" got off the wetiko wagon and internalized the concept of "Enough." That means different things to different people; but I suspect most people on this thread have or are within grasp of "enough." Investment bankers and hedge fund traders will NEVER have enough, and wander th earth like zombies looking for souls to consume.

The truth is that without some tangible assets that deliver an income stream.... in our current system...once you retire or otherwise have to live on a fixed income....dsability, pension, SS.....whatever it might be...your lifestyle can't help but be eroded over time, as inflation in the prices of food and fuel and necessities of life price you out.  This is why "enough" for me means owning a few assets that can hopefully offset that.

And both of you get that.....let's not play games.

Your nut gets smaller the closer you live to the land and the less demand you have for cash. But someone reading for comprehension would realize that "enough" means different things to different people.

The Bob Marley quote is good, because it reminds me that the hamster wheel of modern existence does not have to make me into a hamster.

The point of my post.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2020, 08:47:37 AM »

It's NEVER enough for people consumed by the GREED of the Capitalist system.  $5M in assets is not enough, your Financial Manager tells you that you need $10M for Financial Security in your Old Age.  You always need MOAR when you buy into the system.

RE

Either missing the point,or ignoring it. Some people are not consumed by Greed. $5M in assets? Bahahahahaha... yet my widow's mite is "enough."

I got less than a Widow's Mite.  It's PLENTY!  Have you seen what I EAT? JFC, I eat better than Kings of yesteryear, and certainly better than Billionaires like Trumpovetsky who subsist on Big Macs.  Finishing up Fish week for Diner Specials, guess what we are offering up next week?   :icon_sunny:

For some people though, this is not enough.

RE

Vegan?

As I said to Eddie, "enough" is on a sliding scale. And the retirement income that has you comfortable today will have you at 80 per cent of comfortable in five years, given the ruling class' expertise is sieving wealth out of the pockets of workers through inflation and monetary games.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
White supremacists and racist terrorists pose greatest risk of violence
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2020, 04:19:55 AM »
White supremacists and racist terrorists pose greatest risk of violence, FBI warns

A member of the Ku Klux Klan shouts at counter protesters amid the Charlottesville rally in 2017.

By Ben Feuerherd
White supremacists and racist domestic terrorists pose the largest threat of violence in the United States amid nationwide protests across the country, according to a new intelligence bulletin.

The bulletin — which was sent to local law enforcement by the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and National Counterterrorism Center and reported by ABC News — warns of threats by left-wing and anarchist groups as well.

But it barely mentions Antifa as a potential violent group — though federal lawmakers have called for the loosely affiliated movement to be labeled a terror group amid nationwide protests against police brutality.

“We assess the greatest threat of lethal violence continues to emanate from lone offenders with racially or ethnically motivated violent extremist ideologies and [domestic violent extremists] with personalized ideologies,” the bulletin states, according to ABC News.

In addition, militias and right-wing racist groups are seeking to start a second American Civil War by targeting protests, according to the report.

“Militia extremists and [groups] who advocate a belief in the superiority of the white race have sought to bring about a second civil war, often referred to as a ‘Boogaloo’ by intentionally instigating violence at First Amendment-protected activities,” the bulletin states.

Widespread media attention and online posts be extremists are likely to contribute to potential violent acts, it adds.

The memo adds that left-wing and anarchist groups pose the greatest threat to police officers and the potential destruction of police and government property.

“Anarchist extremists continue to pose the most significant threat of targeted assaults against police, as well as targeting government buildings and police vehicles for damage, sometimes with improvised incendiary devices,” the bulletin states.

The document only mentions the existence of Antifa once in a footnote, according to the report, noting that some anarchists self identify as “Antifa.”

Amid the uprisings, Antifa has been a target for President Trump, who has threatened to label them a terrorist organization.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Trump can't stop losing
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2020, 06:31:21 AM »
Trump can't stop losing: The past few weeks have been the worst of his presidency
Donald Trump is in full retreat on all fronts, and he's bitter and angry about it. You do love to see it

Donald Trump is losing. He's losing nationally in the polls. He's losing in battleground states. He's losing in the streets. Every day when he wakes up and turns on the news, he is losing. He can't escape it. He is a loser.

He is losing his precious Supreme Court. Twice in one week, the court ruled against him on matters near and dear to his heart. On Monday, the court handed him an unexpected defeat as two conservative justices, including Trump's hand-picked buddy-boy Neil Gorsuch, ruled that gay and transgender Americans are covered by the Civil Rights Act's Title VII and cannot be fired or discriminated against in hiring simply because they are gay or transgender. On Thursday, Chief Justice John Roberts joined the four liberals in deciding against the Trump administration's attempt to end the DACA program, ruling that Trump's order to cancel the program had been ham-handed and "arbitrary and capricious."

He is losing to John Bolton, the former national security adviser and a man he called a "dope," whose book, "The Room Where It Happened," to be published next week, has already made headlines and sent Trump into paroxysms of anger and despair. Bolton, who refused to testify before the House impeachment committee or to provide testimony at Trump's trial in the Senate, didn't add much to the Ukraine bribery scandal, but he did admit that he had gone to Trump's lackey of an attorney general, Bill Barr, and reported on Trump's penchant for "doing favors for his favorite dictators." He quoted Secretary of State Mike Pompeo calling Trump "full of shit," echoing his first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, who called him a "fucking moron." Zing.

He is losing to his generals. After using National Guard troops to clear the wayfor his disastrous Bible-toting photo op at St. John's Church and threatening to put active duty troops on the streets of Washington to suppress protests, he was forced to withdraw all National Guard troops from the capital. Then Secretary of Defense Mark Esper gave the order to send home the active duty Army units Trump had called up and stationed outside D.C. at Joint Base Andrews. Several former high-ranking military officers, including former Defense Secretary James Mattis and retired Navy Adm. Michael Mullen, wrote articles critical of Trump's proposed use of American soldiers against protesting American citizens. Even active duty generals reacted strongly, with Gen. Mark Milley, current chairman of the Joint Chiefs, writing a cleverly coded letter to the rest of the joint chiefs reminding them of their oath to the Constitution, including their obligation to defend its guarantee of free speech and assembly.

He is losing to the protesters. Demonstrations in Washington caused Trump to erect a 10-foot-high fence around the White House, two miles of it by some accounts. And yet the protests against the killing of black men and boys by police go on, and the protesters keep coming. Two blocks of 16th Street near the White House have been renamed "Black Lives Matter Plaza." Thousands in Washington are still protesting police brutality, and against Trump himself. Trump disappeared into a bunker in the basement of the White House at the height of the demonstrations. He has been surrounded.

He is losing to Muriel Bowser, the mayor of Washington, D.C. In addition to painting "Black Lives Matter" in gigantic yellow letters on the street in sight of the White House, she demanded that National Guard and active duty troops be removed from her city, and Trump was forced by his own generals to comply. Muriel Bowser is in charge in Washington, not Trump.

He is losing to Colin Kaepernick. The commissioner of the NFL, Roger Goodell, made a video admitting that the NFL made a mistake when it sought to bar players from "taking a knee" in protest against police brutality. At least two NFL coaches and one team owner have shown interest in signing Kaepernick "if the timing and the fit" are right, according to Fox News. If they ever get the NFL season going this fall, it will be a nightmare for Trump as he watches players take a knee during the National Anthem in protest against police brutality.

He is losing to Aunt Jemima. On Wednesday, Quaker Oats announced that it will completely change the name and brand due to its racist stereotypes. Three other brands that used racist stereotypes quickly followed suit: Uncle Ben's rice, Mrs. Butterworth's syrup, and Cream of Wheat hot cereal. All these brand changes come in reaction to the recent killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Rayshard Brooks by police, and to the subsequent protests. Trump's reflexive support of police and "law and order" is backfiring on him. A recent Washington Post poll found that 70 percent of Americans say that police killings of blacks are a sign of "broader problems." That number was 43 percent only a few years ago. Major companies around the country have made announcements in support of Black Lives Matter. The dog whistles and racist code that Trump has used for four years no longer work. 

He is losing to himself. Trump has become an American Viktor Yanukovych, the Ukrainian president overthrown in that nation's 2014 revolution. His violent reaction to the peaceful protest outside the White House, when he used police SWAT teams and National Guard troops and tear gas and swinging nightsticks to clear the way for his insane photo op, only served to inspire more protests, not less. The violent suppression of that protest set off the revolt of the generals. His promotion of violence on Twitter — "when the looting starts the shooting starts" — finally motivated Twitter to circumscribe his access to their platform and to add clarifying comments to some of his lies. Even Facebook recently took down some Trump campaign ads that made use of Nazi-style symbols, saying they "violated our policy against organized hate." Police violence against protesters is leading to arrests of some abusive police officers. Even a few Republican senators are edging away from Trump, albeit gingerly.

He is losing to the very forces he unleashed to win the White House. He lit the fires of racism and hate, and they are consuming him. By actively promoting racism again and again, he shined a light on the ugliness that has always been there, and now that people see it clearly, they are recoiling from him. Demonstrations against racism and hate have exploded across the country. People are sick and tired of Trump and of what he represents. They are in the streets to feel better about the country and themselves, and they are going to stay there until they have a chance to rid themselves of him at the ballot box. It's wonderful to see. It's profound. It's Shakespearean.

Donald Trump is losing. He is in retreat. It isn't Black Lives Matter that's on trial. It's Trump. He has been forced into a defensive crouch and he's scared. This is the moment we have waited for. Pay attention. Remember these days. They will go down in history.

Lucian K. Truscott IV, a graduate of West Point, has had a 50-year career as a journalist, novelist and screenwriter. He has covered stories such as Watergate, the Stonewall riots and wars in Lebanon, Iraq and Afghanistan. He is also the author of five bestselling novels and several unsuccessful motion pictures. He has three children, lives on the East End of Long Island and spends his time Worrying About the State of Our Nation and madly scribbling in a so-far fruitless attempt to Make Things Better. He can be followed on Facebook at The Rabbit Hole and on Twitter @LucianKTruscott.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Top military officer labels Confederacy as treasonous as Pentagon takes ‘hard look’ at rebel ties

The military’s top officer on Thursday described Confederate leaders as traitors and said he is taking a “hard look” at renaming 10 Army installations that honor them, despite President Trump’s opposition to any changes.

“The Confederacy, the American Civil War was fought, and it was an act of rebellion,” the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark A. Milley, told members of the House Armed Services Committee. “It was an act of treason at the time against the Union, against the Stars and Stripes, against the U.S. Constitution, and those officers turned their back on their oath.”

The Army is now about 20 percent black, he said.

“For those young soldiers that go onto a base — a Fort Hood, a Fort Bragg or a fort wherever named after a Confederate general — they can be reminded that that general fought for the institution of slavery that may have enslaved one of their ancestors,” he said.

Last month, Trump rejected calls to rename installations after Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper signaled a willingness to do so, saying his administration “will not even consider” that plan.

Milley stopped short of offering a policy prescription for how to handle the installation names, which has become a flash point at the Pentagon, as the nation grapples with the history of racism in the wake of George Floyd’s death at the hands of police in May.

The installations, all in former Confederate states, were named with input from influential local residents during the Jim Crow era. The Army courted their buy-in because it needed large swaths of land to build bases during the military buildups of World War I and II.

That decision was political, Milley told the committee, and renaming the installations would also be a political move.

Army Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called Confederate symbols within the U.S. military divisive during a House hearing on July 9. (Photo: Michael Reynolds/Pool via Reuters/Reuters)

Two of the Army’s biggest installations are named after Confederate commanders and avowed white supremacists.

Fort Bragg in North Carolina, the headquarters of the Special Forces, bears the name of Gen. Braxton Bragg, who is often assailed as one of the most bumbling commanders in the Civil War. Fort Benning in Georgia, the home of Army infantry and airborne training, is named after Brig. Gen. Henry Benning, who laid out the protection of slavery as the motivation for secession in a speech in 1861.

The other bases named after Confederate commanders are forts Lee, Pickett and A.P. Hill in Virginia, forts Polk and Beauregard in Louisiana, Fort Hood in Texas, Fort Gordon in Georgia and Fort Rucker in Alabama.

The Pentagon has also considered a blanket ban on the Confederate flag in public places at all military installations.

During the hearing, Milley and Esper also jostled with lawmakers over reports about an alleged Russian program to pay militants bounties to attack U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan that may have resulted in American deaths. Esper and Milley said defense intelligence agencies could not corroborate the information.

At one point, Esper said he had not received an intelligence report that specifically used the word “bounty” but later said he received reports that broadly mentioned payments.

During the hearing, Esper also defended the use of National Guardsmen to aid police as protests over Floyd’s death spread across the country. National Guard troops were alongside law enforcement as authorities removed demonstrators from Lafayette Square near the White House on June 1 so that Trump could visit a nearby church.

The Guardsmen “did not advance on the crowd,” fire rubber bullets or use chemical agents such as tear gas. Their role was static support, Esper said.

But lawmakers criticized what occurred hours later as a much more kinetic action. Helicopters from the D.C. National Guard — whose chain of command goes directly to the Pentagon — roared over protesters as low as 45 feet from the ground, an analysis by The Washington Post found.

Esper launched an investigation into the use of the helicopters. The report is under review with the Pentagon’s inspector general and could go to the committee next week, Esper said.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Top military officer labels Confederacy as treasonous as Pentagon takes ‘hard look’ at rebel ties

<div class="metadata singleline"><a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/alex-horton/?utm_term=.c77831808f32" class="byline"><span>Alex Horton</span>[/url]</div>
<section>
<div>
<p>The military’s top officer on Thursday described Confederate leaders as traitors and said he is taking a “hard look” at renaming <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/06/10/trump-confederate-bases/?itid=lk_inline_manual_2" target="_blank">10 Army installations[/url] that honor them, despite President Trump’s opposition to any changes.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>“The Confederacy, the American Civil War was fought, and it was an act of rebellion,” the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark A. Milley, told members of the House Armed Services Committee. “It was an act of treason at the time against the Union, against the Stars and Stripes, against the U.S. Constitution, and those officers turned their back on their oath.”</p>
</div>
</section>
<div>
<p>The Army is now about 20 percent black, he said.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>“For those young soldiers that go onto a base — a Fort Hood, a Fort Bragg or a fort wherever named after a Confederate general — they can be reminded that that general fought for the institution of slavery that may have enslaved one of their ancestors,” he said.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>Last month, Trump <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/06/10/trump-confederate-bases/?itid=lk_inline_manual_9" target="_blank">rejected calls to rename installations[/url] after Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper signaled a willingness to do so, saying his administration “will not even consider” that plan.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>Milley stopped short of offering a policy prescription for how to handle the installation names, which has become a flash point at the Pentagon, as the nation grapples with the history of racism in the wake of George Floyd’s death at the hands of police in May.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>The installations, all in former Confederate states, were named with input from influential local residents during the Jim Crow era. The Army courted their buy-in because it needed large swaths of land to build bases during the military buildups of World War I and II.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>That decision was political, Milley told the committee, and renaming the installations would also be a political move.</p>
</div>
<div>
<figure>
<div>
<p>Army Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called Confederate symbols within the U.S. military divisive during a House hearing on July 9. (Photo: Michael Reynolds/Pool via Reuters/Reuters)</p>
</div>
</figure>
</div>
<div>
<p>Two of the Army’s biggest installations are named after Confederate commanders and avowed white supremacists.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>Fort Bragg in North Carolina, the headquarters of the Special Forces, bears the name of Gen. Braxton Bragg, who is often assailed as <a href="https://books.google.com/books?id=NZb-CwAAQBAJ&pg=PA1853&lpg=PA1853&dq=braxton+bragg+worst&source=bl&ots=OJNfkBQJmX&sig=ACfU3U1NtshC83NX-1iMGe1sDdHMwa6YIA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjazuyvkPjpAhXcQjABHeNRDaU4ChDoATAFegQIDBAB#v=onepage&q&f=false" target="_blank">one of the most bumbling commanders in the Civil War[/url]. Fort Benning in Georgia, the home of Army infantry and airborne training, is named after Brig. Gen. Henry Benning, who laid out the protection of slavery as the motivation for secession in a speech in 1861.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>The other bases named after Confederate commanders are forts Lee, Pickett and A.P. Hill in Virginia, forts Polk and Beauregard in Louisiana, Fort Hood in Texas, Fort Gordon in Georgia and Fort Rucker in Alabama.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>The Pentagon has <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/pentagon-considering-a-base-wide-ban-on-confederate-flags/2020/07/06/0cdbabde-bfcd-11ea-864a-0dd31b9d6917_story.html?itid=lk_inline_manual_20" target="_blank">also considered a blanket ban[/url] on the Confederate flag in public places at all military installations.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>During the hearing, Milley and Esper also jostled with lawmakers over reports about an alleged Russian program to pay militants bounties to attack U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan that may have <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/russian-bounties-to-taliban-linked-militants-resulted-in-deaths-of-us-troops-according-to-intelligence-assessments/2020/06/28/74ffaec2-b96a-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html?itid=lk_inline_manual_21" target="_blank">resulted in American deaths[/url]. Esper and Milley said defense intelligence agencies could not corroborate the information.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>At one point, Esper said he had not received an intelligence report that specifically used the word “bounty” but later said he received reports that broadly mentioned payments.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>During the hearing, Esper also defended the use of National Guardsmen to aid police as protests over Floyd’s death spread across the country. National Guard troops were alongside law enforcement as <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/06/08/timeline-trump-church-photo-op/?arc404=true&itid=lk_inline_manual_24" target="_blank">authorities removed demonstrators from Lafayette Square[/url] near the White House on June 1 so that Trump could visit a nearby church.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>The Guardsmen “did not advance on the crowd,” fire rubber bullets or use chemical agents such as tear gas. Their role was static support, Esper said.</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>But lawmakers criticized what occurred hours later as a much more kinetic action. Helicopters from the D.C. National Guard — whose chain of command goes directly to the Pentagon — roared over protesters as low as 45 feet from the ground, an <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/investigations/helicopter-protests-washington-dc-national-guard/?itid=lk_inline_manual_27" target="_blank">analysis by The Washington Post found[/url].</p>
</div>
<div>
<p>Esper launched an investigation into the use of the helicopters. The report is under review with the Pentagon’s inspector general and could go to the committee next week, Esper said.</p>
</div>

More virtue signaling.

I'd be happy if they CLOSED  all the bases named after Southerners. Bu the Pentagon is doing the same thing the corporations are doing.....trying to conduct successful public relations in a country with changing racial demographics. You actually know this without me having to say it. The Pentagon has every reason to get in line here, and it has nothing to do with treason...or racial justice. It's simply pragmatic.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner

More virtue signaling.

The only "virtue signaling™," another right wing trope, is yours. A little ditty I like to call, 'The Full Kuntsler."